[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Obese Americans need Federal Protection.  (Read 5288 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Obese Americans need Federal Protection.
« on: September 19, 2007, 12:44:57 PM »
So says Democrat Presidential candidate Governor Bill Richardson (and darkhorse Veep with Hillary).

Only in America.

Of course I have to ask the salient question, isn't this a conflict of interest in the Governor's case?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/09/richardson-obes.html

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Obese Americans need Federal Protection.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »
yeah, from a treadmill! look at the rest of the world and look at the U.S. Obesity does not need to be another thing the gov't worries about. How is that when you go to Europe, you see no obese people and when you do see someone that's bigger, it turns out to be an American?! Because they don't binge eat and not work out!! It's called living a healthy lifestyle obese Americans...try it sometime!!

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
This is nuts. How do you know who is obese b/c of some kind of medical complication and who is obese because of lifestyle choices? It seems to me that if you are obese because of lifestyle choices that you should get the same protection as smokers and drinkers: none.
We Are Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »
This is nuts. How do you know who is obese b/c of some kind of medical complication and who is obese because of lifestyle choices? It seems to me that if you are obese because of lifestyle choices that you should get the same protection as smokers and drinkers: none.

As someone who is obese (6', 225 lbs) I want everything I can get from the Feds, considering all I get now is taxes and roads.

Seriously, my doctor told me I am obese at 6' and 225 lbs.  No wonder 70% of the country is obese.  If I weighed my "target weight" of like 175, I'd look like I did in high school.  And I'm not that big of a guy to begin with. 

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 04:18:43 PM »
my research in grad school is on obesity.  there is alot of evidence that suggests obesity may be the result of inflammation, which makes it alot harder to fix.  there are also inherent genetic causes.  if the feds will cover smoking related health problems i see no problem with covering obesity related health problems such as diabetes and atherosclerosis.

regardless, exercise is the best cure for obesity. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:42:25 PM »
Obesity should be tackled in the schools but we're spending too much time testing them!!!

Remember the days of two-three recess breaks a day? Forget it. You're lucky to get one or two.

The Feds have to battle obesity because we the taxpayers have to pay for those that are uninsured. Which leads us, naturally, to the state of the nation's health care...

Discuss.
SS Marquette

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:42 PM »
The difference with younger generations and mine is the snack food available and the lack of physical exercise.

When I was a kid growing up eating between meals was frowned upon----we were just coming out of the depression and in the midst of World War 2 and no one had any money to buy anything other than an occasional ice cream cone (for 5 or 10 cents).

Also there weren't very many two car families-----and if you wanted to go somewhere you either walked or road a hard to peddle bike!

Bottomline: People are obese today because of too much snacking between meals and driving or riding in a car to even short distance destinations instead of walking or biking. Obesity is the unintended consequence of successful modern economies managed by govenment (too much money around). Laws fostered by government to eliminate any supposed discrimination against obese people just compounds the problem as it eliminates another reason why a person should slim down----there should be consequences for self indulging!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:59:05 PM by Murffieus »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:52:55 PM »
Murff is right.  Not only the snacking, but jobs are more service oriented now (less manual labor), we (my included) sit on our asses, we eat unhealthy things, etc.

But to carve out this niche for special benefits, give me a break.

I want left handed benefits because it's harder for me to open some doors or write on a desk.  Where does it stop

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 10:09:32 PM »
My question is if obesity has been found to be genetic, then why does it seem that it is only as big of a problem as it is in the US and not other places around the world?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:37:06 AM »
My question is if obesity has been found to be genetic, then why does it seem that it is only as big of a problem as it is in the US and not other places around the world?

Because it - the problem of obesity - COSTS something. (The prevalence of it was outlined by Murf and Chico: readily available, fat-filled snacks; decline of exercise; etc.) The other health problems brought on obesity (heart disease, diabetes, etc.) have put a strain on the health care world as well as local and federal health programs. And this gets special attention because not only are the costs associated with obesity and its related problems rising, but it is PREVENTABLE. Hence, there are more programs targeting preventing obesity.
SS Marquette