collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Global Dominance of ESPN  (Read 10770 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
The Global Dominance of ESPN
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »
Something new from The Atlantic.  Quick but interesting read on ESPN and "how they do it."
Does mention FS1 of course.

Why hasn’t anybody figured out how to beat "The Worldwide Leader in Sports"?

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/09/the-most-valuable-network/309433/

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: The Global Dominance of ESPN
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »
Something new from The Atlantic.  Quick but interesting read on ESPN and "how they do it."
Does mention FS1 of course.

Why hasn’t anybody figured out how to beat "The Worldwide Leader in Sports"?

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/09/the-most-valuable-network/309433/

Isn't the answer "no one else on cable has NFL games?"
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
Isn't the answer "no one else on cable has NFL games?"

Yeah....and college football, NBA, etc.

That is why NBCSN made such a poor decision spending little $$ and building around niche sports.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

That is why NBCSN made such a poor decision spending little $$ and building around niche sports.

I don't think there is any other way to start out since contracts are already in place, but seems like NBCSN made no effort to be a player when they became available.

I expect different from FS1 - niche programming for a couple years with boxing UFC, soccer etc. - but I expect them to be a player when major contracts come up, adding more college basketball and football, along with some NBA, MLB, and NFL action.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »

Apparently they wanted to follow the ESPN model from 25 years ago.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
Apparently they wanted to follow the ESPN model from 25 years ago.

No way is it similar - it was a whole different world back then. Major sports were the domain of the broadcast networks. ESPN changed the model and created a new one. FS1, at least for now will work within the model that ESPN created.

But it does look like FS1 is following in ESPN's footsteps. I mean how many times in one day can they mention a useless, talentless QB? (only difference is that it is Sanchez - not Tebow.) I guarantee that you will hear 25 mentions of Sanchez on FS1 for every mention of Rodgers or Brees.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »
I don't think there is any other way to start out since contracts are already in place, but seems like NBCSN made no effort to be a player when they became available.

Exactly.  They cheapened out on everything but the Olympics.  (Seriously...the Olympics???)

No way is it similar - it was a whole different world back then. Major sports were the domain of the broadcast networks. ESPN changed the model and created a new one. FS1, at least for now will work within the model that ESPN created.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:57 AM »

I expect different from FS1 - niche programming for a couple years with boxing UFC, soccer etc. - but I expect them to be a player when major contracts come up, adding more college basketball and football, along with some NBA, MLB, and NFL action.

Looks like Fox can't force the issue with FS1 and the NFL until 2023.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 07:27:50 AM »
Exactly.  They cheapened out on everything but the Olympics.  (Seriously...the Olympics???)

People dig the Olympics. Now all NBC has to do is, y'know, actually air things live...
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »
People dig the Olympics. Now all NBC has to do is, y'know, actually air things live...

They dig the Olympics...for two weeks every other year.  In 2011, they spent $4.3 billion to extend their coverage through 2020 - that covers four Olympiads or 8 weeks of programming.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 08:14:28 AM »

They dig the Olympics...for two weeks every other year.  In 2011, they spent $4.3 billion to extend their coverage through 2020 - that covers four Olympiads or 8 weeks of programming.
They'll easily make that back in advertising.  Olympics are big business.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
They'll easily make that back in advertising.  Olympics are big business.

They've lost money on most...until last year where they broke even or even made a little profit.

The point is however, if you are building a sports network, you can't do it around the Olympics and sports with a niche audience.  I love what they are doing with the EPL for instance, but I know that it has a limited viewership at this point.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:29 AM »

They've lost money on most...until last year where they broke even or even made a little profit.

The point is however, if you are building a sports network, you can't do it around the Olympics and sports with a niche audience.  I love what they are doing with the EPL for instance, but I know that it has a limited viewership at this point.
Not sure about the first...didn't bother to look it up.  Even if they did lose money, it does give them a platform to promote their networks/programming that's hard to beat.  If they could actually develop some decent programming it would help.

Agree wholeheartedly with your second point. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »

my favorite part of the olympics is when the ultimate beta-male Bob Costas belittles all of the small countries, and their native costumes, that he knows nothing about during the Opening Ceremonies.

Also when gymnasts cry.  And weightlifters snap their legs in half.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
NY Times story about all the money ESPN spends to influence politicians:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/sports/ncaafootball/to-defend-its-empire-espn-stays-on-offensive.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
NY Times story about all the money ESPN spends to influence politicians:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/sports/ncaafootball/to-defend-its-empire-espn-stays-on-offensive.html

Thanks for sharing, I didn't have time to get to the Times today so appreciate it.

They are not just trying to protect their revenue streams....I would argue they are much more concerned currently with protecting their ability to cover their liabilities down the road.  They have tremendous outlays in cost that are mind boggling, one of the reasons why they are in negotiations as we speak today to shed NASCAR a year earlier than anticipated.  This is also why they have no desire to go a la carte....they'll be happy to sell to Google, Intel, or whatever, but it will be at the same price they charge Dish, Time Warner, etc....actually, it will be at a higher rate because those outfits don't have scale. 

Their deal with DISH is up in 4 weeks.  A major major deal is up next year.  Interesting times, LOTS of $$$$$ at stake.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »

I think he was being sarcastic.

Correct
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
Not sure about the first...didn't bother to look it up.  Even if they did lose money, it does give them a platform to promote their networks/programming that's hard to beat.  If they could actually develop some decent programming it would help.

Agree wholeheartedly with your second point. 

The point is you can't build a brand around an event that takes place every two years.  Hell you might be out of business in two years.  They could have taken that money and invested it in sport with more consistent content model.

Look at NBC grabbing the Challenger series/America's Cup.  I LOVE America's Cup, I've seen Wind like a million times and I love the new coverage, but they are spending a ton of money on content that doesn't even happen regularly and 99.5% of American's couldn't explain the rules to.  Take that money and invest it in something else.  Besides for both the Olympics and America's Cup they were essentially competing against themselves.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »
Even if they did lose money, it does give them a platform to promote their networks/programming that's hard to beat. 

Correct. For instance, those two weeks every two years are an automatic victory for the Today Show over Good Morning America, which brings in more revenue. Beyond the two weeks, it has a residual impact as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
Beyond the two weeks, it has a residual impact as well.

Explain then why NBC has been the lowest rated major network for the past couple of years?  And right on the heels of the London Olympics, NBC put together likely its worst year in decades?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »

Explain then why NBC has been the lowest rated major network for the past couple of years?  And right on the heels of the London Olympics, NBC put together likely its worst year in decades?

Actually, NBC ratings surged post-Olympics last year to the point they were the top-rated network in the fall 2012 season.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/26/168059126/nbc-edges-out-rivals-in-fall-tv-ratings

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/20/nbc-wins-november-sweeps/

Having Sunday Night Football didn't hurt either, of course. Eventually they tapered off and finished (I believe) third, but the post-Olympic buzz can't expect to linger for months if the programming itself sucks. Still, third is their best showing in a while.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »
Actually, NBC ratings surged post-Olympics last year to the point they were the top-rated network in the fall 2012 season.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/26/168059126/nbc-edges-out-rivals-in-fall-tv-ratings

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/20/nbc-wins-november-sweeps/

Having Sunday Night Football didn't hurt either, of course. Eventually they tapered off and finished (I believe) third, but the post-Olympic buzz can't expect to linger for months if the programming itself sucks. Still, third is their best showing in a while.

OK, I know they ended the year last.  But you make some really good points.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »
The point is you can't build a brand around an event that takes place every two years.  Hell you might be out of business in two years.  They could have taken that money and invested it in sport with more consistent content model.

Look at NBC grabbing the Challenger series/America's Cup.  I LOVE America's Cup, I've seen Wind like a million times and I love the new coverage, but they are spending a ton of money on content that doesn't even happen regularly and 99.5% of American's couldn't explain the rules to.  Take that money and invest it in something else.  Besides for both the Olympics and America's Cup they were essentially competing against themselves.
I understand the point.  I said so in my post that you quoted.  

Also, for the Olympics they were not competing against themselves.  FOX and ABC/ESPN were also bidding.  

Also, have no idea what seeing wind is, but I've broken wind about a million times. :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:15:45 PM by ATL MU Warrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
I understand the point.  I said so in my post that you quoted.  

Also, for the Olympics they were not competing against themselves.  FOX and ABC/ESPN were also bidding.  

Also, have no idea what seeing wind is, but I've broken wind about a million times. :D

I don't have a chance to google search, but I believe there was an article detailing that Fox and ABC were somewhat red herrings and that NBC trumped their original bid with a higher bid because they got spooked about losing it.

So it seems like we're on the same page, the failure of NBC was not having the Olympics but not having any other content that was worth a damn, right?

Wind is a Matthew Modine sailing movie loosely(very) based on Dennis Conner's losing the America's Cup for the first time in 132 years and then reclaiming it in 1987.  And a million?  That's all?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
I don't have a chance to google search, but I believe there was an article detailing that Fox and ABC were somewhat red herrings and that NBC trumped their original bid with a higher bid because they got spooked about losing it.

So it seems like we're on the same page, the failure of NBC was not having the Olympics but not having any other content that was worth a damn, right?

Wind is a Matthew Modine sailing movie loosely(very) based on Dennis Conner's losing the America's Cup for the first time in 132 years and then reclaiming it in 1987.  And a million?  That's all?

That's about tennis, right?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 07:15:49 AM »

feedback