[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best MLB of all time  (Read 4768 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Best MLB of all time
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
Heard Suggs say that Ray Lewis would go down as the best MLB of all time.  I disagree.

Better choices:

Butkus
Nitschke
George
Singletary
Huff

and none of them committed murder or turned states' evidence and ratted out their friends to obtain a plea bargain.  Care to add to the list?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Best MLB of all time
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
AJ Hawk

:D :'(
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
Yeah. He's better. Butkus and Nitschke wouldn't last a season in today's NFL.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
They are in their 70's with bad knees, so how could they?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
17 NFL years, like 12 Pro Bowls, 7 years 1st team All Pro, 2 defensive POY, Super Bowl MVP.  Very impressive.

After his 2000 criminal incident, he turned his life around and never had one bad incident since then. Been a model citizen and is adored in Baltimore. 

Best in modern era, yes.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
They are in their 70's with bad knees, so how could they?

There's that.

There is also that their 'style' is no longer permitted in the NFL.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
Loved Singletary, was the best I'd watched until Lewis came along. There have been better OLBs (LT comes to mind) but he's definitely the best of the past 30 years, I'd say.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »
Interesting question.  The game is so different today then it was even 10 years ago.  The passing rules have changed so much, less emphasis on the run, etc.  They were interviewing Terry Bradshaw on Friday night out here and he was saying how his first ever 300 yard game was in the Super Bowl.  His second 300 yard game was in another Super Bowl.  In total, he had three 300 yard games in his history.  My point being that it was just a different game with run first type of thinking which also impacts the defense as well.

No particular order

Lambert
Singletary
Butkus
Lambert
Lewis
How about Patrick Willis....he's a total stud
Lanier
Seau
Nitschke
Huff
Bednarik
Carson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
Butkus, Lambert and Lanier are my top 3.  Butkus had no talent in front of him. He could be the greatest today.  Just a bone chilling hitter from tackle to tackle but could also cover the pass.

http://youtu.be/sxR9qYSHt8U

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
I'm a huge Bears fan, but Singletary does not belong in the discussion. He was good, don't get me wrong, but he also had a front four of Hampton, McMichael, Dent and Fridge Perry (underrated). Dent and Hampton are in the HOF and McMichael could make a case (although it'll never happen). Frankly, I think Urlacher is a better football player than Singletary ever was and I wouldn't put him on any of these lists.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
I'm a huge Bears fan, but Singletary does not belong in the discussion. He was good, don't get me wrong, but he also had a front four of Hampton, McMichael, Dent and Fridge Perry (underrated). Dent and Hampton are in the HOF and McMichael could make a case (although it'll never happen). Frankly, I think Urlacher is a better football player than Singletary ever was and I wouldn't put him on any of these lists.

Not to mention he had Wilson and Marshall on either side of him.

Lewis is the best MLB of all time, and I don't really think it's close.  Nitschke, Butkus and Singletary were old time run-pluggers who didn't have the lateral speed for today's game.  Lewis could pretty much do everything that was asked of him when he was at his peak - stuff the run inside, rush the passer, cover from sideline to sideline.  And to top it off he was an excellent pass defender.

I would put Jack Lambert for sure in the top five.  He was a couple decades ahead of the position.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »

Agree on Singletary - wasn't even the Bears best linebacker (Wilbur Marshall).

For me, Butkus is #1 and there are 10-15 guys tied for second.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »

Lewis is the best MLB of all time, and I don't really think it's close.  Nitschke, Butkus and Singletary were old time run-pluggers who didn't have the lateral speed for today's game.  Lewis could pretty much do everything that was asked of him when he was at his peak - stuff the run inside, rush the passer, cover from sideline to sideline.  And to top it off he was an excellent pass defender.

I would put Jack Lambert for sure in the top five.  He was a couple decades ahead of the position.

Butkus was better than Ray Lewis. He wasn't going to blow anyone away with his athleticism but he knew how to play football and was much better in pass coverage than he's typically given credit for. The guy had 22 INTs in 119 games (Lewis 31 in 228 games).

Lewis played nearly twice as many games so he played at a high level for a longer period of time and that can't be discounted. However, it should also be mentioned that Butkus' knees would have been in much better shape with modern medicine, prolonging his career and making him even more effective on the field.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »
Butkus was better than Ray Lewis. He wasn't going to blow anyone away with his athleticism but he knew how to play football and was much better in pass coverage than he's typically given credit for. The guy had 22 INTs in 119 games (Lewis 31 in 228 games).

Lewis played nearly twice as many games so he played at a high level for a longer period of time and that can't be discounted. However, it should also be mentioned that Butkus' knees would have been in much better shape with modern medicine, prolonging his career and making him even more effective on the field.

Agree, and Butkus played on bad teams that could double him and game plan away for him. Butkus was to linebacking what Jim Brown was to running backs - greatest of all time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »

Agree on Singletary, but as regards Butkus, he was much more than a run-plugger. All athletes have to be regarded "in their era" and in his Butkus could do it all - he not only stuffed the run and rushed the passer, he was easily the best MLB against the pass.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
Agree, and Butkus played on bad teams that could double him and game plan away for him. Butkus was to linebacking what Jim Brown was to running backs - greatest of all time.

He was also a heck of a high school basketball coach.  He won games even though a girl was his point guard!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »
Not a Bears fan. Indeed, I don't particularly like the Bears.

But unless you saw Butkus play, do not try to claim he wasn't an incredible, incredible MLB.

Very underrated pass defender. Very smart. Lethal hitter. Fantastic motor. Passion much like Ray Lewis'. Faster than he looked. Great size. Super nose for the ball (recovered 27 fumbles to go with 22 INTs in a very short time span).

And I agree with the poster who said today's medical advances would have let Butkus have a long, productive career. Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis played this entire season at a pretty high level after having undergone three major knee reconstructions. Butkus (and many others from his era) didn't stand a chance health-wise.

Couldn't play today? Please. He'd be a MONSTER today!

Ray Lewis is great for sure, though. Certainly among top 5 that I've seen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 07:03:06 AM »
Ray Lewis is undeniably the GOAT MLB.  Longevity, every stat, accolades, and respect from fellow players and coaches.

Butkus and Lambert are fighting it out for number 2.  But the way they played (the game was rougher) wouldn't be tolerated today...  They'd be fined every single game they played.

As for most overrated MLB of all time.  Brian Urlacher.  Always had a line in front of him... since everyone seems to want to use that excuse for Singletary (whom I think was better).

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
Manti Te'o will be the all time MLB.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
Manti Te'o will be the all time MLB.

You mean Hawaiian Katzenmoyer?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »
Ray Lewis is undeniably the GOAT MLB.  Longevity, every stat, accolades, and respect from fellow players and coaches.

Butkus and Lambert are fighting it out for number 2.  But the way they played (the game was rougher) wouldn't be tolerated today...  They'd be fined every single game they played.

As for most overrated MLB of all time.  Brian Urlacher.  Always had a line in front of him... since everyone seems to want to use that excuse for Singletary (whom I think was better).

Only a Packers fan would make this argument.

Most overrated: Junior Seau

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
Only a Packers fan would make this argument.

Most overrated: Junior Seau

I am Packer fan, but that has nothing to do with it.  What makes BU so great?  Watch the years when he didn't have the great DLine in front of him and observe how completely overrated he was.  The guy gets by a lot on reputation and the guys around him have a lot to do with how good he is.  I'm not saying he isn't a great player most of the time, I just wouldn't put him in my top 20.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »
I am Packer fan, but that has nothing to do with it.  What makes BU so great?  Watch the years when he didn't have the great DLine in front of him and observe how completely overrated he was.  The guy gets by a lot on reputation and the guys around him have a lot to do with how good he is.  I'm not saying he isn't a great player most of the time, I just wouldn't put him in my top 20.

For a majority of his career, he hasn't had a great line in front of him. His rookie season, for example, the starting D-line was Bryan Robinson, Jim Flanigan, Mike Wells and Phillip Daniels. Any greatness in that group? Urlacher had 123 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 INT and a fumble recovery that season.

Even if you're reasoning is flawed, I'm clearly not going to change your opinion. To each his own.

feedback