'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane out with stress fracture  (Read 24659 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Duane out with stress fracture
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
Junior Cadougan was back by February if I remember correctly. We decided to play him. Despite being our top recruit that year, he averaged 3 minutes a game and added nothing to the stat sheet. Now, instead of him starting this season when PG is our biggest question mark, he is off playing pro ball in Georgia I think. Imagine how good this team would be if Junior was at the helm instead of D Wil.

However, if he comes back before conference play, then I say give him a chance. But only if he is truly healed.

This. Bringing Junior back that year was pointless. Not saying it will be for Duane, but a 3-month hip injury right before the season starts does not sound promising.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »
Junior Cadougan was back by February if I remember correctly. We decided to play him. Despite being our top recruit that year, he averaged 3 minutes a game and added nothing to the stat sheet. Now, instead of him starting this season when PG is our biggest question mark, he is off playing pro ball in Georgia I think. Imagine how good this team would be if Junior was at the helm instead of D Wil.

However, if he comes back before conference play, then I say give him a chance. But only if he is truly healed.

From what I understand, Junior didn't want to redshirt and didn't want to be in school a fifth year.

Besides, if he had taken a redshirt year and was the starting PG this season, there's the possibility that Duane would not have come to Marquette knowing that there were going to be limited minutes at the point for his first season.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
I've seen "leg" - not so bad.

I've seen "hip" - could be a big problemo.

If it's hip, I question bringing him back at all. That would be January 14, if it is 12 weeks. Multiple Big East games already played. That's a tough learning curve. He won't have any bad teams to work out kinks or get used to the pace.

It'll be a good time for Todd Smith to work on his upper body strength though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:34:33 AM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
Imagine the pressure on the kid.  He wants to perform, he wants to please Buzz and the fans and his family and his team... not an easy decision to redshirt.
But if it's really 12 weeks, absolutely the right one.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »
Imagine how good this team would be if Junior was at the helm instead of D Wil.

While the depth would be nice, not sure swapping D Wil for Junior really moves the meter much at all.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2013, 10:00:20 AM »
But if it's really 12 weeks, absolutely the right one.

I just don't agree with that.  I think if a player is healthy, wants to play, and Buzz thinks there is value in having him play, then he should play.  I don't think in this day and age, that you trade in a half-season of contribution now for a full season of contribution four years from now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
From what I understand, Junior didn't want to redshirt and didn't want to be in school a fifth year.

Besides, if he had taken a redshirt year and was the starting PG this season, there's the possibility that Duane would not have come to Marquette knowing that there were going to be limited minutes at the point for his first season.

As I recall, we also had major depth issues that year, only really going 7 deep. DJO and Buycks often had to play big because we only had 3 frontcourt players (Hayward, Butler, and Fulce) while Acker and Cooby barely got to rest (both averaged over 29 mpg). I think the hope was that Junior could take some of the load off those guys and as a 6'1" guard lessen the damage when DJO and Buycks were slotting in as 3/4 type players. Of course, Junior proved mostly ineffectual and it didn't work, but when your bench only goes 2 deep (thanks to Maymon's departure) I get why the staff was also okay with playing him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

I just don't agree with that.  I think if a player is healthy, wants to play, and Buzz thinks there is value in having him play, then he should play.  I don't think in this day and age, that you trade in a half-season of contribution now for a full season of contribution four years from now.

Was the trade-off worth it in the past?  If so, what's changed?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
Was the trade-off worth it in the past?  If so, what's changed?

Roster changes happen more often giving you more flexibility than previously.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
If it's hip, I question bringing him back at all. That would be January 14, if it is 12 weeks. Multiple Big East games already played. That's a tough learning curve. He won't have any bad teams to work out kinks or get used to the pace.

It'll be a good time for Todd Smith to work on his upper body strength though.

Good point, too bad we play DePaul once already by that point. Would be nice to get him two games against a virtual buy opponent.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
Roster changes happen more often giving you more flexibility than previously.

And kids are more eager, reasonably so, to move on from college and start earning a paycheck for playing. At least those that have realistic prospects of earning a paycheck for playing.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »

Which brings us to the subject of Nick Noskowiak, and how he might be affected by a Duane redshirt.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
I believe Nick is a junior in HS this year.  He wont be on campus until 2015. DW will be a junior then, or a redshirt sophmore.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
I believe Nick is a junior in HS this year.  He wont be on campus until 2015. DW will be a junior then, or a redshirt sophmore.

So, if Duane redshirts, Nick might be thinking; "My two years of likely starting, just turned into ONE year of likely starting."  People have decommitted for less reason.  Whatever decision is made, I'm certain that the coaching staff will be in contact with Nick regarding how this situation might affect him.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:37:09 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
Derrick really has a chance to prove himself as the right choice and shut all us haters up. Too bad it won't happen. We're doomed.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
Derrick really has a chance to prove himself as the right choice and shut all us haters up. Too bad it won't happen. We're doomed.

We still get to follow the team, to watch the games, and to hope.  That's most of what any of us gets out of any season, anyway.

And MOST importantly we still get to post!  We'll even have a new thread topic to argue about.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:48:02 PM by LittleMurs »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
I believe Nick is a junior in HS this year.  He wont be on campus until 2015. DW will be a junior then, or a redshirt sophmore.

Multiple ballhandlers aren't always a bad thing (no hibbert). Duane has some versatility boi
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »
So, if Duane redshirts, Nick might be thinking; "My two years of likely starting, just turned into ONE year of likely starting."  People have decommitted for less reason.  Whatever decision is made, I'm certain that the coaching staff will be in contact with Nick regarding how this situation might affect him.
Or Duane might be thinking he should play now, because Nick will start over him. The one argument in not redshirting Duane is that he may be injury prone like Otule.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
Multiple ballhandlers aren't always a bad thing (no hibbert). Duane has some versatility boi

We'll have 2 or more.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »
is there any concrete news that this is a 8-12 week injury, or just that one tweet?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »
While the depth would be nice, not sure swapping D Wil for Junior really moves the meter much at all.
This is purely a case of underrating Cadougan and way overrating Duane Wilson. Look at it this way, if Cadougan was here this year he would be starting over Derrick. Duane, if he had stayed healthy, would not start over Derrick. Duane has the potential to be really good, but all of you are way overrating how good he was before the injury.

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
I think your way underrating him. Derrick wilson has taken like 12 shots in his MU career.  Duane shot 55% from three in HS.  Duane is far and away a better player than derrick wilson, and he would get more minutes than derrick from day one (may not start with Buzz's crazy habits in that regard).

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
I think your way underrating him. Derrick wilson has taken like 12 shots in his MU career.  Duane shot 55% from three in HS.  Duane is far and away a better player than derrick wilson, and he would get more minutes than derrick from day one (may not start with Buzz's crazy habits in that regard).
Derrick Wilson averaged 19 points in high school, so high school scoring does not necessarily mean anything. There is a lot more to playing point than hitting three point shots. It also is a lot easier to make three point shots in high school, because you are not playing against the calibur of players you are in college.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
My first contribution to the MUScoop rumor mill so take it or leave it, but I have heard from what I consider to be a reliable source that Duane still plans on playing the latter part of this season, barring some sort of setback in his recovery.

Not saying with 100% certainty he won't redshirt, just what I've heard

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »
FWIW, Mark Miller has tweeted about John Dawson looking good in practice.  Hopefully he will be able to use this to play his way into the rotation.

feedback