Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looney visit to Duke started last night  (Read 42347 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Looney visit to Duke started last night
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Chicos--we get it!!!!!!!!!!

You think Bo is a pretty good/really good/great coach.  We get your position on Coach Cryin.

Every other frickin post you are reminding us what you think of Bo.  Leave it alone for christs sake.

Chillax

We also get that some people think he's a grandpa, not a coach that can get guys into the association, etc. 

The ignore button works well, also.  Please capitalize Christ...he's earned it.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Ironically, Chicos wasn't always such a big Bo Ryan fan. He used to rip him pretty hard back in the day. But when Crean left and MU hired Buzz he started lovin' himself some Bo.

Oh I still hate UW-madison and I still rip on him from time to time, but back in the day he hadn't done a whole lot.  He's earned my respect as a coach.  As a person...not that enamored of him.   It's really weird Lenny, but people can grow on people, or people can change and do change, or simply put some people can earn the praise of others by continually doing things at a high level.  Crazy, but it does happen....all the time.  Just as you have said there was a certain someone you supported but over time you no longer wanted him as your coach....hmm, you mean people's opinions can change and you've admitted it yourself.  LOL.

Your timelines above, however, are inaccurate...again.  Go figure.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2013, 01:27:43 AM »
I guess it all depends to whom one is comparing it to.  Duke, Kentucky, UCLA?  The new data won't be out until next month, but going off opening day rosters of last year that RPIRATINGS put together, Wisconsin had more guys in the NBA than Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Kansas State, Purdue, St. John's, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Xavier, Boston College, Arizona State, BYU, Oklahoma, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Minnesota, West Virginia, Temple, North Carolina State, etc, etc.   Wisconsin had the same number of NBA guys as Louisville, Pitt, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Iowa State, Georgetown, Missouri, UNLV, Cincinnati, Florida State, etc.

In fact, only 25 schools had more players in the NBA than Wisconsin....all the usual suspects including Marquette, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc...and then the odd ones like USC, Washington, Notre Dame, Stanford, Colorado.

One could also argue that with so "few players in the Association" by Wisconsin (again, I don't think that's necessarily accurate), yet they still won multiple Big Ten titles, Big Ten Tournaments, NCAA games, etc....they must be doing something right or have a pretty good coach at the helm.

UW has scrubs...not impact players. Bit players...No comparison at all to MU.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2013, 01:31:50 AM »
When I'm looking a fair, accurate assessment of Buzz and Marquette I always go to the Wisconsin message boards.
Fair? They don't know what the hell they are talking about. Buzz has done a phenomenal job of advancing players.
There is no debate whatsoever as far as I am concerned with it. He has established a 'Brand' of MU hoops that has benefitted all his players who try to make it into the league.
The Trent Lockett signing and Buycks signing for me cinched it...He has no peer in the last 5 years. Argue all you want. And I am not just being a homer.

Look around. And judging by his roster this year the pipeline is only going to continue with the guys they have now reaching their potential.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:33:31 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2013, 06:24:49 AM »
Fair? They don't know what the hell they are talking about. Buzz has done a phenomenal job of advancing players.
There is no debate whatsoever as far as I am concerned with it. He has established a 'Brand' of MU hoops that has benefitted all his players who try to make it into the league.
The Trent Lockett signing and Buycks signing for me cinched it...He has no peer in the last 5 years. Argue all you want. And I am not just being a homer.

Look around. And judging by his roster this year the pipeline is only going to continue with the guys they have now reaching their potential.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2013, 08:20:29 AM »

As Brew noted, my post was sarcastic. I basically agree with everything you wrote.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
UW has scrubs...not impact players. Bit players...No comparison at all to MU.

I'm not making any comparison to MU.  The question was whether he could put players in the Association.  The answer is, yes, he can.  25 schools currently have more than Wisconsin.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »
Ironically, Chicos wasn't always such a big Bo Ryan fan. He used to rip him pretty hard back in the day. But when Crean left and MU hired Buzz he started lovin' himself some Bo.

I really do wonder what selective reading you have.  I hope I don't get old   ;D

A quick scan....

2007....I believe Buzz was an assistant at MU in 2007    http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=2699.msg20188#msg20188

2007 again...Ryan a "Master and great coach"...but I also take a rip on him as well.  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=1090.msg7792#msg7792

After Buzz....no problem ripping Ryan   http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=21504.msg232986#msg232986

Plenty of other examples as you well know.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
So, any news on Looney's Duke visit?  ::)
Goal is National Championship

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
So, any news on Looney's Duke visit?  ::)

Yes, article posted above.   ::)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »
Sorry, should had specified CURRENT news.... ;D
Goal is National Championship

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
Coach K in town right now for Looney and Stone. With Jeff Capel. Losing them to Duke would soften the blow, as opposed to outright insanity if they went to UW.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »
Kevon Looney to Announce Oct. 31

Kevon Looney, the 6-foot-8 power forward from Milwaukee Hamilton, will announce his college choice Oct. 31, he confirmed to SNY.tv Saturday night from USA Basketball in Colorado Springs, Colo.

“Halloween, October 31st,” he said.

He is down to Duke, Tennessee, Florida, Michigan State, UCLA and Wisconsin.

“I have two more [official visits] left,” he said. “I have Michigan State and UCLA. Michigan State is next week on the 13th. UCLA I’m not 100 percent sure on the date. It’s either going to be the 25th or the 20th or something.”
He has already visited Florida, Duke and Tennessee officially.

Florida was the first visit Aug. 30.

“I went to Florida first,” he said. “It was a great experience. They have a great campus. The players were a lot of fun, the coaches were a lot of fun, I had a great time there.”

He visited Duke Sept. 6.

“Duke was a lot of fun,” he said. “Coach K is a great guy. He’s a legend in the game. Duke has a great tradition of basketball and education. And it has great facilities.”

Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor are also with USA Basketball and will visit Duke together Oct. 25, but Looney said they’re not necessarily recruiting him hard.

“I talk to them guys a lot,” he said. “They’re pretty cool. But they don’t know where they’re going, either, so I don’t know.”

Looney went to Tennessee Sept. 20.

“Tennessee was a lot of fun,” he said. “The coaching staff, I got a great relationship with them. My dad’s from there and we got to visit his old high school and go down memory lane for him. I had a great time with the players, got to interact with them a lot.”

Wisconsin is the local school and he has been there on unofficial visits.

All six schools have been “consistent on the calls and coming in the open gym at my high school,” Looney said of his suitors.

Wherever he goes, Looney figures to be an impact player.

“I’ll bring a versatile player,” Looney said. “I think I can score the ball. I’ve become a much better shooter. I’m getting stronger. I can defend multiple positions. And I’m a great rebounder.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/kevon-looney-to-announce-oct-31/

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
His vocab could use some expanding. Apparently he thinks all of the schools are fun...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »
His vocab could use some expanding. Apparently he thinks all of the schools are fun...

At least he didn't say University of Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
Pretty accurate from what I said was gonna happen over a month ago, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
Pretty accurate from what I said was gonna happen over a month ago, hey?

So where's he going then?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »

Somewhere fun

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »
He'd never make it at Harris's high school, then. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

Nothin's changed. I believe him when he says he doesn't know yet.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »

Nothin's changed. I believe him when he says he doesn't know yet.

I would not be surprised if it is UW-madison.  I think it will be Duke or Florida, but not counting out Becky.   Usually I go with whomever the last visit it is with as the leader in the clubhouse, but the fact he doesn't know when that visit even is has me believing its not at the top. Though maybe once he sets foot in Westwood he changes his mind for UCLA. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »
Nick Young is his first cousin. Yet, Alford and UCLA would really have to be extraordinary at the visit to seal the deal. The distance is a huge deterrent since his folks are determined to attend as many games as possible.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »
Somewhere fun

Fun? Fox Sports 1 Motto? Marquette as a Dark Horse?!?!?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
So if Im reading correctly Chicos--
It could be Duke.
But it could be Florida.
It might be Wisconsin.
But it very well could be UCLA.

Thanks for that insight. Maybe Tenn?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »
I would not be surprised if it is UW-madison.  I think it will be Duke or Florida, but not counting out Becky.   Usually I go with whomever the last visit it is with as the leader in the clubhouse, but the fact he doesn't know when that visit even is has me believing its not at the top. Though maybe once he sets foot in Westwood he changes his mind for UCLA. 

So you think it will be Duke or Florida, won't be surprised if it's UW, and think maybe he could change his mind when he sees Westwood and pick UCLA. That's one long limb you're out on, dude.

feedback