[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Team Arrival..  (Read 9519 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Team back at Al at 1:30am
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
What I don't understand is .. if the plane was a MU charter (obviously) .. why was Buzz unhappy about not being able to go back to the hotel due to the NCAA? 

Maybe the NCAA pays for the hotel, but not any "extra" nights..

NCAA doesn't pay for the hotel, you have to go home after the game win or lose.

Also, I think Buzz is irritated not knowing when they play next, which has to do with TV times and audiences and money.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Team Arrival..
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

Also, I think Buzz is irritated not knowing when they play next, which has to do with TV times and audiences and money.

Sorry, but that wouldn't make sense.  If you are paying for the hotel, there's no law that says, thou shalt not stay the night in Lexington.    If there's an NCAA regulation that says that, well, it's pretty strange.   I imagine the hotel would take MU's money.

He was irritated at both things, having to leave, and not knowing the time on Thurs.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
I think it's not about paying for the hotel, it's about time away from "school" and practice time etc that the NCAA dictates and precludes staying an extra night.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
Sorry, but that wouldn't make sense.  If you are paying for the hotel, there's no law that says, thou shalt not stay the night in Lexington.    If there's an NCAA regulation that says that, well, it's pretty strange.   I imagine the hotel would take MU's money.

He was irritated at both things, having to leave, and not knowing the time on Thurs.

The hotel taking Marquette's money doesn't mean the players could stay there. It could be viewed as an improper benefit by the NCAA. Let's be honest, if they have a problem with certain bagel spreads, they could probably give the death penalty for putting up an entire team in a hotel against NCAA rules.

I'd think every player would have to pay their own way at the hotel, and depending on where they are put up, that could be pretty pricey for some of the families.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
What I don't understand is .. if the plane was a MU charter (obviously) .. why was Buzz unhappy about not being able to go back to the hotel due to the NCAA? 

Maybe the NCAA pays for the hotel, but not any "extra" nights..

Plane might have been arranged by MU but during tourney is paid for by NCAA. Nevertheless, you're correct... NCAA doesn't pay for extra nights.  Very few teams stay over night during the regular season (when they control their own travel schedules) to begin with so it's not an unorthodoxed move for the NCAA to do it in the tourney.

Buzz was upset most likely because he was exhausted but also because he probably didn't know if Corey was cleared to fly home.  If my wife was ill, I'd be lobbying for discretion to stay another night, too.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
Plane might have been arranged by MU but during tourney is paid for by NCAA. Nevertheless, you're correct... NCAA doesn't pay for extra nights.  Very few teams stay over night during the regular season (when they control their own travel schedules) to begin with so it's not an unorthodoxed move for the NCAA to do it in the tourney.

Buzz was upset most likely because he was exhausted but also because he probably didn't know if Corey was cleared to fly home.  If my wife was ill, I'd be lobbying for discretion to stay another night, too.

+1

I thought the same thing ... Buzz looked emotionally bankrupt and was not interested in boarding a plane (even a charter) to land at 1:30 in the morning.  His wife was in the hospital and his two sons were probably running around Rupp arena eating sugary things and off their schedule.

... and we ask why Buzz wanted to take a 10 minute ride to his hotel and lay down????

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
NCAA has lots of crazy rules. No cream cheese on bagels, no color media guides, etc.

Although I think I heard they changed the media guide rule.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »
Sorry, these arguments don't make sense.

As said above, MU paid for their own hotel.  MU paid for their own charter flight.   As occurs in the regular season, sometimes teams stay overnight after a game.  Heck, most teams (think all of NCAA, not just D1 MBB) fly commercial and are at the mercy of the commercial airline schedule.

Don't know where anyone would think the entire team spending the night is anywhere in the same area code as "improper benefit" and that somehow the students would need to pay for the hotel themselves.  The team sets the travel schedule.  Sure, if one player wanted to stay behind and do some sight-seeing, ok, they'd likely need to pay for that themselves.

The only item no one knows for certain is if the NCAA has a "you must leave the city after your game" rule.  Maybe it exists, but in this thread, it's pure conjecture.   When you think about a rule like that, it makes zero sense:   There certainly are teams that fly commercial flights to the NCAAs, not everyone has the bucks to blow on a charter.  They can't be breaking the rules when the next flight they can actually catch is the next morning, so they stay the night. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »

NCAA covers all travel expenses for the "official travel party" (i.e. players and coaches, mostly) during the tourney.  The hotel in Lexington was paid by the NCAA.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
NCAA covers all travel expenses for the "official travel party" (i.e. players and coaches, mostly) during the tourney.  The hotel in Lexington was paid by the NCAA.

Does anyone know if they pay for the pep band and the spirit squad, too, and is there a limit?  I happened to notice last night that all of the teams had exactly twelve members of their spirit squad in various combinations (Louisville had six cheerleaders and six dance team members, we had eight cheerleaders and four dancers, and Butler and Co State each had twelve cheerleaders).  Also, all of the pep bands seemed to have the same number of members, and ours was considerably smaller than it is at the BC.
Have some patience, FFS.

MeghanMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »
Yes, they pay for both.  They pay for travel, and hotel.  In my day (99-03), we also got $20/day stipend to eat.  Not sure if the food stipend was from the university or the NCAA.  The band was limited to 30 students and one conductor, if I recall.  The band/ cheer/ spirit squad all traveled together when I was there. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »
NCAA has lots of crazy rules. No cream cheese on bagels, no color media guides, etc.

Although I think I heard they changed the media guide rule.

And the bagel spread rule.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
There was a cheerleader/dance team/mascot limit when I was there. Not everyone got to go.

feedback