[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rumors: Jamil Wilson heavily considering entering NBA draft  (Read 8333 times)

wrk5923

• Walk-On
Rumors: Jamil Wilson heavily considering entering NBA draft
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
My source seemed to prove right before, and now again I am hearing rumors of Jamil Wilson considering foregoing his senior year to enter the NBA draft. These rumors are coming straight out of the Al.

As we all know, Jamil asked for his NBA evaluation. That's nothing big, as player can ask at any time, but it's still something.

The rumors don't seem to be as strong as the were with Vander, but they are there, and to me, they are even more frightening than the Vander rumors were.

WRK

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Rumors: Jamil Wilson heavily considering entering NBA draft
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
Of course he's considering it.

The feedback he got is that he's a second round pick at his point. I'd be surprised if he left for that.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
I'd like to announce that I'm entering the NBA draft. May as well, everyone else is.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I think Jamil is a better NBA prospect than Vander, so why not enter the draft?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »
Why would these rumors be "even more frightening?"  

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I think Jamil is a better NBA prospect than Vander

So did the advisory committee.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Whatever, everyone is declaring now.  Tim Hardaway, Jr. just declared and he was told no first round, maybe second.  Different mindsets for these student/athletes and who is telling them what to do.  

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
Why would these rumors be "even more frightening?"  

Because Vander going was a strong possibility, and people were probably hoping Wilson would step up and be the leader. Now he might leave too? Would be even stupider than Vander leaving because Wilson didn't even average 10 ppg or shoot 45%. Yeah scouts say he has potential but it looks like the highest he could go would be late second round. Why does everyone want to bolt all of the sudden? I'm a bit worried.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
People are bolting because people are scared to enter the draft as seniors nowadays.

Seniors are seen as players that were not good enough to go to the NBA early

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »
Jamil, what are you going to play in the pros?  Small Forward, you are not a good enough shooter, did they watch the Syracuse game, barely puts the ball on the floor, to small, can he
guard Lebron James?  Add 20-25 pounds of muscle, maybe.  If Tim Hardaway is a 2nd round pick what is Vander, much better range, better player.  To bad Michigan would have been
really good next year, now a little above average.  Much like MU.

insidetheleague

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
I haven't heard anything about Jamil going. He wasn't considering it during the season where as Vander has always been thinking draft this year.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
Better chances than not very good chances still isn't good enough.  But at least Wilson will have a diploma in May.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
Better chances than not very good chances still isn't good enough.  But at least Wilson will have a diploma in May.

I was wondering about that...is he graduating in May for sure?

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
I'd like to announce that I'm entering the NBA draft. May as well, everyone else is.

Be cautious, my friend, very cautious.  I was thinking heavily about declaring last year, but thank goodness I got talked out of it.  Now that I'm a senior (citizen, that is), there'll be no stopping me - especially after the season I've had.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I think Jamil is a better NBA prospect than Vander, so why not enter the draft?
I agree. Whoever said he's a poor shooter, I think, is mistaken. I do think that, given another year, Wilson could be a mid first round pick. He has an NBA body, has shooting range and athleticism. What he needs to work on is assertiveness on the offensive end.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
Obligatory post about a guy with 7 posts mentioning "his unnamed source" regarding a player transferring/going pro/arguing with buzz/enjoying pizza

Whatever, everyone is declaring now.  Tim Hardaway, Jr. just declared and he was told no first round, maybe second.  Different mindsets for these student/athletes and who is telling them what to do.  

Going pro and going undrafted and ending up in Europe could still land you $250k plus in some of the top tier teams in Greece, Turkey, Russia, Spain and Italy. Could still make a few million with some time overseas. Euro League minimum > $0 and tuition.  

Plus EuroLeagues play 40-50 games over a longer period. more time playing and practicing against European talent might lead a player back to the states.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
Well....if this happens it will reduce the Wilson and Jamil, Jamal, JaJuan confusion. Homer has his fingers crossed!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
If kids are leaving early just to go play in Europe now, that's a huge problem for the NCAA.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:22:43 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
If kids are leaving early just to go play in Europe now, that's a huge problem for the NCAA.

Not necessarily. There are a limited number of jobs for American players in Europe, especially in the higher paying leagues. The Spanish and Greek leagues, for example, allow only two non-Europeans per team (they call them "import" players). In Italy and the UK, it's three.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:34:31 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »
Can I ask a strange question? I'm not discounting these low volume posters and their information, but where do they come from? And how come they know so much more than our high volume posters who know a lot about the inside of the program?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
Not necessarily. There are a limited number of jobs for American players in Europe, especially in the higher paying leagues. The Spanish and Greek leagues, for example, allow only two non-Europeans per team (they call them "import" players). In the UK, it's three.

Oh ok, didn't know that. Do all of the Euro leagues do that or do Italy and France allow much more? If not, then yeah, that's not much of a threat and would be more of an option for a Brandon Jennings type player.

Though that sounds like quite the risk for a Jamil and Vander type. D-League doesn't  pay that much so I guess you better be comfortable with Russia, Turkey and China if you want decent money.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:37:41 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »
Can I ask a strange question? I'm not discounting these low volume posters and their information, but where do they come from? And how come they know so much more than our high volume posters who know a lot about the inside of the program?

Because rather than credible sources like "people," these low-volume posters have the greatest sources known to man: the internet.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
Oh ok, didn't know that. Do all of the Euro leagues do that or do Italy and France allow much more? If not, then yeah, that's not much of a threat and would be more of an option for a Brandon Jennings type player.

It varies pretty widely. France it seems has no limit.

http://www.europlayers.com/CountryInfo.aspx

onepost

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »

Because most of us low volume posters are current students here who work in the Al, have good friends who work in the Al, are friends with players, have friends who are close with players, etc. So we're obviously gonna see and hear things on campus that other posters wouldn't. Just because someone doesn't have a couple thousand posts doesn't mean they don't check out MUScoop as often as high volume posters.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:46:37 PM by oneposteagle »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »

Though that sounds like quite the risk for a Jamil and Vander type. D-League doesn't  pay that much so I guess you better be comfortable with Russia, Turkey and China if you want decent money.

Travis Diener's Italian team for example, has 5 Americans, and a 6th with dual citizenship that includes America.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
If he likes the feedback he gets then I hope he goes to the NBA and makes it. He's replaceable as is Vander. I do think Jamil would be a little bit bigger of a loss though to next years team. I just hope he doesn't transfer if he does indeed graduate in may. Now that would suck but I don't think it would happen.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Better chances than not very good chances still isn't good enough.  But at least Wilson will have a diploma in May.

Let's assume that the NBA draft rumors are false for a moment.

If Wilson graduates and chooses to transfer, would he be eligible immediately at a new school (similar to Trent Lockett)?  

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
Travis Diener's Italian team for example, has 5 Americans, and a 6th with dual citizenship that includes America.

Interesting. This is the threat to the NCAA that I think could force their hand in setting up some way to pay players.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »

If Wilson graduates and chooses to transfer, would he be eligible immediately at a new school (similar to Trent Lockett)?  

Maybe. He would have to attend a school with a graduate program not offered at Marquette (and enroll in that program).

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
Can someone start a thread saying that Mayo and Gardner have confirmed they are staying?  I need some good news.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »
Maybe Jamil and Vander are getting advive from the same agent..

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
Stupid idea for Jamil, I like him as a person a lot more than Vander and would miss him more.  Granted, though it would be young, the core of the team consisting of Steve Taylor Jr, Duane, JaJuan and Burton seems like a fantastic foundation even though it'd be rough originally. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
And he would do this why? He came to MU because he wanted to be close to home....he has had success and would be slated to be the go to player next year....

The answer to your question is yes he could do it......he won't but he could.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

What makes you think he wants to transfer?? His cousin Duane is coming to MU next year and he has a huge opportunity next year with Vander leaving for the NBA.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

The Process

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Maybe Jamil and Vander are getting advive from the same agent..

Over a burrito at Qdoba.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
[NEW TO PT] Jamil Wilson considered testing NBA waters but will return to #mubb for his senior year, per a source

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »

This route is clearly not ideal for everyone. Brandon Jennings tried it—and it was a miserable experience. Yes, he landed on his feet with the Bucks...but he seriously struggled in Italy. He was lucky.

Euro teams have no interest in babysitting spoiled American teens. The vast majority of US players have been coddled and told how amazing they are since the 5th grade. That all ends in Europe. Most simply aren't mature enough to handle it.

feedback