[Today at 11:59:50 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shumpert  (Read 15331 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
Re: Shumpert
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »
2002mualum ... you are misunderstanding me....I totally beleive that McNeal will get drafted..just not after this year...in 2 years he will my guess 90% chance of getting drafted I only put 10% will not becuase he needs to fix the turnovers and improve the J, 10% chance he does not do that 90% chance he will and gets drafted....As a matter of fact I have compared him to Duhon numerosu times on this board and feel he could fill a role in the NBA like Duhon.  I simply objected to the 3 and out comments...he has too far to go in one year.

Same with Wesley as a matte of fact I comapred him to Russell Carter and I feel after 4 years could be alot like him NY used McKie...again a similar player...I think in two years he could get drafted.  but no way after this year he has even farther to go than Jerel.

I agree Wesley is good at many things ...they come natural to him he is a great athlete...but to take it to the next level he has to improve his skill set...Ie his fundamentals...the reason he tarvels alot...the reason he dribbles the ball away often when driving is he neds to tighten his handle thru hundreds of hours of skill work...he is behind if he wants to be an elite colleg player...he like Jerel also needs to become a much better shooter. 

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
Saw this in an ESPN chat.....

Anthony (Huntington Beach, CA): Where do you think Iman Shumpert will end up? He has trimmed his list down to UNC, Marquette, and Georgia Tech.

Bob Gibbons: That is purely speculative. UNC has been the most successful in the long term, but that was the school that offered him last. Marquette is the closest school. They had a player from his area, Wade, go to Marquette. But I would guess right now, maybe Georgia Tech.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2007, 05:58:32 PM »
I heard that Shumpert's visit to MU went very well.  I heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, who heard from a guy that MU is in very good standing.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 06:40:10 PM »
Anyone ever wonder if Shumpert reads this thread?!? ;)
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
2002mualum ... you are misunderstanding me....I totally beleive that McNeal will get drafted..just not after this year...in 2 years he will my guess 90% chance of getting drafted I only put 10% will not becuase he needs to fix the turnovers and improve the J, 10% chance he does not do that 90% chance he will and gets drafted....As a matter of fact I have compared him to Duhon numerosu times on this board and feel he could fill a role in the NBA like Duhon.  I simply objected to the 3 and out comments...he has too far to go in one year.

Same with Wesley as a matte of fact I comapred him to Russell Carter and I feel after 4 years could be alot like him NY used McKie...again a similar player...I think in two years he could get drafted.  but no way after this year he has even farther to go than Jerel.

I agree Wesley is good at many things ...they come natural to him he is a great athlete...but to take it to the next level he has to improve his skill set...Ie his fundamentals...the reason he tarvels alot...the reason he dribbles the ball away often when driving is he neds to tighten his handle thru hundreds of hours of skill work...he is behind if he wants to be an elite colleg player...he like Jerel also needs to become a much better shooter. 

HAHA... I have to be honest, I think we are both saying the same thing, but obviously typing it differently.

Let me be more clear: I don't expect Wes or Jerel to be drafted after this year... but in response to another poster I said I was crossing my fingers that neither "blows up" to the point where he/they would think about entering like DJ did (stranger things have happened)

Again, I don't EXPECT them to leave early, but I'm not counting them out given that they both will be 3 year starters in the Big East by the end of this season.

They both have a ton of natural talent, and obviously have developed nicely in the past 2 seasons. I really don't see "major" flaws in either of their games... I just think they need to practice and play more and just get sharper in all aspects.

Both can handle the ball, both can rebound, both can score on the break, both are streaky shooters, both are good defenders (obviously McNeal excels in this category), Matthews is a very good/great free throw shooter, etc.. They both are pretty well rounded and both are good athletes who haven't reached their full potential yet. 

Are they good enough to get drafted? Well, I'm not sure, the NBA is really full of some freakish athletes, so sometimes its not necessarily about a guy's ability to play basketball, but his physical tools and how high his "ceiling" is.