Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton's AD Comments  (Read 12095 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Creighton's AD Comments
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »
Does NBCSports have anything similar to ESPN3? That's crucial IMO.

Not right now.... but St. John's does.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »
NBC Sports would be a viable alternative, but you have to realize that it puts us at a decided disadvantage. People won't be as quick to flip to that station. When you're in a bar with 2-3 TVs, how often do any of them have NBC Sports on? And how many have ESPN and/or ESPN2?
Brew, this is because they have the content.  If another network has comparable content that people want to watch, you will see this dynamic change over time.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 09:33:37 AM »

I think everyone will at some point in the not to distant future.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
They do alot of promotion during Sunday Night Football around a big immersive web experience they've created supporting that content.  I've never been to it so no idea how it works but it looks pretty cool.  I would wager they could/would do something for hoops if they secured it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »
I have a friend in the TV industry (Fox Sports) and he thinks NBC Sports is a decent bet because they are "hungry for content."

And NBC Sports has that brand new (well newly remodeled) big building in Stamford, CT to run the network taht they are "trying to fill.".  

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 09:40:19 AM »
Brew, this is because they have the content.  If another network has comparable content that people want to watch, you will see this dynamic change over time.

Also, viewership isn't what drives the current TV contract model... it's demand for the station on a package.  Viewership equates to advertising revenue, and right now, none of the cable networks seem to care about that.  They simply need content that is going to allow them to get the station on a basic cable lineup or charge a higher user fee if it already is.

If NBCSports carried the Super Bowl exclusively and showed fishing shows the other 364 days a year, they could care less about how many people are watching the channel because every cable and satellite distributor is going to be paying them a fat user fee for the entire year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »
Dayton definitely is the smaller fish, but considering the Great Midwest-Old Catholic alliance ties MU and DPU has, I think they'll be in the conversation.  Personally, would rather see Butler and VCU added.

VCU is/was a flash in the pan. No interest. Rather have Creighton and/or Dayton.
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
I have a friend in the TV industry (Fox Sports) and he thinks NBC Sports is a decent bet because they are "hungry for content."

I would agree with that sentiment.  Fox is another because they are going to launch a national Fox sports channel next year by rebranding one of their current, lesser viewed channels.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
I think everyone will at some point in the not to distant future.

Yes, but it will all be tied to authentication meaning you can't get it unless you subscribe to a distributor.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »
All I'm saying is this; ESPN has a vested interest in weakening the C7's negotiating position with regards to any potential future TV deal.  They will want that new league, but at a discount, like the A10 got.  So whatever you read coming from "industry sources" in an ESPN article know that those "sources" work for Bristol and want the C7 cheap.  

The best thing going for the C7 is there will be competition for that broadcast rights.  CBS, FOX, NBC will be players.  I'm hoping for NBC because they will be eager to fill content on NBC sports and will be willing to really help grow the league. It can be a differentiator in how the league is marketed.  I'm old enough to remember what WGN did for DePaul, and both the station and school benefited from the relationship.  I think an NBC/Big East deal can be similar on a larger scale.  If we as a collective Catholic conference are going to strike it out on our own, lets think bigger and newer.  Creat our own new brand with a willing partner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »
VCU is/was a flash in the pan. No interest. Rather have Creighton and/or Dayton.

When I think of VCU, I think of UNC-Charlotte during its CUSA heyday.  I just don't think that their future is assured.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:01 AM »
All I'm saying is this; ESPN has a vested interest in weakening the C7's negotiating position with regards to any potential future TV deal.  They will want that new league, but at a discount, like the A10 got.  So whatever you read coming from "industry sources" in an ESPN article know that those "sources" work for Bristol and want the C7 cheap.  

Agreed.  Mickey Mouse is a ruthless, manipulative bastard.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
Yes, but it will all be tied to authentication meaning you can't get it unless you subscribe to a distributor.

I've heard rumors of google or Apple wanting in on digital content production/distribution. Any truth to that? If they did it, there are an awful lot of ipads floating around these days.

LauxForThree

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 09:46:02 AM »
Agreed.  Mickey Mouse is a ruthless, manipulative bastard.

I don't trust the little rat either.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »
Butler and VCU would obviously be more desirable than Catholic schools if the conference does not want to be considered "the Catholic conference." That type of conference may not still well from a PR standpoint.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
Also, viewership isn't what drives the current TV contract model... it's demand for the station on a package.  Viewership equates to advertising revenue, and right now, none of the cable networks seem to care about that.  They simply need content that is going to allow them to get the station on a basic cable lineup or charge a higher user fee if it already is.

If NBCSports carried the Super Bowl exclusively and showed fishing shows the other 364 days a year, they could care less about how many people are watching the channel because every cable and satellite distributor is going to be paying them a fat user fee for the entire year.
Anybody (Chicos probably) know the ratio of revenue derived from distribution/advertising by cable networks? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »

If by flash in the pan, you mean six straight 20+ win seasons, six NCAA tourneys in the past nine seasons and a postseason appearance in eight of the last nine.
I'd take Creighton for several reasons over VCU, but I'll take their resume over that of Dayton any day.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 09:59:54 AM »
I still think despite being a geographic outlier, Gonzaga is as close to must-add as they come. They provide immediate name recognition, quality, and increased exposure.

Also, tell Purnell to get his act in gear! If Melvin and Young leave DePaul without ever sniffing a NCAA Tournament, that'd be really disappointing.

Gonzaga would be a great choice. I just do not see it happening. This league will be for all sports. The Zags will have the worst travel situation for all their games in every sport. Costly and a major drag for student athletes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »
I've heard rumors of google or Apple wanting in on digital content production/distribution. Any truth to that? If they did it, there are an awful lot of ipads floating around these days.

Sure, rumors have been around forever....until they are presented the price and then they go away.  The leagues, studios, networks, etc, have to guarantee their money.  So if they are getting billions from Charter, Directv, Comcast, Fios, Dish, Time Warner, etc, then any deal they do with an OTT (over the top) player has to make sense where they don't kill their revenue streams elsewhere.

This is why Netflix makes such a small profit, they're getting killed on content costs and inevitably if they plan on being around the next 5 to 10 years will have to jack up rates considerably.  Right now it's all a balancing act, but the rights owners know they can't go direct to the consumer without destroying their revenue streams.

I would also add that most of the data we are seeing as an industry is showing the the TV dominates, absolutely dominates viewing habits.  Sure, the use of video on smart phones and tablets has increased considerably, but not at the expense of the television.  In preference study after preference study, people would rather view their content on a large tv than PC, Tablet, Smartphone.  As such, how many people will throw dollars down to watch live sports that can be consumed on a small device that also has to deal with buffering, bandwidth connection, etc vs an appliance they turn on and it's just there. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:17:06 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
And yes, I expect good natured ribbing as well (and maybe bad natured too :) ).  Most of us remaining die-hard Demon fans know the crap our program has put on the court and realize we need to be pulled into this new league.  My hope is our leadership just stays silent and thank their stars that this is another opportunity to relaunch the program.  A viable DePaul can add a pretty damm strong asset to the new league given the untapped Chicago market. 

Welcome along for the ride!  A somewhat stronger DePaul benefits the entire league. Hopefully this opens the door to the local developments you'll need to achieve a higher level.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
So bottom line, between the lines (between the bottom lines?), if Creighton is invited they're in.  All indications are that our top of the list candidates also really want to be a part of this.  Very exciting.

chr31ter

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »
Another DePaul fan... pardon the Blue Demon Invasion (...turnabout is fair play!)

One of the things that Comcast/NBC has going for it is a network of Regional Sports Networks that also need programming.  There are Comcast SportsNets in New England, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Baltimore. That, and the parent company is an internet provider who happens to own an online video management company (http://www.theplatform.com) and who just signed a content sharing agreement with Yahoo!.

Wouldn't be so quick to rule out the attractiveness of Comcast/NBC.

As for DePaul, the culture that's been created there is one that almost breeds loyalty to a fault.  It has to change if they're to be successful in the long-term.  And let's face it - Wainwright was one of the most disasterous hires in recent NCAA history.  Completely tore down whatever moment Dave Leitao had built before he left for Virginia.  And Purnell is still trying to pick up the pieces three years in.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
I just want a steady stream of updates to read all day until this is finished! This waiting is brutal
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

I won't dispute that. But that's counting unhatched chickens. When the bartender opens the bar, they turn the TV on to ESPN. Right now that's pretty much a given. Is it better to try to get on ESPN now so we get immediate exposure or hope that NBC Sports has enough going for it in 5-10 years that it will be an automatic choice then?

All I'm saying is we don't want to discount ESPN simply because they are d-bags. They are powerful d-bags with a lot of eyes already on them. Eyes that would benefit a fledgling league trying to stake its claim as a blossoming basketball powerhouse.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »
No need to rush on adding more teams. Take their time and make right decision because you have to live with the decision long term. I would not be chasing Dayton, Creighton or any other mid major. Both are decent programs but they are not going anywhere. Who knows maybe a smaller conference is better conference.

Please do not ever refer to a school that may be included in this new league as mid major. The C7 and whoever is included in the new league will compete at the highest level in college basketball.

feedback