[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU goes 4-0 on tour  (Read 5800 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] MU goes 4-0 on tour
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:15:31 PM »
MU goes 4-0 on tour

Led by Dominic James' 22 points, the Golden Eagles beat the University of Victoria, 76-65, on Sunday night on Vancouver Island to finish their exhibition trip to The Great White North 4-0.

Having played four games in two days and three in a 24-hour span, MU showed some signs of fatigue in the wrapup, most notably shooting just 38.1% from the floor. It defended well enough to hold Victoria to 38.9% shooting, though, helping to seal the victory.

MU was scheduled to leave Vancouver on Monday morning and return to Milwaukee late Monday night.

Here's a few quick nuggets from the trip:

* According to sports information director Scott Kuykendall, Victoria and Fraser Valley compete in the top collegiate division in Canada, while Douglas would equate to Division II in the United States. MU beat Douglas on Saturday; Douglas beat Division I Boise State, 109-100, on Sunday.

* James had an outstanding trip, averaging team highs of 15.5 points and 6.5 assists over the four games while shooting 49% from the field (25 for 51), 38.9% from three-point range (7 for 18) and 77.8% from the free-throw line (14 for 18). He also had no more than two turnovers in any one game. As far as the shooting stroke, when I spoke to James last week he mentioned he's tweaked his form a bit in that he's no longer jumping as high as he had been. It'll be interesting to see if the consistency carries over.

* James' backup this season, Maurice Acker, dished out an impressive 23 assists to go along with just six turnovers over the four games. That's exactly what MU will be looking for out of the former Ball State standout over the course of the season. He didn't shoot the ball particularly well - 9 for 26 overall and 2 for 8 from beyond the arc - but expect those numbers to improve.

* While James spoke of his shooting form, junior guard Wesley Matthews vowed to be more aggressive this season. He was true to his word on the trip, getting to the free-throw line 25 times in four games - far more than any other MU player. He made 20, leaving him at 80% for the trip. Matthews led MU in free-throw attempts (183) and percentage (77%) last season.

* Freshman guard Scott Christopherson had some productive stints in limited minutes. He yanked down six rebounds in 15 minutes against Victoria and scored 21 points combined against the Moult All-Stars and Fraser Valley, going 8 for 10 from the field and 3 for 5 from three-point range in the process. He was non-existent against Douglas College, though, putting up zeroes across the board in 16 minutes.

* Not surprisingly, MU's shooting percentage went down as the trip progressed. It shot 52.1% and 53.7% in its first two games Saturday, and 47.1% and 38.1% in its final two games Sunday. Aside from allowing the Moult All-Stars to hit 54% in the opener, MU's defense was solid. It gave up 38.3%, 44.4% and 38.9% shooting in its final three games.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2007/09/03/mu-goes-4-0-on-tour.aspx
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:57:50 PM by mu_hilltopper »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU goes 4-0 on tour
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »
* James' backup this season, Maurice Acker, dished out an impressive 23 assists to go along with just six turnovers over the four games. That's exactly what MU will be looking for out of the former Ball State standout over the course of the season. He didn't shoot the ball particularly well - 9 for 26 overall and 2 for 8 from beyond the arc - but expect those numbers to improve.

Go search the posts because this is what I have been saying all along: MoAck is a better PG than DJ. The numbers will improve and with more playing time, he'll outperform DJ.
SS Marquette

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »
Where was McNeal?  I'm pretty sure he played in the first 2, probably 3, but I didn't see his name on the 4th game's box score....or did I just happen to skim over it? ???

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
nope, McNeal not listed at all in 4th game. Even if he didn't get in, isn't the whole team usually listed w/ zeros across the board if no PT is registered?  Nothing mentioned on an injury and he did play 22 minutes in game three so idk. I'm not going to speculate on it. We'll see if any news is made of it in the coming days

P.S. anyone know why we had different jerseys worn on Day 2 to compared to the open practice jerseys that were worn on Day 1?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 02:50:34 PM by muwarrior87 »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
With the preseason hype for Lazar, I thought we may some big mentions here. 

Scott seems like the early success story for recruits.  Hoping Mbakwe gets in soon.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »
nope, McNeal not listed at all in 4th game. Even if he didn't get in, isn't the whole team usually listed w/ zeros across the board if no PT is registered? 

Nope.  If you do not play, you do not appear in the box score.  Tommy Brice does not appear in the box scores of games 3 & 4 as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:15:05 PM by MUMac »

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »

Go search the posts because this is what I have been saying all along: MoAck is a better PG than DJ. The numbers will improve and with more playing time, he'll outperform DJ.

77, you are absolutely crazy...even Rosiak said DJ was oustanding on the trip with team highs of points and assists while shooting a better percentage than Acker....give it a rest.

"James had an outstanding trip, averaging team highs of 15.5 points and 6.5 assists over the four games while shooting 49% from the field (25 for 51), 38.9% from three-point range (7 for 18) and 77.8% from the free-throw line (14 for 18). He also had no more than two turnovers in any one game. As far as the shooting stroke, when I spoke to James last week he mentioned he's tweaked his form a bit in that he's no longer jumping as high as he had been. It'll be interesting to see if the consistency carries over."

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 08:36:12 PM »

77, you are absolutely crazy...even Rosiak said DJ was oustanding on the trip with team highs of points and assists while shooting a better percentage than Acker....give it a rest.

"James had an outstanding trip, averaging team highs of 15.5 points and 6.5 assists over the four games while shooting 49% from the field (25 for 51), 38.9% from three-point range (7 for 18) and 77.8% from the free-throw line (14 for 18). He also had no more than two turnovers in any one game. As far as the shooting stroke, when I spoke to James last week he mentioned he's tweaked his form a bit in that he's no longer jumping as high as he had been. It'll be interesting to see if the consistency carries over."

I took the Acker quote more to meaning this -- if DJ needs to get a bit of a rest late in the game and Crean wants somebody to 'manage the game', Acker can be that guy.  He's not going to do anything ultra fancy but he's not going to turn the ball over, either.  It's generally the same that I saw from him at Hillcrest, and IMHO, anybody who thinks we'd be better with Acker/Cubillan starting (ie if James actually entered his name into the draft) is a unnatural carnal knowledgeing nut.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 08:47:47 PM »
agreed in a worldfull of simply crazy internet hyprbole and retard statements that may simply take the cake.  In all my years of reading internet forums dating back 15 years to the days of geocities for MU hoops that might just be the one that takes the cake.  I have watched MU practice 3-4 times this summer and that statement is just crazy.  I agree Mu will be deeper and better with Acker, but Dj is a better player than Reece in every single aspect of the game, just plain simply better!! Additionally he is much much stronger defensively.  77 references Ackers number but Dj's were still even better, shot way better and still dished out more assists!!  If Acker was better than DJ he would have never gone to Ball State he would have been a McDonald's AA and he would be leaving Mu after this year as a lottery pick.  Sorry but that aint happeneing. 
I almost think this has to be coming out of a dislike towards Dj.  A staement this ludicrous has to be caused by some type of resentment that shadows reason!
Hopefully we dont have all the hating on Dj like we had last year.  he seemed to have a wonderful trip, and played like afuture pro.  Reece will be nice but cannot touch DJ

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 09:28:16 PM »
I didn't take that comment to mean Acker was a better player than DJ in every regard.  I took it to mean Acker may be a better true PG.  DJ played a lot of 2 last year, and I'm sure Crean will have him play a ton more, knowing that Acker and Cube can adequately do the PG role.

(Oh, and Geocities wasn't around 15 years ago.  Try 10.  http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/marquette_internet_forum_history)

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:49:36 PM »
Anyone hear why McNeal did not play in the final game?

feedback