collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Brett Favre  (Read 4748 times)

brandx

Re: Brett Favre
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »

At what point do people start to acknowledge there are risks in life, from playing football to getting into a car to eating a cheeseburger. 

Ridiculous analogy. Nobody getting into a car is actively traumatizing their brain every time they drive.

Don't get me wrong. I love football and played football. But the size and power of the players is in another stratosphere from even 10-20 years ago.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 11:23:42 PM »
Ridiculous analogy. Nobody getting into a car is actively traumatizing their brain every time they drive.

Don't get me wrong. I love football and played football. But the size and power of the players is in another stratosphere from even 10-20 years ago.

Ridiculous statement. Nobody is forced into playing football. And I don't hear these guys complaining when they collect a paycheck. Sports are  voluntary activities. And you should know the risks before you strap on the uniform.

I knew that going to war is a hazardous activity. And as I collected three Purple Hearts along the way I never once thought of suing anybody. Nobody forced me to strap on the uniform and I knew the risks. And I would go again in a heart beat.

Life is about choices. Buyer beware. Live with the consequences.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »
Scientists say memory loss begins as early as age 20 and into your 30's, depending on the studies.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117281

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2226747/Memory-loss-start-early-thirties.html

Does football have an impact....sure, probably.  I just don't know why so many want to put ALL of the impact on one thing or another.  We all lose our memory, some earlier than others. 

I thought the same thing when reading the article.  Also, he was known to heavily abuse pain killers, which will accelerate the effects of aging on memory loss.

Favre was never known for his brilliance anyway. 

As an aside, it seems that the safer they make the gear, the more people get injured.  I think this largely reflects players willing to hit harder, because it doesn't hurt...this in turn leads to more injuries on the offense and players on the periphery (knee injuries from players bouncing into them) who can't prepare for the bigger hits. 

Are increased safety gear partially responsible for an increase in injuries?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »

Why aren't you consistent?  Basketball puts wear and tear on your joints....why aren't you demanding the NBA, CYA, NCAA, High School pay people with knee arthritis that played basketball?  Then let's go to volleyball.  Then soccer.  So on and so forth.

It's not a ridiculous analogy....life is about CHOICES.  No one is forcing someone to play football.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Why aren't you consistent?  Basketball puts wear and tear on your joints....why aren't you demanding the NBA, CYA, NCAA, High School pay people with knee arthritis that played basketball?  Then let's go to volleyball.  Then soccer.  So on and so forth.

It's not a ridiculous analogy....life is about CHOICES.  No one is forcing someone to play football.

Chicos, based on this statement I would assume you have never known anyone with a traumatic brain injury.  Frankly, to compare wear and tear on joints as analogous to the long term debilitating effect of traumatic brain injuries is insulting.

Wear and tear on your joint will decrease quality of life, but only because some things you enjoyed you no longer can do...you are still the same person.

These brain injuries can incapacitate an individual, where grueling headaches make them incapable of functioning at all, leading to depression and possibly suicides.  Early onset Alzheimers and dementia, renders an individual unrecognizable to those close to them and destroys all aspects of their ability to function at home or in society.   They are serious conditions that us as a society need to do something about. 

You are right, at the superficial level no one made them play football.  But most of these athletes come from poor backgrounds where there are no real options...football/basketball is a chance to escape.  As a young kid they are conditioned to sacrifice their body to hit kids as hard as possible in dangerous ways (like rewarding kids for taking out an opposing player), at that juncture they have no ability to comprehend long term consequences.  They are looking at immediate benefits...aka escape the hood, or score with the hot chick.  At that age they think they are indestructible and coaches put them in a position they know will cause long term harm.

The concussions honestly have much more in line with unsafe working conditions cases (early 1900s) where they put kids in an environment that could devastate their long term lives.   

feedback