Incoming freshmen by El Guerrero 2
[Today at 11:01:43 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mayo 3 minutes?  (Read 4746 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Mayo 3 minutes?
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »
Wah happened? Didnt see the game but have been perusing the box score and that jumped out at me.

Any reason why so low for those that watched or heard the postgame?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Mayo 3 minutes?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
He played quite poorly, simple as that. Definitely could tell it was an off night for him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
First 2 times he touched the ball he committed turnovers (though the second one was a brutally bad offensive foul call). Then he missed a rushed, unnecessary 3 and promptly committed an intentional foul (that one was a good call).

Buzz had seen enough.

So had I.

By the time I realized Mayo hadn't played any more, we had a 20-something lead and there were only a few minutes to play. He had not been missed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
^^^ That sums it up.  No "more to the story" speculation or rants on his lack of playing time coming out of this one, he just stunk so badly in those three minutes that he couldn't get back in.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »
He didn't even make a move to remove his warmups in the second half. Neither did Juan the final 17 minutes. Guess Buzz figured he'd seen enough for the night from each of them.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
I'm surprised Juan got the minutes he did as poorly as he played.  I was yelling for Buzz to yank him the first few minutes of the game, then was shocked to see him come back in.  He never seemed to get in the flow; poor passes, missed layups, etc.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »
As jamil plays more consistently, Juan's minutes will continue to decrease.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:33 PM »
He didn't even make a move to remove his warmups in the second half. Neither did Juan the final 17 minutes. Guess Buzz figured he'd seen enough for the night from each of them.

Mayo puts his warmup jacket back on each time he comes out of the game, whether he plays 3 minutes or 23 minutes.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:50:57 AM »
Mayo puts his warmup jacket back on each time he comes out of the game, whether he plays 3 minutes or 23 minutes.

As did all the greats: Koufax, Drysdale, Tom Terrific, von Ryan's Express, The Big Unit, and Sid Finch.

Death on call

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 02:09:19 AM »
As did all the greats: Koufax, Drysdale, Tom Terrific, von Ryan's Express, The Big Unit, and Sid Finch.

George Plimpton reported that Sidd Finch could put on and take off his warmup jacket faster than any pitcher in the history of baseball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:03 AM »
George Plimpton reported that Sidd Finch could put on and take off his warmup jacket faster than any pitcher in the history of baseball.

Siddartha Finch was part pitcher, part yogi, and part recluse. His 168 mph splitter remains the fastest and most beguiling pitch ever thrown in the major leagues.

Death on call

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
First 2 times he touched the ball he committed turnovers (though the second one was a brutally bad offensive foul call). Then he missed a rushed, unnecessary 3 and promptly committed an intentional foul (that one was a good call).

Buzz had seen enough.

So had I.

By the time I realized Mayo hadn't played any more, we had a 20-something lead and there were only a few minutes to play. He had not been missed.

I think it was the intentional foul call that is the main reason Buzz held him out.  That was just a dumb, dumb frustration foul.  No need for that, especially since Derrick was in good position on defense.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »
Todd was bad yesterday.   I think Buzz was letting the pine teach some lessons.   Plus, with Blue and Lockett playing so well, why break things up in the middle of a 25-1 run?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »
Concur that the intentional foul was the 'straw that broke the camel's back'.  Be interesting to see Todd's role on Saturday.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
Dam right, we are trying to win a chip.   Play the best players and the ones playing the best.  We will see more of this the rest of the way.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
Todd was bad yesterday.   I think Buzz was letting the pine teach some lessons.   Plus, with Blue and Lockett playing so well, why break things up in the middle of a 25-1 run?
That answer should sum it up for everyone. Plus, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in that time played.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:02:31 AM by bradley center bat »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
Why does he play at all? He's a chucker and has the worst body language of any player I've seen in a MU uniform. Add to the fact that he's probably gone next year, skipped out this summer and thinks school is overrated and I'm left scratching my head.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
Why does he play at all? He's a chucker and has the worst body language of any player I've seen in a MU uniform. Add to the fact that he's probably gone next year, skipped out this summer and thinks school is overrated and I'm left scratching my head.

Right, like he's all negative and no positive.  He had a bad game yesterday.  He had a good game against Pitt 3 days prior.  Do you have the attention span of a gnat?  When he's on, Todd brings a needed dimension to the team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »

He plays because he can put the ball in the basket as well as anyone on the team. He can shoot it and get to the free throw line. Prior to Seton Hall, he looked good against Pitt, scoring 9 points in 14 minutes. As for school, about 10 days ago there was an article in which he said he was here for the long haul and that getting a degree was his #1 priority.

All that said, he's made mistakes and they've earned him a short leash from Buzz. Whether he can regain Buzz's trust is anyone's guess, but I for one am glad it's not up to you.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »

I think a ton of posters here (including me to an extent) were saying the same thing about Jamil Wilson two weeks ago. Todd's frustrating, for sure. But....c'mon man.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
He plays because he can put the ball in the basket as well as anyone on the team. He can shoot it and get to the free throw line. Prior to Seton Hall, he looked good against Pitt, scoring 9 points in 14 minutes. As for school, about 10 days ago there was an article in which he said he was here for the long haul and that getting a degree was his #1 priority.

All that said, he's made mistakes and they've earned him a short leash from Buzz. Whether he can regain Buzz's trust is anyone's guess, but I for one am glad it's not up to you.

I think this is part of our problem as fans. We think that Todd can score as well as anybody, but truthfully he is still a soph. guard who is learning how to play at this level.

His points per minute numbers are pretty good, and he's made some flashy plays. But, his efficiency isn't very good, and he's made some pretty bad mistakes (turnovers, bad fouls, missed rotations).

If you expect him to be DJO, you're going to hate him. If you expect him to be Dwight Buycks, you can see his value, especially if he is hot.

He's going to get spot minutes for the rest of the year. If he gets hot in a game, he'll get 15+. If he makes mistakes, he'll probably get 5 or less.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
Watching Buzz over the years, he sees his team growing in momentum at the year progresses.  If you miss the first part of the season, it is very hard to catch up.  (See Juan Anderson last year.)  Mayo is not playing because other players are ahead of him right now and when they play well, they stay in.  Todd has no one to blame but himself.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
I think this is part of our problem as fans. We think that Todd can score as well as anybody, but truthfully he is still a soph. guard who is learning how to play at this level.

His points per minute numbers are pretty good, and he's made some flashy plays.

His points per minute are pretty good? Here are the points per 40 minutes for our non centers:

Blue     18.32
Mayo.   17.80
JWilson 14.64
Junior.  12.32
Lockett 11.43
Juan.      9.00
DWilson. 4.00

And in his last 5 games (including last nights clunker) Todd is scoring at a 26.8 per 40 minutes rate. I never said he was our best ball handler, rebounder or most efficient player. I never said he was our best defender or led the team in body language. Someone said they didn't understand why he played at all. I said it was because he put the ball in the hoop as well as anyone on the team. Excluding Davante (I only included guards/switchables like Mayo, here's the real story: the reason Todd gets minutes are he, along with Vander, put the ball in the hoop at a much greater rate than the rest of our guards or forwards.

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
Watching Buzz over the years, he sees his team growing in momentum at the year progresses.  If you miss the first part of the season, it is very hard to catch up.  (See Juan Anderson last year.)  Mayo is not playing because other players are ahead of him right now and when they play well, they stay in.  Todd has no one to blame but himself.

+1,000
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:41 PM »
His points per minute are pretty good? Here are the points per 40 minutes for our non centers:

Blue     18.32
Mayo.   17.80
JWilson 14.64
Junior.  12.32
Lockett 11.43
Juan.      9.00
DWilson. 4.00

And in his last 5 games (including last nights clunker) Todd is scoring at a 26.8 per 40 minutes rate. I never said he was our best ball handler, rebounder or most efficient player. I never said he was our best defender or led the team in body language. Someone said they didn't understand why he played at all. I said it was because he put the ball in the hoop as well as anyone on the team. Excluding Davante (I only included guards/switchables like Mayo, here's the real story: the reason Todd gets minutes are he, along with Vander, put the ball in the hoop at a much greater rate than the rest of our guards or forwards.

First, I think you have to include Gardner, because you said "anybody", right?

Secondly, I think we are just mixing together some criteria and semantics.

I agree that Mayo's points per minute numbers are good (as you have show), but I feel that is because he shoots a lot.

He isn't very efficient, and his eFG % numbers reflect that. He is behind Gardner, Blue, Jamil, S. Taylor, Otule (and maybe more, I don't have all of the numbers).

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=davante-gardner&p1=todd-mayo&p2=jamil-wilson&p3=chris-otule&p4=steve-taylor-jr&p5=vander-blue

He is a streaky shooter who is in his second year and is inconsistent. He is a good role player who is capable of having some good games. In the future, he could be very good.

BUT, I think statements like: "He plays because he can put the ball in the basket as well as anyone on the team. " isn't really accurate.

I'm not trying to nitpick, Lenny. I just keep reading statements like that over and over and the facts don't support that.