collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicago burger garnished with communion wafer  (Read 10239 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Chicago burger garnished with communion wafer
« on: October 04, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
Chicago burger garnished with communion wafer
Chicago restaurant garnishes burger with communion wafer, red wine sauce

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-burger-garnished-communion-wafer-052013819.html

CHICAGO (AP) -- A Chicago restaurant has cooked up a controversial burger of the month for October, garnishing it with an unconsecrated communion wafer and a red wine reduction sauce.

Kuma's Corner, a foodie destination with just a few tables, names its hamburgers after heavy metal bands. For October, the restaurant chose to name the burger after the Swedish band Ghost. Members of the band dress in religious robes and wear skeleton face makeup.

It's in poor taste, said Jeff Young of New Orleans who runs the blog Catholic Foodie.

"It's not, for us, the Eucharist," Young said. "However this wafer is a symbol. There's a cross on it. It's like taking a flag and burning a flag."

Luke Tobias, Kuma's Corner director of operations, said the restaurant never wanted to offend anyone. He said reaction has been a "mixed bag," but more positive than negative.

"There are people who are offended by it, but we're delighted to see that generally people seem to have a sense of humor," Tobias said.

The restaurant, which often plays loud heavy metal music, is a fan of Ghost, Tobias said. Young said he realizes that and knows Kuma's Corner didn't intentionally want to make anyone mad.

"The Ghost" burger is selling well, Tobias said, because customers are curious about it.

"Hopefully people will have a good time with it — that's certainly what we're trying to do," Tobias said.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Chicago burger garnished with communion wafer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »
obnoxious... not sure why any Catholic would be offended.... if it's not consecrated it's just bread and wine; who cares?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »
That's one way to look at it.  But it's a religious symbol, plain and simple, regardless of it's current spiritual status, and putting it on a burger is meant to be outrageous and offensive for the purpose of generating attention. 

They ain't doin' it for that unleavened bread taste.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:53:25 AM »
That's one way to look at it.  But it's a religious symbol, plain and simple, regardless of it's current spiritual status, and putting it on a burger is meant to be outrageous and offensive for the purpose of generating attention. 

They ain't doin' it for that unleavened bread taste.

Wait, so it was a sacrilege burning church incense when blasting the "Dark Side of the Moon" while blowing on the weed bubbler in my McCormick dorm room?  Cripes...that was a mortal sin I thought I cleared with the recent legalization.  Never thought about the "Incense to Hell" aspect.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
Hilarious. I can't wait for them to come out with the Muhammad Special Bacon-Wrapped Pork Burger. I'm sure it's on it's way, right?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »
Hilarious. I can't wait for them to come out with the Muhammad Special Bacon-Wrapped Pork Burger. I'm sure it's on it's way, right?

Catholics aren't known for murdering people who offend them. That's the difference.
Have some patience, FFS.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »

Catholics aren't known for murdering people who offend them. That's the difference.

I'm pointing out that Catholics are an easy target and these jackasses wouldn't dare offend Muslims. Didn't think I needed teal on the hilarious.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »

Catholics aren't known for murdering people who offend them.

That is hilarious.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »

Someone's never read a history book.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »

Yes, well, this burger exists now, not 1096 or 1478. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:41:39 AM »

LOL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
I'm pointing out that Catholics are an easy target and these jackasses wouldn't dare offend Muslims. Didn't think I needed teal on the hilarious.

"I get picked on all the time because I am <insert descriptor here>.  <Insert differing descriptor here> never gets picked on."

I call it "The Chicos Rule of Victimization."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »
Yes, well, this burger exists now, not 1096 or 1478. 

Hmmmm....  Don't have to go that far back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »

Hmmmm....  Don't have to go that far back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles

You make a good point, but casualties in what was more or less a war are somewhat different from announcing "hits" on people whose books you don't like or cartoons you don't find funny.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 11:06:05 AM »
You make a good point, but casualties in what was more or less a war are somewhat different from announcing "hits" on people whose books you don't like or cartoons you don't find funny.

Out of curiosity...would you say that those who died on 9/11 were "casualties in what is more or less a war?"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

Thank you.  That's the point I was trying to make.

If "radical" Catholics had the same attitude as radical Muslims regarding so-called offensive remarks, stand-up comedians would have the highest fatality rate of any profession.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »

Out of curiosity...would you say that those who died on 9/11 were "casualties in what is more or less a war?"

Absolutely. Radical Islamists have declared war on modernity itself. And I cede your point on the similarities as far as civilians being used as targets, but I don't think the idea that the English were infidels who must accept the Pope or die was what those fighting for a united Ireland had in mind.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »
but I don't think the idea that the English were infidels who must accept the Pope or die was what those fighting for a united Ireland had in mind.

It is about occupation of another country not religion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »
Absolutely. Radical Islamists have declared war on modernity itself. And I cede your point on the similarities as far as civilians being used as targets, but I don't think the idea that the English were infidels who must accept the Pope or die was what those fighting for a united Ireland had in mind.

Terrorism is terrorism.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 01:38:11 PM »

Terrorism is terrorism.

As a tactic, perhaps, but I view a group out to achieve limited political goals (IRA, Hamas, PLO) differently than one who says pray like me or die (Al Qaeda). To me, a fundamental difference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 01:39:13 PM »
As a tactic, perhaps, but I view a group out to achieve limited political goals (IRA, Hamas, PLO) differently than one who says pray like me or die (Al Qaeda). To me, a fundamental difference.

OK, I see where you are coming from.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »

I think al Qaeda is far more of a political group than you seem to make the case for here. In fact, I think it's primarily a political group acting primarily on political ambitions. I think it uses Islam primarily as a recruiting tool and as justification for its actions. Bin Laden didn't mind allying himself with us infidels when he was fighting the Soviets, and didn't turn against the U.S. until we exerted our influence and established a permanent presence in Saudi Arabia - which, for all intents, killed his ambitions of overthrowing the royal family and establishing himself as leader of the kingdom (and its oil).
Don't get me wrong - his ideal government was a theocracy, but his goals had more to do with seizing territory and authority than spreading a faith.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
Catholics are better at taking a joke than Al Queda.

I'm good with that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
It's out of line and rude. I won't eat there and I will pray for their sins.

If they're not total p****** they'll get add some menu offerings to get some chuckles off of other religions too.

Making fun of Catholics is a hobby of many liberals and losers. Most of them wouldn't dare say a word about Islam though.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
I think al Qaeda is far more of a political group than you seem to make the case for here. In fact, I think it's primarily a political group acting primarily on political ambitions. I think it uses Islam primarily as a recruiting tool and as justification for its actions. Bin Laden didn't mind allying himself with us infidels when he was fighting the Soviets, and didn't turn against the U.S. until we exerted our influence and established a permanent presence in Saudi Arabia - which, for all intents, killed his ambitions of overthrowing the royal family and establishing himself as leader of the kingdom (and its oil).
Don't get me wrong - his ideal government was a theocracy, but his goals had more to do with seizing territory and authority than spreading a faith.

They are most definitely political. I just give less legitimacy to a group seeking a worldwide caliphate than I do one seeking a united Ireland or a Palestinian state.