Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Buzz Williams likes to philosophize, oh yes he does  (Read 7284 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Buzz Williams likes to philosophize, oh yes he does
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
I was not aware they had not been communicating until I read on Dodds board that they have not spoken face to face in 6 months. I have no idea if that is correct. You seem to have some insight on this...how serious is this? If I had to rack and stack I would put Buzz above the AD in terms of importance.

From a practical standpoint, not speaking with your boss for an extended period of time isn't a good situation. Bloody hell.

I could be wrong, but I thought Buzz and LW were talking face to face on the Aircraft Carrier about playing the game or not. That was certainly less than 6 months ago. I am sure they have had their differences but who does see eye to eye with the boss all the time. My take is that the press does not see MU as a destination job for coaches so any rift just makes good copy to fuel the speculation fires.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 01:23:48 PM »
MUWarrior69

I have never seen anything in the media regarding bad relationship between Buzz and LW. Am I missing something?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »

In other words, 180 degrees opposite from Coach Tom Crean?

Happily, yes.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 01:47:46 PM »
Well, I've seen Larry Williams on the sideline in radio/tv row talking to Buzz during games, so they are obviously talking at least there.

The whole Larry Williams concern is so overblown - basically, if he had gone somewhere else for undergrad instead of Notre Dame 3/4 of the issues people with him would go away. The poster that suggested he didn't know if Larry was smart or not because he too took many head shots in the NFL should be embarrassed for even suggesting that.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:00:04 PM by Norm »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
This is how stupid rumors get started.
Here's exactly what was posted re: Buzz and LW not talking. Please what shred of credibility I'm failing to find here:

"I don't understand why Marquette would hire an athletic director like Williams. Our basketball program has put this university on the map. Buzz may take some risks with some kids, but he helps make them into fine young men. Isn't that part of Marquette's mission? Buzz is a wonderful person, and he cares deeply about his kids. The arrogance that some from Notre Dame have isn't something we need incorporated at Marquette. I hope the rumors I have heard regarding our AD aren't true. Supposedly he hasn't communicated with Buzz for months. If so, sad! If Buzz leaves this program because of the ideas of our new AD, I will not continue to support the program until we get a new AD. Like I said, I hope this is just rumors."

So, basically, someone on one message board starts a rumor, stating it is, in fact, a rumor. Then someone here takes it and passes it along as perhaps more than a rumor (ignoring the fact that the originator said it was rumor and the general tone of that post was plainly stupid.

To entertain for even a millisecond the idea that amid all the conference realignment/C&/New Big East stuff Buzz and Larry haven't spoken is dumb beyond words.

So I guess what you're saying is this:

There is irrefutable proof that Buzz and LW got into a giant fistfight recently, which started when LW called Buzz "baldy" and Buzz responding: "So's your Mom!"

I hope nobody runs with this on another thread because I'd hate to think folks would conclude from this absolutely true story that there's a rift between Buzz and LW.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »
Well, I've seen Larry Williams on the sideline in radio/tv row talking to Buzz during games, so they are obviously talking at least there.

The whole Larry Williams concern is so overblown - basically, if he had gone somewhere else for undergrad instead of Notre Dame 3/4 of the issues people with him would go away. The poster that suggested he didn't know if Larry was smart or not because he too too many head shots in the NFL should be embarrassed for even suggesting that.

While I don't think it is as bad as people like Ners portray it to be, I don't think it has been completely overblown.  Think about it this way....18 months ago Buzz was working for the President and the AD who hired him, and had almost his entire original staff.

Now almost all of that has changed.  New people.  Some new policies.  Some bad communication.  

But what I have heard is that LW and Buzz have worked quite a bit on their relationship, and that it would be a monumental surprise if Buzz leaves after this year - unless it is for one of the blue-blood type programs.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 02:01:28 PM »

While I don't think it is as bad as people like Ners portray it to be, I don't think it has been completely overblown.  Think about it this way....18 months ago Buzz was working for the President and the AD who hired him, and had almost his entire original staff.

Now almost all of that has changed.  New people.  Some new policies.  Some bad communication.  

But what I have heard is that LW and Buzz have worked quite a bit on their relationship, and that it would be a monumental surprise if Buzz leaves after this year - unless it is for one of the blue-blood type programs.

I disagree.

It HAS been overblown.

For somebody to say LW and BW are having "growing pains" seems reasonable and is probably accurate.

To say that they haven' talked in 6mo. is entirely overblown.

To say that LW isn't smart because he was in the NFL is overblown.

To say that BW is on a "one year deal" and leaving after this season is overblown.

The entire topic is overblown.

Also, I'm a huge BW fan, and I loved the interview that he just did on Jim Rome. He does a really nice job representing MU and is very likable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »

Agree with your analysis and hope your sources on LW and Buzz improving their relationship are right. MU is just outside the door reserved for the elites in college basketball. I think we kick the door in if Buzz stays.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
Right on, Lenny. We definitely are getting close to kicking the door in.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 02:39:18 PM »
This is how stupid rumors get started.
Here's exactly what was posted re: Buzz and LW not talking. Please what shred of credibility I'm failing to find here:

"I don't understand why Marquette would hire an athletic director like Williams. Our basketball program has put this university on the map. Buzz may take some risks with some kids, but he helps make them into fine young men. Isn't that part of Marquette's mission? Buzz is a wonderful person, and he cares deeply about his kids. The arrogance that some from Notre Dame have isn't something we need incorporated at Marquette. I hope the rumors I have heard regarding our AD aren't true. Supposedly he hasn't communicated with Buzz for months. If so, sad! If Buzz leaves this program because of the ideas of our new AD, I will not continue to support the program until we get a new AD. Like I said, I hope this is just rumors."

So, basically, someone on one message board starts a rumor, stating it is, in fact, a rumor. Then someone here takes it and passes it along as perhaps more than a rumor (ignoring the fact that the originator said it was rumor and the general tone of that post was plainly stupid.

To entertain for even a millisecond the idea that amid all the conference realignment/C&/New Big East stuff Buzz and Larry haven't spoken is dumb beyond words.

I said I read it on Dodds board and then added, "I have no idea if that is correct."

I was asking for insight on a rumor. I further stated that I am familiar with rumor mills as that is the #1 preoccupation of guys deployed to the war. And given my experience with rumor mills there is usually a kernel of truth in there somewhere.

I made it clear I have no first hand knowledge of any rift between the AD and Buzz. I was asking someone with access to both if that was correct. How is that a problem?

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
I disagree.

It HAS been overblown.

For somebody to say LW and BW are having "growing pains" seems reasonable and is probably accurate.

To say that they haven' talked in 6mo. is entirely overblown.

To say that LW isn't smart because he was in the NFL is overblown.

To say that BW is on a "one year deal" and leaving after this season is overblown.

The entire topic is overblown.

Also, I'm a huge BW fan, and I loved the interview that he just did on Jim Rome. He does a really nice job representing MU and is very likable.

Great post. Disregarding the "rumors", we KNOW they have talked in the last 6 months.

But it is just the same few people perpetuating this for attention and turning every other thread into their perception of "the rift".

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »
Right on, Lenny. We definitely are getting close to kicking the door in.

I think Buzz has us on the verge. I hope he is given the chance to cash it in.

Death on call

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »
Cord's wife and Crean's wife were damn charity sisters.   We obviously don't have that level of family feel on the basketball side but whatever, ultimately da proof will be in da puddin this off season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
We are closet we have been in 35 years and watered down college ball makes the job even easier. Let's hope we see the results we want.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »
. I was asking someone with access to both if that was correct. How is that a problem?

How do you know that?  What access did you assume?
Ludum habemus.