Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gotta start it...Dawson needs to be starting PG  (Read 89465 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Gotta start it...Dawson needs to be starting PG
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
Ahh yes....I have been one of Buzz's biggest fans since his first year here and said he was the real deal and had the "it" factor....also said the same about Davante first semester freshman year...said he'd be as good/possibly better than Robert Jackson...all of which were met with ridicule by some...now I say the same about Dawson....and again, some of you feel I'm an idiot for making the statement early on...

Um, Davante hasn't been as good as Robert Jackson.

In his lone season at MU, Jackson averaged 15.4 points and 7.5 boards in 28.7 minutes. DG's career highs in those categories are 11.5, 5.3 and 21.5.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
Sultan, that's not actually fair. Ners has said a lot more than "Dawson needs to be starting"

So glad I've kept him on ignore, though these occasional quoted comments are comedy gold. So Dawson's passing is comparable to Magic Johnson. LOL.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
We can asterisk it all we want, but the reality is both Dawson and Derrick are playing against the same crappy team...and Dawson has looked immensely better than anything I've seen from Derrick in his 2 years here - and I hate to pile on our kids as I they all work their ass off and are just kids.

Now yes, it is Grambling - but I'll tell you what - Dawson has the look of a better point guard than we've had here since Diener.  Yes...a huge statement...but he's making passes that are Magic Johnson good.

Obviously you are too young to have seen Magic play so I won't even go on about this being one of the silliest and most uninformed posts here ever.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Sultan, that's not actually fair. Ners has said a lot more than "Dawson needs to be starting"

And what would that be Guns?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
And what would that be Guns?

He quoted two of your posts.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »
Obviously you are too young to have seen Magic play so I won't even go on about this being one of the silliest and most uninformed posts here ever.

No...not too young....maybe a stretch to say Magic Johnson good....but he made some great ones last night...in his 6th to 26th minute of college basketball....better than we've seen from Derrick in 2+ seasons....
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
Right now we do not know if either can make a free throw under pressure. James was a 50% free throw shooter overall, but he was better than that in the last minute. He still was not a good free throw shooter, but I would of rather had him at the line with the game on the line than some of the other players on his team. It would frustrate me to no end when as a sophomore or junior DJO, who was around a 70% free throw shooter lost us games because he could not make one with the game on the line. I prefer Derrick not to be fouled at an end of game situation, but I do not know if I rather have Dawson shooting the free throw instead of Derrick.
No one knows that.  That's why Mayo, Thomas, Wilson, Gardner and probably JJJ need to be on the floor at the end of a game and not DeWil.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »

Derrick is the starting PG and he should continue to be the starting PG. Dawson has shown he is a capable backup against 2 SWAC teams. But if we're going to elevate him to starting point based on his performance against Grambling, well that's just about the dumbest thing ever said on Scoop. Even worse that so many people jumped on the idiot bandwagon.

You've gone from "Dawson needs to be starting PG" to Dawson is the "real deal and has the 'it' factor."  

And no one has said you were an "idiot" or has "ridiculed" you for saying that he has potential.  So you can stop playing the victim.  (a la Chicos)  I think pretty much everyone recognizes that he has potential.

See above on Brew's comment...obviously I started the thread....and I really don't care that he called me an idiot or implied as much....Brew will end up looking like the idiot he frequently does here.

And yes, I stand by my statement that Dawson is the real deal, and has the "it" factor.  I'll be sure to remind you, Brew, and Guns of this when Dawson proves it out.  Will be fun to serve you guys a deserved sh$t burger.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
No...not too young....maybe a stretch to say Magic Johnson good....but he made some great ones last night...in his 6th to 26th minute of college basketball....better than we've seen from Derrick in 2+ seasons....

Maybe???   ::)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
Um, Davante hasn't been as good as Robert Jackson.

In his lone season at MU, Jackson averaged 15.4 points and 7.5 boards in 28.7 minutes. DG's career highs in those categories are 11.5, 5.3 and 21.5.

And you don't feel Davante will approach/exceed Jackson's numbers this season...in an arguably better conference, without the assistance of a Top 5 NBA player like D-Wade??

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »

My bad Sultan...I was conceding the point that it was a bit of hyperbole to say Magic Johnson good passes...but to deny that Dawson didn't illustrate great court vision and passing ability last night is simply ludicrous....and being stubborn for the sake of fragile ego to not admit being wrong...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »

You won't find it so funny when JD grows seven inches over the next year to become even more like Magic.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »
See above on Brew's comment...obviously I started the thread....and I really don't care that he called me an idiot or implied as much....Brew will end up looking like the idiot he frequently does here.

And yes, I stand by my statement that Dawson is the real deal, and has the "it" factor.  I'll be sure to remind you, Brew, and Guns of this when Dawson proves it out.  Will be fun to serve you guys a deserved sh$t burger.

Give you credit Ners for sticking to your guns.  Just like MooMooman stating Otule will be drafted, you are staying strong.

I just want to see what happens when Duane Wilson is healthy and how that shakes out with Dawson. 

brandx

« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »

I wasn't debating whether he made some nice passes - he did. He had some quick looks into the post that we don't see from DW.

But don't equate a few nice passes against a playground team to being Magic-esque

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2013, 04:12:21 PM »
My bad Sultan...I was conceding the point that it was a bit of hyperbole to say Magic Johnson good passes...but to deny that Dawson didn't illustrate great court vision and passing ability last night is simply ludicrous....and being stubborn for the sake of fragile ego to not admit being wrong...

I know.  But I am assuming that one day you will figure it out.

But anyway, this is going how a typical Ners' argument goes.  Outlandish statement...backing off statement...victimization...asserting he is right by continuously saying he is right.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »

I thought Dawson was really good last night. I enjoyed watching him play. He's much farther along than I thought he would be at this point.

HOWEVER, you've made some pretty outlandish statements. I disagree with those statements. That's not out of stubbornness or ego. I disagree with you because of my opinion of MU basketball, Derrick Wilson, and John Dawson.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

I know.  But I am assuming that one day you will figure it out.

But anyway, this is going how a typical Ners' argument goes.  Outlandish statement...backing off statement...victimization...asserting he is right by continuously saying he is right.

Ummm....I haven't victimized myself in any way...I've stood firm in my ground, have conceded a point or two - as a mature, non-egotitistcal individual can do - which I know as you've proven here for years, your fragile ego could never allow for....but in conceding a point or two...then I catch hell for "backing off statement."  What a mindf*ck.

Will be a lot of fun to see how it all plays out....and then we'll see who moves the goalposts - pretty well know you, Guns, Brew...will all point to some safe, typically non-bold, guarded statement..which is generally all you engage in to protect your fragile egos.  Here's what you all will come up with:  I said Dawson was a good player, just that we shouldn't be so quick to discount Derrick Wilson.

If you don't think Buzz giving Dawson 20 minutes last night was at all telling...well....I'm not sure what to tell you.  Buzz isn't an idiot in any way...he sees the high ceiling Dawson has.  For the last time...De Will will get all the benefit of the doubt as Buzz is a loyal guy...for which is one of his best qualities - yet I doubt he'll sacrifice conference wins out of loyalty - whoever ends up being the back up...if it is Derrick will get ~ 15 minutes of run.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
Ummm....I haven't victimized myself in any way...I've stood firm in my ground, have conceded a point or two - as a mature, non-egotitistcal individual can do - which I know as you've proven here for years, your fragile ego could never allow for....but in conceding a point or two...then I catch hell for "backing off statement."  What a mindf*ck.

Will be a lot of fun to see how it all plays out....and then we'll see who moves the goalposts - pretty well know you, Guns, Brew...will all point to some safe, typically non-bold, guarded statement..which is generally all you engage in to protect your fragile egos.  Here's what you all will come up with:  I said Dawson was a good player, just that we shouldn't be so quick to discount Derrick Wilson.

If you don't think Buzz giving Dawson 20 minutes last night was at all telling...well....I'm not sure what to tell you.  Buzz isn't an idiot in any way...he sees the high ceiling Dawson has.  For the last time...De Will will get all the benefit of the doubt as Buzz is a loyal guy...for which is one of his best qualities - yet I doubt he'll sacrifice conference wins out of loyalty - whoever ends up being the back up...if it is Derrick will get ~ 15 minutes of run.

Yes, my guarded view of John Dawson is because of my ego.

Derrick Wilson will average more:
Minutes
Rebounds
Blocks
Steals

That's it. That's not my ego talking. That's my simple opinion of the situation.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »

Buzz also gave Deonte Burton 22 minutes to Jamil Wilson's 17.
Should we take this as a sign Jamil will (and ought to) soon find himself warming the bench at tip-off?
Or as a sign that in a glorified scrimmage against an overmatched team, Buzz was taking the opportunity to get his young players minutes?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »
Yes, my guarded view of John Dawson is because of my ego.

Derrick Wilson will average more:
Minutes
Rebounds
Blocks
Steals

That's it. That's not my ego talking. That's my simple opinion of the situation.

That's bold. Guy Fieri bold.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
That's bold. Guy Fieri bold.

Fist bumps for everybody.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »
Buzz also gave Deonte Burton 22 minutes to Jamil Wilson's 17.
Should we take this as a sign Jamil will (and ought to) soon find himself warming the bench at tip-off?
Or as a sign that in a glorified scrimmage against an overmatched team, Buzz was taking the opportunity to get his young players minutes?

Good point you make....I'd be shocked if it happened....but Burton is a bull, assertive in ways we can only dream Jamil becomes.  Jamil has a lot more skins on the wall at MU, than does Derrick.  Jamil has shown us tantalizing potential - and has the tools.  I'd say Derrick has yet to prove as much...so your analogy, while very good, is a little apples to oranges.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2013, 05:02:59 PM »
BTW - I do regret starting this thread, as in defending my view - it has dissed Derrick in a way I didn't/dont' want to - as I do appreciate what all the kids invest into MU basketball...and Derrick is a high character guy...and I'm glad he's a member of the team.  Just see him being more of a role player PG than a stud.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
If you had started with.....Dawson has impressed me.   If he progresses quickly, I can envision a scenario where he either starts or plays significant minutes later in the season..... it probably wouldn't have gotten so contentious.   Look, I like what I have seen from Dawson so far.   But it IS Southern and Grambling.   He HAS only scored 2 more points than DeWilson.   And it is in no one's best interest if he starts on Saturday.     But the kid has an upside, no arguing that. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »
If you had started with.....Dawson has impressed me.   If he progresses quickly, I can envision a scenario where he either starts or plays significant minutes later in the season..... it probably wouldn't have gotten so contentious.   Look, I like what I have seen from Dawson so far.   But it IS Southern and Grambling.   He HAS only scored 2 more points than DeWilson.   And it is in no one's best interest if he starts on Saturday.     But the kid has an upside, no arguing that. 

Not true. I'm sure Aaron Craft would be beside himself with joy if Dawson started Saturday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback