Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Uconn is not happy!  (Read 7708 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Uconn is not happy!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »
He makes a lot of good points.  Can't blame UConn fans for being bitter.

Bitterness toward the basketball schools is misplaced.  It doesn't matter that Penn State was denied admission or that the football schools never broke away as they decided to in 2003.  Even if both those decisions were reversed, the smaller Big East with only football schools still would have been poached off one by one by The Big 10, etc. when cable TV became the driving force behind conference affiliation.

The only thing that UConn has to be bitter about is that they were left behind (so far) when almost everyone else was asked to the dance.  If they are honest with themselves, they need to look at the UConn community for the villains responsible for them being left behind.  The number one villain would be whoever pissed off Boston College so badly that BC has always opposed UConn joining the ACC.  Villain number two would be Calhoun for recruiting the players who got UConn men's basketball on NCAA probation for poor academic advancement of it players.

Look in the mirror, dudes.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
UConn SUCKS. They were siding with Pitt and Syracuse, but got the shaft in the end. Tell to join savannah State, St. Leo's
Fairfield and the Little Sisters of the Poor.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I have no interest in UConn joining the C7, football or no football. And that's not to diminish the importance of 3 national championships. But I think the long-term success of any new league depends on all the schools sharing the strongest possible bond.

Yes, winning matters. So does revenue. But it's also true that private, Catholic universities have a different outlook than public universities. When making strategic decisions, MU considers unique factors (mission, faith, service) that don't apply to a school like UConn. And vice-versa. The common ties with Georgetown and the other schools make a difference.

Just as important, I also think UConn has a serious integrity problem. A 3-year probation for recruiting violations was a black eye for the Huskies, the university and the Big East. UNLV faced a similar situation 20+ years ago and arguably still hasn't fully recovered. Marquette can do better.

Agree with your concern about UConn's recent violations but to say that only small, private, religiously-affiliated schools should be considered is shortsighted.  Take the best sports programs possible that aren't going to bolt (or maybe even some that could bolt), get the TV coin, and move on.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
Agree with your concern about UConn's recent violations but to say that only small, private, religiously-affiliated schools should be considered is shortsighted.  Take the best sports programs possible that aren't going to bolt (or maybe even some that could bolt), get the TV coin, and move on.

+1

If Cincy Uconn and Memphis want into a basketball-only conference, it should happen.

Of course they do not want into a basketball-only conference so it will not happen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »
+1

If Cincy Uconn and Memphis want into a basketball-only conference, it should happen.

Only if they drop football. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Geno is butt hurt
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
Geno should think twice before taking some kind of "high road".  His own indiscretions place him a glass house where thou shalt not throw a stone.

What a jerk.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
"Auriemma theorized Tuesday that the seven schools stayed in the conference as long as there was money to be made. And now, with the conference struggling to secure a media-rights deal with its recent upheaval, the seven schools decided to exit."

Can't get anything past him....  Dude's a regular Sherlock Holmes.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
Geno sounds like an idiot.  I wonder if he ran that by UConn's SID before talking to ESPN.  Someone should be reminding him that UConn tried to bolt for the ACC (twice) and how there were these other schools that really broke the conference up for money... founding members like Syracuse. 

Nice UConn.... You stay classy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
Geno doesn't give a single example of a vote by the Catholic schools that screwed the conference.

D-bag.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
+1

Only if they drop football.  

.........to the same level (FCS) as Villanova, Georgetown, Butler, and Dayton.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:34:41 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.