[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana squeaks one out at home tonight  (Read 59913 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Indiana squeaks one out at home tonight
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
As bad as our Southern game may have looked or been....could have been worse.  Indiana held off LIU - Brooklyn at home as LIU Brooklyn missed a close in shot at 4 second mark left.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Indiana squeaks one out at home tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »
As bad as our Southern game may have looked or been....could have been worse.  Indiana held off LIU - Brooklyn at home as LIU Brooklyn missed a close in shot at 4 second mark left.

K.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
Young team. Lots of talent. They'll get better. Plus, as noted, to most of the "cupcakes", these games are their superbowls.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
Crean is changing his shorts after that one

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap, etc.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
Words heard this weekend here...."Southern isn't a bad team, they went to the NCAAs last year as a 16 seed and gave Gonzaga a good game"

Makes you wonder if anyone would say this "Southern LIU-Brooklyn isn't a bad team, they went to the NCAAs last year and the year before and the year before making the NCAA tournament three straight years for the first time in school history" as a 16 seed and gave Gonzaga a good game"

LOL

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »
LIUB had two chances in the final 9 seconds to win the game .. would have been a stunner.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
LIUB had two chances in the final 9 seconds to win the game .. would have been a stunner.

Now don't go letting the facts get in the way of a good narrative and a lesson for all of us...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »
Good thing that buyout is only ~$14MM
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »
"LIU-B is a potential Final 4 team at this point in the season, every team is."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »
"LIU-B is a potential Final 4 team at this point in the season, every team is."

True statement.

I just checked over on the IU board to see if any fans had written "LIU-B is a good team, they made the NCAAs the last three straight years".  Didn't see it.  I guess we are a little more forgiving in our analysis of our opponents here.   ;)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
Words heard this weekend here...."Southern isn't a bad team, they went to the NCAAs last year as a 16 seed and gave Gonzaga a good game"

Makes you wonder if anyone would say this "Southern LIU-Brooklyn isn't a bad team, they went to the NCAAs last year and the year before and the year before making the NCAA tournament three straight years for the first time in school history" as a 16 seed and gave Gonzaga a good game"

LOL

MU won a game never really in doubt against a team that lost to a #1 seed in last year's tournament by 5. Indiana needed two missed shots in the final 5 seconds (one a layup) to get by a team that lost a play in game by 13 to a team that eventually lost as a #16 seed to a #1 seed by 21.

The team that Marquette beat solidly if unimpressively is favored to return to the NCAAs. LIU-Brooklyn is picked 3rd in their conference.

Finally, on one hand it's little old Marquette. On the other hand It's Indiana, It's Indiana is in year 6 of their 5 year plan to return to the top of college basketball's heap.

LOL indeed.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »
Crean is changing his shorts panties after that one

Death on call

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »
True statement.

I just checked over on the IU board to see if any fans had written "LIU-B is a good team, they made the NCAAs the last three straight years".  Didn't see it.  I guess we are a little more forgiving in our analysis of our opponents here.   ;)

That's funny. I just checked the LIU Bklyn boards and they can't believe they lost to a team that has only made the tourney twice in past five years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »

I just checked over on the IU board to see if any fans had written "LIU-B is a good team, they made the NCAAs the last three straight years".  Didn't see it.  I guess we are a little more forgiving in our analysis of our opponents here.   ;)

Decided to do a little fact checking on the IU board. Some quotes:

"I thought Crean did a very good job tonight. He pulled out a win when it looked like we would lose. This may be his year for COTY"

"Good game tonight! Our guys grew up a little. Glad to see our guys play a non cupcake."

"LIU-B is now my second favorite team."

"Let's not forget, LIU-B would have played us if they had not lost to James Madison in the play in game. They're not a bad team"

"We needed a game like this."

Lots more, but you get the idea. Plenty of crimson kool aid being consumed over there. Have to give your post four pinnochios.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:15:11 PM by Lennys Tap »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »

"I thought Crean did a very good job tonight. He pulled out a win when it looked like we would lose. This may be his year for COTY"

"Good game tonight! Our guys grew up a little. Glad to see our guys play a non cupcake."

"Let's not forget, LIU-B would have played us if they had not lost to James Madison in the play in game. They're not a bad team"

Lots more, but you get the idea. Plenty of crimson kool aid being consumed over there. Have to give your post four pinnochios.

Are you sh1tting me? That is beyond delusional... The Bronzed Beast must be tainting the water over there

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »
MU won a game never really in doubt against a team that lost to a #1 seed in last year's tournament by 5. Indiana needed two missed shots in the final 5 seconds (one a layup) to get by a team that lost a play in game by 13 to a team that eventually lost as a #16 seed to a #1 seed by 21.

The team that Marquette beat solidly if unimpressively is favored to return to the NCAAs. LIU-Brooklyn is picked 3rd in their conference.

Finally, on one hand it's little old Marquette. On the other hand It's Indiana, It's Indiana is in year 6 of their 5 year plan to return to the top of college basketball's heap.

LOL indeed.

You continue to crack me up.  I don't know why you say little old Marquette, after all the preseason rankings which are the most important way to determine a team's worth says they are the 17th best team in the country.  The same rankings don't even have IU ranked in the top 25.  MU is picked to win the Big East, IU is picked 6th in their conference.  Certainly appears that the expectations are much higher for MU this year, as they should be.  Veteran team at key spots, weaker league, we should do very well.  IU, really young, talented but probably a year a way.

I am glad to see that Southern is picked to return to the NCAAs, because again those preseason prognostications are gold.  That team I watched tonight had players on it that had NEVER missed the NCAA tournament, but it is true they are picked 3rd so I'm guessing they will shut the season down and not bother to play any games due to predetermination of the NEC gurus.

I've always liked to read things like "blah blah needed two missed shots to win the game".  So lazy, really lazy analysis.  I'm guilty of it at times, so don't worry about it.  It's not as if IU made their free throws at the end that the opponent wouldn't even have had that opportunity (those tidbits of factoids can be ignored)...sort of like if an opponent could in-bound the ball properly at the end of the game and not piss down their leg, they would win their NCAA tournament game.  Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.  LOL.  Fans are funny.  We all are.

LOL, indeed.  Don't worry Lenny, IU will lose plenty of games this year that you can get really excited about.   They will likely meet that 6th place expectation.  If they don't, I have no doubt you will hold them to a standard of underachieving.  One hopes MU reaches our 1st place expectation, if they don't I have no doubt you will do the same. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »

You must go to a lame IU board like Peegs.  Sorry, I rarely go there (yes, I have posted a few times, but very rarely).  Not exactly your high quality IU board.  Too many former MU posters over there that pose as IU fans (seriously).  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »
C'mon Chicos....there's no winning this argument.  IU at Year 6 in the Crean regime has no business barely squeaking out a win at home against a team like LIU-Brooklyn.

Its after all, Indiana.  A blue blood program, in a state with a ton of talent, in a BCS conference, the flagship university in the state.

Being predicted to finish 6th in the Big 10 in Year 6 of the "turnaround."  That's almost as bad as going from the Final Four to a first round loser in the NIT the next year...with two future pros on the roster.

Pretty clear at this point after 5 years, the verdict is in - Buzz Williams has been a major upgrade over your beloved TC.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 12:35:16 AM »
C'mon Chicos....there's no winning this argument.  IU at Year 6 in the Crean regime has no business barely squeaking out a win at home against a team like LIU-Brooklyn.

Its after all, Indiana.  A blue blood program, in a state with a ton of talent, in a BCS conference, the flagship university in the state.

Being predicted to finish 6th in the Big 10 in Year 6 of the "turnaround."  That's almost as bad as going from the Final Four to a first round loser in the NIT the next year...with two future pros on the roster.

Pretty clear at this point after 5 years, the verdict is in - Buzz Williams has been a major upgrade over your beloved TC.

The results are in, amigo. What's left to ponder?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 12:44:18 AM »
The results are in, amigo. What's left to ponder?

That's obvious...If Chicos will ever relent and admit Buzz Williams is a superior coach than Tom Crean?  I mean how can I guy be in his 6th year at a blueblood program like IU, and be picked for 6th in preseason coaches poll?  (Especially coming off a first place finish last year - talk about regression.) 

Somehow, I feel that even after 6 years of evidence, the Bailbondsmen will still continue the fight....for which I applaud him, and thank him, as it provides great comedic value here.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 12:45:17 AM »
That's almost as bad as going from the Final Four to a first round loser in the NIT the next year...with two future pros on the roster.

The most shameful night in the long, proud history of Marquette basketball

Death on call

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
I was flipping back and forth, it was rather interesting down the stretch.  Some of my observations...

• BTN Announcers - Defending a loss before it potentially happened.  LIU is a great team, NCAA tourney team, blah blah blah
  • After the victory, Crean is COTY, more respect for LIU...all the same from the IU Boards
  • Social Media Attitude - Cheering the fact that Kentucky lost...let's remember Kentucky lost to #2 Sparty...not LIU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »
Indy

I think most IU fans (and many other fans) were cheering UK's loss because they lost.  UK fans actually were selling 40-0 t-shirts this year to commerate their undefeated season and coronation to the NCAA championship.  Or when Coach Cal said a few weeks ago that UK IS college basketball.  Well, it's not that UK lost to #2 MSU that matters, it is that they lost that has people happy.

As far as IU, etc.  I just found it funny the Southern comments here last week and how "different" they are when applied to another team, especially one that played a 3 straight NCAA appearance team.   But hey, fans are fans and they say some of the funniest things.   ;)

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
Indy

I think most IU fans (and many other fans) were cheering UK's loss because they lost.  UK fans actually were selling 40-0 t-shirts this year to commerate their undefeated season and coronation to the NCAA championship.  Or when Coach Cal said a few weeks ago that UK IS college basketball.  Well, it's not that UK lost to #2 MSU that matters, it is that they lost that has people happy.

As far as IU, etc.  I just found it funny the Southern comments here last week and how "different" they are when applied to another team, especially one that played a 3 straight NCAA appearance team.   But hey, fans are fans and they say some of the funniest things.   ;)

I just enjoyed the social media roller coaster...

IU is losing...morale is low
IU wins...morale is high
UK loses...morale is through the roof, IU > UK, Coach Cal is afraid of Assembly Hall, blah blah blah

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
I just enjoyed the social media roller coaster...

IU is losing...morale is low
IU wins...morale is high
UK loses...morale is through the roof, IU > UK, Coach Cal is afraid of Assembly Hall, blah blah blah

Coach Cal is afraid to play at Assembly Hall, that's a given.  

Not surprising the other stuff, that's fandom for you.  When your rival loses, then people are happy.  Look what happens here when ND or UW-madison lose, not much different.  Hell, UW-madison football loses (a sport we don't even play) and some people are happy (including me).

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:11:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
41 minutes, 10 seconds.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Coach Cal is afraid to play at Assembly Hall, that's a given. 

Not surprising the other stuff, that's fandom for you.  When your rival loses, then people are happy.  Look what happens here when ND or UW-madison lose, not much different.  Hell, UW-madison football loses (a sport we don't even play) and some people are happy (including me).

On a night when we win and UW or ND loses our board is 95% about our win (at least). Last night on the IU board it was about 70% about UK's loss and 30% about their own win. That's not rivalry, it's little brother obsession.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
41 minutes, 10 seconds.

You have your numbers wrong.  4 minutes and 18 seconds....the time it took a Marquette fan to post about an IU score on a Marquette board.  Glad I could help you. 

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
Last night on the IU board it was about 70% about UK's loss and 30% about their own win. That's not rivalry, it's little brother obsession.

That's what I tend to notice.  IMO - Crean ended the "rivalry" not Cal.  2 games in Lucas Oil?? I'd take that.  Not sure we want to go down that road and debate again  :D

I'm just happy I cant watch MU on FS1.  I can avert my eyes away 1pt wins by Purdue and IU on the BTN now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
That's what I tend to notice.  IMO - Crean ended the "rivalry" not Cal.  2 games in Lucas Oil?? I'd take that.  Not sure we want to go down that road and debate again  :D

I'm just happy I cant watch MU on FS1.  I can avert my eyes away 1pt wins by Purdue and IU on the BTN now.

Hardly, and good to see most sportswriters also disagree.   You might want to also check the public documents.  IU agreed to play two games at Lucas Field in 2012 and 2013.  UK wanted this arrangement, and then they bailed out on it.  Here's the document

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2012052513473355531.pdf

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »

On a night when we win and UW or ND loses our board is 95% about our win (at least). Last night on the IU board it was about 70% about UK's loss and 30% about their own win. That's not rivalry, it's little brother obsession.

Makes you wonder if we are like the 8th littlest brother here at MU with so much obsession about IU, a school that isn't even our rival.  While IU and Kentucky are actually border states and have played each other over 50 times.  Little brother, indeed.

I guess I should go over there (??) and check to see if it is really 70% so I can do a Pinnochio checker, except that I have no idea what IU board you are going to.  I suspect Peegs, which is made up some IU fans, a bunch of UK fans and even MU fans over the years posing as fans of other schools.  To each their own, but that is not where most IU fans congregate.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:14:52 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
Hardly, and good to see most sportswriters also disagree.   You might want to also check the public documents.  IU agreed to play two games at Lucas Field in 2012 and 2013.  UK wanted this arrangement, and then they bailed out on it.  Here's the document

You.  Have.  Got.  To.  Be.  Kidding.  Me.

This is actually a letter that one AD wrote to another?!?  What a whiny little dramatic attention whore Glass is.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 07:53:49 AM »

This is actually a letter that one AD wrote to another?!?  What a whiny little dramatic attention whore Glass is.

I always heard that it was a PR stunt by Glass to get the blame off of IU for ending the rivalry.

I think a Purdue fan told me that.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
Anyone notice Calipari was spelled wrong multiple times in that letter? It was right the first time, but "Calapari" the rest of the way.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
I always heard that it was a PR stunt by Glass to get the blame off of IU for ending the rivalry.

Was it Hoopaloop?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »
Anyone notice Calipari was spelled wrong multiple times in that letter? It was right the first time, but "Calapari" the rest of the way.

Hilarious. Guess G. Fredrick Glass (G. Gordon Liddy?) doesn't have a proofreader.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you that this is where you come down on this.   ::)

LOL.

God forbid an AD defend his institution, his athletic department and their interests. What is the world coming to

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
And we are all SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU on where you come down on this.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »

That would be an interesting hypothesis except for one thing.  The letter wasn't released to the public by IU.  It came about through an open records request and as a public institution they had to release it.  If you're going to do this for a PR hit, you would release it on your own.  Not the case, the letter came out only after the media made the request. 

Purdue fans also said they own the state and recruiting as well. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
And we are all SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU on where you come down on this.

Yes, I come down on where the series has been played for the vast majority of times since the 1920's.  I'm a traditionalist. 

I'm trying to guess if Wisconsin-madison said to us no more games home and home, we're going to have them at Miller Park how our fan base would feel about it.  Hmm, I wonder.  Take away our home court advantage and put it in a big stadium where you lose that advantage AND you invite the prospects of 10's of thousands more of your rival fans to come.  What a deal.

You are right, I want those rivalry games played on campus.  Go figure.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »
http://www.vigilantsports.com/2012/06/06/calipari-holds-all-the-blame-in-letting-iu-uk-series-die/

The money quotes

“They’re only two hours away. Are they that poor?”
-Coach Cal

“The one thing that’s changed: we’re one of the few – if not the only program – that can go to football stadiums regular season. ‘Well, why would you do it?’ Because we can. ‘Cause we can, and no one else can. ‘Well, you shouldn’t do that, ’cause it’s different. It makes the purists mad.’ I’m not scheduling for the purists. I’m scheduling for my basketball team.”
-Coach Cal   

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »
I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you that this is where you come down on this.   ::)

LOL.

God forbid an AD defend his institution, his athletic department and their interests. What is the world coming to

Wrong.  The only institution Glass is defending in that letter is his own rear end and the only interests he's sticking up for is his own.

That letter served one purpose, and that purpose had nothing to do with Indiana basketball.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
That would be an interesting hypothesis except for one thing.  The letter wasn't released to the public by IU.  It came about through an open records request and as a public institution they had to release it.  If you're going to do this for a PR hit, you would release it on your own.  Not the case, the letter came out only after the media made the request. 

Yep, much more effective to tip off one of your buddies in the media to request it's release than to release it yourself. At least some of the dopes will fall for it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »
USA Today....Kentucky shuts down IU's offer

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/05/indiana-seeks-to-compromise-kentucky-shuts-it-down/1#.UoUIeJzODjV

ESPN....Kentucky rejects offer

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59598/letter-calipari-rejected-new-iu-rivalry-offer

So on and so forth. 

It's kind of fun to watch people suddenly side with Coach Cal on this....the man that is the embodiment of all that is good with college basketball, but if its a way to take on Crean by siding with Coach Cal then it is A - ok, despite the evidence to the contrary that UK is the one that was saying my way or the highway.   

The company that you keep....says a lot. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
Wrong.  The only institution Glass is defending in that letter is his own rear end and the only interests he's sticking up for is his own.

That letter served one purpose, and that purpose had nothing to do with Indiana basketball.

I guess USA Today, ESPN, etc don't agree with you Benny. 

It's always good to side with a guy of high ethics like Coach Cal, but if that's where you are, so be it. 

Speaking of ADs, here's what the UK AD said at the time per the ESPN article I attached.  LOL. 

"I don't think he [Kentucky coach John Calipari] was really thrilled about going back to Bloomington, to be honest with you," Barnhart said.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
Yep, much more effective to tip off one of your buddies in the media to request it's release than to release it yourself. At least some of the dopes will fall for it.

Well silly me, of course that's what happened.  I don't know why I didn't see it.  Of course.  Yes yes, taking the word of John Calipari and his decades long trail of ethics is not weighed in by Lenny, but no problem saying Fred Glass tipped off a letter he sent to UK with absolutely no proof at all.

You're really showing your stuff today Lenny.  Don't bother reading the ESPN, USA Today or other articles because they apparently are all in on the big con as well and say UK rejected the deal.  It's all a vast right wing conspiracy you know.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:32:45 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »

It's kind of fun to watch people suddenly side with Coach Cal on this....the man that is the embodiment of all that is good with college basketball, but if its a way to take on Crean by siding with Coach Cal then it is A - ok, despite the evidence to the contrary that UK is the one that was saying my way or the highway.   

The company that you keep....says a lot. 

I couldn't agree more. Calipari is a total scumbag. Any friend of his should be looked at with a jaundiced eye. Funny that when I said as much a year or two ago (when a Chicago Tribune article with direct quotes revealed  the close Crean/Calipari friendship) you had no problem with it. I would never defend Cal - he and Crean are cut from the same cloth, peas in a pod, etc. Both jerks. Calipari is a much more talented one, to be sure, but that's the only real difference.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
John Caliprari

First your buddy Fred misspells his name 3 times. Then nobody on his crack staff catches it. Now you. Is there something in that Bloomington Kool Aid? ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
I couldn't agree more. Calipari is a total scumbag. Any friend of his should be looked at with a jaundiced eye. Funny that when I said as much a year or two ago (when a Chicago Tribune article with direct quotes revealed  the close Crean/Calipari friendship) you had no problem with it. I would never defend Cal - he and Crean are cut from the same cloth, peas in a pod, etc. Both jerks. Calipari is a much more talented one, to be sure, but that's the only real difference.

Lots of people can be "friends" with someone despite what they do on the job.  I'm sure you are able to separate the two, I know many who can.  There are people that I can't stand on the job, but away from it they are different people.  How close of friends they are, who knows.  He, Izzo, Crean go back several decades.  Crean is friends with K.O., does that mean he condones K.O. cheating on his wife, and all his actions?  Have you ever had friends that did something that you don't agree with?  I'm sure you have.  Did you cut bait at that point and leave them at the curb?  Maybe you did, not everyone does.

Keep ignoring those articles and the realities of it all, evidence be damned...."Crean canceled the series because I don't like Crean. "  You really should just come out and say it, cut to the chase.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
Chicos, I admire your steadfastness, but surely you see this is a losing battle here. Crean could literally walk on water and he would get lambasted for not sharing his hover-shoe technology. A couple thoughts...

1) LIU is a solid team. They are used to winning and have done so regularly over the past few years. Like Southern, not world-beaters, but no shame in playing a close game with them, especially as a game at Assembly Hall is their Super Bowl.
2) Siding with Coach Cal just makes no sense. Could both parties have maybe done more? Sure. But acting like Coach Cal is just the victim of an IU-created circumstance...well, this is the same guy who said his team playing Michigan State early in the season wasn't fair. Uhh, Coach, you realize that you agreed to this game, right?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

leever

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »
but surely you see this is a losing battle here.

Oh, I really doubt that he sees that!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »
It is grossly unfair to blame Indiana for that series not continuing.  Kentucky wanted neutral site games.  Indiana wanted campus games.  They didn't compromise.

I will point out that if it were Crean that wanted the neutral site games, the IU bashers would be having a field day.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
Lots of people can be "friends" with someone despite what they do on the job.  I'm sure you are able to separate the two, I know many who can.  There are people that I can't stand on the job, but away from it they are different people.  How close of friends they are, who knows.  He, Izzo, Crean go back several decades.  Crean is friends with K.O., does that mean he condones K.O. cheating on his wife, and all his actions?  Have you ever had friends that did something that you don't agree with?  I'm sure you have.  Did you cut bait at that point and leave them at the curb?  Maybe you did, not everyone does.

Keep ignoring those articles and the realities of it all, evidence be damned...."Crean canceled the series because I don't like Crean. "  You really should just come out and say it, cut to the chase.

First, I don't give a rat's ass about the Kentucky-Indiana series. The way I see it, both parties made demands, neither side would back down and so it ended. Since then, both sides (though mostly Indiana) have tried to manipulate the media to blame the other guy.

Regarding friendship, a couple of thoughts. Unlike you, I can't be friends with a guy who is a prick at work but turns into a sweetheart outside of the office. To me, that's the definition of a phony and a two faced user. It's why I don't care for guys like TC. No thanks. That said, everyone makes mistakes. I forgive my friends theirs and they kindly forgive me mine.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:10:10 PM by Lennys Tap »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »
Chicos, I admire your steadfastness, but surely you see this is a losing battle here. Crean could literally walk on water and he would get lambasted for not sharing his hover-shoe technology. A couple thoughts...

1) LIU is a solid team. They are used to winning and have done so regularly over the past few years. Like Southern, not world-beaters, but no shame in playing a close game with them, especially as a game at Assembly Hall is their Super Bowl.
2) Siding with Coach Cal just makes no sense. Could both parties have maybe done more? Sure. But acting like Coach Cal is just the victim of an IU-created circumstance...well, this is the same guy who said his team playing Michigan State early in the season wasn't fair. Uhh, Coach, you realize that you agreed to this game, right?

Yes, I know. I just like to watch them dig themselves deeper.  I believe Mr. Brennan of ESPN wraps it up on a very nice bow.  UK made demands, IU met those demands, UK changed the demands (moved the goalposts) and IU gets blamed for it because some people here don't like their head coach.

You are correct, can't win for losing with this crew. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

Most sportswriters don't understand contracts, law or finance much at all. Not debating this particular KY topic - just you again bringing up, "well traditional media says so, so..."

Wonder why hoosiershq and others don't have Crean's contract... wonder why 'most sportswriters' got the facts all wrong.

My point is really this: "well sportswriters in the mainstream media took the side of X, so that means X is right" is an awful argument which you seem to love.

I'd suspect there are some other angles one could find on KY / I4 (I4 KY kind of... rolls off the tongue)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »

My point is really this: "well sportswriters in the mainstream media took the side of X, so that means X is right" is an awful argument which you seem to love.

When sportwriters in the mainstream media (or anybody else, for that matter) agree with Chicos they are presented as if they are the Pope delivering an encyclical on faith and morals. When they disagree? Those same folks who once spoke ex cathedra morph into fools, morons and liars. One of his staples.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »
If I were representing Indiana I'd refuse Kentucky's 'offer' as well.  In fact, I can't really imagine anyone wanting to play them at all given their world view on college basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »
If I were representing Indiana I'd refuse Kentucky's 'offer' as well.  In fact, I can't really imagine anyone wanting to play them at all given their world view on college basketball.

How do you know that Indiana doesn't share that worldview?  Just because they *can't* do it, doesn't mean they *wouldn't* do it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
First, I don't give a rat's ass about the Kentucky-Indiana series. The way I see it, both parties made demands, neither side would back down and so it ended. Since then, both sides (though mostly Indiana) have tried to manipulate the media to blame the other guy.

Regarding friendship, a couple of thoughts. Unlike you, I can't be friends with a guy who is a prick at work but turns into a sweetheart outside of the office. To me, that's the definition of a phony and a two faced user. It's why I don't care for guys like TC. No thanks. That said, everyone makes mistakes. I forgive my friends theirs and they kindly forgive me mine.

Both sides but mostly Indiana.  :o   You are so jaded it is incredible.

Yes, I'm able to understand that sometimes people have to act a certain way, a necessary evil, to get work done, to achieve goals, etc.  If it is done ethically, I understand it.  Many of these people don't like to do it, but they are hired to be the a-hole to get things done.  Has nothing to do with them being two faced, it is the job for which they are hired to do.  I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.  There are volumes of sports analogies like this where people were one way when they went onto the field and quite a different person when they were off it.  Does that make them two faced?  Or does it make them focused and doing what they had to do to get the job done?  Have you not ever met an athlete that was gentle as a breeze off the field but a mad man on the field?  Same person, different arena.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
Most sportswriters don't understand contracts, law or finance much at all. Not debating this particular KY topic - just you again bringing up, "well traditional media says so, so..."

Wonder why hoosiershq and others don't have Crean's contract... wonder why 'most sportswriters' got the facts all wrong.

I'd suspect there are some other angles one could find on KY / I4 (I4 KY kind of... rolls off the tongue)

Yup, part of arguing one's point is to show the support you have.  Pretty straight forward.  It's done here all the time.  Crean sucks because Grantland blog poster says so.   Latest example. 

When KY's own athletic director says Coach Cal didn't want to play in Bloomington anymore, that's saying something.  IU met their initial demands, they (UK) moved the goalposts again, no deal. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

Yes, I'm able to understand that sometimes people have to act a certain way, a necessary evil, to get work done, to achieve goals, etc.  If it is done ethically, I understand it.  Many of these people don't like to do it, but they are hired to be the a-hole to get things done.  Has nothing to do with them being two faced, it is the job for which they are hired to do.  I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.  There are volumes of sports analogies like this where people were one way when they went onto the field and quite a different person when they were off it.  Does that make them two faced?  Or does it make them focused and doing what they had to do to get the job done?  Have you not ever met an athlete that was gentle as a breeze off the field but a mad man on the field?  Same person, different arena.

I'm not talking about a drill sgt being tough on recruits because it might eventually save their lives or a coach who's tough on his players in an effort to mold a team. And I'm not talking about players who play competitive sports (assuming they don't play dirty). I'm talking about guys who take out their frustrations on the powerless  secretary, clerk or office worker because they are easy and safe targets. Saw a lot of it on the trading floor, heard a lot about in the corporate world. Also heard a lot about it with our previous coach. Treat people well to advance your own self interest? Proves nothing. How you treat those who can't do you any worldly good proves everything. So, sorry, if someone is a jerk or bully at work just because he can be I don't buy the idea that away from the office he can be a sweetheart. A phony sweetheart maybe, but not a sweetheart.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:28:10 PM by Lennys Tap »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
There are some people that can be absolute pricks in doing the job, but truly the nicest people you ever want to meet away from it.  I'm surprised at your age you have not encountered many people like this.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
There are some people that can be absolute pricks in doing the job, but truly the nicest people you ever want to meet away from it.  I'm surprised at your age you have not encountered many people like this.

There are some (very few) jobs that require "acting" like a prick at times (drill sergeant, for example) for the eventual greater good. But the idea that the guy who beats up on his secretary, clerk, sales force, etc., can be the "nicest guy you ever want to meet" away from the office is BS. You don't check humanity and decency at the door when you walk into work every morning. Those who do I have no respect for whatsoever - their "nice guy" persona away from work is phony.

feedback