'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Slow Burn....  (Read 11056 times)

MUCam

• All American
Re: Slow Burn....
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »

However, subscribing to the theory: "What are you going to do, divorce me?" might ultimately lead to the answer "Yes, I am."

Umm, seriously.....Is that all it takes? YES! I AM FREE............!!!!!!!!!!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
I don't think adult birthdays are a big deal, but in the grand scheme of life, if watching the game on DVR makes my wife happy... I'll do it. Happy wife = happy life.

An interesting societal commentary here. Why is it socially acceptable to say "happy wife=happy life" but it's frowned upon to say something chauvinistic/sexist, eg. "make me a sandwich/a woman's place is in the kitchen"?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
One word Sultan

SLINGBOX

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »
I think there is a big difference between saying you want to make your partner happy and demanding your partner make you happy.

An interesting societal commentary here. Why is it socially acceptable to say "happy wife=happy life" but it's frowned upon to say something chauvinistic/sexist, eg. "make me a sandwich/a woman's place is in the kitchen"?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »
Nobody is ever going to divorce somebody for watching basketball instead of a birthday dinner.

However, subscribing to the theory: "What are you going to do, divorce me?" might ultimately lead to the answer "Yes, I am."

I don't think adult birthdays are a big deal, but in the grand scheme of life, if watching the game on DVR makes my wife happy... I'll do it. Happy wife = happy life.

Jake, enjoy your dinner and the game on DVR.

I will be drunk downtown from about noon until I can't walk anymore (10pm?).

10PM? Did you forget the drinking lessons taught at MU? Does Scoop need to offer refresher courses...?
Relax. Respect the Process.

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
It all started really well...my wife and I were giddy when we went to the hospital for the birth of our first child...during the NCAA Tournament.  When we got to the hospital, we were greeted by a nurse that told us our female doctor was unavailable and a that a different doctor would be handling the birth. We get our room and it is way before the baby was due. The NCAA tournament was on, but I did not dare turn the TV on. I did not even ask to do so as I knew I would get mesmerized. I was very good. I walked my wife up and down the hallway and it came closer to the time. The doctor came in and introduced himself. After a while he said: "Do you mind if I turn the TV on? We have a lot of time yet and I have been watching the NCAA Tourney."  I did not say a thing, but my wife said: "No problem." I switched sides of the bed so the games would be at my back. At one point a game was pretty exciting (involving Kentucky) and the doctor kept on reacting to the game. I remember vividly when he said "holy cow".....I turned my head to look over my shoulder...My wife had a contraction and was in huge pain right when the doctor and I were watching the replay.

We have been divorced now for 9 years. This moment came up in numerous marital counseling sessions over the years prior to the divorce.

I am remarried to a sports fan who is a Marquette and Green Bay Packer fanatic....Life is good.  

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »
Man y'all got y'allselves some unreasonable-azz women.  There's 3.5 billion more of 'em out there, start lookin'.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »
Man y'all got y'allselves some unreasonable-azz women.  There's 3.5 billion more of 'em out there, start lookin'.

Actually this thread turned into something I didn't think it would.  My wife is actually a pretty big sports fan...Packers especially.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »
Another gentleman who needs a new wife.

I know, right?  I should be the one dragging her to basketball tournaments in Maui, not the other way around.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »
This thread is too good.

I try to find a way to lose the girlfriend during MU games, much less beg her to watch them with me / let me watch them. Less questions, more beers.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
I think there is a big difference between saying you want to make your partner happy and demanding your partner make you happy.

I just think it's interesting that it's "ok" that in order to have a good marriage/life, a woman has to be kept happy at all times, regardless of how the man feels. that, at least, seems to be the point of the phrase. and it's utterance/belief by females only seems to reinforce that viewpoint.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
One word Sultan

SLINGBOX

The wife and I land in Cancun @ 1pm tomorrow.  I'll be Slinging the game to my tablet while sitting out by the pool drinking fruity umbrella drinks.  I'm also looking forward to an Iceberg - Corona with a frozen margarita floated on top.  The place is all-inclusive, so hope I'm sober enough to see the end of the game.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
As a 20 year-old MU Sophomore, I find this hands down the most entertaining thread I've read on Scoop. It pains me to see so many Scoop brothers in pain, though. All of you sacrificing the game are much better men than me.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
My wife's birthday is the 6th. Every year it seems the UW game is either on her birthday or the Saturday nearest- meaning that's the night we go out for it. It's always a bit dicey. This year I tried to get creative. I offered an 8pm reservation at Sanford and a room at the Pfister, and she gets spa treatments while I'm at the game.  Had the parents lined up to take the kids for the evening.

Didn't go for it. The worst part is that I knew I had no chance even while i was pitching it.  I generally love watching games on the DVR, but for some reason I have to watch the UW game live. I guess I'm relegated to the DVR and avoiding the cell phone until we get home. Or worse- watching until the last 10 minutes of the game and not being able to catch the end.  I love my wife, though.

Dude, you are screwed....

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
Man, there are a lot of hairy wet cats on this board. Bring your damn iPad's to the office party and lock your self in the stall in the men's room claiming the clam sauce was bad. Good lord.
Or, lock yourself in a stall with a saucy clam and forget about the game......
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »
It all started really well...my wife and I were giddy when we went to the hospital for the birth of our first child...during the NCAA Tournament.  When we got to the hospital, we were greeted by a nurse that told us our female doctor was unavailable and a that a different doctor would be handling the birth. We get our room and it is way before the baby was due. The NCAA tournament was on, but I did not dare turn the TV on. I did not even ask to do so as I knew I would get mesmerized. I was very good. I walked my wife up and down the hallway and it came closer to the time. The doctor came in and introduced himself. After a while he said: "Do you mind if I turn the TV on? We have a lot of time yet and I have been watching the NCAA Tourney."  I did not say a thing, but my wife said: "No problem." I switched sides of the bed so the games would be at my back. At one point a game was pretty exciting (involving Kentucky) and the doctor kept on reacting to the game. I remember vividly when he said "holy cow".....I turned my head to look over my shoulder...My wife had a contraction and was in huge pain right when the doctor and I were watching the replay.

We have been divorced now for 9 years. This moment came up in numerous marital counseling sessions over the years prior to the divorce.

I am remarried to a sports fan who is a Marquette and Green Bay Packer fanatic....Life is good.  

My wife had a C-section scheduled the morning before Utah St 2009.  After she was being prepped for surgery, one of the nurses asked her if she had any questions before they took her into the OR.  She turned to me and asked "what channel is the Marquette game on?"  I said "CBS."  She then turned to the nurse and asked "do the room TVs get CBS?"  The nurse said, "I'm sure they do."  She then says, "In HD?"

Five minutes from having her abdomen and uterus torn open in order give birth to our first child (did I mention it was a high-risk pregnancy?), and all she cares about is watching the Marquette game that afternoon...
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »

Correct. I mean, it's mostly a joke (happy wife=happy life), but if she REALLY wants to do something (instead of insert thing I like), then I'll go for it. I won't be thrilled about it, but it's not worth going to the mat if I can watch it on DVR.

Use any cliche you want: "Pick your battles", "If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy", etc. etc.

I don't have many situations like this because we both enjoy a lot of the same stuff, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:17:08 PM by Guns n Ammo »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
You can't change them and if they are smart they won't try to change you.  Trying to do so leads to marital strife.   There is no such thing as a quid pro quo in marriage.    As said earlier in the thread, pick your battles.    And also, no which ones are non-negotiable for you, stick to them, accept the consequences, and move forward.   In exchange, throw in the towel on some fights even when you know you are right.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
Code: [Select]
Actually this thread turned into something I didn't think it would.  My wife is actually a pretty big sports fan...Packers especially.
Ain't that the truth. My wife is much cooler on sports stuff than I've really described. I probably hammed up the original post for entertainment purposes, even though the facts are correct. I think this got blown way out of proportion. But the thread is fascinating nonetheless. Glad it was at least interesting.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
I had planned on going home tonight and showing my wife the thread in the hopes that it would give her a laugh.  But she has since pissed me off royal this afternoon, so all my wit and sarcasm shall go to waste, once again.  There's probably an ironic message in here, but I'm not sure I want to find it.

Sorry to have used you, fellow scoopers, for my own selfish reasons.  It's a good thing I'm not married to all of you... because you deserve better than me, and I don't think I could afford that divorce.

JD

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »
I had planned on going home tonight and showing my wife the thread in the hopes that it would give her a laugh.  But she has since pissed me off royal this afternoon, so all my wit and sarcasm shall go to waste, once again.  There's probably an ironic message in here, but I'm not sure I want to find it.

Sorry to have used you, fellow scoopers, for my own selfish reasons.  It's a good thing I'm not married to all of you... because you deserve better than me, and I don't think I could afford that divorce.

Lmao!  Thanks for this.

Maybe she can take you on another all inclusive all expenses paid trip compliments of Benny B to help ease your stress?  ;)
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
Years ago, my wife (who also is a Marquette graduate) who was then my girlfriend and I had a problem. I had game tickets on her birthday. It was December 1976, they were student tickets and the Warriors were the best event in town. Unfortunately, she was not the Warrior fan I was (though she and I both were on Wisconsin Avenue on THE night).

Anyway, I took her to dinner at Pieces of Eight down on the waterfront. Got a cab there and it was snowing cats and dogs (and a few badgers too). We got in and had a marvelous early evening dinner. She thought it was peculiar that we were dining at 5:30 p.m., on her birthday but chalked it up to the fact that it was a Saturday night. The snow kept piling up and it was a romantic view of Lake Michigan as we dined comparatively quietly.

Dinner was over about 7:00 p.m., and we could not get a cab to anywhere. So we did what any resourceful Warrior fan would do. We got a bus and rode back toward campus. I pulled the cord at Fourth Street and got up to get off. She stared at me, realized what was happening and all she could say was, "this was my birthday...  NOT YOUR'S!" We went anyway and MU won (as always back then)

We have been married 32.5 years and I now have an MU five-pack. She's happy because I go with my children, not her! ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »

The wife and I land in Cancun @ 1pm tomorrow.  I'll be Slinging the game to my tablet while sitting out by the pool drinking fruity umbrella drinks.  I'm also looking forward to an Iceberg - Corona with a frozen margarita floated on top.  The place is all-inclusive, so hope I'm sober enough to see the end of the game.

Enjoy your vacation and MU hoops down in Mexico.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »
OK, since we're sharing stories, here is mine.  I was Asst. AD at MU at the time, my wife was pregnant with our first and a due date first game of the season.  We induced 2 days prior to the game...a healthy boy.  I was able to work the first game, then go over to St. Mary's that night and take my wife and son home with me from the hospital.

She's a remarkable lady, a big MU fan (her dad went to MU med school) and our son is a crazy MU like his dad.

To this day, if a MU game is on I've always gotten the hall pass.  Life is good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »

My wife, kids and I were in Cancun last February and watched the UConn game at a local Hooters in the Hotel Zone. And, believe it or not, it was my wife's call to do so!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson