collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: When does the Crean legacy fade away?  (Read 5344 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: When does the Crean legacy fade away?
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
Chicos, you don't get it. This is not about how Crean left Marquette, even though that was outrageous in its own right. This is about how that guy treats people. He is a user and his general approach is to crap on everyone unless he sees something in you that he can use to his advantage. The Jeff Meyer Incident is classic Crean. That had nothing to do with Meyer but everything to do with Crean.

Leadership is simple. Take care of your people. That is the job description for an Air Force Squadron Commander. It says nothing about flying jets, dropping bombs, winning wars. It says take care of your people. You have been given this authority because you are responsible for taking care of your men and women.

Problem with Tanned Tommy is he sees authority and power as his due and the people exist to take care of him. Huge difference. And unless you can see that then you will never understand the disdain in which many hold Crean.  

Perfectly stated.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »
Absolutely agreed.  Of course, this is also part and parcel with many blue blood programs.  Look how many people hate Coach K, Roy Williams, Bill Bellichek, Bob Knight, Coach Cal, etc, etc.  Doucheness is often attached to many successful people, CEOs, coaches, etc.  
speak for yourself... I don't consider anyone on that list to be much of a douche but I'm sure others disagree.

I think the broad brush is getting a bit old with this topic.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
Disagree.  Immature fans hate Roy Williams...people with emotional issues.  Roy did a lot for KU.  Some people can't get over the fact that people leave jobs, schools, etc.  Butt hurt is strong with some people....mostly on message boards.   ;)

This really isn't disputing the fact that Kansas fans still hate Roy. KU fans are not better than others and create irrational hatred towards things all the time. If you have numerous Facebook friends who are KU and Missouri fans, you may understand.

Kansas fans are still bitter a being dumped and wish no type of success for Roy, even though they know they got a better coach out of the deal. hmm...sounds familiar.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:07:45 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
Being a douche and being a successful coach are two different things.  I don't defend his doucheness, in fact I have condemned it often.  I defend what he has accomplished at MU and IU in terms of basketball, especially when people just make garbage up or have no facts.  Plenty of douche CEOs, coaches, etc, but they still are amazingly successful.  There's a difference.   So yes, seriously.  Your guy in the WH, douche, but you still defend him..right?

So me defending Obama (actually, I never did.) in PMs with you is the same as you defending Tom Crean for at least an hour or two out of your day, everyday?  

Right.

You are hilarious.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
All of our coaches have left a legacy and are remembered for their time here. The anti TC theme will last as long as the pro Al theme has lived. Us old guys will brag, enhance and gloat over the Al years until we die and when last one left here dies the Al legacy dies to some degree. Unfortunately for Tommy boy there are a lot of under 30 year olds out here that hate him and he will be raked across the coals longer than Al will be praised.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
He retired.  Didn't resume his career until a few years later.

Look, a big part of this is what happens next...how much of a threat is the guy.  KO was a douche, acted like a douche, left like a douche, but he flamed out hard...he was no threat.  TC was a douche, acted like a douche, left like a douche, but he's a threat (both real and in the emotional imaginations from some here).  He gets good recruits (some that we go after), he's in the Midwest, he had success after MU despite predictions to the contrary. 

When a coach leaves and bombs elsewhere, they become accepted, it's ok, water under the bridge.  If they have success again a decade or two later, well good for them.  If TC left and pulled a KO and bombed for the next 15 years, there wouldn't be near the animosity.

Disagree. My feelings toward TC were the same when he was failing as they are now when he's succeeding. He's a miserable human being and I'm grateful he's no longer the face of Marquette University.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
All of our coaches have left a legacy and are remembered for their time here. The anti TC theme will last as long as the pro Al theme has lived. Us old guys will brag, enhance and gloat over the Al years until we die and when last one left here dies the Al legacy dies to some degree. Unfortunately for Tommy boy there are a lot of under 30 year olds out here that hate him and he will be raked across the coals longer than Al will be praised.
again speak for yourself. Under 30 and no longer really think about TC unless he's popping up on my tv screaming at assistant coaches after games, etc.

Way more excited about Buzz and MU
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
Question: what is there to be upset about TC for? He helped build our program to better than he found it, he hired Buzz and then he LEFT. All of those things are the things any university would want TC to do there!

If I could choose to do it again, I'd have it happen the same way.

What is there to be bummed about?

And what's wrong with making fun of a goofy guy running around screaming at people and bragging about his inlaws? Enjoy the good fun!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
sixstring

What the fxck are you talking about? Speak for myself? I could go the rest of my life and never discuss TC again. I am not a lover or a hater of TC. My post was answer to question posed in the thread headline.

feedback