Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting article on Fox Sports about Wade and Crean  (Read 11639 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Interesting article on Fox Sports about Wade and Crean
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
People...TC did not leave MU, he was forced out.  When you have a guy like Buzzard on the bench, you move fast.   It's where Jim Harbaugh got the idea to jettison Alex Smith.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »
The hatred is very much the same as for the husband or father who leaves for another girl.   You don't care that he's responsible for the big house we still live in and the nice cars you drive.  He left you.  

You want him to end up miserable and full of regret.

It depends why the husband left.  If the wife was a bitch, always harping on him, it was never good enough, always complaining, always challenging, etc....then sometimes I say ...go boy, get out while the getting is good.  She's only bringing you down, you'll never be happy, she will be an albatross around your neck forever.

Besides, It's Indiana, It's Indiana.   :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »
I4 was the master of pretending to want to talk to you, but spent the whole time looking over your shoulder for someone better to talk to.

Sounds like he didn't like what you were conversing about or didn't find it interesting....like a nagging wife.  ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »
You think it's amazing and petty for people to dislike a "class A prick"? Worse yet, a phony class A prick? Why, because he was our phony, class A prick? And because there are others as phony and pricky? Not good enough.

Lots of guys that I've hated in life, former bosses or whatever, but I still recognize what they did for me.  I don't care for TC's antics either, but I know MU wouldn't be where it is today without him.  He made MU a major winner again.  KO made us relevant again, but he was never going to do any better.  We were going to be a Seton Hall, Dayton, Providence type program that was good at times, always competitive, but that was about it. We needed someone to work his fool arse off, get great players in, and compete at the highest levels. That's what he did, that's why we are where we are.  He made this generation of players believe in MU basketball again.  The fact that his former players still stand behind him to such degree says a lot, even if that irks boosters and fans.  The dirty secret is 95% of coaches in college can't stand dealing with boosters, fans, etc.  They want to coach and nothing worse than a bunch of guys that think they know how to do your job better than they do.  They hate it.

Crean is an unlikeable character (as is Bob Knight, as is Saban, as are many coaches, CEOs, bosses, etc), but did they better their program\company?  Did they better the individuals they were responsible for?  Did they dedicate themselves fully to the cause?   Thankfully, Buzz seems to be doing the same thing without as much of the antics...which is a good thing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
People...TC did not leave MU, he was forced out.  When you have a guy like Buzzard on the bench, you move fast.   It's where Jim Harbaugh got the idea to jettison Alex Smith.

And where brother John got the idea to deep six friend, mentor and former boss Cam Cameron.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 12:52:17 AM »
Lots of guys that I've hated in life, former bosses or whatever, but I still recognize what they did for me.  I don't care for TC's antics either, but I know MU wouldn't be where it is today without him.  He made MU a major winner again.  KO made us relevant again, but he was never going to do any better.  We were going to be a Seton Hall, Dayton, Providence type program that was good at times, always competitive, but that was about it. We needed someone to work his fool arse off, get great players in, and compete at the highest levels. That's what he did, that's why we are where we are.  He made this generation of players believe in MU basketball again.  The fact that his former players still stand behind him to such degree says a lot, even if that irks boosters and fans.  The dirty secret is 95% of coaches in college can't stand dealing with boosters, fans, etc.  They want to coach and nothing worse than a bunch of guys that think they know how to do your job better than they do.  They hate it.

Crean is an unlikeable character (as is Bob Knight, as is Saban, as are many coaches, CEOs, bosses, etc), but did they better their program\company?  Did they better the individuals they were responsible for?  Did they dedicate themselves fully to the cause?   Thankfully, Buzz seems to be doing the same thing without as much of the antics...which is a good thing.

Blah, blah, blah. The issue is not if he did good for the program. Separate matter. What people are speaking about is his despicable treatment of his fellow human beings. Seems to range from the casual to studiously deliberate. In every case he demonstrates zero regard for the dignity of others as persons. And for what reason? Only the Swarthy Swami of Selfishness can answer that one.

Funny thing is that his mentor, Izzo, is said to be a great guy. Personable, approachable, genuine. There was a great article in SI maybe 6 years ago on Izzo and Mooch. Common theme is that two guys from a small Michigan town remain true to those roots. They were athletes, popular since grade school, who found great success in coaching. Perhaps Crean, unlike those two, was not neither an athlete nor popular? Despite all the speculation about him going back to MSU as Izzo's replacement I have heard Izzo cares for him like a son but is not particularly fond of Crean.

Stop trotting out Crean's CV every time people give first hand accounts of what a complete tool the guy is. It sounds a lot like, "Yea, but he made the trains run on time..." or "I know about Auschwitz but he built the Autobahn..."

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
Blah, blah, blah. The issue is not if he did good for the program. Separate matter. What people are speaking about is his despicable treatment of his fellow human beings. Seems to range from the casual to studiously deliberate. In every case he demonstrates zero regard for the dignity of others as persons. And for what reason? Only the Swarthy Swami of Selfishness can answer that one.

Funny thing is that his mentor, Izzo, is said to be a great guy. Personable, approachable, genuine. There was a great article in SI maybe 6 years ago on Izzo and Mooch. Common theme is that two guys from a small Michigan town remain true to those roots. They were athletes, popular since grade school, who found great success in coaching. Perhaps Crean, unlike those two, was not neither an athlete nor popular? Despite all the speculation about him going back to MSU as Izzo's replacement I have heard Izzo cares for him like a son but is not particularly fond of Crean.

Stop trotting out Crean's CV every time people give first hand accounts of what a complete tool the guy is. It sounds a lot like, "Yea, but he made the trains run on time..." or "I know about Auschwitz but he built the Autobahn..."

Despicable treatment of fellow human beings...funny, especially after an article that just talks about whe he did for his fellow human beings.  You have an interesting definition of the word despicable, especially when we don't even know if what was said is true.  It always entertains me some of the posts about him which often are from a random poster that comes on here that is never heard from before or since that has some story of treachery.  Plenty of MU coaches that have stories not very kind toward other people...Kevin O'Neill, Mike Deane, Tom Crean, etc.  Welcome to MU (and most other schools).

You do realize Izzo is one of his best friends...right?

Hey, how about Gonzaga into the C7....how's that going?  You were pretty connected and I was expecting to hear that news by now.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:31:32 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
Funny thing is that his mentor, Izzo, is said to be a great guy. Personable, approachable, genuine.

Hmm...I've also heard that Izzo is dirty and that is how he won the Dawson recruitment. I will say with no certainty do I know that to be true and it could very well simply be a false rumor, but there really aren't any coaches out there that haven't had negative things said about them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »
There's all sorts of under the table type stuff in CBB.   No one is immune.

I will say Crean winning big at Indiana is not good for us.    We're starting to look like a school holding a coach back from winning it all.  Since Indy "plugged in" Crean to the Indiana AAU scene he's taken off.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »
Crean's behavior in the case outlined by klyrish is beyond outrageous; it is weird. Who brings their 3 y/o kid to their workplace then demands everyone celebrate his birthday? And since Crean is in a position of authority, and obviously abuses that power, people are compelled to participate. Stories such as kylrish's demonstrate Crean to be a sick, twisted arsehole. Worse, because he has power, he is dangerous. kylrish has every right to be angry about that event. It is demeaning and abusive to treat employees that way. Funny thing is that Crean brought cake but not enough for everyone...people were therefore forced to stand around singing songs and watch the Crean's stuff BD cake into their mouths! Fugging incredible. You could not make that up.

I'm glad to see an anonymous post on the internet is rock solid evidence for you.

Believe 1/2 of what you see and none of what you hear, gentleman.

Keefe, clearly you never served in the armed forces and learned these type of valuable lessons. My advice is for you to quit whatever you are doing, enlist in the airforce, and actually learn something about the real world.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:08:14 AM by Guns n Ammo »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Therapy sessions would go a long way in establishing TC's credibility.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »
I4 was the master of pretending to want to talk to you, but spent the whole time looking over your shoulder for someone better to talk to.

Wow.  I can't believe you posted this.  Why?  This is exactly what happened to me the only time I met him.  I never made a big deal about it because it was one isolated incident but it happened to me and it formed my opinion about him.

It was at his introduction to Marquette on campus and there was a huge reception line with TC and coaches.  Everyone filed in line to shake his hand and chat briefly with him.  He barely looked at me and was looking over my shoulder at who knows what.

Again, I'm just a bozo alum who is insignificant in the whole scheme of things and never mentioned this because of this reason.  But when you brought this up, had to mention it to all...

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
My advice is for you to quit whatever you are doing, enlist in the airforce, and actually learn something about the real world.

Keefe, don't do it!  It's a trick!  Believe none of what you hear!  Believe none of what you hear!  (And half of what you see.)

dpucane

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »
You guys are pathetic. Tom Crean has to shake 1000 hands a day but somehow is supposed to make your handshake EXTRA SPECIAL :) :D ? He doesn't remember you or most of the people he's had to meet. This goes for most of the great coaches out there. In fact, being sociable is almost contradictory to being a great coach. Those two things usually can't fit together. Great coaching usually requires an introverted obsessiveness that borders on personality disorder in some cases. It's not his job to make you all feel warm inside. It's his job to win basketball games, and he did that here better than most while bringing our program back.

Then he had to leave. Yes, he had to take that job. And no he didn't handle it the right way. He should have told his players earlier. But things don't always work out. He probably regrets how that worked out. And if he doesn't regret, f@#$ him he's gone and that's the end of it. And he left us with Buzz, who's better for our program anyway. Everything worked out.

Tom Crean has been gone for 5 years. Move on. These threads are starting to get sad

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2013, 11:39:22 AM »
Despicable treatment of fellow human beings...funny, especially after an article that just talks about whe he did for his fellow human beings.  You have an interesting definition of the word despicable, especially when we don't even know if what was said is true.  It always entertains me some of the posts about him which often are from a random poster that comes on here that is never heard from before or since that has some story of treachery.  Plenty of MU coaches that have stories not very kind toward other people...Kevin O'Neill, Mike Deane, Tom Crean, etc.  Welcome to MU (and most other schools).

You do realize Izzo is one of his best friends...right?

Hey, how about Gonzaga into the C7....how's that going?  You were pretty connected and I was expecting to hear that news by now.

The article was about Crean's relationship with Wade for Chrissakes. Crean doesn't sh1t on Wade because Wade is an NBA star. Crean sh1ts on anyone else who cannot offer him any sort of advantage, benefit, or gain.

especially when we don't even know if what was said is true Frankly, I believe the people on this board who relate their personal stories of their interactions with this prick.

Izzo is his mentor and Crean considers Izzo a best friend but I wouldn't say Izzo considers Crean a best friend. Do your homework.

As for Gonzaga, they were asked to consider joining and they are looking at a number of issues. The only update I know of is they are looking at the possibility of a group of western schools as a package to include Zags, BYU, StM, USAFA among others. No news does not mean no activity. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »
The amount of butthurt in this thread is amazing....

"Crean didn't look into my eyes when I shook his hand."

"He didn't drop everything he was doing and treat me like the most important thing in his life."

Honestly, do you guys know how pathetic this sounds?  You sound like a bunch of 8th grade girls dealing with their ex-boyfriends. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »

"Crean didn't look into my eyes when I shook his hand."

"He didn't drop everything he was doing and treat me like the most important thing in his life."

Honestly, do you guys know how pathetic this sounds?  You sound like a bunch of 8th grade girls dealing with their ex-boyfriends. 

Should be fair game for the common man to talk about their bad experiences with Crean.   Part of Crean's allure is he's obsessed with winning and being involved with powerful people.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
There's all sorts of under the table type stuff in CBB.   No one is immune.

I will say Crean winning big at Indiana is not good for us.    We're starting to look like a school holding a coach back from winning it all.  Since Indy "plugged in" Crean to the Indiana AAU scene he's taken off.

Totally agree with this.  That's why I say thanks for what you did while you were here, but I hope you lose every game at IU.  I'd like Buzz to have Billy Clyde & Tommy Boy's failures in the back of his mind if a perceived "better" job ever opens up and he gets a call.  He has us on the verge of something very special and it'd be a shame if he left before he got us there.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »
I'm glad to see an anonymous post on the internet is rock solid evidence for you.

Believe 1/2 of what you see and none of what you hear, gentleman.

Sorry, but when even TC's biggest defender/apologist acknowledges that he's a class A prick, a phony and a user....

I don't care if you worship the guy - free country and all of that. But get your head out of the sand.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

WTF? Pulling a "quote" out of your ass may be an explanation for your "butthurt".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
WTF? Pulling a "quote" out of your ass may be an explanation for your "butthurt".

It's not my fault you can't figure out hyperbole. 

But feel free to continue your whining.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »
And where brother John got the idea to deep six friend, mentor and former boss Cam Cameron.

...and then make the Super Bowl.

Oh...and Cameron called it a "brilliant move" afterward.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21610501/cam-cameron-calls-move-to-fire-him-brilliant

And then he said this:

"I have so much respect for the organization and the people who made the decision there's no way I could be bitter. No mixed emotions. Something needed to be done. If it had to be me so John Harbaugh and everybody could benefit, I'm fine with that. Any time you make a change at head coach, coordinator and quarterback it's a gamble. But great leaders make smart gambles."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-27/sports/ct-spt-0128-haugh-chicago--20130128_1_ravens-offensive-coordinator-cam-cameron-john-harbaugh

But I bet John Harbaugh won't look longingly in your eyes when he shakes your hand either.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:50:35 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
People...TC did not leave MU, he was forced out. 

False.  He'd still be the coach now at MU if he wanted to be.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »

...and then make the Super Bowl.

Oh...and Cameron called it a "brilliant move" afterward.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21610501/cam-cameron-calls-move-to-fire-him-brilliant

And then he said this:

"I have so much respect for the organization and the people who made the decision there's no way I could be bitter. No mixed emotions. Something needed to be done. If it had to be me so John Harbaugh and everybody could benefit, I'm fine with that. Any time you make a change at head coach, coordinator and quarterback it's a gamble. But great leaders make smart gambles."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-27/sports/ct-spt-0128-haugh-chicago--20130128_1_ravens-offensive-coordinator-cam-cameron-john-harbaugh

But I bet John Harbaugh won't look longingly in your eyes when he shakes your hand either.

I can't help it if you can't get an obvious joke. But by all means, continue your whining.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
I can't help it if you can't get an obvious joke. But by all means, continue your whining.

Don't bother, Lenny. The guys a tool. Just like Crean.

Death on call