[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette 3rd Best Backcourt...  (Read 6149 times)

muarmy81

• All American

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: Marquette 3rd Best Backcourt...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »
Glad to see our backcourt getting the recognition it deserves. One might think that Luke Winn might be a little biased because he's a Wisconsin native. But nonetheless, it's great to see.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
I can't even SAY how much potential THIS backcourt has...call me crazy...but this is in the diener/wade backcourt tier..maybe better?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:10:24 PM »
I don't think it's better than Diener/Wade yet. The potential is there, but not yet.

I was just discussing the other day how easy Diener used to make a baseline layup look. He was almost as money with that as we was from the arc. I would love to see DJames hit the baseline and move laterally for some points rather than hitting the key head-on.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:19:42 PM »
I can't even SAY how much potential THIS backcourt has...call me crazy...but this is in the diener/wade backcourt tier..maybe better?

Potential-wise it's great.

But I have to give a huge HELL NO to that comparison.

What those two have done during their careers at MU as individuals and with the team - at this point - CANNOT be compared.

Now if the Three Amigos won a Title...;)

Still, in my book, they have had lackluster MU careers thus far.

Diener was a trooper and was almost always clutch; Wade had one of the best single seasons in MU HISTORY!
SS Marquette

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 12:23:15 AM »
Yeah, saying that the Three Amigos are as good as or better than Diener and Wade is borderline idiotic.....

Wade and Diener took MU to a Final Four.  The Three Amigos have yet to win a single NCAA tournament game.  Diener, if not injured, would have set the all-time scoring record at Marquette, and is, in my opinion, the best PG in school history.

Wade, well, he's Wade.

The Three Amigos, providing one can develop some semblance of a consistent jump shot(most likely Matthews), and play with overall consistency, have the potential to be better than Wade and Diener, but we will have to see.  For this season, if they reach that potential, we very well could be competing for the national title this year.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 07:32:12 AM »
In order to be competing for national titles we have to be able to play much better against zones and packed in man defenses. This means better trey shooting.

Assumming Acker is as good a trey shooter as advertised, IMO either he or Cubilan should be on the floor ALL the time, which mould mean that EITHER McNeal, DJ, or Mathews would have to be on the bunch at ALL times (including the starting lineup.

Having 3 guards on the floor at the same time none of whom can shoot treys invites effective packed in defenses.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:02:27 AM »
Going with three guards and having one of them being Acker or Cubillan leaves us a tremendous height disadvantage. I can't see that happening. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 08:07:36 AM »
Going with three guards and having one of them being Acker or Cubillan leaves us a tremendous height disadvantage. I can't see that happening. 

Depends on the style of play though.....if MU is trapping and running, it could work.  Especially with Cubillan, who proved to be a very good defender last season -- as well as an effective marksman.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 09:38:05 AM »
In order to be competing for national titles we have to be able to play much better against zones and packed in man defenses. This means better trey shooting.

Assumming Acker is as good a trey shooter as advertised, IMO either he or Cubilan should be on the floor ALL the time, which mould mean that EITHER McNeal, DJ, or Mathews would have to be on the bunch at ALL times (including the starting lineup.

Having 3 guards on the floor at the same time none of whom can shoot treys invites effective packed in defenses.

I do not think this is true.  I think it depends on the style of play in that certain game.  A lineup of James, McNeal, Matthews, Mabkwae (sp), and Barro is very athletic and quick.  If teams are playing man to man or a tight zone, this lineup will be very effective; especially on the break.  I agree that against sagged zone, one of our two best shooters (Cubillan or Fitzgerald) or possibly both need to be on the floor.  I am not sold on the shooting of Acker or Hayward until I see it.  Also, I think Matthews is still a pretty good shooter.  He had a pretty good percentage his Freshman year, but slumped quite a bit last year.  He has a nice stroke, so hopefully he can start drilling some shots again.  As for McNeal and James, I think most times when they take a 3 you just hope it hits the rim and one of our guards gets the long rebound ;D

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
I meant potential wise. Diener may have been the best PG in marquette history, and DWade is the best player to EVER wear a Marquette jersey, bar none. Period.

Just as far as potential...and there being 3 of these kids. That's all.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 03:43:22 PM »
definitely can't complain having only Memphis and Kansas as having better backcourts... those two teams are top 10 teams the past few years
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Pardner

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 04:00:31 PM »
definitely can't complain having only Memphis and Kansas as having better backcourts... those two teams are top 10 teams the past few years
Even better, higher rated than UCLA and UNC...and all those McD's HS All-Americans elsewhere.  You could even throw in Fitz and Lazar into the guard mix.  The group may not the best all-time at MU, but they are the deepest talent.  Gives TC a lot of combo choices for match-up situations.