'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 6 1/2-point underdogs...  (Read 5875 times)

ecompt

• All American
6 1/2-point underdogs...
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »
sounds about right, based on our last two games.

madtownwarrior

• All American
Re: 6 1/2-point underdogs...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
unless a dramatically improved offense and improved effort level from Thursday happens, I don't see covering the spread.  ASU can score, MU has not shown they can so far...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
I also don't believe ASU has played a top 100 defense yet. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »
sounds about right, based on our last two games.

Until I see proof otherwise I'm taking the under and giving the points
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
Until I see proof otherwise I'm taking the under and giving the points

Yep. I know we've been rough early in previous years, but this feels different. It's not like shots are rimming out. Although confidence is such a big part of the game, especially shooting, it can change quickly.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Sounds about right. Im nervous for tonight, ASU is good.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
What worries me a bit are the new rules relating to hand contact on defense.  Hurts us, favors a free-wheeling offense like ASU's, they're at home, and not sure about our confidence at this point.  Although it should be said that road games often provide a salve to shooting pathology (just something I've noticed over the years - not sure why).  That said, don't agree with the point spread, but who knows...I think it's a close game with ASU getting the edge...

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
I hate to say it but ASU will win, easily.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »
unless a dramatically improved offense and improved effort level from Thursday happens, I don't see covering the spread.  ASU can score, MU has not shown they can so far...

I would not touch this game. I am very curious to see if Buzz will make any adjustments to his rotations tonight.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
NCAA Rankings

Strength of Schedule: ASU-248 MU-264 (OSU game must be negated by cupcakes)
Points per game: ASU 41 - MU 288
Shooting %: ASU 67 - MU 331 (of 351)

My head says lay the points with ASU.  If we removed the team names and saw team A was at home and only laying 6.5-7.0 points to team B it would be an easy bet.  My heart says Buzz will make adjustments and  MU will come out of this shooting slump.  This is why I don't bet on my alma mater's games!  If PG Jahii Carson goes nuts it will be a long night.  GO MARQUETTE!

MU: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/269/marquette-golden-eagles
ASU: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/9/arizona-state-sun-devils
SOS: http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
Line has moved asu -7.5

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
Doesn't surprise me.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
I am excited to watch this game. We will see if Buzz has made any big changes. I hope to God that don't get embarassed, but regardless im interested to see what happens tonight. I also want to see how good Jahii Carson is.

Hopefully we can pull it off.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »
FWIW - The UNLV announcers said Jahii Carson reminded them of Isaiah Thomas from U. of Washington.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
I am excited to watch this game. We will see if Buzz has made any big changes. I hope to God that don't get embarassed, but regardless im interested to see what happens tonight. I also want to see how good Jahii Carson is.

Hopefully we can pull it off.

If Buzz does not make some adjustments, we could be starting a really ugly week for the Warriors.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
If Buzz does not make some adjustments, we could be starting a really ugly week for the Warriors.

On the positive side, I do think our defense will hold ASU below season averages and will at least contain Carson....they question is will the offense come up enough to make it competitive.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
I also don't believe ASU has played a top 100 defense yet. 

They have. UNLV is ranked 73 but I personally think that is high for them. They have also played Bradley, currently at 144. The rest are all outside the top 200.

We are top 5. They won't be able to put up the same numbers against us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
Worried about ASU three pointers

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
I like that 7.5 number for MU.

MU just doesn't give up many points. It'll be hard to beat them by 8+.

Final score might be 55-48.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »
What's wrong with you Warriors? Before the season started, everyone and their mother was picking this game as either a W or our "annual surprise road loss." We start 3-1, where the 1 is against a top 10 team, and all of the sudden we think this game is unwinnable? Ye of little faith!

We have a VERY GOOD TEAM!!! Yes our offense has struggled in the first few games, but we have a terrorizing defense. I know we all like watching offensive juggernauts, but that is not our team. We are going to make them work for every basket they score. They will be lucky to shoot 30% from the floor. We will never blow anyone out, but we will grind out wins. That is just as good as blowing them out. A win is a win is a win. Doesn't matter how we do it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »
I'm thinking that Jordan Bachynski is the key.  If we get the ball inside, and cause him to get into foul trouble, we're in good shape.

By now, all of MU's defenders know that Carson is uncomfortable going to his left.  That can be used to limit his effectiveness.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
What's wrong with you Warriors? ...
We have a VERY GOOD TEAM!!! ...

I think the concern is that if we play like we did against Southern, Ohio State or New Hampshire, we will most certainly lose this game, and lose it comfortably.  I don't know what to make of the Grambling game, since the oppponent was so poor.  So to win this game we will have to demonstrate a level of basketball well above what we have shown so far.  I'm not saying that is impossible or even unlikely, but you won't get rich betting on the hope that a particular team will play their best game of the season.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
Ignore our opening games. Buzz will have a game plan to kick some ASU AS#
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
Pomeroy has MU losing by 7 with a 21% chance of pulling out a win.  A total matchup of polar opposites.  If MU can get lucky and finally hit some early shots, then it will be close.  I suspect Buzz throws a lot of looks at Carson (man, zone, 3 quarters, both Wilson's, Todd) to slow him down...because if you stop him, you stop ASU.  

This is one game I wish MU still had McKay and DuWilson to run and stretch the court if MU gets down early.  

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
What's wrong with you Warriors? Before the season started, everyone and their mother was picking this game as either a W or our "annual surprise road loss." We start 3-1, where the 1 is against a top 10 team, and all of the sudden we think this game is unwinnable? Ye of little faith!

We have a VERY GOOD TEAM!!! Yes our offense has struggled in the first few games, but we have a terrorizing defense. I know we all like watching offensive juggernauts, but that is not our team. We are going to make them work for every basket they score. They will be lucky to shoot 30% from the floor. We will never blow anyone out, but we will grind out wins. That is just as good as blowing them out. A win is a win is a win. Doesn't matter how we do it.

Here's my concern, I still don't know if the roughly early start is a factor of bad shooting or a fundamental flaw in the team.  If it's a case of just "bad luck" on shots then I think we could definitely win, but if it is something wrong with the offense, no matter how good our defense is I don't know that we can score enough to keep up.