[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT- Marquette Stadium  (Read 30366 times)

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
OT- Marquette Stadium
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:13:44 PM »
Does anyone know too much about the old Marquette Stadium? All I know was that is seated about 15,000, and was taken down in 1978. I've forgotten the exact location, though wasn't it somewhere around 35th Street?

A web search turns up nothing, only a couple of hard to see photos from the archives web site, and references to MU and the Packers (for one year) playing there. I'm definitely curious!

harryp

• Starter
Re: OT- Marquette Stadium
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:57:33 PM »
It was south of the 35th street viaduct, and a little west of 35th street, down in the valley.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:23:57 PM »
Marquette High School played football there until it was torn down. It was old, but a nice stadium for high school football. Most high schools had a field with bleachers vs an actual stadium. While you got to it from 35th St. it probably was closer to 37th St. Basically 37th & Michigan.

lj854

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:31:27 PM »

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:26:21 PM »
Yeah, those were the photos I saw. It's amazing how little information there is out there on the place. You would think a 15,000 seat stadium that stood in Milwaukee for years would be a little more talked about in the endless archive that is cyberspace.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 07:10:54 AM »
ahoya - you might consider adding all the stuff you find about the stadium to the wiki so others can find it more quickly and then you'd be really really cool 8)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:40:29 AM »
It was not in the Valley but between Wisconsin and I-94 off of 35th street. just to show my age when I worked a summer for MU buildings and grounds we had to do some maintnenace out there, I think most of the seating had already been removed and it was mostly temporary bleachers.  Did MUHS play there for a period of time.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »
Please jot down your research here, Ahoya.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/facilities/marquette_stadium

warriorj96

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 08:19:51 AM »
MU soccer practiced there until the mid 90s when Marquette High School purchased the land. They have since built a soccer field/track at the site. There is no stadium remaining.

Originally the lights from the stadium still stood and were used by the soccer teams in the late fall to get practice in.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:11 AM »
Have you tried checking an old program?

It might contain the venue and seating capacity.
SS Marquette

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:08:56 AM »
Duly noted about the Wiki.  ;)

I'll put my research hat on over the next few days, and see what I can come up with.

Gonna be out of town for the weekend for the ND game, but I'll happily work on it when I get back.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 09:15:46 AM by Ahoya06 »

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 09:38:17 AM »
MU soccer practiced there until the mid 90s when Marquette High School purchased the land. They have since built a soccer field/track at the site. There is no stadium remaining.

Originally the lights from the stadium still stood and were used by the soccer teams in the late fall to get practice in.

If I'm not mistaken, the foundation from the stadium was still ther in the mid 90's. I also think that it was the site of Marquette's track and the location of Marquette track meets where the great Ralph Metcalfe competed for Marquette. In my humble opinion Ralph Metcalfe is perhaps Marquette's greatest athlete.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »
Info below from Journal Sentinel Website:

http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/century/oct99/century103199.asp?format=print

Compiled and written by Cliff Christl
of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: Oct. 29, 1999

EVENT TO REMEMBER
VENUE OF DREAMS Marquette Stadium

Some of the greatest track stars of the day, including Jesse Owens, competed in a variety of prestigious meets held at Marquette Stadium in the 1930s. In addition to the annual Central Intercollegiate meet, the stadium was the site of the 47th and 50th annual Amateur Athletic Union meets in 1934 and '37, and the U.S. Olympic decathlon trials in 1936. In the '34 AAU meet, Bill Bothron set a world record and edged Glenn Cunningham in one of the classic 1,500-meter races of all-time. Jack Torrance and Glenn Hardin also set world records in the shot put and 400-meter hurdles. Owens won the broad jump and finished second to Ralph Metcalfe in the 100. In '37, Cunningham, the silver medalist in the '36 Olympics, won the 1,500, which was again the feature event. In the decathlon trials, Glenn Morris finished ahead of Robert Clark and Jack Parker. The three subsequently swept the gold, silver and bronze medals in the Olympics. In the 1935 Central Intercollegiate meet, Owens won three events: the 100, 220 and broad jump. The 1930s also were the salad days of Marquette football. The stadium, located at W. Clybourn and 36th Sts., seated 24,000.

THE HEADLINER Ralph Metcalfe

Metcalfe may have been a victim of circumstances in his quest for Olympic gold, but he ranked as one of the world's premier sprinters in the first half of the 20th century. A native of Atlanta, Ga., Metcalfe ran for Marquette University. After winning the 100- and 200-meter dashes in the U.S. Olympic Trials in 1932, Metcalfe settled for silver and bronze medals at the Olympic Games. Eddie Tolan, his U.S. teammate, won the gold in both events. In the 100, Tolan and Metcalfe finished in a dead heat and it took the judges several hours to declare a winner. In the 200, it was discovered after the race that Metcalfe had started three or four feet behind the other runners. Offered a re-run by Olympic officials, he declined rather than jeopardize his country's sweep in the event. In the '36 Olympics, Metcalfe won the silver again in the 100, finishing behind Jesse Owens. Metcalfe also won his only gold that year in the 400-meter relay. During his years at Marquette, from 1932-'34, Metcalfe won the 100 and 220 three straight years in both the NCAA and AAU meets. In 1975, Metcalfe was inducted into the National Track & Field Hall of Fame.

We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »
Looks like the NCAA Track and Field Championships were held (at least two times, 1944 and 1945) at Marquette Stadium.

June 9 - Navy wins the 24th NCAA Track & Field Championships, held for the second straight year at Marquette Stadium.

Info from JSOnlinc.com

http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/century/oct99/timeline110599.asp
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:06:00 AM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 09:57:48 AM »
Does anyone know too much about the old Marquette Stadium? All I know was that is seated about 15,000, and was taken down in 1978. I've forgotten the exact location, though wasn't it somewhere around 35th Street?

A web search turns up nothing, only a couple of hard to see photos from the archives web site, and references to MU and the Packers (for one year) playing there. I'm definitely curious!

We used it for the CUSA Soccer championships in 1996 or 97 I believe.  It had snowed so damn much the day before the final that we couldn't clear Valley Fields and ruin the property, so St. Louis and I think S. Florida (can't remember) played at the stadium.  Took about 50 volunteers with shovels to clear the field of heavy snow.  What a nightmare.

We used to play intramurals down there for football.

The Dry Heaves....still immortalized as champions down there.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 09:59:41 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

MarqGold17

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 10:37:37 AM »
According to university records in the early 1970's the university began to believe that the stadium "might have outlived its usefulness or that the funds tied up in it could be put to more productive use elsewhere." At first the university thought it would be better to sell the property. In 1971 Dunn and Stringer Realty Incorporated showed a great deal of interest in purchasing the property, but that sale did not go through. Instead the university decided to raze the stadium. In 1974 Modern Wrecking Company, Inc. of Elm Grove, Wisconsin was the low bid to raze and remove the debris of Marquette Stadium for a grand total of $58,000. While examining the records I also discovered that the city was becoming very annoyed with the continued maintenance of the property. The city of Milwaukee always seemed to find some violation and subsequently Marquette was forced to make improvements. That is how the stadium ended, but there is so much more history to this building that is overlooked or forgotten. It’s sad that Marquette had to remove such an iconic part of its history, but records indicate that the university’s hand was pretty much forced. Marquette Stadium became a money pit towards the end of its lifespan and subsequently the university made the decision to spend that money on other areas.

**If someone wants to put this in the wiki feel free to, or if you want a more encyclopedic version of what is written above please let me know.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 11:11:19 AM »
I have a couple of tidbits. First, I had the good fortune of playing football in that stadium for Marquette High in the '71, '72 and '73 seasons. It was old but it was quite intimidating for our opponents. It was our stadium (even though owned by MU) and it echoed with the steel cleats as we went in and out of the stadium. Many good memories and big wins. MUHS had track meets there, too. Near the end, fans literally pulled slivers out of their asses from the benches. Neither MU or MUHS had the money to provide the upkeep.

Mike Ditka played there in the '59 or '60 season when MU played Pitt. I was there but was too young to recall the game. My father was a big Ditka fan and relayed over the years that Ditka had an incredible game. I think he caught a touchdown pass and had a big punt block that won the game for Pitt.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 11:26:37 AM »
I was at that game.  Ditka made an incredible touchdown run late in the game when it looked like MU was going to get its first big time win in some time.  The loss sent the team into the doldrums, and by the time they recovered it was too late to save the season.  IMO had we won that game we would have had a successful season and stll be playing football today.
I was a good stadium, no bad seats and easy to get to at the time.  I also saw the NCAA meet there in the 40's and have some good memories of that.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 11:48:49 AM »
According to university records in the early 1970's the university began to believe that the stadium "might have outlived its usefulness or that the funds tied up in it could be put to more productive use elsewhere." At first the university thought it would be better to sell the property. In 1971 Dunn and Stringer Realty Incorporated showed a great deal of interest in purchasing the property, but that sale did not go through. Instead the university decided to raze the stadium. In 1974 Modern Wrecking Company, Inc. of Elm Grove, Wisconsin was the low bid to raze and remove the debris of Marquette Stadium for a grand total of $58,000. While examining the records I also discovered that the city was becoming very annoyed with the continued maintenance of the property. The city of Milwaukee always seemed to find some violation and subsequently Marquette was forced to make improvements. That is how the stadium ended, but there is so much more history to this building that is overlooked or forgotten. It’s sad that Marquette had to remove such an iconic part of its history, but records indicate that the university’s hand was pretty much forced. Marquette Stadium became a money pit towards the end of its lifespan and subsequently the university made the decision to spend that money on other areas.

**If someone wants to put this in the wiki feel free to, or if you want a more encyclopedic version of what is written above please let me know.

Awesome info. Thanks. I hope someone puts all of this on the Wiki since the Wiki entry comes up on Google and it'd be good to consolidate all of this. There is a rich history to Marquette Stadium, and Marquette Football and Track & Field, that should not only not be forgotten - but should be embraced.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
I have a couple of tidbits. First, I had the good fortune of playing football in that stadium for Marquette High in the '71, '72 and '73 seasons. It was old but it was quite intimidating for our opponents. It was our stadium (even though owned by MU) and it echoed with the steel cleats as we went in and out of the stadium. Many good memories and big wins. MUHS had track meets there, too. Near the end, fans literally pulled slivers out of their asses from the benches. Neither MU or MUHS had the money to provide the upkeep.

Mike Ditka played there in the '59 or '60 season when MU played Pitt. I was there but was too young to recall the game. My father was a big Ditka fan and relayed over the years that Ditka had an incredible game. I think he caught a touchdown pass and had a big punt block that won the game for Pitt.

I seem to remember hearing that it was the 1960 season and that win by Pitt, punctuated by Ditka's TD, was the "nail in the coffin" for Marquette football.
We Are Marquette

MarqGold17

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 12:31:05 PM »

Found a few more interesting tidbits about Marquette Stadium for you guys

-After Marquette Football ceased playing there a plethora of outside organizations and institutions began utilizing the stadium including Marquette High School Football, Northern Michigan College, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Southern Illinois University, Pius XI High School, various intramural clubs of Marquette including the soccer and track clubs, as well as professional football teams like the San Francisco 49ers, and the Los Angeles Rams (used it as a practice facility.)

-The stadium was located approximately 23 blocks West of campus. The main stadium area contained 9.1 acres completely fenced in. The East and West stands each held approximately 10,000 people for a grand total of 20,000 total capacity. The stadium had a regulation college football field, and a ¼ mile cinder running track. Underneath the west stands there were 16, 374 square feet of space containing a boiler room, locker rooms, shower facilities, first aid station, and storage rooms. Adjacent to the main stadium were two practice fields, one with lights.

There’s more stuff here too, but I’ll have to add it all another day.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 01:03:05 PM »
.. Constant reminder .. the wiki is slowly becoming a rich source.  The football page is pretty solid:

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_football/start

If we could get just a few more guys, like you above, to share your stuff, it would really be outstanding.  If you need any help, please shoot me a private message, and I'll do what I can to help you share your info on the wiki.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »
.. Constant reminder .. the wiki is slowly becoming a rich source.  The football page is pretty solid:

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_football/start

If we could get just a few more guys, like you above, to share your stuff, it would really be outstanding.  If you need any help, please shoot me a private message, and I'll do what I can to help you share your info on the wiki.
Can anyone who is an MUScoop member enter info on the Wiki? If so, I'd add this stuff regarding Marquette Stadium.
We Are Marquette

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »
Can anyone who is an MUScoop member enter info on the Wiki? If so, I'd add this stuff regarding Marquette Stadium.

yes

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 02:18:27 PM »

You bet.  On the login page, just use your MUScoop username and password.  If you click the box to "Remember Me", you won't have to login again for a long time.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php?id=start&do=login

feedback