collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Steve Alford new UCLA coach.  (Read 24473 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: UCLA coach
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
I think the danger here, though I understand it, is to say Howland traded for Alford.  In talking to the UCLA guys I know in their department, Ben was going to get fired even if they made the Sweet 16.  It would have been ballsy, but that was the deal.

The issue has never been that he isn't a solid coach, the issue is the California talent, specifically the HS and AAU coaches don't want their guys playing for him.   So UCLA made the decision they were going to cut bait and they wanted someone in there that could again get the talent from the area.  Is Alford the right guy?  Who knows.  What they had concluded was Ben was no longer the right guy and he was gone regardless.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
Either way you must admit Chicos for all of the talk of the administration trying to "clean up" things this hire seems a bit strange.  Alford has a bit of a checkered past at Iowa.

Yup, don't disagree with you at all.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 12:08:34 PM »

Oh my goodness...are you kidding?

It has been 14 years since he has been in the S16...and you think that's just because the tournament is a crapshoot?  Are you Alford's agent or something?

EDIT:  And this is so classic Chicos....trolling me with the "lucky" angle.  Not biting dude.  Go seek your attention elsewhere.

LOL.  I'm not trolling anything.  You are in the 2% if you don't think we got lucky.  Most sportswriters out there has said the same thing.  It's ok.  It really is, ok, to be lucky every once and awhile to win a game. I know you think we "executed" them throwing the ball away, and executed not fouling a guy when Buzz was screaming for us to foul and executed the clock stoppage so the refs could give us a free timeout ...I realize that was all executed.   :D 

It's ok...there's a reason why most sportswriters and fans said MU got lucky, Davidson "fell apart, choked, etc" or the politically correct "Marquette is very fortunate to have won that game" (fortunate is today's PC version of lucky).  It's ok.  You take it.

As for Alford, we'll find out in a number of years.  It will be fun to revisit this thread, one way or another.  Personally, I have no idea.  I think UCLA could have done better, but only the future tells the story.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
I think the danger here, though I understand it, is to say Howland traded for Alford.  In talking to the UCLA guys I know in their department, Ben was going to get fired even if they made the Sweet 16.  It would have been ballsy, but that was the deal.

The issue has never been that he isn't a solid coach, the issue is the California talent, specifically the HS and AAU coaches don't want their guys playing for him.   So UCLA made the decision they were going to cut bait and they wanted someone in there that could again get the talent from the area.  Is Alford the right guy?  Who knows.  What they had concluded was Ben was no longer the right guy and he was gone regardless.
Conclusion:  The UCLA athletic department caved to a bunch of pseudo pimps.  Nice work.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »
He's just pissy cause his 3rd favorite team is the one that is left.

Hardly, my favorite team is left.  Nothing at all to be pissy about.  Marquette flag flying outside the house right now (I don't own a IU or KU flag).  MU t-shirt and hat on, about to go to my son's game and will be sitting in my MU chair.  Office is filled with MU stuff, not a single IU or KU piece of memorabilia.  It isn't close.  Nice try, though.   ;)

Edit:  My son after his game today...exhausted, but sitting in his favorite and my favorite chair.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:39:57 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Conclusion:  The UCLA athletic department caved to a bunch of pseudo pimps.  Nice work.

You may be right, but considering what had happened there the last 4 years and their struggles, that's the decision they made.  I don't know if I would characterize HS coaches at pseudo pimps, or even all AAU coaches, but it's the nature of the beast.  Slimy, to be sure.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »

It's a smart move if you can't attract talent.  One of the primary functions of a head coach is to recruit and if he can't do that because of burning relationships, then he isn't doing his job.  This is one reason why i am happy that Buzz builds relationships.  Relationships lead to recruits, recruits lead to wins.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »
If you want a scary thought, one UCLA guy I spoke to said Barnes was on the list.  They were trying to see if he wanted out because of being on the "hot seat" even though they have gone to the NCAAs something crazy under him. 

Imagine the panic here this morning if UCLA had hired Barnes.

For the record, did not say whether Barnes was interested or if he was even contacted.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »
If you want a scary thought, one UCLA guy I spoke to said Barnes was on the list.  They were trying to see if he wanted out because of being on the "hot seat" even though they have gone to the NCAAs something crazy under him. 

Imagine the panic here this morning if UCLA had hired Barnes.

For the record, did not say whether Barnes was interested or if he was even contacted.

I might've lost it if that happened.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »

Oh my goodness...are you kidding?

It has been 14 years since he has been in the S16...and you think that's just because the tournament is a crapshoot?  Are you Alford's agent or something?

EDIT:  And this is so classic Chicos....trolling me with the "lucky" angle.  Not biting dude.  Go seek your attention elsewhere.
agreed, stupid comment by chicos...no one argues that there isn't a great deal of luck in the ncaa tourney, but by that logic, to be consistently unlucky says a great deal about a coach...to be consistently lucky must mean something as well. 

i get the "lucky" argument pertaining to a FGCU situation, but not to a coach who has been in the tourney multiple times without being able to live up to their seeding.   

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Steve Alford new UCLA coach.
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
Tough job, UCLA is not for everyone. Lots of glory, lots of crap.

Bring in Aaron Gordon, have a great 2013-14 and a year from now people would be praising this hire.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »
agreed, stupid comment by chicos...no one argues that there isn't a great deal of luck in the ncaa tourney, but by that logic, to be consistently unlucky says a great deal about a coach...to be consistently lucky must mean something as well. 

i get the "lucky" argument pertaining to a FGCU situation, but not to a coach who has been in the tourney multiple times without being able to live up to their seeding.   

Then take it up with most sport writers.  Not stupid at all.  We got lucky to win that game...and that is ok.

Even Buzz said so...I guess buzz made a stupid comment.  LOL

Mike Deane

• Starter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Alford to UCLA
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »
So this clears the way for Buzz to MN!

Seriously, didn't Alford just sign an extension and then he left.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »
It's very telling that they didn't even try to pursue Buzz.  Things keep turning up warrior.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
Alford signed a ten year deal the Wednesday before NM lost to Harvard.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »
Apparently, his 10 year extension didn't go into effect until Monday.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
It's very telling that they didn't even try to pursue Buzz.  Things keep turning up warrior.

Wasn't there something about an insanely high buyout with the exception of a few schools for Buzz.  I may be remembering something else, but I thought there was something like this talked about last year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
Help me .... How is Alford an upgrade over Howland?

I don't see it.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
Luck plays a role on almost all of these one or two possession games.  That said, it is also true that good luck is made. At the intersection of opportunity and preparation.  Favorite coach's phrase, and it is true in all things. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
Help me .... How is Alford an upgrade over Howland?

I don't see it.

AAU and HS coaches in California didn't want their kids playing for Howland any more.  If you can't get the talent, then you have to go.  He may not be an upgrade, but he's got a fighter's chance to get the recruits that the coaches out here no longer wanted to play for Howland (or stick around and thus transfer).

That's the thinking anyway.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
Luck plays a role on almost all of these one or two possession games.  That said, it is also true that good luck is made. At the intersection of opportunity and preparation.  Favorite coach's phrase, and it is true in all things. 

I don't disagree with that.  Though there are some sporting events where you just close your eyes, politely thank God and realize you got one.  Mets against Red Sox, MU vs Davidson, etc.  No shame in it.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
Apparently, his 10 year extension didn't go into effect until Monday.

That is correct.  Deal was not signed, just announced.  My bad.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
AAU and HS coaches in California didn't want their kids playing for Howland any more.  If you can't get the talent, then you have to go.  He may not be an upgrade, but he's got a fighter's chance to get the recruits that the coaches out here no longer wanted to play for Howland (or stick around and thus transfer).

That's the thinking anyway.

Howland coudn't get talent?

UCLA signed 4 top 100 recruits last season, including #2 and #5.

Not to mention...Kevin Love. Russell Westbrook. Jrue Holiday.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »
Howland coudn't get talent?

UCLA signed 4 top 100 recruits last season, including #2 and #5.

Not to mention...Kevin Love. Russell Westbrook. Jrue Holiday.

Love, Holiday, Westbrook all long ago.  Massive transfers the last few years. Parker threatening to transfer two weeks ago.  Anderson also pondering a transfer or jumping to NBA.  Already lost Smith to a transfer earlier this year.

The recent class he signed, most are not from California and most wanted to leave or are leaving. 

feedback