[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brad Stevens to coach Celtics  (Read 39593 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Brad Stevens to coach Celtics
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
Rather than goin' one on one in the NBA, I think the 3 on 1 or 4 on 1 is the preferred method to attack the hole.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Not buying that Slick Rick has that great a rep. Yeah, he is a good coach, but his little dalliance at Porcini's doesn't help. Wonder if he learned that move while in the NBA?
I meant as a coach and recruiter. That's like saying Jordan doesn't have a great reputation because he was a gambler and an adulterer. Unfortunately, 99% of fans. media, and college basketball people couldn't care less about the incident. The only reason this board cares is because we were rivals and it was an easy target.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »
Rather than goin' one on one in the NBA, I think the 3 on 1 or 4 on 1 is the preferred method to attack the hole.

Well, don't forget to give credit to some of the great penetrators in NBA history. Looks like Calvin Murphy, "The Pocket Rocket," set the pace for scoring but Seattle's own "Reign Man" might actually have showered his love on more adoring fans if the rumors of his prowess are to be believed.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/06/big-poppa-the-athletes-with-the-most-children-by-the-most-women/calvin-murphy

Death on call

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
bingo
The other factor that plays in here is that Stevens leaves Butler without "stiffing" the Bulldogs by leaving for another school.  If the NBA does not pan out for him ( which is very possible/likely ), he can get that other high-high major college job  without leaving Butler feeling bad.  In the meantime, all the Celtics $$$$$$$$$$ will leave Brad and his family in financial heaven. So, he could be successful in the NBA or go back to the NCAA ala Pitino and not "stiff" Butler ( though they surely are very apprehensive about his departure ).  Not bad for a 36 year old guy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »
The other factor that plays in here is that Stevens leaves Butler without "stiffing" the Bulldogs by leaving for another school.  If the NBA does not pan out for him ( which is very possible/likely ), he can get that other high-high major college job  without leaving Butler feeling bad.  In the meantime, all the Celtics $$$$$$$$$$ will leave Brad and his family in financial heaven. So, he could be successful in the NBA or go back to the NCAA ala Pitino and not "stiff" Butler ( though they surely are very apprehensive about his departure ).  Not bad for a 36 year old guy.

The three coaches previous to Stevens, including the current athletic director, all "stiffed" Butler for other schools.  (Collier to Nebraska...Matta to Xavier...Licklighter to Iowa.)  I'm sure they are above "feeling bad" about such moves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
Not buying that Slick Rick has that great a rep. Yeah, he is a good coach, but his little dalliance at Porcini's doesn't help. Wonder if he learned that move while in the NBA?

You don't think Pitino has a great reputation?  You're nuts.

You may not like him, but recruits do...former players do...media does...other coaches seem to...

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »

The three coaches previous to Stevens, including the current athletic director, all "stiffed" Butler for other schools.  (Collier to Nebraska...Matta to Xavier...Licklighter to Iowa.)  I'm sure they are above "feeling bad" about such moves.
Not what I said.  Its about Stevens not feeling guilty about leaving.  If things go sour for him in the NBA (which they probably will), he can get that marquee college job without directly leaving Butler for that job.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »
Not what I said.  Its about Stevens not feeling guilty about leaving.  If things go sour for him in the NBA (which they probably will), he can get that marquee college job without directly leaving Butler for that job.

Actually that is pretty much exactly what you sad:

"The other factor that plays in here is that Stevens leaves Butler without "stiffing" the Bulldogs by leaving for another school.  If the NBA does not pan out for him ( which is very possible/likely ), he can get that other high-high major college job  without leaving Butler feeling bad."

Nowhere do I see anything from Steven's point of view, including any guilt that he might have.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
Actually that is pretty much exactly what you sad:

"The other factor that plays in here is that Stevens leaves Butler without "stiffing" the Bulldogs by leaving for another school.  If the NBA does not pan out for him ( which is very possible/likely ), he can get that other high-high major college job  without leaving Butler feeling bad."

Nowhere do I see anything from Steven's point of view, including any guilt that he might have.

Actually I said both.  But, what I was trying to say (poorly) is that the Boston job gave Stevens an easy (and very lucrative ) way out of Butler without any "guilt" or qualms on either side.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2013, 02:49:15 AM »
The other potential ripple effect from this is the solidification of VCU as the Big East's next addition. Arguably one of the best qualities of the BEast is the talented young coaches. Williams, Stevens, Wright, JT3, Mack, Lavin and to a less extent McDermott and Cooley are some of the biggest up and comers. They could easily be the next age of Pitinos, Boeheims, and Coach Ks. Stevens was arguably the biggest of those names. The BEast would be wise to replace Stevens with another dominant young coach....Enter Shaka Smart.

VCU and one other (c'mon Zags!) will be in the BEast next season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »
The other potential ripple effect from this is the solidification of VCU as the Big East's next addition. Arguably one of the best qualities of the BEast is the talented young coaches. Williams, Stevens, Wright, JT3, Mack, Lavin and to a less extent McDermott and Cooley are some of the biggest up and comers. They could easily be the next age of Pitinos, Boeheims, and Coach Ks. Stevens was arguably the biggest of those names. The BEast would be wise to replace Stevens with another dominant young coach....Enter Shaka Smart.

VCU and one other (c'mon Zags!) will be in the BEast next season

unlikely on Zags

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2013, 05:10:27 AM »
unlikely on Zags

Again with the hate...

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
Here's an article from the Fort Wayne paper (reprinted in SB Trib) on how the move to the BE will be good for recruiting for Butler.  Lots of quotes from Stevens.  Note the date of the article, July 3rd.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/basketball/article_c193a82c-e3c2-11e2-96be-001a4bcf6878.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »
Again with the hate...

No hate....distance reality. 

Honestly, I would be surprised on VCU as well, though much less so.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
For those outside the Indy area, this is a good read in the INDYSTAR today about Butler and Brad Stevens.

http://www.indystar.com/section/exclusive07

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
For those outside the Indy area, this is a good read in the INDYSTAR today about Butler and Brad Stevens.

http://www.indystar.com/section/exclusive07

Some grade A shark chum right there.

An excellen read to boot.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »
Some grade A shark chum right there.

An excellen read to boot.

Kinda like Crean on April Fools Day.

Stunned. Disbelief. Haziness and doubt about the program immediately afterward.

Glad Roosevelt wan't getting a tattoo of his coach.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »
Kinda like Crean on April Fools Day.

Stunned. Disbelief. Haziness and doubt about the program immediately afterward.

Glad Roosevelt wan't getting a tattoo of his coach.

Unlike Crean, Stevens respected his employer, colleagues, and players enough to extend the dignity of personally communicating the news. Fr. Wild is still waiting for Crean to meet with him, much less pick up the phone.

Meanwhile, Crean has the nerve to attack Jeff Meyer publicly for imagined slights. Perhaps The Bronzed Beast should consider his own character flaws before he begins flinging turds.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
Unlike Crean, Stevens respected his employer, colleagues, and players enough to extend the dignity of personally communicating the news. Fr. Wild is still waiting for Crean to meet with him, much less pick up the phone.

Meanwhile, Crean has the nerve to attack Jeff Meyer publicly for imagined slights. Perhaps The Bronzed Beast should consider his own character flaws before he begins flinging turds.

Actually if you read what Father Wild said they talked.  No one liked how it went down, including Father Wild (nor should he be happy about it), but they most certainly talked.  A couple of articles in the JS that indicate it quite clearly.  (....awaiting the WHY DO YOU DEFEND HIM brigade.....just providing the facts)

"We talked," Wild said. "He had given us nine great years, and there was no great basis for being upset. At some point he had to make a career decision.

"But the how of it, how he basically didn't talk to anybody, that was a problem," Wild added. "And I said that clearly. The end game was definitely not the way to do things. And I must say, it was not characteristic of the man as I dealt with him over the years."

Crean has expressed regret how word leaked out that he was leaving."

Jeff Meyer is a douche, so is TC.  They deserve each other.

feedback