[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 32610 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Texas
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
Chico's

I agree across the board. If UCLA is looking for new coach they have to go big time. Stevens to me is a very good coach with a great feel good story due to back to back NC games. Cannot take that away from him regardless of rest of career. To me he is not a major hire at a school like UCLA. Dixon or Few probably could be sold as such at UCLA.

While I do not think Smart is off the charts name or coach I would definitely agree that MU needed to replace Buzz he should be high on any short list. His resume and being from Wisconsin both are positives.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »
Well, UCLA will go after a huge name which Buzz isn't.  Attendance has suffered, they need to bring in more of those 99 folks and get them excited. 

If Buzz leaves for somewhere, I would love to go after Smart.   He's from Wisconsin...very smart...African American.  I'd go for that hire.   Stevens, of course...though I still think he gets some love that I sometimes laugh at.  Back to back CBI appearances...can you imagine if that happened here, yet he's like the teflon man where that doesn't stick to him.  Those two CBI appearances after back to back national title appearances.  This year, I think they have been very inconsistent.
awful comparison...1. i'll take 2 years in the CBI if it also means 2 years in the ncaa final.  2.  mu should have higher standards than butler. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
awful comparison...1. i'll take 2 years in the CBI if it also means 2 years in the ncaa final.  2.  mu should have higher standards than butler. 

You obviously haven't been following poutrage here over the years when we had the audacity to go to the NIT with our best player injured after the Final Four.  Back to back championship appearances should yield better than back to back CBI appearances and a 5th place finish year 3 in the A-10.  Or so the the poutrage theme goes here.  Especially with John Wooden, I mean Stevens, coaching at Butler.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
You obviously haven't been following poutrage here over the years when we had the audacity to go to the NIT with our best player injured after the Final Four.  Back to back championship appearances should yield better than back to back CBI appearances and a 5th place finish year 3 in the A-10.  Or so the the poutrage theme goes here.  Especially with John Wooden, I mean Stevens, coaching at Butler.

Sweet merciful Christ you're annoying. Pakuni already pointed out you were wrong with the back to back CBI comment -it was only last year, not two in a row. Yet you repeated this brain-dead factually incorrect talking point in an attempt to "win" an argument against no one. Congrats.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
Sweet merciful Christ you're annoying. Pakuni already pointed out you were wrong with the back to back CBI comment -it was only last year, not two in a row. Yet you repeated this brain-dead factually incorrect talking point in an attempt to "win" an argument against no one. Congrats.

My bad...I admit my mistake, something you have not been able to do.

So let me rephrase, coming off back to back final appearances they went to the CBI and then finished 5th in the A-10.  The poutrage theme stands....especially considering how great Stevens is.

I hear Jerry Palm is the worst and everyone knows it.   :'(

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »
Actually, just one CBI appearance.

As for Smart, beyond what you already mentioned, he's young (only 35), charismatic, coaches an exciting style of ball and has a great pedigree (came up under Oliver Purnell and Billy Donovan).
He'd fit in very well in LA.

Thanks my bad on the CBI.  Thanks for the correction.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
My bad...I admit my mistake, something you have not been able to do.

So let me rephrase, coming off back to back final appearances they went to the CBI and then finished 5th in the A-10.  The poutrage theme stands....especially considering how great Stevens is.

I hear Jerry Palm is the worst and everyone knows it.   :'(

I admit them all the time. Said I was dead wrong on Indiana. NBD.  Stil not sure who you're arguing against with this non sequitur rant directed at Brad Stevens. Tilting at windmills mon frere. Not a good look.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
not interested in arguing for the sake of arguing, or so you can rip on some for criticizing too often, while pointing out some aren't criticized enough (all in the same post)...and you now are comparing a FF run to CBI at marquette as being equal to a CBI appearance after back-to-back national championship appearances by butler.

not to mention, stevens is a classy guy, while tc was/is a prick.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2013, 02:05:42 PM »
The year after our final 4, Diener started every game and MU went to the NIT.    Starters were Diener, Novak, Merritt, Sanders and Chapman/Mason. He was hurt in 04-05. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »
The year after our final 4, Diener started every game and MU went to the NIT.    Starters were Diener, Novak, Merritt, Sanders and Chapman/Mason. He was hurt in 04-05. 

Yep. Really no excuses for that team. Some really bad, embarrassing losses for that bunch.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
Texas at Houston in the CBI

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »

Merritt was hurt that year with the shoulder and didn't play particularly well.   Diener was hurt late in the year during the NIT and then again the following year. 

We lost 12 games that year, three of them to ranked teams.  We also beat #4 Louisville twice that season. 

That was the year CUSA sent 6 teams to the NCAA tournament, more than the Big Ten, Pac 10, Big 12 and tied with the Big East, ACC and SEC.  It was a very good conference that year.  That's the biggest reason we didn't make it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament#Bids_by_conference

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
I admit them all the time. Said I was dead wrong on Indiana. NBD.  Stil not sure who you're arguing against with this non sequitur rant directed at Brad Stevens. Tilting at windmills mon frere. Not a good look.

Completely relevant...this just in, teams sometimes miss the NCAA tournament after a Final Four.  Sometimes after back to back championship appearances...or gasp, sometimes after winning the NCAA tournament (see 12 hours ago with Kentucky).

Yet here it was as if it was the first time it had ever happened if you asked some members of this board.  When, in fact, it happens more often than one thinks.  You lose key guys, you have injuries, the conference is different, you have a target on your back, etc, etc.  It has happened to Bob Knight, Denny Crum, Brad Stevens, John Caliprari, Tom Crean, etc, etc. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
Texas at Houston in the CBI

I'm sorry, but this thread isn't isn't about Texas, it's the UCLA's next head coach thread.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.