[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SHU starts new BE on wrong foot  (Read 5479 times)

Eldon

• All American
SHU starts new BE on wrong foot
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/aaron-cosby-to-transfer-from-seton-hall/

Sophmore Aaron Cosby, SHU's 2nd leading scorer (12.6 ppg, 3apg, 2.5rpg), transfers.

They say one of Northwestern's recruits, Sina, could fill the spot after being released from his letter of intent.

I hear so that there's so much upcoming potential with St. John's, Providence, and for the past 20 years, DePaul has been up-and-coming, but I never hear about Hall.  Anybody know what's up with them with respect to their potential in the next couple years?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: SHU starts new BE on wrong foot
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:58:25 PM »
Seton Hall is a dumpster fire. People still don't believe Willard has much time. He can't recruit NJ, his only two recruits for next year are both going to play elsewhere eventually (Carr in Europe; Wilbut likely JUCO), just lost his best returning player, and doesn't do much for the alumni.

As for Sina, he's not a transformative recruit. Coach's kid who plays heady the PG spot but needs talent around him to excel. Not sure the Hall can provide that the next two seasons.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »
Need to put the new television dollars right back into the program.  And a good chunk to buy a coach.  Willard is further down on their list of problems, but they need someone who can build a program out of nothing rather than making the best of what they've got going.  After SHU's been stuck in a space between the middle of the pack and the cellar dwellers for almost our entire time in the BE, it now looks like they've shown some movement, but in the wrong direction and hit bottom. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
SHU just extended Willard through 2020.  That's the epitome of a dumpster fire right there.

I just got back from the BET.  I was there for every game on Thursday.

By my eyes, Cuse led the way with an incredible amount of fans, UL was second.  There was a gap then before 3rd place could have gone to Gtown or Pitt.  MU was solid.  The rest seemed negligible.   Now of course Cuse and UL were motivated to come.  They're stuck in Greensboro next year but I'm worried about the level of commitment of the C7.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 06:53:50 AM »
SHU just extended Willard through 2020.  That's the epitome of a dumpster fire right there.

By my eyes, Cuse led the way with an incredible amount of fans, UL was second.  There was a gap then before 3rd place could have gone to Gtown or Pitt.  MU was solid.  The rest seemed negligible.   Now of course Cuse and UL were motivated to come.  They're stuck in Greensboro next year but I'm worried about the level of commitment of the C7.

The order you listed fan support is essentially the same as the size of the alumni base adjusted for he distance of the school to MSG (hopefully this makes sense)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:55:28 AM »
Wow!  Surprised Willard got an extension.  My Seton Hall alum friend thought Willard had one more year to show progress in the "new" Big East.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:23:30 AM »
Wow!  Surprised Willard got an extension.  My Seton Hall alum friend thought Willard had one more year to show progress in the "new" Big East.

Was that made official by SHU? I saw that Willard denied that he got an extension.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:52 AM »
Need to put the new television dollars right back into the program.  And a good chunk to buy a coach.  Willard is further down on their list of problems, but they need someone who can build a program out of nothing rather than making the best of what they've got going.  After SHU's been stuck in a space between the middle of the pack and the cellar dwellers for almost our entire time in the BE, it now looks like they've shown some movement, but in the wrong direction and hit bottom. 

They probably want Dan Hurley to come back to coach there but he's going to need a couple years at URI to show progress there.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »

They probably want Dan Hurley to come back to coach there but he's going to need a couple years at URI to show progress there.

Like a bad baseball team whose good prospects are all still in A ball.  Maybe in a few years they'll compete, but probably not.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
Is there any chance Carr qualifies and decides to play for Hall next year? Don't think he can make them good, but at least he'd be entertaining.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
Maybe I had that wrong, I know Pitino commented how well deserved it was.  

With respect to Cuse, UL & Pitt.  Yes they certainly showed up bc of size and proximity (and maybe last hurrah) but who fills that void?  Butler has a very small base, X maybe a little bit bigger.  Creighton could be a school that takes over NYC, they are the one team that seems to have community wide support.  Husker hoops is such a disaster.  Creighton almost seems like the defacto NBA team there.  We need to keep filling that building.    
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ATLmarquettefan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
Is there any chance Carr qualifies and decides to play for Hall next year? Don't think he can make them good, but at least he'd be entertaining.

Carr announced this weekend he's playing oversees.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »

99% no. Carr has tweeted he's going to Europe because you "can't pass up the $$$" when offered (though he did turn down a Europe offer last summer).

Still haven't touched on Carr's criminal and academic issues not to mention that their second recruit Wilbut was arrested and accused of a robbery by gunpoint just two weeks ago. It should also speak to Wilbut's talent that I don't think he's been mentioned once in this forum even though he plays at St. John's Military.

As for Willard extension it was leaked but never acknowledged by Willard and/or Seton Hall which, in and of itself, should speak to its relevance.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
http://www.southorangejuice.com/2013/3/19/4123478/seton-halls-non-conference-scheduling-cheat-sheet

This guy says that a big part of it is SOS

What is most alarming is that Seton Hall's non-conference strength of schedule has taken a nose dive since Kevin Willard's arrival. It started at 101 in 2011, fell to 256 last season, and continued its downward trend by finishing at 318 this season (KenPom SOS). This trend follows the public declaration from Kevin Willard that he would aim to create an easier non-conference schedule than the one he dealt with in his first season at Seton Hall (2011, #101.) So far, he has succeed to this end.....

....Even with all of the above data in hand, the old adage of "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" comes into play. Either the Seton Hall staff doesn't fully understand how to schedule (doubtful), or they just prefer an unproductive cakewalk in November and December that does little to further the program. If there is a third possibility, I'm unaware of it and am open to any and all suggestions.

I also spent some time rummaging through the SHU board and this guy is terrible.  I sincerely hope that he is not around til 2020
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:32:48 PM by ElDonBDon »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »
I also spent some time rummaging through the SHU board and this guy is terrible.  I sincerely hope that he is not around til 2020

Well, every conference needs some bottom feeders. With that said, I do think it is important that all teams in the new Big East schedule well during the non-conference. That will be critically important when comes to conference RPI and in turn, potential at-large NCAA bids.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »

Stability helps though, Hard to gain any traction when you keep having to build from scratch every 3 years. Got to give a coach 5-6 years to dig out of a hole that big.

How long did it take Cronin?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
318 OOC SOS, don't make any postseason, hurt your league's RPI, don't create excitement because players and fans won't experience any interesting games..do they even make money on all those buy games when six people show up?  

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Maybe I had that wrong, I know Pitino commented how well deserved it was.  

With respect to Cuse, UL & Pitt.  Yes they certainly showed up bc of size and proximity (and maybe last hurrah) but who fills that void?  Butler has a very small base, X maybe a little bit bigger.  Creighton could be a school that takes over NYC, they are the one team that seems to have community wide support.  Husker hoops is such a disaster.  Creighton almost seems like the defacto NBA team there.  We need to keep filling that building.  

We need Dayton!  Get those Cavaliers rolling!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:48:16 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
Stability helps though, Hard to gain any traction when you keep having to build from scratch every 3 years. Got to give a coach 5-6 years to dig out of a hole that big.

How long did it take Cronin?

Well, Gonzo was trending up technically regarding record and recruiting but he was/is a massive headcase. The players left behind had some talent but Willard never capitalized as he coached them into the ground and proceeded to think he didn't need to recruit the elite of Jersey basketball.

It's funny you mention Cronin because it seems Willard was trying to emulate Cronin's approach of scheduling terribly in the non-conference to guarantee 13 wins and then hope your team finishes .500 in the Big East and steal a bid.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
It's funny you mention Cronin because it seems Willard was trying to emulate Cronin's approach of scheduling terribly in the non-conference to guarantee 13 wins and then hope your team finishes .500 in the Big East and steal a bid.

Cronin finally changed his scheduling approach this year and just in time. If Cincy had last year's non-conference SOS, his team is either playing in Dayton or more likely, the NIT.

Oliver Purnell schedules the same way. His career winning percentage is built on the backs of sub 200 opponents.