[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WSJ: At Alabama, Fans Are Getting a Little Bored With All the Winning  (Read 9314 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Page 1 story today (August 27) in the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324906304579037120239331200.html?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsFifth

At Alabama, Fans Are Getting a Little Bored With All the Winning
The Crimson Tide Has turned College Football Into a Snooze—Even in Tuscaloosa

Sometime in the middle of last season—which, like the previous season, ended with Alabama winning college football's national title—the popular sports-radio host Paul Finebaum was filling up his car at a gas station in Alabama.

A listener stopped him to say three things. The first was "Roll Tide." The second was that Nick Saban becoming the coach of the Crimson Tide was one of the greatest things that had ever happened in his life. The third was something Finebaum wasn't used to hearing: "To be perfectly honest with you," the fan said, "it's really gotten boring."

Alabama, the closest thing to a dynasty in modern college football, has managed to turn this sport into an autumnal snooze. The prohibitive favorite to win the national championship yet again, the No. 1-ranked Tide owns three of the last four titles, has been favored by Las Vegas oddsmakers for 43 straight games and is now targeting the sport's first three-peat since the 1940s.

As Alabama prepares to open its season Saturday against Virginia Tech, the 124 other teams theoretically playing the same game are once again united in a single purpose: to dethrone the Tide. But hardly anyone appears up to it. Archrival Auburn is rebuilding. And by a stroke of scheduling luck, Alabama gets to skip Southeastern Conference powers Georgia, Florida and South Carolina. Basically, there are two games between the Tide and the SEC championship: a Sept. 14 trip to No. 7 Texas A&M and a Nov. 9 home game against 12th-ranked Louisiana State.

Meanwhile, running back T.J. Yeldon is a Heisman Trophy candidate and quarterback A.J. McCarron is returning for his third season as the starter, having already collected a pair of crystal footballs in that role.

As other schools like Texas A&M, Oregon, Florida State and Southern California attract headlines about everything from lavish facilities and possible NCAA violations to uncertainty about who will be the starting quarterback, the only thing that approached controversial proportions during Alabama's preseason is who might take on the role of McCarron's backup.

Amid all of this prolonged dominance, there are signs that boredom, if not downright apathy, has started to creep in. The first offenders: Alabama students. The Crimson White, Alabama's school newspaper, reported in November that 30% of student tickets went unused by students last season.

"You get to the point where there's a game against Western Carolina at 11 in the morning that's not really worth waking up for," said Marc Torrence, the newspaper's sports editor, referring to a 49-0 rout last season. "You can do a whole lot of other things on a Saturday, like get a head start on your drinking or sleep in, that are a lot more interesting."

Complacency may be the only thing that can stop the Tide at this point. With a growing sense that Alabama is invincible, others are desperately hoping that some of the fan mentality seeps onto the field. "If Alabama loses, it's going to be because of Alabama, not because of who they're playing," said ex-Auburn coach Pat Dye.

The 2010 season, the interregnum when the Tide lost three games while hated Auburn won the national title, proved to Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley that any team can be beaten. "If you feel like you cannot lose, then you probably will at some point," he said.

But the governor, who said he has watched every Alabama game since 1971, declared Saban the best coach in the country and credited his system for warding off complacency. "They know he's not going to tolerate anything but 100% commitment," he said.

The result of this run, Finebaum said, is that fans of other SEC schools are sick of hearing about Alabama, and Alabama loyalists refuse to acknowledge the other SEC schools. "There isn't anyone else in the world that exists," Finebaum said. "It's fairly tedious trying to find something interesting to say."
So Will They Win?

Those who are rooting for a fiery Alabama football collapse are pinning their hopes on the team's somewhat less-than-perfect offensive line. Between 2006 and 2012, Alabama running backs increased their yards per carry every season behind that peerless line, making the Tide the only team in major college football since at least 2000 to do so for six straight seasons.

Now, though, Alabama relies on three new linemen, and no SEC team is bringing back fewer offensive-line starts. Football guru Phil Steele ranks the line a modest 19th nationally, behind those of Cincinnati and Utah State.

Alabama will face six top-25 defensive fronts, per Steele's projections, including Virginia Tech's on Saturday. And the Tide's line is under the direction of a new position coach, Mario Cristobal, who has emphasized handwork by introducing a blocking drill in which the linemen take turns shuffling laterally while punching a padded wall.

Saban has acknowledged that there are questions about the offensive line. He also admitted to reporters after the team's first scrimmage this month that the linemen lacked "the kind of power we need to play with," a critique he echoed after their second scrimmage. The coach's dissatisfaction even had him tinkering with the line formation as recently as last week.

For any team with its sights on the national title, let alone one chasing three in a row, losing the best offensive line in school history would be worrisome. But the Tide had to replace three starters in 2009—and that year ended with Saban's first title in Tuscaloosa.

Alabama left tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, a first-team all-SEC preseason pick, brushed off the skepticism as if he were a seasoned Finebaum caller. "It's like building a sand castle," Kouandjio said. "Somebody's criticizing you because it's deformed, but little do they know it's not a finished product yet."

Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer agreed with Kouandjio's assessment. When asked Monday about Alabama's weaknesses, Beamer offered a response Alabama fans could appreciate.

"Haven't found one yet," he said.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Sorry, I meant to put this in the superbar, mods please move

Aughnanure

• All American
The secret the SEC doesn't want anyone talking about: Uneven Schedules.

Bama doesn't have to play Georgia, Florida and South Carolina and only plays TWO ranked teams all year.

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Pakuni

• All American
The secret the SEC doesn't want anyone talking about: Uneven Schedules.

Bama doesn't have to play Georgia, Florida and South Carolina and only plays TWO ranked teams all year.

Well,  certainly there's a good chance they'll play one of those three (Georgia, Florida, S. Carolina) in the SEC title game. When all is said and done, I don't think anyone can argue that any SEC team plays a soft schedule.

LAZER

• All American
Well,  certainly there's a good chance they'll play one of those three (Georgia, Florida, S. Carolina) in the SEC title game. When all is said and done, I don't think anyone can argue that any SEC team plays a soft schedule.

I did read that Bama had the easiest schedule in the SEC, but it's still something like #40 in the country.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Have no worries friends. The Aggies will decimate them when they come to College Station. Winner of that game essentially wins the SEC.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Aughnanure

• All American
I did read that Bama had the easiest schedule in the SEC, but it's still something like #40 in the country.

And its not the 1st time either. Other coaches, especially Les Miles I believe, have complained abotu it the past - as though Bama seems to always get a favorable schedule even in the SEC.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American

I think you can say its overrated.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Whatever college football is stupid.  Bama now is the next Notre Dame or Texas.  They'll fall and the new big team will step up.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
I think you can say its overrated.

What's overrated? The schedule, the team or the conference?
Is it even possible to overrate a conference that finished last season with five teams ranked in the Top 10 (top nine, if you want to be precise)?

chapman

• All American
Re: WSJ: At Alabama, Fans Are Getting a Little Bored With All the Winning
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
If winning isn't a challenge, perhaps they can try to get the team's literacy rate above 25%.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »
If winning isn't a challenge, perhaps they can try to get the team's literacy rate above 25%.

Well, in all fairness, Alabama football's APR for 2011-12 was 978, which was among the best in the country among major programs, including better than nearly the entire Big 10 and Notre Dame. Also better than a certain men's basketball program from Milwaukee.

https://web1.ncaa.org/maps/tiwitytilamvmaprRelease.jsp

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
Well, in all fairness, Alabama football's APR for 2011-12 was 978, which was among the best in the country among major programs, including better than nearly the entire Big 10 and Notre Dame. Also better than a certain men's basketball program from Milwaukee.

https://web1.ncaa.org/maps/tiwitytilamvmaprRelease.jsp

Of course.... because we all know that the curriculum at Alabama - not to mention the academic integrity of its faculty - is right on par with all of those other institutions.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
Of course.... because we all know that the curriculum at Alabama - not to mention the academic integrity of its faculty - is right on par with all of those other institutions.

Facts don't conform with preconceived notions and stereotypes, therefore they must be somehow erroneous, manipulated or deceptive.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »

"You get to the point where there's a game against Western Carolina at 11 in the morning that's not really worth waking up for," said Marc Torrence, the newspaper's sports editor, referring to a 49-0 rout last season. "You can do a whole lot of other things on a Saturday, like get a head start on your drinking or sleep in, that are a lot more interesting."

Wow, coming from the sports editor no less.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »
College Football.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
Facts don't conform with preconceived notions and stereotypes, therefore they must be somehow erroneous, manipulated or deceptive.

Could you say that again, but this time write it in crayon and don't use such big words?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
Fred Glass was saying yesterday that hoops is maxed out on capacity (dollars, etc) and they have to improve football.  Several other basketball dominated schools have said that in the last few years or actually acted on it...Louisville being one, UCONN another.  Only so much you can drive with hoops

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
Could you say that again, but this time write it in crayon and don't use such big words?

You want me to write in crayon? On a computer?
Oh man, that's hilarious. That wit of yours is sharper than ever, Benny.
Crayon.
Classic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »
Article in GQ on Nick Saban.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/sports/201309/coach-nick-saban-alabama-maniac

Guy is about as real as a coach gets.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
You want me to write in crayon? On a computer?
Oh man, that's hilarious. That wit of yours is sharper than ever, Benny.
Crayon.
Classic.

Not nearly as sharp as your sarcasm is dull.  Unless you're being naive... in which case, I present crayon on a computer:

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if Alabama's the football version of Kentucky basketball. A lot of pay-to-play players. Too many top recruits going to one school.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if Alabama's the football version of Kentucky basketball. A lot of pay-to-play players. Too many top recruits going to one school.

Alabama has a history of that.  But Saban doesn't.  Pretty clean guy by college football standards.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »
Have no worries friends. The Aggies will decimate them when they come to College Station. Winner of that game essentially wins the SEC.

Lol.

Georgia might disagree with you.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »

Wow, coming from the sports editor no less.

Only my list of things to do in Tuscaloosa other than Alabama football, those were the only 2 things I could think of.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 12:04:20 AM »

Lol.

Georgia might disagree with you.

After that loss to Clemson do you still think they disagree?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »
Out of conference.  Doesn't matter.  Now this saturday at home vs SC is a different story.  And I hope my trip 'tween the hedges is a good one for UGA.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt