[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Would you take Detroit Mercy  (Read 8624 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Would you take Detroit Mercy
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »
Providence is on the bubble right now. Dayton sells out their arena. DePaul and SHU are in a downswing but are loaded with tradition.  SLU has history with the membership.

Unfortunately, UDM just isn'tlassoing of those classes.  I'd schedule you 4 for 1 (though you may just want to take the buy money), but without a shock-the-world commitment to playing at the high major level, we can't play you twice a year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
Just because a team is in a marketplace, it doesn't mean it "delivers" the market to the league. For every 1,000 sports fans in Michigan, maybe 1 -- and that's probably being very generous -- cares about Detroit basketball.

It's the same reason we aren't pursuing Holy Cross to "deliver" the Boston market, Duquesne to "deliver" Pittsburgh, St. Mary's to "deliver" San Francisco, Florida International to "deliver" Miami, etc.

As it is, DePaul barely delivers Chicago, though at least it's a sleeping giant of a program that has been a big player in college basketball in my lifetime.

It's not the size of the market. It's the commitment of the school to the program as well as the program's likely success going forward.

Right on with this comment.  I can't imagine Big East games would begin to air throughout the Detroit metro area due to the addition of UDM.  
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
If we really NEEDED to get the Detroit market Oakland is probably a better team
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
Keefe, when was the last year you lived in Michigan?

When Bo was coaching Blue!

Long time ago but Detroit Mercy was not and is not a factor in Detroit. People are more interested in Eastern in Ypsi than Detroit.

Let me ask, is UWM a factor in Milwaukee?

No, Detroit's sojourn for relevance has landed them in the Horizon League where they can take their rightful place at the Table of Comrades and find sustenance in the manly fellowship of friends. In the Horizon they are among peers and given equal voice in addressing the burning issues of that world. A man must know his place and find succor and comfort in that realm.

Death on call

Norm

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
Providence is on the bubble right now. Dayton sells out their arena. DePaul and SHU are in a downswing but are loaded with tradition.  SLU has history with the membership.

Unfortunately, UDM just isn'tlassoing of those classes.  I'd schedule you 4 for 1 (though you may just want to take the buy money), but without a shock-the-world commitment to playing at the high major level, we can't play you twice a year.
Seton Hall has been to the NCAAs 9 times. St. Louis has been invited 7 times, with an 8th coming this season. Detroit has been there 6, and has a chance for a 7th bid this year.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
When Bo was coaching Blue!

Long time ago but Detroit Mercy was not and is not a factor in Detroit. People are more interested in Eastern in Ypsi than Detroit.

Let me ask, is UWM a factor in Milwaukee?

No, Detroit's sojourn for relevance has landed them in the Horizon League where they can take their rightful place at the Table of Comrades and find sustenance in the manly fellowship of friends. In the Horizon they are among peers and given equal voice in addressing the burning issues of that world. A man must know his place and find succor and comfort in that realm.

Well, Bo coached from 68-94 or so, that's a wide time frame.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 04:54:15 PM »
Well, Bo coached from 68-94 or so, that's a wide time frame.

I was there in the early 80's.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »
Maybe if Dickie V went back to coach and brought all his dirty money with him to buy players, and if he made a 10-year commitment to stay, Detroit would be a good addition just for the comedy factor.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
1.  It's just Detroit now.  No Mercy.
2.  I like Ray McCallum.  Other than that, no interest.
3.  Keefe.  Loved the picture of the kids.  Did not like the others.  Really undermines your view that you are better than all of us.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
UDM is playing good ball this year.   I have watched them a couple times on FSDetroit.    Having said that, they would have to upgrade their facilities and their commitment a great deal before I would personally consider them a candidate for the BEast 2.0.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »
Would you invite UDM to join the Catholic Conference?  Their play has been improving and it would be another midwestern team in the heart of a strong market.  I know they are not great, but they play a better game than DePaul, Saint Johns, Providence, and Dayton (proposed team) as of right now.  Any takers? 

You're best hope is to get into the A10 once schools leave. Need to show a record of success against better competition. If they are better than St. John's why did they lose to them this year? The only reason I am okay with Butler was the 2 tournament runs and the have held their own in the A10. Detroit just doesn't have the track record.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
UDM is playing good ball this year.   I have watched them a couple times on FSDetroit.    Having said that, they would have to upgrade their facilities and their commitment a great deal before I would personally consider them a candidate for the BEast 2.0.

I really doubt they get an invite.

Death on call

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
Some of you sound like fools when talking about Detroit. No way in hell they would be in the Big East. Media market, what market?  Detroit draws nothing for fans. Oakland is a better draw in Detroit.
I say this as someone who loves watching Detroit and know their fans who come to Milwaukee every season.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:50:22 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
Why is this befuddling? A fan of Detroit Mercy comes to the board to see what MU fans thought of them being in the new league, which I'm sure they'd like to be part of, as would many schools. As you can tell, most here are adamantly against it. Question answered.

It's like we just hung out the "He-man woman hater's club" sign, kicked out the girls, and the doorbell rings and it's a girl.  Like, didn't you see the sign?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIC8JTQMMQ
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:41:30 PM by mu_hilltopper »

The Process

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »
It's like we just hung out the "He-man woman hater's club" sign, kicked out the girls, and the doorbell rings and it's a girl.  Like, didn't you see the sign?

http://youtu.be/wBIC8JTQMMU

"This video is unavailable."
Relax. Respect the Process.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »
1.  It's just Detroit now.  No Mercy.
2.  I like Ray McCallum.  Other than that, no interest.
3.  Keefe.  Loved the picture of the kids.  Did not like the others.  Really undermines your view that you are better than all of us.

1. It used to be just Detroit.  Now it really is UDM:  http://detroittitans.com/documents/2012/12/5/2012-13_MBB_Prospectus__120512_.pdf

2.  Ray McCallum is very likeable.

3.  True.
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »
Wild ..

The link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIC8JTQMMU

with a "Q" at the end.  Not a "U" .. but every time I post it, Scoop changes that MMU into a MMU.  lol .. it did it again.  You cannot type M M Q. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIC8JTQMM    add Q
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:47:56 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »
Sorry, no way in hell does Detroit Mercy sniff an invite. They bring absolutely nothing to the table. Let them knock on the A-10's door if they're looking to move.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:56 PM »
Sorry, no way in hell does Detroit Mercy sniff an invite. They bring absolutely nothing to the table. Let them knock on the A-10's door if they're looking to move.

Dayton's path to the 12 seed would be much clearer.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
This a joke?

I'd take all those teams you mentioned (maybe not DePaul) against Detroit any day.  Hell, you guys didn't even win the Horizon.
Yeah, screw DePaul. The Catholic 7 don't need the nation's largest Catholic university nor the Chicago market. Not to mention DePaul's chances of playing in the United Center for free or getting a new lakefront stadium. Who needs it? What a waste.

Beat it, Blue Demons.
We Are Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
Yeah, screw DePaul. The Catholic 7 don't need the nation's largest Catholic university nor the Chicago market. Not to mention DePaul's chances of playing in the United Center for free or getting a new lakefront stadium. Who needs it? What a waste.

Beat it, Blue Demons.

Been hearing the same sh*t for 20 years.  I'll believe it when I see it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2013, 09:22:16 PM »

Concur. DePaul is like the Ottoman Empire - Sick Man of Europe/Big East. Lots of potential but never realizing it. They have been an absolute joke since joining the BE.  They have won 7 BE games in the past 5 years. That's pathetic.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
Concur. DePaul is like the Ottoman Empire - Sick Man of Europe/Big East. Lots of potential but never realizing it. They have been an absolute joke since joining the BE.  They have won 7 BE games in the past 5 years. That's pathetic.

Not as pathetic as their one particular win in that time span that I remember all too freakin' well. Probably my least favorite regular-season game in 3+ decades as a Marquette student/alum/fan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:18 PM »

Every single thing I said is absolutely true.

DePaul is the nation's largest Catholic university.

They are in the Chicago market.

DePaul will either A) get a free lease agreement from the United Center or B) get a stadium built by McCormick Place. The days of Allstate Arena are drawing to a close. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20121119/BLOGS02/121119774/united-center-offers-depaul-free-rent-for-blue-demons-games

You don't believe DePaul will ever be good again? Fine. But that's a totally separate issue. DePaul has CONSIDERABLE strengths. Selfishly, it is a chance for Marquette to showcase itself to Chicago's massive recruiting base one night a year. Chicago alumns also get a "local" home game for Marquette. Those reasons alone are enough to want DePaul. Especially over Detroit. I hope THAT was a joke.
We Are Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »
Every single thing I said is absolutely true.

DePaul is the nation's largest Catholic university.

They are in the Chicago market.

DePaul will either A) get a free lease agreement from the United Center or B) get a stadium built by McCormick Place. The days of Allstate Arena are drawing to a close. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20121119/BLOGS02/121119774/united-center-offers-depaul-free-rent-for-blue-demons-games

You don't believe DePaul will ever be good again? Fine. But that's a totally separate issue. DePaul has CONSIDERABLE strengths. Selfishly, it is a chance for Marquette to showcase itself to Chicago's massive recruiting base one night a year. Chicago alumns also get a "local" home game for Marquette. Those reasons alone are enough to want DePaul. Especially over Detroit. I hope THAT was a joke.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the conference jettison DePaul but they truly have been horrible in the Big East. They do need to get their sh1t together, though. It's easier to hide an oozing sore when you have 16 teams. Their incompetence will be an issue with just 10 teams. As you correctly point out, they have significant structural advantages and offer Marquette in particular select benefits. But they need to start delivering on the promise now for they will drag the conference down. Perceptions are every thing but the empiricism in this case is god awful ugly. 

Death on call