[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Inbounding the ball question?  (Read 2199 times)

El Duderino

• Team Captain
Inbounding the ball question?
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
Something has been driving me crazy for awhile now in basketball and i just can't figure it out. This year it's been especially gruesome between Marquette, Wisconsin, and other college/pro games.

Why is it that so often late in 1-2 possession games with a team holding a slim lead does the guy inbounding the ball make a very risky pass out of fear of a 5 second call, even when their team has timeouts left?

It happens all of the time. You can see the player inbounding the ball starting to panic as a 5 second call might be getting close and nobody is clearly open, yet instead of using one of his timeouts, he'll make some high risk pass that either leads to a very costly turnover or just misses being a turnover. If it's a team i'm cheering for like say Marquette, Wisconsin, or the Bucks, i'll be yelling at the TV to call timeout as i can just see the turnover coming. It nearly cost Marquette a Sweet 16 berth yesterday even though they had 3 timeouts left and that wasn't the first time. It's happened to Wisconsin multiple times this year and the Bucks also late in games with timeouts left.

I gotta assume that the coaches always let the players know how many timeouts the team has left, so i just don't get why this happens so often? It baffles me to no end.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Inbounding the ball question?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
Something has been driving me crazy for awhile now in basketball and i just can't figure it out. This year it's been especially gruesome between Marquette, Wisconsin, and other college/pro games.

Why is it that so often late in 1-2 possession games with a team holding a slim lead does the guy inbounding the ball make a very risky pass out of fear of a 5 second call, even when their team has timeouts left?

It happens all of the time. You can see the player inbounding the ball starting to panic as a 5 second call might be getting close and nobody is clearly open, yet instead of using one of his timeouts, he'll make some high risk pass that either leads to a very costly turnover or just misses being a turnover. If it's a team i'm cheering for like say Marquette, Wisconsin, or the Bucks, i'll be yelling at the TV to call timeout as i can just see the turnover coming. It nearly cost Marquette a Sweet 16 berth yesterday even though they had 3 timeouts left and that wasn't the first time. It's happened to Wisconsin multiple times this year and the Bucks also late in games with timeouts left.

I gotta assume that the coaches always let the players know how many timeouts the team has left, so i just don't get why this happens so often? It baffles me to no end.

Great question 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
If it's a team i'm cheering for like say Marquette, Wisconsin, or the Bucks.....

Turn in your Warrior card Dude....you can't cheer for Wisconsin.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »

No question, coaches are letting players know how many timeouts they have left. Why does it happen?

Pretty simple, the in-bounder job is to get the ball in. What you are seeing are guys that are singularly focused on making that happen. Their attention is completely on the task at hand, not looking at the overall situation. The in-bounder wants to make a play, that mentality can unfortunately led to risky decisions, especially in pressure situations.

To add to that, your bench is on the other end of the floor, so having the coach call a timeout can be difficult.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
Turn in your Warrior card Dude....you can't cheer for Wisconsin.

Hey, i'm not a Marquette or Wisconsin alum, so i thankfully have no reason to hate either team, just like my friends who also get to cheer for both.

That said, i do live here in Milwaukee so i am a bigger Marquette fan and when the two teams do play, i pull for MU. Other than when they play each other though, i cheer for the Badgers to win even as their style of play can be painful on the eyes some games when scoring just 50 points looks like an epic chore.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »
i'm cheering for like say Marquette, Wisconsin,

WTF,O??

Death on call

feedback