Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyshawn Taylor  (Read 5898 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
Tyshawn Taylor
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
Tyshawn Taylor, a 6-foot-3 senior point guard from St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J., told Rivals.com on Thursday he had set visits to Virginia Tech (Sept. 28), Marquette (Oct. 12) and Virginia (Oct. 19).

He likely will make his official visit to Kansas the last weekend of October and also likely will visit Georgia Tech on a yet-to-be-determined date.

Wow!! there is going to be some real talent in the Al for Marquette Madness, my hope is he is a plan B for Iman,  we are not really in the position to sign 3 more guards.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:51:29 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Tyshawn Taylor
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »
It's great you copied it from the Rivals site but really no need for the shot across the bow. jmo.

So, Crean will have his #1 and #2 PG targets on campus at the same time?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:47:36 PM by Coobeys Oil Depot »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »
its great to see that MU will get a visit from Taylor ..... nice find, harrison

last month, this kid seemed to be blown away by the interest KU had in him.......glad he's still on the board
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:46:57 PM by NYWarrior »

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »
Actually got it from the Lawrence (KS) Journal.

No shot intended, simply making an observation. According to certain pay sites he visited last week, maybe it was his twin or maybe MU is commiting recruiting violations by bringing kids for multiple officials?

And yes it would appear MU is bringing the #1 and #2 PG options along with a number of options at the SF, PF, and C spot.  It appears Crittle will make an officail that weekend too.

Great job by Crean.  Wonder if he will sit them all in a room and say "Guys, I got 1 spot for a guard and 2 spots for 3's thru 5's.  We are going to be Top 10 and competing for a National title this year and next year, when you are Freshman.  This group can be a part of that and help continue it.  Who's in?"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 05:02:38 PM »
I thought Inman was a 2g. If Taylor is good enough to be recruited by Kansas, than I think we want him no matter what. I assume Crean is planning that James will be gone next year. You also have to wonder if Culliban or Christopherson would stay around if they were over recruited. While I realize we have basically no centers on next years team, I would still be in favor of signing both Inman and Taylor. While I do not think they are good enough, you never know if McNeal or Matthews would try to go pro.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 05:12:56 PM »
I dont disagree about the supposed talents fo Taylor but do not forget we already have Williams coming in to.  While that roster might be incredibly talented, a roster of basically 10 gurds and 2 bigs might not win to mnay games and might causes some of those guards to leave.  Also as good as he may be we are also recruiting some damn highly rated bigs who are being recruited very highly as well.  If Crean signs more than 2 gurds in thsi class I will be very disaapointed.  We were top 5 last year with another good big. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 12:25:11 AM »
Marquette is recruiting only one highly rated center. The other two centers (Sutton and the one from St. Louis)are projects. I believe Crean will try to sign 4 players. Ben-eze, Inman, Taylor and Williams would be a great class. The other 2 highlly rated players Goulborne is a small forward and Jones is a 2/3., which are the same position as Williams. Crittle at 6'8" would be small for a center and may be off the table soon. While I do not know, it always seemed to me that he was plan B. The trouble is that plan A's are taking so long to decide that plan B's are liable to be gone before they decide. I am guessing that Sutton is plan B and the St Louis center is plan C. Given how long the big names are taking to decide this will either be Crean's best class or a big disappointment.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 03:26:29 AM »
Marquette is recruiting only one highly rated center. The other two centers (Sutton and the one from St. Louis)are projects.

Both Scout and Rivals have Ben-Eze and Sutton rated essentially the same.  Scout has Ben-Eze as the #26 Center and 3 Stars, and Sutton as the #30 center and 3 Stars.  Rivals has both as 3 Stars and neither are in the Rivals Top 150.  Scout and Rivals also have Stutz as 3 Stars FWIW.  Also, MU is in on Edgar Garibay, he's ranked right between Ben-Eze and Sutton on Scout, #28 Center, 3 Stars.  Also 3 stars on Rivals...but he doesn't have an offer yet.

The other 2 highlly rated players Goulborne is a small forward and Jones is a 2/3., which are the same position as Williams.

MU is on other highly rated Small Forwards.  Jared Swophsire is a 4 Star guy, higher rated than Guilborne, and he's coming in for an official visit in October.  Renaldo Woolridge, also a 4 star recruit is supposed to be coming in for an official visit(Rosiak mentioned it awhile back).

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:29:28 AM »
I thought Inman was a 2g. If Taylor is good enough to be recruited by Kansas, than I think we want him no matter what. I assume Crean is planning that James will be gone next year. You also have to wonder if Culliban or Christopherson would stay around if they were over recruited. While I realize we have basically no centers on next years team, I would still be in favor of signing both Inman and Taylor. While I do not think they are good enough, you never know if McNeal or Matthews would try to go pro.

Shumpert has been quoted that he is being recruited as a pg.

You are already suggesting recruiting over Christopherson?

Aren't there only 3 scholarships available for the 2008 class?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 09:41:45 AM »
There are only 3 scholies at this point.  I think the poster is assuming DJ will be gone which is a good possibility as he apparently is in position to graduate in 3 years ( and move on to the NBA or overseas).

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 02:30:02 PM »
There are only 3 scholies at this point.  I think the poster is assuming DJ will be gone which is a good possibility as he apparently is in position to graduate in 3 years ( and move on to the NBA or overseas).

If 4 are signed in fall and James does not leave now what? Another fabricated story the following year similar to Saunder's?

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

If 4 are signed in fall and James does not leave now what? Another fabricated story the following year similar to Saunder's?

Well, with the Saunders the story wasn't fabricated since it wasn't made up. It actually happened.

As for next April, I'd assume a departure one way or the other.

4everwarriors

• All American
Yep,
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 06:19:25 AM »
someone will see to that.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 07:55:53 AM »
I sincerely hope we're not making any plans that involve the assumption that James will be in the NBA.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 01:00:37 PM »
I sincerely hope we're not making any plans that involve the assumption that James will be in the NBA.

Yeah.  And we all know who's voice will be the loudest about what a lousy coach Crean is if James does go to the NBA and we have a hole in the lineup.

Yet, that seems to be what you're advocating now--Crean shouldn't make any contingencies, simply assume the best and only worry about what might happen in the future only if James actually does leave.

I don't know whether you really think a similar quality PG will be available next May, or (more likely) you are simply hoping that Crean is set up for the fall.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »
My point is not about having a hole in the lineup...it's about over booking scholarships. I don't know what you want in a program, but I don't want my school offering people scholarships and than reneging on the offer.

And, despite his record of showing up with teams completely unprepared to play in the post season (see Tulsa, Holy Cross, Kansas, Alabama, MSU, Western Michigan), I don't think Crean is a particularly "lousy coach." I just think he's a complete tool.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »
My point is not about having a hole in the lineup...it's about over booking scholarships. I don't know what you want in a program, but I don't want my school offering people scholarships and than reneging on the offer.

And, despite his record of showing up with teams completely unprepared to play in the post season (see Tulsa, Holy Cross, Kansas, Alabama, MSU, Western Michigan), I don't think Crean is a particularly "lousy coach." I just think he's a complete tool.

Again, I think you're blinded a bit here. There is a difference between being smoked and just losing a game. There is also a difference between losing at full strength and losing when not  healthy.

You're throwing a lot of lobsters into the pot that aren't the same and blaming the cook for when it doesn't taste any good.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 05:45:51 PM by Coobeys Oil Depot »

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 03:37:33 PM »

Yeah.  And we all know who's voice will be the loudest about what a lousy coach Crean is if James does go to the NBA and we have a hole in the lineup.

Yet, that seems to be what you're advocating now--Crean shouldn't make any contingencies, simply assume the best and only worry about what might happen in the future only if James actually does leave.

I don't know whether you really think a similar quality PG will be available next May, or (more likely) you are simply hoping that Crean is set up for the fall.

All the signed recruits will need contingencies if James does not leave.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 05:44:52 PM »
double.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 06:34:32 PM »
PRN ripping on Crean.....yawn....what's new?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 09:08:53 PM »
Crean knows what James and the other players' plans are. James would be in the pros today, if he did not get a big head after his great play in November. He thought he had it made, stopped working hard, and he paid the price. I believe he has learned his lesson and will play much differently this year.

As far as tournament games MU had no NCAA tournament experience when it played Tulsa. Generally, players who have not played in the tournament before do not understand the intensity. On the last play of the game Cordel Henry, a senior, panic and Diener, a freshmen, ended up throwing up a 25 footer at the buzzer which bounced off of Harris head out of bounds. We beat Holy Cross. Kansas was simply more talented then us and MU problaby came in with a big head after they demolished Kentucky. Kentucky was a soft team with a big head and Kansas was very physical and came to play with players that had been to the final four before. Against Western Michigan we were actually missing two starters. Everybody remembers Diener being injured but we actually were also missing Chris Grimm with an injury to his elbow. Nobody appreciated him, but he was a tough hard nose defensive player, who could have significantly helped in stopping Western Michigan's bigmen who ate us alive on the inside. At the end of the year Michigan St. was a very good team. I believe they beat Wisconsin twice at the end of the year. I do not think we could have beat them even if we had McNeal. However, I do think Crean makes a mistake keeping players in the dog house. Dameon Mason was in the doghouse and I do not think he even started against Western Michigan.  Amoroso did not even make the trip to play Alabama. Trend was not allowed to play against Michigan St. I do not think Trend would have been much help against Michigan St., but it is not smart to not be able to use all of your players in the NCAA tournament. McGuire knew how to discipline players without hurting the team. Crean does not know how to do this and I see that as a weakness. The other thing he does that I believe is a mistake is that he goes conservative in March. This causes his players to play tight and resulted in slow starts against Alabama and Michigan St. Once he turned his players loose they had a great rally aginst Alabama in the second half. I think they came from 17 down to take the lead. As soon as they got the lead he slowed them down again and Alabama won the game. They could have won the game at the end, but Novak missed a wide open shot so bad, that MU did not even get a chance at a tip in. That you can't blame on Crean for that shot. Same tightness occurred aginst Michigan St., which resulted in a 0-20 start. MU was making a nice comeback behind Culliban's three point shooting and then Culliban throws up a thirty footer on a fast break. It was perhaps the worst shot I have ever seen an MU player take in my fourty years of watching games. Crean took him out, which was the right thing to do, but he did not put him back in, which was the wrong thing to do. He was now in the doghouse. He should have gone back in after a 30 second tongue lashing. I compare Crean to Jim Bohein and Lute Olsen, who for many years had early exits in the NCAA tournament losing to lesser teams. They both eventually ended up winning titles and over time I think Crean will also become a better tournament coach. Crean is still a relatively young coach, who does make mistakes. But I do not believe you find a better coach for Marquette if he left. If you are an MU fan you should be looking at the positives instead of looking for every negative. Crean took over a team that was 14-15 the year before and only had one incoming recruit who did not have the talent to be at MU. He took MU to a final 4 and more importantly to the Big East. I still think he is going to take MU to higher levels. He is not perfect, but he is our coach and he and MU are a very good match. Finally, Crean learned what a mistake it was to have only three guards on a team. It will be interesting to watch Wisconsin this year as they really only have three guards. If one of them goes down with an injury, they will turn into a poor team like MU did when Diener went down. You cannot win without guards.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 07:11:26 AM »

We know you think he is a tool... and I appreciate the full disclosure so at least we can take that into consideration.

Now, as I've said in the past, if you are going to hold the coach solely accountable for every loss or everything that you don't like about the program (press conferences, radio interviews, recruiting, schedule, gold t-shirts, losses)... you need to give him full credit for all of the good things he has done and big wins he has had.

While I will agree that sometimes Coach can come off a little bit "salesmen like", I also have to admit that his overall track record at MU is pretty damn good. (wins at the GAS x2, wins at the coaches vs cancer thing last year, beat cinci for the conf. title, beat mizzou, PITT, and UK on the way to the final 4, recruited 3 NBA players, help launch team into the big east, helped get the AL built, donated money to the new soccer stadium, does a great job with Al's run etc. etc.)

There isn't a problem with you blaming the coach for everything that goes wrong... but then you have to give him FULL CREDIT when things go right.

If you don't, well, then you just appear like a dude who hates Crean (for some reason) and your opinions just appear way too slanted.

Crean is not perfect, nor is he above criticism, but your dislike of him personally clouds your judgment of what he has accomplished.

feedback