[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette on Front Page of SI.com as likely upset victim  (Read 10547 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Marquette on Front Page of SI.com as likely upset victim
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »
No. 14 Davidson over No. 3 Marquette

The feeling coming out of the Big East tournament is that after Louisville, there's a long drop in the caliber of the top teams in the league. Marquette coach Buzz Williams squeezed what he could out of this team, but after looking lifeless against Notre Dame in New York it's reasonable to surmise the Golden Eagles won't make a long run. Away from the Bradley Center, Marquette has been mediocre. Davidson has NCAA tournament experience, an elite coach in Bob McKillop and two stars in Jake Cohen and De'Mon Brooks who are capable of a Steph Curry-type game. With Marquette not a long-term threat, this is a worthy upset play for your pool.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130318/ncaa-tournament-upsets/#ixzz2NzJfD0cc
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
Re: Marquette on Front Page of SI.com as likely upset victim
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:26 AM »
Oh man, unlike Davidson, MU doesn't have NCAA Experience or an "elite" coach.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:09:25 AM »
Oh man, unlike Davidson, MU doesn't have NCAA Experience or an "elite" coach.

Man, first we had to fight off the "legendary" Stew Morrill, now the "elite" Bob McKillop. 

Honestly if you google up pre-game articles from BYU last year, they were saying much of the same things.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
Different year. Same crap. I'm done commenting on this garbage.

Clearly, MU doesn't have a chance on Thursday.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »
I think I am going to take my afternoon off, get drunk and watch soap operas instead.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »
From the same Pete Thamel that wants to Bludgeon the C7 before the new Big East even starts.  The same Pete Thamel that brought us the infamous Manti Teo story.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206734/index.htm?eref=sisf

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
Motivation.  diss us some more.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »
They have to write about something (or simply find and replace). It took me about 2 minutes to find the following from last year. Not only is it essentially the same people writing the same articles, they're writing them about the same teams...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1100166-ncaa-bracket-2012-most-likely-cinderellas-of-march-madness

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/tcmen12seedsupsets/belmont-davidson-long-beach-state-poised-pull-ncaa-tournament-upsets-year-upset-brackets

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17789313/our-team-of-writers-pick-the-four-most-likely-upsets-of-the-round-of-64

I'm sure Davidson has a nice team (as does Belmont, Bucknell, etc.), and they have a reasonable chance of winning on Thursday, but none of it means a damn thing. Here's all the analysis that is necessary, Marquette is either going to win, or they're going got lose. That's it. Seeds, sites, conference tournaments...none of that matters anymore. These games will come down to who has the better team, and/or who has the better day. upsets make the tournament exciting and interesting, and people are going to write about it...and write about it, and write about it.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
but they have the nations longest win streak (17 games)  against the powers of Elon, Wofford, Furman and the Citadel...

be very scared...

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
What did SI say that wasn't true?
We Are Marquette

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
So there is this 'thing' called the SI Cover curse.....but in this case MU is on the cover as a 'upset' victim.....so would that then create a double negative thereby negating the SI "curse"......here's hoping

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
If you're Davidson do you like all this attention?

I know at the end of the day they're still the 14 seed, but it almost seems like there's just a little bit of pressure or expectations on them with all the attention they're getting.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »
put all of it on the bulletin board. buzz is way more successful when his teams play with a chip. i'm fine with all of it if it lights a fire under the team.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »
If you're Davidson do you like all this attention?

I know at the end of the day they're still the 14 seed, but it almost seems like there's just a little bit of pressure or expectations on them with all the attention they're getting.

I would guess there is as much impact on them from all this (positive or negative) as there is on Marquette...little or none.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »

I *highly* doubt that their stars are Steph Curry-esque, for example.  If they were, Davidson wouldn't have had 6 non-conference losses.

On that note, their "stars" shoot 39 and 20 percent respectively from 3.  Anyone know what Curry shot from downtown his final year at Davidson?

Also:

"Davidson has NCAA tournament experience"

Yeah, ONE game last year.  While not untrue, it is somewhat misleading to the average reader who may think that they're perennially good.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
Man, first we had to fight off the "legendary" Stew Morrill, now the "elite" Bob McKillop. 

Honestly if you google up pre-game articles from BYU last year, they were saying much of the same things.

BYU was the first team I thought of when they announced Davidson as the opponent. MU should be very familiar with this type of first round "threat".

Should also mention that these media "experts" point to MU's lifeless performance in the Garden as an indicator they'll be upset without including that MU has reached the Sweet Sixteen the last two years after complete flameouts in the Garden.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
I *highly* doubt that their stars are Steph Curry-esque, for example.  If they were, Davidson wouldn't have had 6 non-conference losses.

On that note, their "stars" shoot 39 and 20 percent respectively from 3.  Anyone know what Curry shot from downtown his final year at Davidson?

Also:

"Davidson has NCAA tournament experience"

Yeah, ONE game last year.  While not untrue, it is somewhat misleading to the average reader who may think that they're perennially good.

In '08, when they made the Elite 8 run, Curry shot 43.9% from 3 and averaged 26 pts a game.  His percentages dipped his senior year after the talent around him decreased a bit.  On this year's Davidson team, their best 3 point shooter by percentage, Cohen, shoots 38.7%, but on less than 3 attempts per game.  To compare, Curry took 369 3 pointers in '08 in 36 games... or OVER 10 TIMES A FREAKING GAME; still making it at a higher than 40% clip.  No one on their current roster touches the level of talent that Curry had.  It's easy to say that someone has the potential to get hot; anyone has the potential to get hot.  But its not accurate to compare their current shooters to one of the best 3 point threats since the 3 pointer became a thing.

For an MU point of reference, in Novak's senior year, he shot 46.7% from 3, and averaged 17.5 on a little over 8 3's a game.  

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
BYU was the first team I thought of when they announced Davidson as the opponent. MU should be very familiar with this type of first round "threat".

Should also mention that these media "experts" point to MU's lifeless performance in the Garden as an indicator they'll be upset without including that MU has reached the Sweet Sixteen the last two years after complete flameouts in the Garden.

Lazy journalism... welcome to America.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »

I'll start here:

"two stars in Jake Cohen and De'Mon Brooks who are capable of a Steph Curry-type game"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »

I'm hoping we perform a little better against McKillop than Morrill.  We won that game by 1 point...I'd like a bit more breathing room.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
I'll start here:

"two stars in Jake Cohen and De'Mon Brooks who are capable of a Steph Curry-type game"

Not to mention that Curry is an NBA player that averages 22 ppg.  I don't think either Cohen or Brooks are quite at that level.  I wish they would just stop the hyperbole.  They very well could beat MU, but it won't be because either of these players goes off for a Curry-like performance.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
But its not accurate to compare their current shooters to one of the best 3 point threats since the 3 pointer became a thing.

Exactly my point, which is why I was curious about Steph's last year at Davidson.  Can't be capable of a "Steph Curry-type game" if you don't shoot the long ball.
Relax. Respect the Process.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
I'm hoping we perform a little better against McKillop than Morrill.  We won that game by 1 point...I'd like a bit more breathing room.

Only because The Legend couldn't drag his good-hearted traditionals across the finish line.  Coaching can only take you so far.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:06:00 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »

Not necessarily what's true/untrue, more that the summary is full of baseless conjecture and innuendo. "It's reasonable to surmise?" That's a euphemism for "take my word for it." What's left out is any attempt to examine Marquette's recent tournament experience; meanwhile, he takes significant liberty by calling McKillop "elite," and playing up Davidson's "experience."

feedback