[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: "Greatest teammate I ever had"  (Read 9742 times)

Marqevans

• All American
Re: "Greatest teammate I ever had"
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
I remember Luke walking into the Gym bar after he had decided to leave for the pros.  Somebody played "Be true to your school" on the juke box and Luke walked out.  Recently read where Luke tried to reverse his decision but the NCAA wouldn't let him.  Unlike with Jim Chones, Al didn't think Luke was ready for the pros.  boy was he wrong!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 10:57:15 PM »
I remember Luke walking into the Gym bar after he had decided to leave for the pros.  Somebody played "Be true to your school" on the juke box and Luke walked out.  Recently read where Luke tried to reverse his decision but the NCAA wouldn't let him.  Unlike with Jim Chones, Al didn't think Luke was ready for the pros.  boy was he wrong!

Lucas went to the ABA and tore things up there before coming to the NBA and excelling.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »
He does look like Taylor.

Correction: Taylor looks like Luke.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 02:20:25 AM »
Best Marquette-bred NBA player other than #3 on the Miami Heat.

Luke defined the prototypical modern 4. He had a long, productive career. I would argue that Thompson was a much more dominant pro player though for a shorter period of time. Make no mistake - If Al didn't sign Brute Force out of Erasmus HS there might not have been a Maurice Lucas at Marquette. The Destroyer put Marquette and Al on the map and he has actively contributed to the program for more than 30 years. Adolph Rupp wouldn't give him the time of day but leaders from all walks of life have since singled him out for praise. I am amazed at how little mention Thompson gets in discussions on these pages. He dominated at every level - NYC hoops, Marquette, and the pros. He could have played longer but he took Al's advice, "Use basketball, don't let it use you." He therefore jumped at an offer from Briggs & Stratton to enter the corporate world when he was with the Bucks and never looked back. Thompson was the most important figure in MU hoops for many reasons and his contributions continue through today.

Death on call

emort

• Walk-On
  • Warriors Forever!!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
WHAT a stud!!
They used to have a game of horse as halftime entertainment on the NBA games. Bracketed, tournament style. Mo was up against Calvin Murphy, a tough, hot shooting, small (5'9") guard with Houston. The backboards back then had 4 posts coming up to each corner, the game down to Mo taking the last shot. He jumped grabbed one of the lower corner posts and dunked the ball. Calvin retrieved the ball, smiled and handed it to Mo.
Very entertaining.

Also a great clip of the NBA Finals v. 76ers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3C-LQWF2s

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »

brandx

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »
After watching that fight again, he was a man amongst men. He was bigger than life and today's younger fans would have loved him and Earl Tatum and the boys a great deal.

Must be about the same age - they would both rate among my top 5 all-time.

Noticed someone else made a Steve Taylor comparison. I've said that before as well. Mo might have had an inch on steve, but with a year or two in the weight room, they will have very similar bodies. Don't know if he (or anyone else) can match Mo's toughness tho'.

He was a MAN!!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »
If I ever saw him walking down a street, I would jump to the other side especially if I didn't know him.

Huge. Imposing. Built.

But he do great things with his Foundation and for MU and the NBA.

RIP, big man.
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 06:56:42 PM »
Luke was a gentle giant off the court. During my "Individual and Dual Sports" class, Luke was a member of my 4 man bowling team along with Sugar. It was a riot as neither had any bowling experience to speak of.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
Luke was a gentle giant off the court. During my "Individual and Dual Sports" class, Luke was a member of my 4 man bowling team along with Sugar. It was a riot as neither had any bowling experience to speak of.

Did he break any pins?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »
Must be about the same age - they would both rate among my top 5 all-time.

Noticed someone else made a Steve Taylor comparison. I've said that before as well. Mo might have had an inch on steve, but with a year or two in the weight room, they will have very similar bodies. Don't know if he (or anyone else) can match Mo's toughness tho'.

He was a MAN!!

Great thought, but Taylor is light years away from being anything like Lucas. Many, many light years. At his core, Taylor is a 3 while Lucas was the protypical 4, arguably one of the best in basketball history.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 10:07:16 PM »
Great thought, but Taylor is light years away from being anything like Lucas. Many, many light years. At his core, Taylor is a 3 while Lucas was the protypical 4, arguably one of the best in basketball history.

He defined the modern PF. SI had a great shot of him in a Portland Alley in a denim outfit, arms crossed across his chest, glaring at the camera. The article called him the nastiest Sonofabitch in pro sports. I would not disagree.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8561/index.htm

Scroll down to this guy's Dec 27, 2010 entry. He has included Luke's Obit that has the photo I mention

http://williamt777.blogspot.com/2010_12_01_archive.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:15:55 PM by keefe »

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »
two biggest shots in MU history:

1}  Jerome's shot against  NC Charlotte

2)  Turnaround J to beat Wisco with Al jumping on the scorers table and the Hughes Twin father giving Al the finger!

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »
He defined the modern PF. SI had a great shot of him in a Portland Alley in a denim outfit, arms crossed across his chest, glaring at the camera. The article called him the nastiest Sonofabitch in pro sports. I would not disagree.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8561/index.htm

Scroll down to this guy's Dec 27, 2010 entry. He has included Luke's Obit that has the photo I mention

http://williamt777.blogspot.com/2010_12_01_archive.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
two biggest shots in MU history:

1}  Jerome's shot against  NC Charlotte

2)  Turnaround J to beat Wisco with Al jumping on the scorers table and the Hughes Twin father giving Al the finger!

Not in the same league as Whitehead's shot because it wasn't in the Final Four, but beyond that, I'm rather partial to Rivers' halfcourt shot against ND. Probably my favorite memory from any MU game I personally attended.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
Doc's shot was awesome but I put Luke's buzzer beater over UW ahead of it. No doubt the Doc shot was heard around Milwaukee that day. I was old enough to drink for that one and it was long afternoon and night.

emort

• Walk-On
  • Warriors Forever!!
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
Maybe it was urban legend but I remember the story that went was that Lucas told Al McGuire he would never play for him again after Al got the two technical fouls that lead to them losing vs. NC State in the title game in '74.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
Maybe it was urban legend but I remember the story that went was that Lucas told Al McGuire he would never play for him again after Al got the two technical fouls that lead to them losing vs. NC State in the title game in '74.

Urban BS is more like it. Luke was always close with Al for years after he left MU.

That NCSU team was incredible...Thompson, Towe, Burleson, Rivers. Stoddard, Spence.

That Marquette team was, too: Luke, Bo, Marcus, Lucky Lloyd, The Black Jerry West, Homan.

Al's 2 T's were bone headed but I wouldn't discount the fact that NCSU was tough. Of all the players on the court that night the best by far was David Thompson.

Death on call

feedback