[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Frank Ben-Eze is headed to Harvard....  (Read 17784 times)

muguru

• All American
Frank Ben-Eze is headed to Harvard....
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:33:35 PM »
According to IWB on the scout board.  :(
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Frank Ben-Eze is headed to Harvard....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:50:30 PM »
Good for him. I've always wondered why more elite athletes don't go to the Ivy League schools. If you can get in they'll find a way to fund your education, even if there aren't scholarships.
We Are Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »
Certainly Harvard is a better place for academics, and with Amaker getting a couple good recruits already, they might just land at the top of the Ivy League soon.

But sigh - I was really hoping to see FBE in an MU uniform  :-\

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:00:11 PM »
congrats to Frank.  that's awesome for him

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:21:02 PM »
DAM! >:(

So now that Ben-Eze, Crittle, and Goulbourne all off to other destinations who is our top remaining 'Big' target for next season?  I was really hoping to get one of those three. 

I believe Swopshire will be in attendence for Madness.  Do these recent developments sweeten the pot for both Swop and MU?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:30:24 PM »
That sucks. I really thought he would have fit well on our roster.

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:33:01 PM »
Did a little research.....................Sutton is still out there.  Not sure I feel about that.  The potential is there.

My guess is that we miss out on any big with substantial height unless TC pulls a suprise out of some corner of the country.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 06:37:03 PM »
DAM! >:(

So now that Ben-Eze, Crittle, and Goulbourne all off to other destinations who is our top remaining 'Big' target for next season?  I was really hoping to get one of those three. 

I believe Swopshire will be in attendence for Madness.  Do these recent developments sweeten the pot for both Swop and MU?

I think Swopshire was already a top target over Crittle and Goulbourne, so it just makes getting him even more important.

As for remaining big man targets, there are still a few out there.   Garrett Stutz is supposed to visit two weeks after Midnight Madness, but he is scheduled to go to Kentucky's Midnight Madness before that and has a visit scheduled to SMU the week after that.  If Kentucky offers, I'm not even sure he'll make it to MU.  Edwin Garribay still lists MU but I don't know how serious that is.  There is also Chris Otule who is being recruited by UConn among others.   And MU is still at the top of Maurice Sutton's list. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »
We''re not apt to get quality bigs (non projects)  at #5 until TC adapts his offense to better accomodate
a postup's talents. If I'm a top big I wouldn't want to be in a guard orientated offense where all i do is set picks for them or hide behind the backboard waiting for dishoffs----i would want to be able to display my abilities with my back to the hoop -----ala Harengody!

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 07:25:01 PM »
Didn't know where to put this, but I've been told by a person who I have a reasonable amount of trust in that Shumpert will make his decision next Thursday.  I also understand that, if he doesn't announce it then, I open myself up to a lot of criticism.

OpenLook

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
As elated as I was yesterday at the TM news, I'm dragged down over FBE. You would have to think he was our #1 target at the 5. Seems like we go through this every year, huge potential with top-flight big man recruit only to have it dashed. With Ooze graduating, we absolutely need to land a quality big. I was hoping that FBE would start the positive dominio effect -- spilling over to Shumpert and beyond. The larger question, does this negatively impact his recruitment or others? Or does it open the door to a quality big that might not yet be on our radar? Whatever, right now I feel kinda like I did when Jerry Smith hit that 30-footer last season at the BC.

4everwarriors

• All American
What Did I Tell You, Chicos...
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 07:56:19 PM »
Nobody turns down Harvard.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 09:48:56 PM »
Didn't know where to put this, but I've been told by a person who I have a reasonable amount of trust in that Shumpert will make his decision next Thursday.  I also understand that, if he doesn't announce it then, I open myself up to a lot of criticism.

Did that person read the thread from the Scout message board?

Losing Ben-Eze hurts big time.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 09:51:39 PM »
We''re not apt to get quality bigs (non projects)  at #5 until TC adapts his offense to better accomodate
a postup's talents. If I'm a top big I wouldn't want to be in a guard orientated offense where all i do is set picks for them or hide behind the backboard waiting for dishoffs----i would want to be able to display my abilities with my back to the hoop -----ala Harengody!

I think that if Crean got a really good big man, he would feature them more; like he was able to do with Robert Jackson his only year at MU.  Crean has tailored his offense to suit his personnel in my opinion.  I guess the question is what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 10:00:17 PM »

Did that person read the thread from the Scout message board?

Was it on Scout.com?  In any case no, I doubt that's where he got it from.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »
Marquette vs. Harvard? what would you do?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »
Certainly Harvard is a better place for academics, and with Amaker getting a couple good recruits already, they might just land at the top of the Ivy League soon.

MU Viking will not be happy.  He maintained that ACADEMICALLY MU was the better choice b/c we offer more options or something in engineering.  Proving once and for all that Vikings fans are idiots.

Congrats FBE, you're getting one of the best educations around.  In the spirit of Al McGuire, you're using the game, not letting the game use you.  Happy for the kid, sad for MU but happy for the kid.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 01:20:13 AM »

MU Viking will not be happy.  He maintained that ACADEMICALLY MU was the better choice b/c we offer more options or something in engineering.  Proving once and for all that Vikings fans are idiots.

Congrats FBE, you're getting one of the best educations around.  In the spirit of Al McGuire, you're using the game, not letting the game use you.  Happy for the kid, sad for MU but happy for the kid.

Actually, we do have more options when it comes to engineering.  Harvard has a engineering science degree but as far as I know, doesn't have the specialties that MU has in each engineering field.  MU does have more options but Harvard is Harvard.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 08:49:27 AM »
Marquette vs. Harvard? what would you do?

If I had even a shred of NBA aspirations, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to choose MU. 

He must really like engineering.  I'm not knocking him, he just probably sees himself pursuing something outside of basketball as a career.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 09:13:11 AM »

What about Robert Jackson and Merrit?

Both were featured pretty extensively.

I'm not exactly sure why the shortage of big men at MU, but I do know that most coaches (probably all) design/run their offenses to fit their talents. 

Obviously Crean has some overall offensive strategies (dribble penetration, offensive rebounding, primary break, secondary break, etc, etc,), but if you think a good big man wouldn't get the ball here... you're crazy. 

Not exactly sure why MU has been in on (but failed to land) their top big men targets in the past 5 years. I believe that each kid is his own unique situation, but I also have to admit that there is starting to be a pattern.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 09:20:51 AM »
tommy amaker.  apparently he can recruit...even if he can't coach.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 09:40:28 AM »
The issue is timing.  Because MU isn't UNC or Kentucky they ferret these guys out early.  MU is always on a guy's list because Crean and his staff are v. good at recognizing talent. 

They risk losing these kids once they perform at a high level in HS and AAU.  Look @ Shumpert as a perfect example.  Crean is all over him and then ta da!  There is Roy Williams at his door.

With a degree from Harvard, who cares if you play in the NBA ever?  That is life changing.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 09:45:45 AM »

I'm not exactly sure why the shortage of big men at MU, but I do know that most coaches (probably all) design/run their offenses to fit their talents. 

Obviously Crean has some overall offensive strategies (dribble penetration, offensive rebounding, primary break, secondary break, etc, etc,), but if you think a good big man wouldn't get the ball here... you're crazy. 

Not exactly sure why MU has been in on (but failed to land) their top big men targets in the past 5 years. I believe that each kid is his own unique situation, but I also have to admit that there is starting to be a pattern.

I've said for years, we won't get a big man until we have a big man recruiting.  Why would a 6'10" player want to play for a bunch of ex-guards.  We miss Dwayne Stephens and to some extent Bo.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »

I've said for years, we won't get a big man until we have a big man recruiting.  Why would a 6'10" player want to play for a bunch of ex-guards.  We miss Dwayne Stephens and to some extent Bo.

You could be right... but I'm sure there are other teams that have landed big men without a former big man recruiting them (for the sake of argument).

Anyways, it's all speculative at best... each kid is his own unique situation (butch, steinsma, fazekus, webster, ben-eze, etc.) and I don't think anybody here is privy to the actual rationale on why they didn't chose MU.

Hopefully the coaches are getting the feedback and have a good understand of what is going on... because sure I don't  :-\

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »
This might come across as sour grapes, but it's not meant as so. This might be a blessing in disguise. Not faulting him for it, but basketball is clearly #2 for Frank. To be honest, it would not surprise me if he was one of those guys that didn't finish out four years of ball. He clearly chose Harvard for the books, if ball starts to get in the way of that, it wouldn't shock me if he cut out basketball.

Just my two cents. Again, not meant to be sour grapes, but a scenario I felt was possible since he listed Harvard as a finalist.