[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chico's ... Here's why the WSJ staff fears Murdoch  (Read 5611 times)

Pakuni

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Chico's ... Here's why the WSJ staff fears Murdoch
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:44:18 PM »
All they need to do is listen to Al Gore in reference to DIRECTV putting up Gore's channel CURRENT TV.

Al Gore on Rupert Murdoch: "...on the question of his openness to independent points of view, I want you to know that my experience has been that when he gave his word, he kept his word.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 02:25:50 PM »
Again, I'm pretty sure the staff is less concerned about Murdoch's openness to other points of view as they are the style of newspaper he tends to produce. Yhe Journal and Murdoch newspapers go together like peanut butter and jelly. K-Y jelly, that is.

How about a little game to prove my point. Match today's top headline with the publication in which it appeared.

1. Exclusive: Shilpa Wrecked My Marriage
2. Rolling Updates: Floody Hell
3. Basket Case: Fix Ref Gets Death Threats
4. After Buying Binge Nestle Goes on a Diet
5. The Secret Brad's Mom Told Jen: Brad Still Loves You!

A. Star
B. The Sun
C. Wall Street Journal
4. New York Post
5. News of the World

Answers: A-5; B-2; C-4; D-3; E-1;

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »
I think they are being way to sensitive.  The NY Post is a tabloid paper, that is the intent of that paper as are some of his other papers that take on that direct style.  He's buying the WSJ not to blow it up and change the format.  Some of his Australian newspapers (and other publications around the world) are hardcore news publications, not tabloid publications.  Just depends which ones they (those concerned at the WSJ) are looking at. 

These are, afterall, the same folks that own the National Geographic Channel among other things.

If anything, I see him trying to marry this into the business channel he is launching on television to bring those two synergies together.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:09:44 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
Which majornewspaper had this headline (on the business page) 

"Site That Bills Itself as a Movie Reviewer Finds That Sex Sells"

a. NY Times
b. NY Times
c. NY Times
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 05:06:42 PM »

a. NY Times
b. NY Times
c. NY Times

Or this all time great from the NY Times

"Crime Rates are Falling, but Prisons Keep on Filling"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 05:16:39 PM »

a. NY Times
b. NY Times
c. NY Times

And now the rest of the story:

The aforementioned was the 13th item in the business section today. I'm no media accuracy watchdog like some people around here, but i'm pretty sure that's not the equivalent of a front-page, above-the-fold headline.

Oh ... and despite what Times Watch says, there's nothing wrong or inaccurate about that headline, Chico's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 05:55:41 PM »
Didn't say the headline was misleading but for a lot of us a giant DUH when you read it.  Of course if you read that 1997 article in conjunction with that headline, or again in 2003 when they came out with almost the exact same thing, it really makes some of us scratch our heads.

George Will did a nice piece on it back in 2003.

“Last week, the New York Times did it again. Year after year, the same Times reporter, Fox Butterfield, writes a story with some variant of the same theme. This one in last weeks's story. Notice the secondary headline: 'More Inmates, Despite Slight Drop in Crime.’

“'Despite?’ Perhaps there is a drop in crime because more criminals are in prison. Three years ago, another Times story, again the word 'despite:’ 'Number in Prison Grows Despite Crime Reduction.’

“At the Times, it must be unthinkable that crime is reduced by increasing imprisonments. A 1997 Times story was headlined: 'Crime Keeps on Falling, but Prisons Keep on Filling.’ The Times thought it was odd that when imprisonment increases, crime decreases. The Times won't consider that punishment cuts crime. In January 1998, another Times story, again, used the word 'despite:’ 'Despite a decline in the crime rate over the past five years, the number of inmates in the nation's jails and prisons rose again in 1997.’ Eight months later, another Times headline: 'Prison Population Growing, Although Crime Rate Drops.’

“The Times was mystified by the correlation between more criminals in jail and less crime in society. In 1999, the Times reported in amazement that, 'The number of inmates in the nation's jails and prisons rose again last year...though crime rates have dropped.’ [on screen graphic of the story’s lead sentence showed these words in the ellipses: “to a record 1.8 million.”] Again the Times was mystified. Crime rates and imprisonment rates were moving in opposite directions.

“I suppose that is mystifying -- if you believe, as some liberals do, that punishment is ineffective at preventing crime. Is the Times consciously pushing that political point of view? No, not consciously. Unconsciously.

“The Times may be so hermetically sealed in its bubble of beliefs, it may not recognize that those beliefs are coloring its reporting. But is there no one at that paper who can burst that bubble?”