[June 07, 2024, 09:44:59 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 07, 2024, 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Johnny Football  (Read 16945 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Johnny Football
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
Athlete or not, many college kids do stupid things and brag about them (e.g. the Iowa girl who blew a .341 trying to run onto the football field and then spent the next 12 hours on and off tweeting about how awesome she is). I'm not so high and mighty as to differentiate between one who's the daughter of my neighbor and one who plays football.

Agree, though I think that .341 story is somewhat bogus.  I'd like to see who calibrated their breathelizer.  A .341 should make you dead or in a coma.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:30:18 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »
Agree, though I think that .341 story is somewhat bogus.  I'd like to see who calibrated their breathelizer.  A .341 should make you dead or in a coma.

Actually, this isn't necessarily true. My department responds to alcohol situations frequently. I have seen someone blow a .410 and still be conscious. Granted, they weren't moving, but they were still awake.

My guess is that when she ran onto the field she was "on her way up." Her BAC peaked at .341 but when she ran onto the field it was probably much lower.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
Actually, this isn't necessarily true. My department responds to alcohol situations frequently. I have seen someone blow a .410 and still be conscious. Granted, they weren't moving, but they were still awake.

My guess is that when she ran onto the field she was "on her way up." Her BAC peaked at .341 but when she ran onto the field it was probably much lower.

Interesting.  I was always told a number that high and you are seriously screwed.  I suppose exceptions to every rule.

Here is one of the charts that outlines based on body weight what a number like that could mean.  For women, a .341 shows up in "death possible" assuming she is around 100lbs.  I have no idea how big this gal was.  

http://www.brad21.org/bac_charts.html

brandx

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
You sure sound like someone who's pretty high and mighty.

Does your neighbor's daughter go to school for free? Is she a well-known representative of her university? Is she a role model to young people across the country? If you're on the "everyone's doing it, so it's fine" train, good for you. Personally, I hold people to a higher standard than that. Are you not familiar with the biblical notion that to whom much is given, much is required?  ;)

A couple points.
1. I'm tired of the "going to school for free" thing. He has no other option but to go to school. The rules won't let him earn a living doing what he does best (so much for the free market).
2. A role model? How about parents being a role model to their kids instead of shirking their duty and expecting a total stranger to be what they have failed to be.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
A couple points.
1. I'm tired of the "going to school for free" thing. He has no other option but to go to school. The rules won't let him earn a living doing what he does best (so much for the free market).
2. A role model? How about parents being a role model to their kids instead of shirking their duty and expecting a total stranger to be what they have failed to be.

1. That doesn't change the fact that he has been given the opportunity to receive a free education.

2. Whether you like it or not, athletes are role models. Sure, parents would ideally be the primary role models in their kids lives, but that isn't always the case. Just because you don't think he should be a role model, that doesn't mean that he isn't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »

World record is .914.
Never get into a drinking contest with an Eastern European.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2005/01/04/drunk-bulgarian-050104.html

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
You sure sound like someone who's pretty high and mighty.

Does your neighbor's daughter go to school for free? Is she a well-known representative of her university? Is she a role model to young people across the country? If you're on the "everyone's doing it, so it's fine" train, good for you. Personally, I hold people to a higher standard than that. Are you not familiar with the biblical notion that to whom much is given, much is required?  ;)

Manziel was arrested and charged with three misdemeanors. I assume you're fine with that though since other 19-year-olds have gotten into fights and then produced a fake ID.

High and mighty would be getting panties in a bunch over behavior that has been going on for decades, whether in a spotlight or not. But with the always convenient fall back to biblical ideology, this is territory I won't enter.

Regarding Manziel's legal run-ins, much as I viewed Vander's moment, this crap happens in college. Though, in Johnny's case, rarely do you see a kid start with caution and try to diffuse the situation like he did according to sworn witness testimony until the fight was brought to him. It's not like Manziel pulled a Pierre Pierce. As for a fake ID? I'd be shocked if Manziel didn't have one.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:39:32 AM by Golden Avalanche »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
Fake ID or Marijuana?  Which one are you offered first in the dorm?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
High and mighty would be getting panties in a bunch over behavior that has been going on for decades, whether in a spotlight or not. But with the always convenient fall back to biblical ideology, this is territory I won't enter.

Regarding Manziel's legal run-ins, much as I viewed Vander's moment, this crap happens in college. Though, in Johnny's case, rarely do you see a kid start with caution and try to diffuse the situation like he did according to sworn witness testimony until the fight was brought to him. It's not like Manziel pulled a Pierre Pierce. As for a fake ID? I'd be shocked if Manziel didn't have one.

Yeah he's a pillar of calmness, which is why he has had to be treated for alcohol addiction and anger management.  It's also why he shoved a team manager to the ground (because he throw 3 interceptions) and was about to attack him before his team restrained him. 

When I was in college I knew a lot of the athletes.  Did they drink, yeah, but just like every other student they tried to be a little discrete about it. Did they do a few stupid things, yeah, but again they tried to be discrete about ti.

Manziel goes extremely over the top with everything.  Experts say that his actions have probably already cost him millions in the future.  Why, because his actions are way beyond the norm.  They represent a character flaw, consistent with an egomaniac A$$hole.  To try to represent his actions as typical college behavior is either naive to the average college student, or rather condones the actions of the fringe 10% who as Johnny does, have character flaws that will affect their careers/families/friends.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »

Depends on the school.

When I was at MU, very few drugs.

I was on Spring break once back home in L.A. and went to a party with some of my buds and Loyola Marymount and then over at USC.  At SC, the cocaine was at every party if you wanted it....it was an eye opener. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
I have no dog in this hunt.  I could not care less about Johnny Football's exploits.

That said, if he wants to be an NFL quarterback, he needs to get serious.  At this rate, he may flame out before his eligibility is complete.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »

Why would you show up without either
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »

I was offered pot once in 4 years at MU.   Of course, beer was $5.99 a case......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »

I was offered pot once in 4 years at MU.   Of course, beer was $5.99 a case......
Once? Sounds like the band geeks got crazy one night and ONCE tried to turn a sax into a bong. Beer being $5.99 a case only means you have plenty of money to spend.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
I graduated in 08 and if you knew where to look, beer was still 5.99 a case. Pot was everywhere, except the library. I miss college.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
I graduated in 08 and if you knew where to look, beer was still 5.99 a case. Pot was everywhere, except the library. I miss college.

Mount Creek?  $6 for a thirty pack.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
For all of you who may be judging me, when I was in college, I had no standards (it was tough to be a guy at MU and have standards). 
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
Mount Creek?  $6 for a thirty pack.

That is really cheap.  The cheapest I ever remember seeing was something called Wildcat Ice, gas station in Duluth had it for $2.50 a 12-pack.

Other than that the cheapest beer I an think of available everywhere was Schaefer Light. 

For both, you got what you paid for.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
For all of you who may be judging me, when I was in college, I had no standards (it was tough to be a guy at MU and have standards). 

Ah, the go-to excuse for guys who were perpetually shot down except for the occasional fatty.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
MU girls made it easier to pick up girls while visiting other colleges.  Not saying im just saying.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
Ah, the go-to excuse for guys who were perpetually shot down except for the occasional fatty.

Ain't nothing wrong with fatties. It's the sloppy ones I hasitate on. (3x's more gut than butt)

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
MU girls made it easier to pick up girls while visiting other colleges.  Not saying im just saying.

So MU girls are tease?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »
Depends on the school.

I was on Spring break once back home in L.A. and went to a party with some of my buds and Loyola Marymount and then over at USC.  At SC, the cocaine was at every party if you wanted it....it was an eye opener. 

I was Marquette about the same time you were and pot was at a bunch of the parties I went to.  The only time I saw drugs harder than that was when some people were doing coke at a party...and I got out of there pretty quick.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »

I was Marquette about the same time you were and pot was at a bunch of the parties I went to.  The only time I saw drugs harder than that was when some people were doing coke at a party...and I got out of there pretty quick.

I guess I was at my girlfriend's place too much, honestly didn't come in contact with it very much at all.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
Depends on the school.

I was on Spring break once back home in L.A. and went to a party with some of my buds and Loyola Marymount and then over at USC.  At SC, the cocaine was at every party if you wanted it....it was an eye opener.  

While MU is a drinking school first and foremost, there was a decent amount of pot at MU. Although it wasn't my thing, I knew lots of people who did it, and it was relatively easy to acquire if you wanted it. Saw people doing coke once or twice but it wasn't ubiquitous like at some schools.

Peruse the Marquette Tribune DPS reports online sometime. They are pretty funny. A lot of the reports are about controlled substances.

Oh and I graduated in '08 and there were still 30 packs of beer to be had for  < $10 if you knew the right liquor stores in some of the less pleasant areas of Milwaukee
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:21:43 PM by Bleuteaux »

feedback