'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruits at the Al  (Read 6009 times)

4thAndState

• Starter
Recruits at the Al
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:48:21 AM »
A nice event last eve. and a decent turnout despite scant publicity. I noticed what seemed to be a number of recruits at the Al. I know TC has offered the Bay View HS point guard a scholly (name escapes). Plus a number of his teammates were there too, watching the action. I also believe Jamil Wilson and Josh Crittle were in attendance. This larger group sat on one bench during the drills and scrimmage while Frank Ben-Eze sat alone on the other bench. Thought that was a bit odd. A number of times current players would come up to him and slap hands, assistant coach Buzz Williams engaged him in discussion for a number of minutes. Joanie Crean even stopped by. Is this different seating arrangement because Ben-Eze was on an official visit, while the others were not? During the evening I was trying to get a "read" on Ben-Eze. At times he seemed into it, other times he seemed to be checking for text messages, or sending them. He is a ligit "big man," all of 6-10. Soemwhat of a Barro-type body. Ben-Eze had to be impressed with the athletes we have and the intensity of the drills and scrimmage. Hopefully he sees himself fitting in.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Recruits at the Al
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:23:34 AM »
Yeah, I recall a recruit at a scrimmage last year (or year before) .. and they had him much more involved, i.e., he was sitting at the end of the bench .. at time outs, he was invited into the huddle, yadda yadda.  Ben-Eze basically sat alone, but next to some host.

He did grin and wave to the guys with his native flag, though, seen in one of the pics I took.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:27:47 AM »
Crittle was not there.  Wilson wasn't either, he was suppose to, but couldn't make it.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »
Yeah, I recall a recruit at a scrimmage last year (or year before) .. and they had him much more involved, i.e., he was sitting at the end of the bench .. at time outs, he was invited into the huddle, yadda yadda.  Ben-Eze basically sat alone, but next to some host.

He did grin and wave to the guys with his native flag, though, seen in one of the pics I took.

Not only did he sit alone, but after the practice (while Fitz was practicing 3's) Mbakwe was nearest player, and Ben-Eze turned his chair so back was to him- not encouraging body-language.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
I couldn't disagree more with the assessments of Ben-Eze's body language and interest.  Ben-Eze was talking most of the practice to Buzz Williams, one of the new assistants.  He was engaged in that conversation, asking questions and really listening intently.  In addition to Williams, the following "adults" came and talked to Ben-Eze at least once if not more...

1) Crean
2) Rab
3) Buckley
4) Joani Crean
5) Todd Smith (who was talking at length to Big Frank for quite a while after Williams)

Frank was watching what was going on and was involved.  He did text message throughout (what kid doesn't these days?) but he was frankly the most involved/interested/engaged recruit I have ever seen at a function in my years following recruiting.  When Crean exhorted the bench players to stand up when it was tied with a minute to go, Frank jumped to his feet and clapped and shouted encouragement.

After the scrimmage, Frank talked a while with Mbakwe and others, and gave high fives to most of the team.  He also went on the court in street clothes and did a few post moves and FT's. 

He also was very pleased with the Nigerian flag and pointed for his guardian to look at it too.

I'm not sure whose body language you were reading, but Frank was much more involved and interested than any other uncommitted recruit I have ever seen.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 02:00:55 PM »
Ben-Eze

he's a must-get.

can u imagine going into the 08-09 Big East season with Burke as your starting center? 

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »
Ben-Eze

he's a must-get.

can u imagine going into the 08-09 Big East season with Burke as your starting center? 

I think Lloyd Moore still has two years of eligibility
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »
Thanks MUViking for your insights. I wanted others to comment on Frank's visit. I was able to glance over to him occasionally, not wanting to miss much on-court action.
I agree with NYWarrior, he is a must-get. A 08-09 frontline of Ben-Eze, Lazar and Mbakwe would make me happy.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »
what ever happened to lloyd moore, i was just a teenager back then and did not follow the twists and turns of players coming and going back then as i do now.  A huge recruit...no pun intended...back then and then he was gone.  what happened and what was the story...did he go somewhere...?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »
Not to be contrarian for contrarian's sake -- I can't say I watched Ben-Eze constantly, but I came away with a totally different impression.   I'll say I glanced at him a couple dozen times last night.  While he may have been chatting with Buzz a number of those times, there were plenty of moments where he was just sitting there, uninvolved, and it made me wonder if he was bored or something.

I did see him talking to a couple other coaches here and there for a moment or two, but over the whole two hours, it seemed like he was sitting silently for a lot of it.  Indeed, I missed the very last parts of the scrimmage, so didn't see him w/the team for the last part, comments only apply to the first 2 hours.

Sorry, just another opinion.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
I guess the question that needs to be answered is: What is a new recruit supposed to do?  I think people are reading into it to much.  Next time we should hook him up to a lie detector test or something and monitor his every nerve impulse.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
Just saw Ben-Eze getting a tour of campus, the lady giving the tour said it's been relatively mild and doesn't get that cold as of late in the winter. I really wanted to go up and just tell him that he better have a parka for when he's walking down wisconsin ave in the 10 degree wind chill. But as I passed him on my way back to my place, he was laughing along and seemed very interested in what was being said. Maybe he was just being polite but either way, if he likes the bball program and what he's seen on campus, I'd say he's gotta love the idea of going to school here.

I'm really glad it didn't smell like the Cargill plant or lake today on campus  ;D

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
"While he may have been chatting with Buzz a number of those times, there were plenty of moments where he was just sitting there, uninvolved, and it made me wonder if he was bored or something."

He was chatting with Buzz during the entirety of the pre-scrimmage practice which was at least a half an hour.  Buzz then coached the gold team (Bennie coached the blue team) during the scrimmage.  Crean, Buckley, Rab and Barone were all involved on the court.

If you watched closely, Frank was watching what was going on on the court.  He was text messaging, yes, but he was also very interested in what was happening on the court.  The fact that he immediately jumped up and started clapping and shouting encouragement when Crean told the bench guys to stand during the final minute spoke volumes.

You can't expect the coaches to hound this guy his entire time here.  Believe me, Frank got his fill of the coaches all day yesterday and today-- he was not neglected nor bored while at Marquette.

"I did see him talking to a couple other coaches here and there for a moment or two,"

He talked for about 20 minutes (or longer) with Todd Smith.  He spoke briefly with all the other coaches, and Joani came over to speak to him for 5 minutes or so. 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:32:24 PM by MUViking »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 04:57:04 PM »
Viking, I'm glad to hear that you saw something other than what I did.  I confess I didn't really watch him until the second 'scrimmage', and that he appeared bored then.  After the practice I expected more inclusion- that's all.  If I read too much into his turning his back, forgive me, as I realize it's a leap, but thought it was noteworthy.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »
Vike, I hope you're right, and augoman and I got the wrong vibe from what we saw.

4everwarriors

• All American
On The Topic Of Lloyd Moore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 06:49:51 PM »
Once saw him and Majerus having the Sunday all-you-can eat brunch at the Hyatt. OMG, nothing was left for the rest of us.

Moore's butt was never in shape here and so never came near reaching his potential, which was considerable. Eventually transferred to Rutgers, I think, and didn't do stink there either. Certainly didn't graduate and I remember reading somewhere that he was either homeless and/or a street person.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »
I just saw a post of one of his text messages on another board. It was to a good HS buddy of his:

"Gr8 place. Nice Co. Pl8rs kool 2. MU now #1."

;)
SS Marquette

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »
you kid 77...don't get our hopes up like that right now.

4everwarriors

• All American
Also,
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 10:07:03 PM »
MU chicks dig text messaging.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 10:29:11 PM »

Hence the

;)
SS Marquette

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »
Just saw Ben-Eze getting a tour of campus, the lady giving the tour said it's been relatively mild and doesn't get that cold as of late in the winter.

Was she hot? 
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 11:42:42 PM »
Just saw Ben-Eze getting a tour of campus, the lady giving the tour said it's been relatively mild and doesn't get that cold as of late in the winter.

Was she hot? 

not so much

Hence the

;)

ik

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 05:47:00 AM »
Not to be contrarian for contrarian's sake -- I can't say I watched Ben-Eze constantly, but I came away with a totally different impression.   I'll say I glanced at him a couple dozen times last night.  While he may have been chatting with Buzz a number of those times, there were plenty of moments where he was just sitting there, uninvolved, and it made me wonder if he was bored or something.

I did see him talking to a couple other coaches here and there for a moment or two, but over the whole two hours, it seemed like he was sitting silently for a lot of it.  Indeed, I missed the very last parts of the scrimmage, so didn't see him w/the team for the last part, comments only apply to the first 2 hours.

That's fine, it seems everyone's opinion on the night contradict everyone else's opinion...
DJ looked great...DJ was terrible
Mbwakee was awesom...Mbwakee didn't do anything
Lazar played well...Lazar regressed
Ben-Eze was captivated...Ben-Eze was bored

Wish I could have been there to take it all in but living in Atlanta doesn't afford me the luxury to fly to milwaukee to catch a practice...oh well, I'll continue to pick through opinions to figure out how the team looks for the upcoming year.

romey

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
Not to be contrarian for contrarian's sake -- I can't say I watched Ben-Eze constantly, but I came away with a totally different impression.   I'll say I glanced at him a couple dozen times last night.  While he may have been chatting with Buzz a number of those times, there were plenty of moments where he was just sitting there, uninvolved, and it made me wonder if he was bored or something.

That's fine, it seems everyone's opinion on the night contradict everyone else's opinion...
DJ looked great...DJ was terrible
Mbwakee was awesom...Mbwakee didn't do anything
Lazar played well...Lazar regressed
Ben-Eze was captivated...Ben-Eze was bored

Wish I could have been there to take it all in but living in Atlanta doesn't afford me the luxury to fly to milwaukee to catch a practice...oh well, I'll continue to pick through opinions to figure out how the team looks for the upcoming year.

I know exactly how you feel.  I live in Atlanta as well.  Have caught sveral games in the past in Brookwood area at Jocks n Jills (a restaurant Doc Rivers started up with his formwer Hawk teammate Randy Whitman).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 06:27:15 PM »
muarmy and romey .. watch the video.  Just like being there, only way quicker.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=23

feedback