[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buycks - MVP France  (Read 8885 times)

MU72491

• Starter
Buycks - MVP France
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »
Words can't even explain how I feel right now!! Man MVP OF THE YEAR IN FRANCE!!!! WOW BUYCKS.. All that hardwork and just stayin humble has payed off!! Man I'm so proud of myself and my crew, my lovely honey!! And everyone that has supported me!!! "The King Of France" so thankful!!!

Sounds like he is doing well for himself
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:21:32 AM by mu_hilltopper »

RideMyBuycks

• All American
Re: Bykes Facebook status
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
Damn straight

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
That's great to hear and congrats to Dwight!  By the way, you really butchered his last name and it's even in the facebook status you posted haha.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »
That is awesome - good for Dwight!

MU72491

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
@ I don't care
I'm not a good speller at all but just thought it was cool he is doing so well

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
Words can't even explain how I feel right now!! Man MVP OF THE YEAR IN FRANCE!!!! WOW BUYCKS.. All that hardwork and just stayin humble has payed off!! Man I'm so proud of myself and my crew, my lovely honey!! And everyone that has supported me!!! "The King Of France" so thankful!!!

Sounds like he is doing well for himself
That's awesome. Though I'm questioning the humble label in light of the rest of the message.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:02:24 PM »
Some stats: http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Dwight_Buycks/BCM_Gravelines_Dunkerque_Grand_Littoral/151155

Also a couple cool Twitpics with his French league stats and with the trophy

A couple of the French tweets suggesting he's a certainty for the NBA...given the reputation of French ball, you'd think the MVP of the league will at least get an NBA camp invite.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
Some stats: http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Dwight_Buycks/BCM_Gravelines_Dunkerque_Grand_Littoral/151155

Also a couple cool Twitpics with his French league stats and with the trophy

A couple of the French tweets suggesting he's a certainty for the NBA...given the reputation of French ball, you'd think the MVP of the league will at least get an NBA camp invite.

I would hope so, I remember thinking he was close to making a team after his solid summer league performance last year, before all of this happened.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
Is that a French haircut?

Glad he's doing so well!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:25:10 AM »

He plays in the proA league in France, the country's top league.  However, it is ranked as the 7th best league outside the United States.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1291287-power-ranking-the-best-basketball-leagues-in-the-world-outside-of-the-nba/page/6

The first division of French hoops has sent its fair share of talent to the NBA in the last decade or so. Tony Parker is the best and most decorated player from the home nation of Les Bleus—and even has an ownership stake in Lyon-Villeurbanne—but is hardly the only player of note to hail from north of the Alps.

Among active players, he's joined by Batum, Mickael Pietrus, Kevin Seraphin, Ian Mahinmi, Johan Petro, Boris Diaw and soon-to-be-rookies Nando de Colo and Evan Fournier.

As for famous retired alumni, Michael Ray Richardson and JR Reid both spent time in the French Pro A League after making their way around the U.S., while Bruce Bowen honed his craft in France before becoming a regular on the All-Defensive list in the NBA.

To date, though, only one team from French Pro A—Limoges—has managed to win the vaunted Euroleague title.

------------

It's a decent league but not a top league.  Probably has less talent than NCAA D1 ball.

More likely he gets invited to a better euro league.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
He plays in the proA league in France, the country's top league.  However, it is ranked as the 7th best league outside the United States.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1291287-power-ranking-the-best-basketball-leagues-in-the-world-outside-of-the-nba/page/6

The first division of French hoops has sent its fair share of talent to the NBA in the last decade or so. Tony Parker is the best and most decorated player from the home nation of Les Bleus—and even has an ownership stake in Lyon-Villeurbanne—but is hardly the only player of note to hail from north of the Alps.

Among active players, he's joined by Batum, Mickael Pietrus, Kevin Seraphin, Ian Mahinmi, Johan Petro, Boris Diaw and soon-to-be-rookies Nando de Colo and Evan Fournier.

As for famous retired alumni, Michael Ray Richardson and JR Reid both spent time in the French Pro A League after making their way around the U.S., while Bruce Bowen honed his craft in France before becoming a regular on the All-Defensive list in the NBA.

To date, though, only one team from French Pro A—Limoges—has managed to win the vaunted Euroleague title.

------------

It's a decent league but not a top league.  Probably has less talent than NCAA D1 ball.

1st mistake: Posting/linking/relying on anything by bleacher report. Starve the beast and God willing it will die.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 09:01:11 AM »
I get that, but in this case it is largely accurate.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
Good for Dwight. Whenever I hear his name, I can't help but think of him making the final seconds lay-up attempt at Louisville hoping for a foul. All he had to do was hold the damn ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
1st mistake: Posting/linking/relying on anything by bleacher report. Starve the beast and God willing it will die.

No chance now that it has financial backing from CNN.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »

------------

The D-League is quickly becoming what the NBA execs envisioned it would evolve into when they first introduced it. Prior to the d-league, a lot of the 10-day contract players would come from European leagues. Now, there are growing leagues in China, Russia and Australia. Europe has taken a hit. The NBA call-ups largely come from the d-league. Players now know that if they want a chance at the NBA, they have to play in the developmental league instead of international leagues. There is way more talent in the d-league than abroad. In fact, it certainly seems as though U.S. college players that have given up hope in playing in the NBA are all now in international leagues making better money than their d-league counterparts. I know there are exceptions but d-league is WAY better than it has ever been and seems to get stronger and stronger every year. Plus, the d-league has signed some media rights deals and its actually growing in popularity a bit (at least compared to when it was first created).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
The D-League is quickly becoming what the NBA execs envisioned it would evolve into when they first introduced it. Prior to the d-league, a lot of the 10-day contract players would come from European leagues. Now, there are growing leagues in China, Russia and Australia. Europe has taken a hit. The NBA call-ups largely come from the d-league. Players now know that if they want a chance at the NBA, they have to play in the developmental league instead of international leagues. There is way more talent in the d-league than abroad. In fact, it certainly seems as though U.S. college players that have given up hope in playing in the NBA are all now in international leagues making better money than their d-league counterparts. I know there are exceptions but d-league is WAY better than it has ever been and seems to get stronger and stronger every year. Plus, the d-league has signed some media rights deals and its actually growing in popularity a bit (at least compared to when it was first created).

+1

Average pay for NBDL players is 24k .. But the path to the association is clear.

Buycks is probably making 80 to 100 in France.  More money but he is giving up a path to the association.

So which is more important, money now (Europe) or less money and NBA dreams (the developmental league).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Buycks - MVP France
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
The NBADL is just the Rucker Park version of the League.
Euro may not be pretty at times but National players can be found on their rosters.
Ad the passing game is much more beautiful a la soccer.

Good for Buycks, a not-so highly regarded kid from the Mil.
Repping Milwaukee basketball wonderfully.
SS Marquette

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
Not sure if anybody saw some-odd months ago, but Buycks was also MVP of the French all-star game.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
Not sure if anybody saw some-odd months ago, but Buycks was also MVP of the French all-star game.

Would be awesome to see him on an NBA roster at some point.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »

If he doesn't make the NBA, I'd like to who's coming out of the French league next season.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 07:04:34 PM »
If he doesn't make the NBA, I'd like to who's coming out of the French league next season.

Young French players, not a 25 year old Americans.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
Tony Miller played for something like 13 years in Europe.  If Buycks never makes the NBA, but duplicates this, basketball has taken him very far.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there any endorsement money to be made as a top player in the French A-league?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »
Tony Miller played for something like 13 years in Europe.  If Buycks never makes the NBA, but duplicates this, basketball has taken him very far.

Joe Chapman played several years in the UK, and still might be playing.  Amal McCaskill played something like 20 years overseas, heck he might be still playing!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
Out of curiosity, is there any endorsement money to be made as a top player in the French A-league?

Good point. I'm sure there is. If he's doubling his salary in endorsements risking a jump to the NBA might not even be worth it

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
Good point. I'm sure there is. If he's doubling his salary in endorsements risking a jump to the NBA might not even be worth it

does Buycks speak French?  if he does is his accent so thick that  a Frenchman cannot understand him?

Unless he can clearly speak French,  assume endorsements are zero.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
does Buycks speak French?  if he does is his accent so thick that  a Frenchman cannot understand him?

Sooo..... he's incapable of posing for a billboard or magazine ad because he might not speak the native tongue?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »
does Buycks speak French?  if he does is his accent so thick that  a Frenchman cannot understand him?

Unless he can clearly speak French,  assume endorsements are zero.

Ichiro and Yao Ming say "herro".

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »

Clownish.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
I wonder if Vander will be able to wrest the French League MVP away from Buycks next season!

(Just being a wise-arse.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
Sooo..... he's incapable of posing for a billboard or magazine ad because he might not speak the native tongue?

Send me a link to these billboards and magazine ads.  The answer is zero and will stay zero until he can speak the language of the country.  In fact, send me a link to someone endorsing anything in the US in English where the endorser does not speak English (Icharo and Yao do speak English but make most of their money in endorsements in their home country in their native tongue).

When Lance Armstrong was winning the Tour (1999 to 2001), which is a hell of a lot more popular than French ProA Bball, he was not getting endorsements in France until he learned to speak French (and yes he did by 2002).

So go ahead and be naive and think that not knowing French when living in France will not stop you from "doubling your salary" in endorsements as one clueless poster suggested above.  Those that think this is clownish must have never been to France as they do not understand how important the French language is to them.

Added ....

Before Buycks gets an endorsement deal, he needs to learn to read his Wiki page

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Buycks

and the article about his MVP

http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/livenews/pro-a-dwight-buycks-mvp-etranger/2013/

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:16:49 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »
Send me a link to these billboards and magazine ads.  The answer is zero and will stay zero until he can speak the language of the country.  In fact, send me a link to someone endorsing anything in the US in English where the endorser does not speak English (Icharo and Yao do speak English but make most of their money in endorsements in their home country in their native tongue).

When Lance Armstrong was winning the Tour (1999 to 2001), which is a hell of a lot more popular than French ProA Bball, he was not getting endorsements in France until he learned to speak French (and yes he did by 2002).

So go ahead and be naive and think that not knowing French when living in France will not stop you from "doubling your salary" in endorsements as one clueless poster suggested above.  Those that think this is clownish must have never been to France as they do not understand how important the French language is to them.

Added ....

Before Buycks gets an endorsement deal, he needs to learn to read his Wiki page

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Buycks

and the article about his MVP

http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/livenews/pro-a-dwight-buycks-mvp-etranger/2013/

Still clownish.

joe pop

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 04:26:23 PM »
D Buckets!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
Still clownish.

No...he's right.

And being the basketball MVP in France is roughly akin to being the MLS MVP here.  So how many billboards have you seen around here with Chris Wondolowski on them?  (And yes...I had to look that up.)

He isn't coming close to doubling his salary in endorsement deals.  I would be surprised if he is making 10% of his salary in endorsements.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »

No...he's right.

And being the basketball MVP in France is roughly akin to being the MLS MVP here.  So how many billboards have you seen around here with Chris Wondolowski on them?  (And yes...I had to look that up.)

He isn't coming close to doubling his salary in endorsement deals.  I would be surprised if he is making 10% of his salary in endorsements.

But whether Chris Wondolowski is American or Polish and doesn't know any English doesn't change that, just like with Buycks being on year-to-year deals in an unmarketable sport in France, whether or not il parle français.  Yao had endorsements from Apple, Reebok, and Visa when he still had a translator attached to his hip because he was a #1 overall pick and a huge 7'5" Asian dude in a major American sport.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »
But whether Chris Wondolowski is American or Polish and doesn't know any English doesn't change that, just like with Buycks being on year-to-year deals in an unmarketable sport in France, whether or not il parle français.  Yao had endorsements from Apple, Reebok, and Visa when he still had a translator attached to his hip because he was a #1 overall pick and a huge 7'5" Asian dude in a major American sport.
Yao had endorsements becuase he was from China, a vast and almost completely untapped market with practically unlimited potential for marketers. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:50 PM »
The point here is Buycks is getting little to nothing in endorsements.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »

No...he's right.

Clownish refers nothing to his content.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »
Clownish refers nothing to his content.

Oh....then take it to PM.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
Oh....then take it to PM.

GA ... you need to PM me and explain because I have no idea what you're referring to.

feedback