Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JASON KING ON MARQ OFFSEASON  (Read 5572 times)

CAGASS24

• All American
JASON KING ON MARQ OFFSEASON
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
"Biggest losers in offseason, thus far"

Marquette's momentum

I thought Buzz Williams deserved national coach of the year honors for leading a rather unheralded group of players to a share of the Big East title and the Elite Eight last season. With nearly all of the key pieces from that unit set to return and a recruiting class ranked No. 11 in the country, Marquette seemed like a shoo-in for the 2013-14 preseason top 10. Not anymore.

The baffling decision of leading scorer Vander Blue to enter the NBA draft is a huge blow to the Golden Eagles, who were counting on him to be the focal point of their offense once again. Six-foot-4 Blue improved dramatically last season, averaging 14.8 points, but he shot just 29 percent from 3-point range. His name doesn't even appear in most mock drafts. Blue could've been a star as a senior and maybe even led Marquette to a Final Four. Instead, he made what appears to be an ill-advised decision to leave school early. Both sides could end up suffering from his departure, although Marquette should still be very, very good.

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: JASON KING ON MARQ OFFSEASON
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
That's pretty much how I would've written it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
That's pretty much how I would've written it.

+1... Nothin' but facts.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
Sounds about right.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »
I hope Vander is making the decision to declare based on the fact that he is most likely going to be playing in the D league or playing in Europe.  If he's fine with that and just wants to get paid to play ball then he made the right chocie.  But if he honestly thinks he's going to stick on an NBA roster I think he's in for a rude awakening and has made a terrible, terrible mistake.  Hope he can make it but I don't see it happening.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »
I hope Vander is making the decision to declare based on the fact that he is most likely going to be playing in the D league or playing in Europe.  If he's fine with that and just wants to get paid to play ball then he made the right chocie.  But if he honestly thinks he's going to stick on an NBA roster I think he's in for a rude awakening and has made a terrible, terrible mistake.  Hope he can make it but I don't see it happening.

All conjecture regarding Vander's NBA potential (or lack thereof) aside, there's no chance that's his mindset.  While he may be ill-advised, he's not an idiot - he's thinking first round at best, but regardless, an NBA contract.  He isn't declaring under the impression that he'll be in Europe come November.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »

There are really only two ways that that would be feasible.

1) Vander's family is in a situation where they need money and need it now. Obviously, I really hope that's not the case.

2) Blue planned on leaving early for the last couple months of school, totally blew off his classes knowing he wouldn't be eligible next season and really had no choice. Obviously, I hope that's not the case either.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
I know that as fans, especially on these boards, we are at liberty to conjecture and play "what if". In the case of Vander's decision, though, I think we should all be like PGA tour caddies.
Vander has made his club selection, and even if we disagree with it, it's time to say, "absolutely right - spot on. Put it right next to the pin."

Thank the man for his three years of effort and contributions to seven NCAA tournament victories, and wish him well in the NBA.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
If the newcomers live up to the hype, MU will have another great year.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »
Can't argue with a word of it.

TheDOC816

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
I know that as fans, especially on these boards, we are at liberty to conjecture and play "what if". In the case of Vander's decision, though, I think we should all be like PGA tour caddies.
Vander has made his club selection, and even if we disagree with it, it's time to say, "absolutely right - spot on. Put it right next to the pin."

Thank the man for his three years of effort and contributions to seven NCAA tournament victories, and wish him well in the NBA.

The difference between the caddie scenario is that the golfer holds his destiny in his own hands.  Vander needs a team to draft him or at least someon to give him a shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
All conjecture regarding Vander's NBA potential (or lack thereof) aside, there's no chance that's his mindset.  While he may be ill-advised, he's not an idiot - he's thinking first round at best, but regardless, an NBA contract.  He isn't declaring under the impression that he'll be in Europe come November.

Agree wholeheartedly. Athletes who have experienced success -- and I definitely put Vander in that class -- don't go into this kind of situation thinking about failure. Vander absolutely believes he's an NBA player. It's the same confidence that let him tell Buzz and his teammates: "Climb aboard, I'm beating ----- (insert St. John's, Davidson and Butler here)."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  If he has a good showing at the combine, plays tough defense, and can make some jumpers, look for him to get drafted.  Remember that he is only 20 years old with an NBA body and athletic ability.  He has a ton of upside, and I believe an NBA GM will recognize that and take him. 

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about that.  If he has a good showing at the combine, plays tough defense, and can make some jumpers, look for him to get drafted.  Remember that he is only 20 years old with an NBA body and athletic ability.  He has a ton of upside, and I believe an NBA GM will recognize that and take him. 

I'm not saying he won't get drafted.  He'll get drafted, but as many have stated it's a difficult road as a second round pick.  I just dont think Vander is ready to be a 2-guard in the NBA.  In the future, maybe, but not next year.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »
Look, I hope he is drafted and does well. It reflects well on him and on Marquette. Another pro won't hurt our recruiting in the least.

All I can say is, "Thanks Vander." Wish you were staying but I understand dreams well.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »
There are really only two ways that that would be feasible.

1) Vander's family is in a situation where they need money and need it now. Obviously, I really hope that's not the case.

2) Blue planned on leaving early for the last couple months of school, totally blew off his classes knowing he wouldn't be eligible next season and really had no choice. Obviously, I hope that's not the case either.

I've been thinking for a while it had to be one of these two options. Nothing else makes sense at this point. And if that's the case, you wish him best of luck and move on...

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
You guys are being straight up ignorant.

You really don't think he actually has confidence in himself and thinks that he is good enough to make it in the NBA?  I think you are completely wrong in both the money and class accusations.  

Those are the only 2 options you consider?  GFY

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »

Wise words, coming from a man named bafrolomew no less.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
You guys are being straight up ignorant.

You really don't think he actually has confidence in himself and thinks that he is good enough to make it in the NBA?  I think you are completely wrong in both the money and class accusations.  

Those are the only 2 options you consider?  GFY

Thats really the problem though.  Confidence will get you nowhere when it isn't quantifiable.  NBA scouts aren't going to draft players based on their confidence in their ability to play basketball.  

I'm not agreeing with these guys that those are the only two options, but what do you propose?  

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »

I'm not saying he won't get drafted.  He'll get drafted, but as many have stated it's a difficult road as a second round pick.  I just dont think Vander is ready to be a 2-guard in the NBA.  In the future, maybe, but not next year.

Of course he isn't ready.  Most rookies aren't ready to play right a way in the NBA.  Teams these days pick on potential, and Vander has plenty of it.  I don't think anyone is expecting Vander to make the jump to the NBA and be contributor right off the bat, but I think there are teams out there that would be willing to take Vander as a 2 year project hoping that he could develop into a solid 2 guard. An NBA career for him is not out of the question.  He has all the physical tools, and he has shown tons of improvement in his shooting, no reason to think he can't get better. Good luck to Vander I will be rooting for him on draft night

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
You really don't think he actually has confidence in himself and thinks that he is good enough to make it in the NBA?

If Vander has anything in this world, it's confidence in himself.  An abundance.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
Of course he isn't ready.  Most rookies aren't ready to play right a way in the NBA.  Teams these days pick on potential, and Vander has plenty of it.  I don't think anyone is expecting Vander to make the jump to the NBA and be contributor right off the bat, but I think there are teams out there that would be willing to take Vander as a 2 year project hoping that he could develop into a solid 2 guard. An NBA career for him is not out of the question.  He has all the physical tools, and he has shown tons of improvement in his shooting, no reason to think he can't get better. Good luck to Vander I will be rooting for him on draft night

And that's why I said he should be prepared to go to the D-league/ Europe.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
If Vander has anything in this world, it's confidence in himself.  An abundance.

Understatement.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »
And that's why I said he should be prepared to go to the D-league/ Europe.

Just because you aren't ready doesn't mean you are automatically going to the D-league or Europe right away.  Teams keep players on their roster as projects, and develop them, especially young players with a lot of upside like Vander. I just don't see how you can totally write him off on making a roster.  I'm just saying, he COULD do it. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Just because you aren't ready doesn't mean you are automatically going to the D-league or Europe right away.  Teams keep players on their roster as projects, and develop them, especially young players with a lot of upside like Vander. I just don't see how you can totally write him off on making a roster.  I'm just saying, he COULD do it. 

Seems like NBA teams are more willing to work with projects who happen to be 7 feet tall. 6'3" SGs not so much.

feedback