Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson  (Read 25772 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Henry Ellenson
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 02:55:21 PM »
The six who interviewed when Rick left were:  Dick Versace, Moe Iba, Ric Cobb, Mel Hankinson, Newell and Dukiet. Quentin Quade was the VP of Admin running the Athletic Board review (also the guy who had run ins with Al). Newell thought he had a better chance of winning at UALR with a team led Pete Meyers and didn't want to leave as he saw MU as a stepping stone on the decline. Never bought the cover story of his contract buy-out as he made $50k and MU was offering $200k. Purportedly Dick Bennett wanted in but he was only in Year 1 at UWGB.  Versace was under investigation at Bradley and bowed out.  The committee wanted young but an experienced head coach. Dukiet had a good pedigree and good references from Brown, Packer, Heathcote, Carril (whom he worked for).

With the advent of the BE and ESPN, MU was shut out of NYC.  With Al retiring and WGN and their cable reach, DePaul rose.  Rick lost out on some key locals like Olson and Wolf, and was feeling the pressure.  Plus, he was rough around the edges with alums, admin and press.

Hank wanted to step in but was vetoed. He retired as AD within a year, and Cords stepped in and slowly changed things for the much better, including dissolving the Athletic Board.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:50:45 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
Good post, Blackheart, but I do remember Newell accepting the position, talking on presser about wife excited to move here, and then crying on later presser when saying he can't leave LR.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
Good post, Blackheart, but I do remember Newell accepting the position, talking on presser about wife excited to move here, and then crying on later presser when saying he can't leave LR.

Thanks. I don't know that he ever accepted in public, although MU leaked it. I think the press coverage you are referring to was on the final visit here when he got the offer, they were then going back home to "sleep on it". Code for parlaying it into a bigger offer back in Little Rock. MU, with egg on its face with Rick up and quitting and with Newell rejecting, went to the Piano Man within a day.

Buck Rayner did a lot to bring in laity into the school administration, but this was an example of it run a muck with management by committee without specialized professional leadership that Cords eventually provided. Oversight is one thing, day to day is another.  Why anyone would think a Poly Sci prof., alum  or Jesuit was qualified to handle this specialized hiring successfully is still beyond me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:39:31 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
Thanks. I don't know that he ever accepted in public, although MU leaked it. I think the press coverage you are referring to was on the final visit here when he got the offer, they were then going back home to "sleep on it". Code for parlaying it into a bigger offer back in Little Rock. MU, with egg on its face with Rick up and quitting and with Newell rejecting, went to the Piano Man within a day.

Buck Rayner did a lot to bring in laity into the school administration, but this was an example of it run a muck with management by committee without specialized professional leadership that Cords eventually provided. Oversight is one thing, day to day is another.  Why anyone would think a Poly Sci prof., alum  or Jesuit was qualified to handle this specialized hiring successfully is still beyond me.

A lengthy time reading the majority of MUScoop posts has taught me that any thought will eventually find believers.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:53 AM »
Per Evan Daniels, Marquette visting Ellenson today

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
Looks like a Badger to me. I'd stick to recruiting Diamond.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »

"Looks" like a Badger?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
Traditional
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Based on the number of times you have seen him play???

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
Well...he's big.  Doesn't look like he could jump over a piece of paper, but he's big. 

Let's be fair.  Are we talking about standard printer paper or resume paper? 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »
Sultan

Based on who the Badgers have successfully recruiting in WI vs who we have successfully recruited of late. Plus the family hisory.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
Based on who the Badgers have successfully recruiting in WI vs who we have successfully recruited of late.

Again...what does that mean?

Plus the family hisory.

His father apparently holds no grudges toward Marquette whatsoever.  So you can cross that off your list.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
His father apparently holds no grudges toward Marquette whatsoever.  So you can cross that off your list.

I didn't know the background here so I looked it up in case anyone else is interested.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19871110&id=1UMxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nxIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6604,1882869

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
Take the first one to sign. I don't care if Stone is number 1 right now. Ellenson may end up being the better player or at least pretty close. It would be a mistake waiting for Stone I think. We've been down that road before. Think York/Dunn.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »
Sultan

Thanks for update on Dad not holding a grudge, glad to hear. Do you think we have legit shot at him or do Badgers have insight track? He is mentioned often on UW recruiting sites.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
Take the first one to sign. I don't care if Stone is number 1 right now. Ellenson may end up being the better player or at least pretty close. It would be a mistake waiting for Stone I think. We've been down that road before. Think York/Dunn.

You can take both.  Their games are compatible to being on the floor at the same time.

Do you think we have legit shot at him or do Badgers have insight track? He is mentioned often on UW recruiting sites.

I have no clue.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »

You can take both.  Their games are compatible to being on the floor at the same time.

I'm pretty sure if Buzz landed Henry Ellenson, he'd still manage to find a spot for Diamond Stone on the roster.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »
Stone and Ellenson are completely different.

See my comments on page 1 of this thread... and also here

Quote from: truth
You may hear Ellenson called a center by some, but that’s selling him short. Physically he looks the part and he can certainly battle on the blocks, but his skill and athletic ability sets him far apart from other kids his size........

PS - Rice Lake will be playing in MN this Saturday. They'll go against Prior Lake (MN) who has a 7-footer that is headed to Utah State. It's a good, all day event, btw... MN/WI Border Battle.. Rice Lake is the 6th game of the day.. the finale is Madison Memorial vs. Tyus Jones & Apple Valley.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
My question would be that right now it is almost impossible to watch the Badgers, so who in there right mind would want to play for them.  I sure hope he puts the ball in Koenigs hand
right away, and says son we are going to do some runiing, I am even tired of less than 50 points a game. I forgot he scored 51 against MU.  Of course, another big white kid fits the mold.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
If Dukiet was the HC, I'd think about transferring too.
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:20 PM »
If Dukiet was the HC, I'd think about transferring too.

There wouldn't be much to think about, just go.  Bob Knight minus the coaching skills.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
I know he's very young, but there is nothing going on with the left hand. Hopefully he has time to develop.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
Ellenson can play. If Stone is No. 1 in his class, he should be dominating now.
I hope Stone gets Ellenson's enthusiasm for the game.