Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Initial thoughts on Vander Blue's departure  (Read 14224 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Initial thoughts on Vander Blue's departure
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
Do you not see the difference between:

"I don't think this is the right move for him."

and

"Have fun in Turkey. Maybe."

One is an opinion. The other is a selfish dick statement made out of malice.

We can argue the pro's and con's of his early entry all day long. There are good arguments both ways and ultimately, only time will reveal the answer as to whether the decision was right or wrong. However, you'll excuse me if I get annoyed when people bash the kid and make statements such as the one above just because he made a decision that doesn't fit their narrow world view. It is possible to disagree with his decision in a respectful manner, isn't it?

Thanks for the commentary though. I am much more "settled down" now. Can't remember when I called you, specifically, bitter or a hater, but I apologize for it nonetheless.

Good point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
As always, Hunt never fails.

Williams' best hope is that rising sophomore Todd Mayo, who was academically ineligible for the first semester last season, steps up his game. Mayo, the heir to Blue's shooting guard position, and point guard Derrick Anderson are Marquette's only experienced returning backcourt players. Together, they averaged about 6.5 points last season.

I was more interested in the part that says Buzz and Marquette were caught off guard. 

connie

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »
I was more interested in the part that says Buzz and Marquette were caught off guard. 
A little concerning, but Hunt has not demonstrated that he has great insight into the MU program this year that I recall.  Hard to put a lot of stock in that without some other sources.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
A little concerning, but Hunt has not demonstrated that he has great insight into the MU program this year that I recall.  Hard to put a lot of stock in that without some other sources.

Tie Hunt's comments with Jeff Goodman's.......

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
Tie Hunt's comments with Jeff Goodman's.......
And what did Goodman say.....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

martyconlonontherun

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
So are you implying Goodman is a mouth-piece for Buzz?

I'm implying Goodman has always been very pro Buzz and has had some good scoops and reporting on Buzz.  That's what I am implying.

I find it interesting that Hunt says MU and Buzz were caught by surprise...maybe he made that up, or maybe he didn't.  I find it interesting that someone at a major draft website was very surprised that he declared.  I find it interesting that Jeff Goodman finds the decision baffling and a head scratcher.  Whether 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 or all of this is coincidental, I don't know.

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »
To all the Self Appointed Arbiters of Good Taste on this Board:

Allow me to rephrase:
(He is not ready)  Watch ESPN Films 30 for 30 "Survive and Advance,"  Directed by Jonathan Hock.  The story of the 1983 NC State National Championship.  LISTEN to what is said.

He is not ready.

(Have fun in Turkey.  Maybe)  I have been around College Basketball for 45 years. Pardon my snarky remark but he is not ready. He is listening to bad advice. And the shortsightedness of these kids is so sad. Sad for the loss of a degree. Sad for the what he represents by leaving early. He does not have the skills to compete in the NBA. Just sad and disappointed for Vander, for the Marquette Community, for the kids who look up to him.  

I wish I were wrong.  I'm not. He is not ready. Best of luck. Time will tell.  I'm not a hater, just a fan with perspective. You only get so many years of athletic eligibility in college. And now the best year of his college career is gone forever.

Want proof? The last second miracle against Davidson does not happen.  Marquette goes home with a Round of 64  loss. Vander stays for his Senior Year. He has the same skills either way.
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »

Allow me to rephrase:
(He is not ready)  Watch ESPN Films 30 for 30 "Survive and Advance,"  Directed by Jonathan Hock.  The story of the 1983 NC State National Championship.  LISTEN to what is said.

He is not ready.

(Have fun in Turkey.  Maybe)  I have been around College Basketball for 45 years. Pardon my snarky remark but he is not ready. He is listening to bad advice. And the shortsightedness of these kids is so sad. Sad for the loss of a degree. Sad for the what he represents by leaving early. He does not have the skills to compete in the NBA. Just sad and disappointed for Vander, for the Marquette Community, for the kids who look up to him.  

I wish I were wrong.  I'm not. He is not ready. Best of luck. Time will tell.  I'm not a hater, just a fan with perspective. You only get so many years of athletic eligibility in college. And now the best year of his college career is gone forever.

Want proof? The last second miracle against Davidson does not happen.  Marquette goes home with a Round of 64  loss. Vander stays for his Senior Year. He has the same skills either way.

+1 You are spot on.  MU 1977
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »
I wish Vander the best.  Yet I think he is making a mistake.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 12:13:45 AM »

Allow me to rephrase:

He is not ready.

It was not a miracle to beat Davidson....it was execution.   ;)

I'm guessing based on the shock of many of the experts today, he would declare anyway.  He was exploring this after freshman year apparently....that says something right there.  He certainly has never been wanting in the confidence department.  Hope it works out for him.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »
It was not a miracle to beat Davidson....it was execution.   ;)

I'm guessing based on the shock of many of the experts today, he would declare anyway.  He was exploring this after freshman year apparently....that says something right there.  He certainly has never been wanting in the confidence department.  Hope it works out for him.

But I thought getting to the Final 4 was all about luck, not execution...

:D

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
Personally I think its a bad decision and he got bad advice from somewhere but theres noting anybody can do now. I just cant help of thinking when Jereme Richmond declared a few years back and that what I worry about with Vander. Yes Vander is a much better player then Richmond was at the time of the draft but it just worries me for his sake. Selfishly I was very upset about his decision today because I though next year was going to be something very special but its his life and its over with. Hopefully he gets drafted but in all honesty I really dont see it happening.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:36 AM »
If Van ends up in Germany then that would really be the wurst!

Do you think Vander Blue is gouda 'nuff to play in Holland??

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:00 AM »

I hope Vander Blue doesn't end up playing in Italy and living off pasta glory...

Death on call

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 02:46:23 AM »
Just as a footnote, Coach McGuire said Maurice Lucas was not ready for the NBA and that he needed another year ... you never know.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »

If Vander Blue ends up playing in Moscow he'll have them Russian the court!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:55 AM »

If Vander Blue wants to go to the NBA but ends up playing in Denmark he'll have to play his very best or Elsinore!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »

If Vander Blue ends up playing in China he'll be Peking to come home!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 03:50:27 AM »

Marquette will spend Thanksgiving in Maui while Vander has Turkey everyday...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 03:56:24 AM »

If Vander Blue ends up playing in Switzerland with the Grimm Reaper then the NCAA Tournament won't Matterhorn...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 03:58:24 AM »

If Vander Blue ends up playing in Spain he'll find the game as easy as paella...

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 05:10:51 AM »
All that matters now is that Blue perform at the NBA combine. If Vander can continue to create his own shot, especially against taller players, he will be fine and will get drafted. The key is low turnovers because of the speed of the game and shot creation and selection. Use what Buzz has taught him and make it happen.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
I'm implying Goodman has always been very pro Buzz and has had some good scoops and reporting on Buzz.  That's what I am implying.

I find it interesting that Hunt says MU and Buzz were caught by surprise...maybe he made that up, or maybe he didn't.  I find it interesting that someone at a major draft website was very surprised that he declared.  I find it interesting that Jeff Goodman finds the decision baffling and a head scratcher.  Whether 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 or all of this is coincidental, I don't know.

You've repeatedly said that Goodman is pro-Buzz and has had some good scoops. You've already repeatedly implied that his good scoops were tips, directly or indirectly, from Buzz. If you're going to try to be squishy so you can claim you've never said certain things, then at least use squishy words in the correct manner.

feedback