Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: B1G is not done with expansion  (Read 5371 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
B1G is not done with expansion
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:21:40 AM »
And this means the ACC is at high risk of being raided again

Gee told Athletic Council Big Ten expansion talks "ongoing

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/blogging-the-buckeyes/2013/01/gee-to-athletic-council-big-ten-expansion-talks-ongoing.html

Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee told the school’s Athletic Council in December that discussions about further expansion for the Big Ten conference are “ongoing.”

In November, the league announced the addition of Maryland from the Atlantic Coast Conference and Rutgers from the Big East. Nebraska joined the Big Ten for the 2011-12 school year after leaving the Big 12.

It doesn’t appear that the Big Ten is necessarily content to stay at 14 members. According to the minutes of the Dec. 5 Athletic Council meeting obtained by the Dispatch, Gee said “there has been ongoing discussion” about expansion and “believes there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.”

When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further south in the (E)ast and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”

He did not specify any potential targets but said they will make sure any new school has “like-minded academic integrity.”

The Athletic Council is expected to recommend formally today an increase in Ohio State football ticket prices from $70 to $79 with the addition of "premier" games that would cost significantly more. The board of trustees is expected to vote on the proposal late next week.

POSTED BY BILL RABINOWITZ ON JAN 25, 2013 | 0 COMMENTS BY: BILL RABINOWITZ

wadesworld

• All American
Re: B1G is not done with expansion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Marquette to the B1G.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

boyonthedock

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »
Buzz to USC

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
Marquette to the B1G.

The article did say they were looking at some eastern and midwest schools.  I get the eastern part, that is raiding the ACC.

But, assuming the are not ready to take basketball only, I have to assume those schools are ND and Missouri.  Problem is they both just jumped to new conferences.  If not them, who?  I cannot believe they are considering Cincy.

Any ideas.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »
The article did say they were looking at some eastern and midwest schools.  I get the eastern part, that is raiding the ACC.

But, assuming the are not ready to take basketball only, I have to assume those schools are ND and Missouri.  Problem is they both just jumped to new conferences.  If not them, who?  I cannot believe they are considering Cincy.

Any ideas.

Without a doubt, Notre Dame.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »

Any ideas.

One idea, which has been discussed before in various media: North Carolina.

Academically, it is considered "like-minded" to the top Big Ten schools. It has top-tier athletics. And it provides the extra bonus of dealing a severe blow to the ACC if it happens. Aside from Notre Dame, UNC makes more sense than any other school mentioned as possible Big Ten targets.

This has been a topic of worry in N.C., with the general feeling being that if UNC goes, the ACC would fall apart -- similar to what would have happened to the Big 12 had Texas left a couple years ago.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »

Any ideas.

Kansas. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
As has been discussed before...

If there is a school out there that the BIG10 thinks will help them make more money, they will add them.

At this point, that does not include MU or any basketball-only schools.

In 5 years, I have no idea what the landscape will look like.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
One idea, which has been discussed before in various media: North Carolina.

Academically, it is considered "like-minded" to the top Big Ten schools. It has top-tier athletics. And it provides the extra bonus of dealing a severe blow to the ACC if it happens. Aside from Notre Dame, UNC makes more sense than any other school mentioned as possible Big Ten targets.

This has been a topic of worry in N.C., with the general feeling being that if UNC goes, the ACC would fall apart -- similar to what would have happened to the Big 12 had Texas left a couple years ago.

UNC is a state school.  If they move the state legislature has to approve.  The NC legislature has tons of NC State alum.  They are demanding that UNC and NC State are a packaged deal.  They have to both move to a new conference.  That is a deal killer.

After that Virginia is high on the list of B1G targets.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »
Kansas. 

Makes sense but since this is about football, Kansas State makes more sense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »

But it's not just about football...otherwise Maryland and Rutgers make no sense.  Kansas is a better academic fit and has four times the endowment as KSU.  Similar to the difference between Iowa and Iowa State.  Both are fine schools, but Kansas is better.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
But it's not just about football...otherwise Maryland and Rutgers make no sense.  Kansas is a better academic fit and has four times the endowment as KSU.  Similar to the difference between Iowa and Iowa State.  Both are fine schools, but Kansas is better.

It may not be 100 percent about football,  but it sure isn't about academics or endowments either. Maryland and Rutgers are only decent schools with unimpressive endowments.
Maryland and Rutgers were added to expandg the Big ? presence (and network) into those markets. Academic fit is simply the bull---- rationale the college presidents use to convince themselves it's anything more than a money grab.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:29:57 AM by Pakuni »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »

You're right but you're wrong. This is about football, but it's not about good football. Basically, here's the Big Teen checklist:

• Are you a state school?
  • Do you have a football program?
  • Are you an AAU member?
Kansas can answer yes to all of those. K-State cannot. The only reason Notre Dame is an exception is because they have a following that eclipses most state schools and they would probably be given AAU membership with the support of the Big Teen schools.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
You're right but you're wrong. This is about football, but it's not about good football. Basically, here's the Big Teen checklist:

• Are you a state school?
  • Do you have a football program?
  • Are you an AAU member?

You're forgetting the #1 question: How big is your TV market?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
I hope Larry is using his back channels to let Duke know that if they are looking for a place to land, we are willing to consider it.   ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
I think its widely held that the top targets are ND, UNC, UVA.

I personally have to think that the poaching wouldn't get beyond ND and UVA - unless UVA faces some of the same difficulties breaking away from VATech that would likely block UNC. 

If things get outside those top 3, who else would be on the radar? FSU and Duke would be tops for bringing TV value.  Does BC have enough pull on the Boston market to be worth it? Would a school like Tenn be willing to leave the SEC?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
You're forgetting the #1 question: How big is your TV market?

If you are a state school, you have the entire state. Nebraska has a population of less than 2M but met all of the above qualifications. Kansas would be a lock for Big Teen interest, as would North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia Tech.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »
If ND joined the Big 10, they would probably have to give up their monopoly TV deal with NBC. ND doesn't share; it's all about ND and screw everybody else. In that sense, they're a lot like Texas & their Longhorn network.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »
If you are a state school, you have the entire state. Nebraska has a population of less than 2M but met all of the above qualifications. Kansas would be a lock for Big Teen interest, as would North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia Tech.

The TV markets that UNC, Virginia and G Tech bring are much larger that what Kansas delivers. I think that makes them more attractive than the Jayhawks.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
This is another reason why I think the B7 should stay small for now, just take X and Butler and stay at 9. There might be better opportunities in the next few years depending on how everything plays out.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
I hate this for everything it stands for: greed, destruction of traditions, trampling of smaller schools.

The NCAA tournament provided the opportunity for the little guy to win it all.

Are these mega conferences (read: large state schools) finally going to render the small private school as insignificant, competitive options?
SS Marquette

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
This is another reason why I think the B7 should stay small for now, just take X and Butler and stay at 9. There might be better opportunities in the next few years depending on how everything plays out.

I've said this all along. Why settle for Dayton and SLU when things are still moving? What is the rush to get in a conference with them?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
I've said this all along. Why settle for Dayton and SLU when things are still moving? What is the rush to get in a conference with them?

Because a television partner, such as Fox, wants content.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »
It may not be 100 percent about football,  but it sure isn't about academics or endowments either. Maryland and Rutgers are only decent schools with unimpressive endowments.
Maryland and Rutgers were added to expandg the Big ? presence (and network) into those markets. Academic fit is simply the bull---- rationale the college presidents use to convince themselves it's anything more than a money grab.

Oh I agree that this is their primary aim.  But academics is one of the reasons that they would look at one program over another.

sarcastro

• Starter
  • Live Comedy. Dead Serious.
    • Coalition Theater
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »
UNC is a state school.  If they move the state legislature has to approve.  The NC legislature has tons of NC State alum.  They are demanding that UNC and NC State are a packaged deal.  They have to both move to a new conference.  That is a deal killer.

After that Virginia is high on the list of B1G targets.

Virginia might have the same problem.  When the ACC first expanded the state wasn't going to approve of the move unless VA Tech was invited. 

feedback