[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gophers Beat Writer All In On Buzz  (Read 18454 times)

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
Re: Gophers Beat Writer All In On Buzz
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Interesting list of all time NCAA appearances (according to Wiki). MU shows nicely at 11.  Where does Minnesota rank? Tied for 126th with 7! Right next to the other basketball powerhouses such as Dartmouth, TCU, Ball State, and Eastern Kentucky.

Yeah but what about the stripped records you ask? fine add in the 4 NCAA appearances that were wiped out by cheating. They surge ahead to 90th, next to Seattle and Navy.

Even more interesting, Butler, VCU and Davidson would be one slot higher than MN with 12 appearances. Perhaps they should be calling MN coaches when they have coaching vacancies...

52 Kentucky
44 North Carolina
43 UCLA
42 Kansas
39 Louisville
37 Indiana
37 Duke
36 Syracuse
33 Notre Dame
32 Villanova
31 Marquette

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Tournament_bids_by_school

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »
Interesting list of all time NCAA appearances (according to Wiki). MU shows nicely at 11.  Where does Minnesota rank? Tied for 126th with 7! Right next to the other basketball powerhouses such as Dartmouth, TCU, Ball State, and Eastern Kentucky.

Yeah but what about the stripped records you ask? fine add in the 4 NCAA appearances that were wiped out by cheating.

No need to add in those stripped records.  There is cheating and really really cheating.  The U was really really cheating.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »
MN and UW basketball are very similar jobs now.

For the right coach, it's a great gig, and they can have a lot of success.

But, there isn't a laundry list of guys clamoring to take either of those gigs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
MN and UW basketball are very similar jobs now.

For the right coach, it's a great gig, and they can have a lot of success.

But, there isn't a laundry list of guys clamoring to take either of those gigs.

From a facilities standpoint, the UW job is 1 million times the job the MN job is.  If they threw that job open to a true national search, they will get a real good group of people who are interested IMO.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »

From a facilities standpoint, the UW job is 1 million times the job the MN job is.  If they threw that job open to a true national search, they will get a real good group of people who are interested IMO.

Last time they had the job open they settled for their third choice after choice 1 (Majerus) and choice 2 (Braun) passed.
Though it probably worked out for the best for them.
Not sure the facilities have changed much since then.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »

Yes, but I have to think that a new Gopher practice facility is on the immediate horizon for MN. I assume that is brought up during the interview process...

But then again, nobody is taking the job, so maybe there isn't a new practice facility coming.  :-\

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:09 AM »

Yeah but what about the stripped records you ask? fine add in the 4 NCAA appearances that were wiped out by cheating. They surge ahead to 90th, next to Seattle and Navy.

Even more interesting, Butler, VCU and Davidson would be one slot higher than MN with 12 appearances. Perhaps they should be calling MN coaches when they have coaching vacancies...

52 Kentucky
44 North Carolina
43 UCLA
42 Kansas
39 Louisville
37 Indiana
37 Duke
36 Syracuse
33 Notre Dame
32 Villanova
31 Marquette

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Tournament_bids_by_school

Interesting that Notre Dame is the only school in that group not to win a National Championship.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »
I sent a email to Buzz yesterday voicing my support to him and the team and got a nice response.  I also sent a email to pilarz (I would be shocked if I got a response) and voiced the same.  Nothing wrong with letting the donations director and the Admin/Pres know if you support Buzz and how much losing him could move us back when we are just getting the ball rolling on moving forward.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
Interesting that Notre Dame is the only school in that group not to win a National Championship.

... and how many final fours?  1 (1978)?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »
Yes, but I have to think that a new Gopher practice facility is on the immediate horizon for MN. I assume that is brought up during the interview process...

But then again, nobody is taking the job, so maybe there isn't a new practice facility coming.  :-\

Are you kidding? That's not happening, unless they receive a donation. $300 million to Target field, $450 (right now, "gaming" income is at 10% of estimates) for the vikings stadium and you think tax payers will agree to a practice facility? They are still paying tubby and brewster...and if Kill is their guy they'll have to bump his pay as well. It's a terrible job. Typical delusional MN fans.

If they start paying players and doing school work for players again maybe they'll attract some talent.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Are you kidding? That's not happening, unless they receive a donation. $300 million to Target field, $450 (right now, "gaming" income is at 10% of estimates) for the vikings stadium and you think tax payers will agree to a practice facility? They are still paying tubby and brewster...and if Kill is their guy they'll have to bump his pay as well. It's a terrible job. Typical delusional MN fans.

If they start paying players and doing school work for players again maybe they'll attract some talent.

The state isn't going to build them a facility.

T. Denny has some deep pockets if the U can convince him that a new practice facility would make them competitive.

It's not a terrible job if they can get the infrastructure in order and hire the right coach.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
I sent a email to Buzz yesterday voicing my support to him and the team and got a nice response.  I also sent a email to pilarz (I would be shocked if I got a response) and voiced the same.  Nothing wrong with letting the donations director and the Admin/Pres know if you support Buzz and how much losing him could move us back when we are just getting the ball rolling on moving forward.

Isn't it a little early for the Scoop email campaign?

San Diego Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
I wonder if young Pitino might be more interested in Rutgers at this point.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
I wonder if young Pitino might be more interested in Rutgers at this point.

Rutgers .... where promising coaching careers go to die.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
Andy Katz says Minnesota is close to a deal with Little Rick.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
That would be good, then hopefully we can wrap up this years version of the coaching carousel.  Plus, maybe he can keep all the good Minny players from going to Madison.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
Pulled straight from Richie's wikipedia page...

Richard Pitino left his position as the assistant coach at Louisville to become the head coach at FIU on April 15, 2012. Then April 3rd, 2013 the Minnesota Gophers settle on this chump and hire him to be the head coach after Norwood Teague screwed up the hiring of Flip Saunders. This is going to be a train wreck.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
Twitter word is saying it's Richard Pitino.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
Buzz to Florida International!!!!  :'(
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »

I hope you BING imaged searched for this image on a work computer

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
Jesus...Richard Pitino...I mean the guy only got his previous jobs because his dad let him be an assistant at Lousiville and then Donovan let him glom on at Florida.  I mean, I get Tubby didn't live up to his high contract, but c'mon.  What a freaking joke.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:24:06 PM by CAGASS24 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
Jesus...Richard Pitino...I mean the guy only got his previous jobs because his dad let him be an assistant at Prov and Lousiville and then Donovan let him glom on at Florida.  I mean, I get Tubby didn't live up to his high contract, but c'mon.  What a freaking joke.

Think about it: Minnesota and UCLA dumped proven winners to hire two schlubs. Talk about getting what you deserve.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson