[Today at 07:17:20 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Belling ranks Buzz behind Rice...  (Read 7561 times)

silverback

• Starter
Belling ranks Buzz behind Rice...
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
Apologies if this is old news...

I've been on the road again for work, but visited MKE during the Final Four weekend. I had Belling at WISN on the air for less than 20 minutes and managed to catch him discussing the Rice at Rutgers ugliness. He brought up Jake Thomas and said it's worse for Buzz to "take away" the scholarship than it was for Rice to abuse his players in practice. So, a walk-on leaves the team to get playing time elsewhere when there's a monster class coming in, and his departure is worse than what we saw from Rice.

Now, Belling is one of those Poindexter dweebs who knows nothing about sports – a scrawny, angry little boy who didn't get picked for dodgeball. Horse racing? OK. Great. But he so wants to be a big MAN who knows sports, he often pipes up about such things.

Am I right in assuming he rips MU more often now that the university went over to the ESPN affiliate in town?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Belling ranks Buzz behind Rice...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
Who is belling?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »

I've been on the road again for work, but visited MKE during the Final Four weekend. I had Belling at WISN on the air for less than 20 minutes

There in lies your mistake. Every minute listening to Belling is akin to watching First Take on ESPN with Skip Bayless and Stephan A Smith, all wasted minutes of your life which you can't get back.

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
I get that he's a knob. Granted. I was just wondering if he was so anti-MU when ISN was the flagship.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »
Belling is in the business of saying provocative things.  I'm not surprised at any of this.  My guess is that this was couched in some soliloquy about how everyone these days are a bunch of wimps and coaches should be allowed to toughen their players up (by physically abusing them and using racial slurs), but that going against your word... or something is unforgivable (even though players transfer all of the time, for a variety of reasons).  

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »
Mark Belling would have his facts correct, if Mike Hunt wrote a better piece on Jake Thomas.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
MU didn't take a scholarship away...Belling is an idiot

brandx

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

I've been on the road again for work, but visited MKE during the Final Four weekend. I had Belling at WISN on the air for less than 20 minutes and managed to catch him discussing the Rice at Rutgers ugliness. He brought up Jake Thomas and said it's worse for Buzz to "take away" the scholarship than it was for Rice to abuse his players in practice. So, a walk-on leaves the team to get playing time elsewhere when there's a monster class coming in, and his departure is worse than what we saw from Rice.

Now, Belling is one of those Poindexter dweebs who knows nothing about sports – a scrawny, angry little boy who didn't get picked for dodgeball. Horse racing? OK. Great. But he so wants to be a big MAN who knows sports, he often pipes up about such things.

Am I right in assuming he rips MU more often now that the university went over to the ESPN affiliate in town?

The bigger question is why you or anyone would listen to or care what the dirtbag has to say.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »
MU didn't take a scholarship away...Belling is an idiot

I miss Mr. Belding.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
I haven't heard that name in years.  Kind of surprised that he still has a show. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
I rank Belling behind rectal warts.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 06:03:22 PM »
Who is belling?

This.  I thought it was some blogger with a few thousand readers, but lo and behold it's another thread about your WI radio guys.  Enough already.  You guys realize that someone posting their opinion on Scoop gets at least a few hundred views, while these radio guys probably get a few dozen listeners?

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
This.  I thought it was some blogger with a few thousand readers, but lo and behold it's another thread about your WI radio guys.  Enough already.  You guys realize that someone posting their opinion on Scoop gets at least a few hundred views, while these radio guys probably get a few dozen listeners?

I've always found this a particularly interesting notion to ponder.  Thinking of Hunt, for example - how many people read his articles that are NOT regularly on Scoop?  I feel like he is writing for an incredibly small audience (which makes it all that more comical how much time Scoopers spend blasting him).  At any rate, there's no reason to overreact to the opinion of a pundit who has no credibility beyond that of a dedicated fan.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
The bigger question is why you or anyone would listen to or care what the dirtbag has to say.
Well we can see you are on the left.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »
Why would you say that? The guy is the ultimate lowlife regardless of politics.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
He's actually funny, but since Homer and MU left WISN he rips them at every opportunity. Oh well.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
Belling isn't very good at his job. Political viewpoint aside, some people are smart and talented when they do their work, right or left... Belling is not one of these people.

It's definitely possible to be on "the same side" as someone and think they're a nozzle.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
Belling isn't very good at his job. Political viewpoint aside, some people are smart and talented when they do their work, right or left... Belling is not one of these people.

I'm sorry, but this is patently wrong.  My personal politics are diametrically opposed to Mark Belling, but I will acknowledge talent and skill when it exists, regardless of political persuasion. He's consistently #1 in the radio market for his time slot, afternoon drive time.  He fills in for Limbaugh and, as such, has a small national reputation.  And yes, he says sh!t purely to get a reaction.  But to say he's not good at his job is simply not factual.

And he regularly rips on Marquette.   And he's a knob shine.
Ludum habemus.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »
I suspect Belling read Hunt's (poorly written) article and based his opinion on the information found there.  Garbage In - Garbage Out. 

So here I'm attacking Belling's argument.  I'm not attacking Belling.

This is a concept I'd like to see more often on this board.  I love this board and I get a lot of knowledge and pleasure from it.

The thing I'd most like to see though is fewer "ad hominem" attacks.  That is, when we see a person write something we really don't agree with, don't attack the person.  Instead, attack their statement or their argument.  Attacking the person is a classic argumentative flaw, and it's also tacky.  I'd like to think it's below the standards of this board.

OK - stepping off the soap box.....
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
And yes, he says sh!t purely to get a reaction. 

If that's all he can do... does that really make him talented?

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »
Why would you say that? The guy is the ultimate lowlife regardless of politics.
I wouldn't say that at all. There are many things in the city that he stands up for that others don't have the balls to say.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »
The original poster would have a much less stressful life if the original poster listened to music on the road instead of political or sports talk radio.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »

So?????

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 08:54:25 AM »
So?????
Well, it just makes my point. People who don't like him are from the left.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
I know I've said this before, but my "issue" with Belling is that he is soooooo wrong on certain issues (that I actually have knowledge of), that I don't know if I can really trust him on other issues that I'm not so informed of.

Some of his opinions on politics might be accurate, but I can't trust the dude at all, so he's just annoying to me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
Well, it just makes my point. People who don't like him are from the left.

I know people who can't stand him that are clearly Republican...mostly because of what Guns said.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
Oh, and just to add to what I said, I know the guy is clearly trolling sometimes, but then writes it off as "Having the ball to say what others won't!"

That's a classic radio tactic (so Mark isn't the only one), but I can't stand that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
Have love/hate feelings towards him. I definitely lean his way in political views but his often non factual comments on MU and other topics piss me off. No doubt the guy is talented and creates conversation. I just wish he would do homework before bashing MU every chance he gets.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 09:41:50 AM »
Most are with him on many things, example the Derrick Williams case.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:43:31 AM by bradley center bat »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »
I know I've said this before, but my "issue" with Belling is that he is soooooo wrong on certain issues (that I actually have knowledge of), that I don't know if I can really trust him on other issues that I'm not so informed of.

Some of his opinions on politics might be accurate, but I can't trust the dude at all, so he's just annoying to me.

I have the same feelings about Belling, but what bothers me most is he is so damn arrogant and rude to his callers. It is to the point that it makes me uncomfortable so I do not listen much.

As far as him bashing MU, it gets peoples panties in a bunch and he gets attention for it. No different than most other radio hosts. There are little buttons on the radio that magically change to another station. People should try pushing those more often.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
Some how I picture him at Victums right now reading this thread rubbing his hands together in delight at generating yet more undeserved attention.

This is what happens when you feed trolls

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:24 AM »
I have the same feelings about Belling, but what bothers me most is he is so damn arrogant and rude to his callers. It is to the point that it makes me uncomfortable so I do not listen much.

This. The guy is a jerk to people who agree with him, much less those who disagree. He takes a call, cuts them off, does all the talking, and then drops them.

He's also dead wrong about so many factual things its hard to take the politics seriously.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »
Belling is like Skip Bayless. He opens his mouth specifically to get a rise out of people. Pretty sure even he doesn't believe half of what he says, but he knows that people will listen.

This quote from Private Parts sums up exactly what makes trolls like Belling so successful:

Quote from: Private Parts
    Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes a day. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
    Kenny: How could this be?
    Researcher: Answer most commonly given: "I want to see what he'll say next."
    Kenny: All right, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
    Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
    Kenny: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
    Researcher: Most common answer: "I want to see what he'll say next."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »
The original poster would have a much less stressful life if the original poster listened to music on the road instead of political or sports talk radio.

good idea!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
Pretty sure even he doesn't believe half of what he says

I get that its a business and he needs ears and sponsorships and blah blah blah, but the listeners DO believe it, even if he doesn't. This is the problem with America.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
Belling went on a rant about Buzz recruitng bad people a couple of weeks ago. (Based on MJS reports no doubt)  PO'd me so I called.  Asked screener if Mark had ever talked to a MU basketball player.  Didn't get on the air.

I am aligned with Belling on some topics, usually fiscal, not social.  I still think he is personally repugnant.

bork

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
I listen to Belling and agree with him on many points, but I will turn the station when he starts taking callers.

He also admits to not following college basketball much and prefers the NBA.  So I really don't put much stock in what he has to say about college basketball, especially since he has such an agenda against MU.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

Um, not close. Try again.

Stringer Bellenson

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »

Um, not close. Try again.

Yeah, way off.  This guy is Fon du Lac's answer to Andrew Breitbart.  Huge media and political power-broker up in Appleton.  I personally don't like his elitist, anti-Catholic agenda, typical of the biased lame-stream media.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »
I listen to Belling and agree with him on many points, but I will turn the station when he starts taking callers.

He also admits to not following college basketball much and prefers the NBA.  So I really don't put much stock in what he has to say about college basketball, especially since he has such an agenda against MU.

But, this is my fundamental issue:

He doesn't know a lot about a topic, but it doesn't preclude him from pontificating about it and hanging up on anybody who disagrees.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »

Yeah, way off.  This guy is Fon du Lac's answer to Andrew Breitbart.  Huge media and political power-broker up in Appleton.  I personally don't like his elitist, anti-Catholic agenda, typical of the biased lame-stream media.

::)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »

Did anyone else chuckle at this line?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »
Did anyone else chuckle at this line?

I'm still super confused after reading "huge" and "up in Appleton" in the same sentence. 

Stringer Bellenson

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »
I'm still super confused after reading "huge" and "up in Appleton" in the same sentence. 

Figured typing that sentence was the equivalent of using teal.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »

Have you seen the average weight in Outagamie County?

brandx

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »

::)

My thought exactly to anyone that uses that term.

These guys are entertainers ( in other words - its about $$$$). Anyone who uses them to get their news needs to get a grip on reality.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
To clarify the record -- as if any Scooper didn't know it:

1) Jake Thomas was a scholarship athlete at a university in the Dakotas.

2) He left after one year and became a walk-on at Marquette. There was NO promise of a scholarship.

3) Because of a series of unforeseen events, Buzz had a scholarship to give, which he awarded to Jake for two years.

4) Jake got two years of a Marquette education he otherwise would have had to pay for.

5) Jake went into this year knowing it was doubtful he would have a scholarship.

6) Mark Belling needs to get his facts right. Wouldn't be the first time he had that need.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
When it comes to radio, I only believe in what Dan Bernstein tells me to believe in (or Larry Horse).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »
To clarify the record -- as if any Scooper didn't know it:

1) Jake Thomas was a scholarship athlete at a university in the Dakotas.

2) He left after one year and became a walk-on at Marquette. There was NO promise of a scholarship.

3) Because of a series of unforeseen events, Buzz had a scholarship to give, which he awarded to Jake for two years.

4) Jake got two years of a Marquette education a degree from Marquette University he otherwise would have had to pay for.

5) Jake went into this year knowing it was doubtful he would have a scholarship.

6) Mark Belling needs to get his facts right. Wouldn't be the first time he had that need.