Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: keefer madness  (Read 10177 times)

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
Re: keefer madness
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
Luckily you can end every chem lab report with, "the project didn't work due to human error".

I finished my final lab report of Chem 2 with that and then added: "In this instance, the error was probably that I didn't clean my glassware all semester."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Holy crap, you old bastards had Haworth too?

Who you calling old, sonny?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »
Haworth?!

Who had to bring that dude's name up?!

?-(
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »

I love this country but I sometimes think our short-term focus on profit costs more in the long run than prudent, socially-responsible measures that require investment that actually generates a greater return over time. I would love to think we could get traction on deploying this American technology in the US, especially in the NE and SE, but the lawyers have created an environment that precludes corporate social responsibility in these industrial verticals.

I despise the quarterly time cycle and agree with you that it pushes short term thinking, often.  On the other hand, it also forces some accountability and doesn't let the ship stray too far from the lane usually.  The comment about the lawyers, well the exact opposite happens, as well.  Where we have industries that did flourish here in this country but the social responsibility gig has gone so far overboard it has driven them bye bye.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »
Totally agree! Just the future health costs associated with these issues more than offsets profits. Plus all the damage to the environment that then has to be mitigated in the future.

The EEA projects total Health Economics Impact of anthropogenic Hg in the EU to be in excess of 54B Euros in 2013. The list of medical issues is daunting and perhaps most tragically affects the unborn and infants most. The negative consequences are compounding and the cascading effects can be devastating medically, socially, economically, and environmentally.

The capital cost to fix this is miniscule compared with the ongoing expense of poisoning ourselves. And one thing we all need to consider: we are warned to not eat more than 2 servings of salmon a month due to methylmercury bioaccululation. One might think this is from American sources but the fact is that China is dumping hundreds of tons of elemental mercury into the atmosphere and that is what is polluting American salmon, American water supplies, and the American food chain. Bon appetit! 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:13:09 AM by keefe »

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »
I despise the quarterly time cycle and agree with you that it pushes short term thinking, often.  On the other hand, it also forces some accountability and doesn't let the ship stray too far from the lane usually. 

I like it, but the markets don't often pay it much attention. A pig can be lipsticked up with some kind words about the future, even if there are misdeeds and poor performance being reported. Interesting world.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 12:26:04 AM »
I like it, but the markets don't often pay it much attention. A pig can be lipsticked up with some kind words about the future, even if there are misdeeds and poor performance being reported. Interesting world.

I worked in Strat Planning for two of the more Share Holder Value obsessed corporations - PepsiCo and GE. Attention was paid to quarters but the real emphasis was on making the Annual Operating Plan. Making Plan translated into magnificent bonuses or career changes. It is carved in stone in Purchase and Fairfield that shareholders will get a 15% return year over year (meaning investors will double their investment in less than 5 years.) Both corporations also adhered to a rigorous 5 year Strategic Planning process that provided Wall Street with a road map for corporate vision. There is little wonder why both investments have delivered incredible returns decade after decade.

Death on call

The Process

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »
I worked in Strat Planning for two of the more Share Holder Value obsessed corporations - PepsiCo and GE.

I suspect that by working in "strat planning," KeefeHog really means that he brought the decision makers perfectly-stapled copies of their presentations.
Relax. Respect the Process.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
I suspect that by working in "strat planning," KeefeHog really means that he brought the decision makers perfectly-stapled copies of their presentations.
  HA HA HA,  You are just so funny.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »
The EEA projects total Health Economics Impact of anthropogenic Hg in the EU to be in excess of 54B Euros in 2013. The list of medical issues is daunting and perhaps most tragically affects the unborn and infants most. The negative consequences are compounding and the cascading effects can be devastating medically, socially, economically, and environmentally.

The capital cost to fix this is miniscule compared with the ongoing expense of poisoning ourselves. And one thing we all need to consider: we are warned to not eat more than 2 servings of salmon a month due to methylmercury bioaccululation. One might think this is from American sources but the fact is that China is dumping hundreds of tons of elemental mercury into the atmosphere and that is what is polluting American salmon, American water supplies, and the American food chain. Bon appetit! 

Keefe, I am completely in favor of your effort, but part of the reason it doesn't get more support is that a lot of these studies go out of their way to make the problems look worse than they are.  

For instance.  Only 70% of all mercury that ends up in the environment comes from man-made sources.  75% of that 70 is due to things like coal and wood burning in developing countries (think their kitchen stove/home heat).  That only leaves around 19% of all mercury that we can do anything about.  And even that approach results in formation of Mercury (II) Chloride, which is still toxic.

The health consequences can be mediated by increased public awareness of the types of fish that contain elevated levels of Mercury and increased vigilance in eating those types of fish.  The bulk of the health related consequences is due to estimates of the financial cost of decreased IQ in individuals exposed to too much methyl-mercury.  That is extremely difficult to quantify and would be solved by eating less tuna/salmon/swordfish.

We should decrease the amount of mercury being released, because we should be taking better care of our environment, not by scaring people with often inflated economic consequences.  In addition, the ultimate solution to these problems is clean energy (not carbon based), as even the best approaches right now generate Mercuric chloride.  

Please, don't take this as an assault on what you are doing.  I applaud that and thing more need to be focusing on these things.  I just believe that the way we sell them (scare tactics that can be inflated), often turns some people passionately against the idea instead of gaining their support.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
Keefe, I am completely in favor of your effort, but part of the reason it doesn't get more support is that a lot of these studies go out of their way to make the problems look worse than they are.  

For instance.  Only 70% of all mercury that ends up in the environment comes from man-made sources.  75% of that 70 is due to things like coal and wood burning in developing countries (think their kitchen stove/home heat).  That only leaves around 19% of all mercury that we can do anything about.  And even that approach results in formation of Mercury (II) Chloride, which is still toxic.

The health consequences can be mediated by increased public awareness of the types of fish that contain elevated levels of Mercury and increased vigilance in eating those types of fish.  The bulk of the health related consequences is due to estimates of the financial cost of decreased IQ in individuals exposed to too much methyl-mercury.  That is extremely difficult to quantify and would be solved by eating less tuna/salmon/swordfish.

We should decrease the amount of mercury being released, because we should be taking better care of our environment, not by scaring people with often inflated economic consequences.  In addition, the ultimate solution to these problems is clean energy (not carbon based), as even the best approaches right now generate Mercuric chloride.  

Please, don't take this as an assault on what you are doing.  I applaud that and thing more need to be focusing on these things.  I just believe that the way we sell them (scare tactics that can be inflated), often turns some people passionately against the idea instead of gaining their support.

Your point is well taken and it has never been our intent to try to sell anyone on the problem. We are simply offering a practical and, by comparison, relatively inexpensive solution to an acknowledged problem. The focus of our discussions has not been on the magnitude of the problem but the ease of fixing it. Our audiences are looking for solutions that are effective, efficient, and cost-effective.

From your figures I do feel you may be underestimating the severity of this problem. There is a range of statistics in the art that demonstrate degree of impact but nothing suggests there is not a problem with Hg. Regardless of the source, I think we can agree that there is a problem that can be fixed. And the answer is not to eat less fish; there are practical solutions that will allow people to eat as much salmon as they want!

The good news is that we have not had to convince the EU and Government of Germany that there is a problem. We demonstrated a viable, cost-effective solution that has traction in Europe.  But to your point on alternative fuels, our main effort is on a related technology that will reduce NOx, CO, and CO2 by more than 95%. And that is something that will genuinely make a difference.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »

Well, the copier can handle that with a perfect 45 degree angled staple.

I don't see Keefe as a 45 degree angle staple guy though, he's a perpendicular to the long edge type of fellow.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
Keefe has a GE background.  Paper and staples are not used in his pitches.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:16 AM »
Keefe has a GE background.  Paper and staples are not used in his pitches.

I bet he's used a staple or two.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »
I bet he's used a staple or two.

Feigned reference to age?? But yes, I have not only used staples in the past but was always a perpendicular to the long edge guy. I two block items on my desk, too. And toilet paper must spool from the top.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
Calculus got tough when they tried to take our calculators.

Calculator? Try slide rules!

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
And toilet paper must spool from the top.

Perhaps the best indicator of intellectual stability.
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »
Feigned reference to age?? But yes, I have not only used staples in the past but was always a perpendicular to the long edge guy. I two block items on my desk, too. And toilet paper must spool from the top.

+1. All the ways it should be done.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »

Paper towels?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
Paper towels?

Paper towels should be done vertically. Anyone still using the under-cabinet hangers need to graduate into the new millennium.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Paper towels?

paper towels should spool clockwise from the vertical position.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
Toilet paper is so 90's. Is it rainin' out in the Pacific NW?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
Toilet paper is so 90's. Is it rainin' out in the Pacific NW?

Still waiting for those flushable baby wipes, until then I can't commit.

JayBee on the other hand needs a baker's dozen of baby wipes after polishing off a bucket of chicken wings.

Grandstaff

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
Toilet paper is so 90's.

For 4ever, Depends is the "new" Toilet Paper...for the rest of us, it is finding creative uses for the modern age plumbing hardware.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »
And we have a new persona...not a big fan though keefe.

feedback