[Today at 01:34:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Basketball Only Schools  (Read 16493 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Basketball Only Schools
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
This may sound crazy or off-the-wall but what about attempting something like the Premier League (Soccer) in the Britain by having an elite Basketball conference of like 20 teams (or two sub- conferences of 12 teams each) The key would be to have the two worst teams of the relegated (kicked out) each year. Two highly-ranked winning teams from all the other conferences would be selected at the end of the season to replace to two relegated teams.  Each school can stay in whatever conference they like for other sports but if they performed extremely well in basketball, they could be picked to be admitted to the basketball super conference.  Once the relegated teams get kicked out, they would go back to their regular conference.  

I think this would make the regular season really exciting both because there would be so much more to play for than just the NCAA tournament. (I would want to keep the tournament as well of course).  

Some of the teams I could see participating in the conference to start with would be:

Gonzaga
Georgetown
MU
VCU
Xavier
UNLV
Cincy
Memphis
Temple
Villanova
Butler
Creighton
Wichita St.
San Diego St.
St Johns
Louisville
St Marys
New Mexico
BYU

Relegation would never work in college sports (or in American professional sports).  Getting relegated to the second division is akin to a death sentence.  Donations dry up, the coach leaves and the AD gets fired.

Sure that all these things happen of you go bad anyway, but at least you're still in a big conference (league) which you can use to rebuild.  In a relegated situation you essentially become a mid-major (minor league) on top of going bad.  Look at the history of the EPL, relegated teams go away for a long time.

Besides look at the EPL in general, the economics are horrible and three teams have been champion in every season since it was created in 1992 but two (Man U 12 times, Chelsea 3 times, Arsenal 3 times, Blackburn in 1995 and Man City this year).

It is the most top heavy uncompetitive league in the world.  Not a good model to repeat.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »
The prevailing opinion on the Georgetown fan forum is the ACC in vulnerable to more defections to the Big Ten and SEC and that the Big East BB schools are in a good place for the moment. What options do we really have? The Big East is still one of the 6 major conferences basketball-wise and to do anything rash until more dust settles could be the worst of all evils.

http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=24720

And in Scoop like fashion they celebrated getting to 100 pages on a thread!

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
They have ECU to join them as football only to make 8. We're only talking basketball here. What's your problem?

You kinda, sorta left that out of your original post.

Otherwise, love the idea. An 8 team football conference would be super awesome (didnt the BE already experiment with that?). 7 conference games. No conference championship. And then teams have to find FIVE buy games. That should be easy to do on an annual basis...especially for teams striving to strengthen their schedule so they can be included in a 4 team playoff.... ::)

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:11 PM »
You kinda, sorta left that out of your original post.

Otherwise, love the idea. An 8 team football conference would be super awesome (didnt the BE already experiment with that?). 7 conference games. No conference championship. And then teams have to find FIVE buy games. That should be easy to do on an annual basis...especially for teams striving to strengthen their schedule so they can be included in a 4 team playoff.... ::)

That would be great, since the best possible scenario would be to drive away all these weak football schools so we could be done with this crap.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
Not the best time to have a couple of minor leaguers running things during this critical time at least for our athletic welfare.

They can barely keep from messing up relations with our own star coach.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
In a perfect world, Big 12 or ACC - or even SEC - would be interested in adding non-football members and invite us.  Hitch your wagon to Georgetown and Villanova and hope for a miracle.  It's not likely, but its the best possible outcome, so hold out until it is impossible.  At that point a basketball only league might be the best (only) choice - that or asking the A10 to join. 

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »
Not the best time to have a couple of minor leaguers running things during this critical time at least for our athletic welfare.

i think your stone cold wrong.... we need to stay very connected to ND and GT....

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
ND?   We aren't close to seeing them (ever) again.

They left us in the dust and I'm more worried about Pilarz and LW destroying MU b ball let alone doing something positive for MU athletics on a grand scale.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:28:09 PM by Stone Cold »

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
I'm still unclear why "hitching our wagon to Georgetown or any other school" would benefit us or them? To be honest, I don't think I even understand what that phrase means or entails. Would we go in saying to another conference "it's the both of us or neither of us" ? Aren't we in the exact same position as them? It seems it would be easier to find a home for one homeless child than it would be for twin homeless children?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
I'm still unclear why "hitching our wagon to Georgetown or any other school" would benefit us or them? To be honest, I don't think I even understand what that phrase means or entails. Would we go in saying to another conference "it's the both of us or neither of us" ? Aren't we in the exact same position as them? It seems it would be easier to find a home for one homeless child than it would be for twin homeless children?
Those two schools have a higher profile than ours, especially Georgetown.  So if anyone is getting a spot as a basketball-only member of a top league it will probably be them.  Rather than try to go it alone and hope that someone's happy to take their 3rd or 4th choice, maybe try to get a larger deal like that one that got us into the Big East in the first place.  Where we hitched our wagon to the other schools...

However, it's a different world now and it seems that the only rule is every school for itself.  So that idea is probably pointless anyway.

I still say that priority #1 should be trying to get into one of the top 5 conferences as a non-football member.  Big 12 might be the best shot, but I'd take any of them.  Hope that one of them thinks the Big East was on to something with an 18 team bball league.

Failing that, do your best to join or form the best basketball league that you can.  If this goes much further the A10 is going to be better than the Big East in most ways.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »
Those two schools have a higher profile than ours, especially Georgetown.  So if anyone is getting a spot as a basketball-only member of a top league it will probably be them.  Rather than try to go it alone and hope that someone's happy to take their 3rd or 4th choice, maybe try to get a larger deal like that one that got us into the Big East in the first place.  Where we hitched our wagon to the other schools...

However, it's a different world now and it seems that the only rule is every school for itself.  So that idea is probably pointless anyway.

I still say that priority #1 should be trying to get into one of the top 5 conferences as a non-football member.  Big 12 might be the best shot, but I'd take any of them.  Hope that one of them thinks the Big East was on to something with an 18 team bball league.

Failing that, do your best to join or form the best basketball league that you can.  If this goes much further the A10 is going to be better than the Big East in most ways.

Priority No. 1? So if they say no, then what is priority No.2?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 01:53:02 AM »
If the big east goes basketball only, it should mirror the WCC.

But FB is the fracking cash cow...and it's MEDIOCRE FB tats really ruining the conferences.

Who gives a flying zip if big state college with a .600 record is going to the Trojan Condom Explosion Bowl in Las Vegas?!?!

Stupid...stupid...college FB!!! And them greedy turds!

The WU was right: C.R.E.A.M.
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 07:09:31 AM »

Stop.

Cottingham was no more equipped than LW. Not many AD's have been through conference realignment, much less on this type of scale.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 07:40:01 AM »
C-ham helped set up our contract with the BE in the beginning when we were moving on the right track.   

The current predicament may not be avoidable but I'd be much more comfortable with having someone who built up (or maintained) much of our athletic success running the show.  He had also been able to form relationships within the conference which take time.   Current guy can't even get along with Buzz.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:19 AM »
C-ham helped set up our contract with the BE in the beginning when we were moving on the right track.   

The current predicament may not be avoidable but I'd be much more comfortable with having someone who built up (or maintained) much of our athletic success running the show.  He had also been able to form relationships within the conference which take time.   Current guy can't even get along with Buzz.

MU has had historical athletic success in several sports under LW, so I think we can be comfortable with him "maintaining athletic success" so far, right? I mean, what does the guy have to do to make you more comfortable that he can maintain athletic success?

As far as relationship building, that is a valid point. However, MU's current President has strong ties to our most important ally, Georgetown, so we can at least be confident in that.

LW and BW relationship stuff is what it is. We've all heard and read the rumors. I don't know that it needs to be rehashed when we talk about conf. realignment.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »

They don't have a higher profile per say.  They play in a larger TV market that gives them a higher profile.

Their are only a handful of schools that transcend their TV market ... ND, Texas, Duke and maybe a few others.  The rest are hostage to their TV market.

And because Depaul is in Chicago, the third largest TV market, they are a big deal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

You are overselling the relationship angle with the former AD in a big way.  He was a reserved AD, not at the forefront of those changes.  Very smart guy, but hardly the one setting the strategy.  Setting up the contract was a boiler plate situation that every new member went through.  Sure, you fight for the margins on the impacts to your institution, but largely you took what they gave you or risked not granted membership.

The current guy demands a bit accountability and isn't a rubber stamp.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
You are overselling the relationship angle with the former AD in a big way.  He was a reserved AD, not at the forefront of those changes.  Very smart guy, but hardly the one setting the strategy.  Setting up the contract was a boiler plate situation that every new member went through.  Sure, you fight for the margins on the impacts to your institution, but largely you took what they gave you or risked not granted membership.

The current guy demands a bit accountability and isn't a rubber stamp.

Yep.  For Christ's sake, LW pulled a couple strings and got the team predicted to finish 7th in the Big East this year a chance to play on a carrier vs. the #4 team in the country.  Granted the game was never played, but how many blue bloods would have clamored for the opportunity to play on a ship - in South Carolina, no less - against Ohio State after UCONN pulled out.

The guy isn't the second coming, but you need to have a little faith in the leadership.  At least give LW a chance to screw the pooch before you start calling him minor league.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
National Basketball Conference I guess.  But until there is no longer a chance that you could be part of a major conference, why close that door by creating a new 2nd tier conference?

(I did say that in the last paragraph of my post, by the way.  "Failing that...")

TJ

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
They don't have a higher profile per say.  They play in a larger TV market that gives them a higher profile.

Their are only a handful of schools that transcend their TV market ... ND, Texas, Duke and maybe a few others.  The rest are hostage to their TV market.

And because Depaul is in Chicago, the third largest TV market, they are a big deal.
So what you're saying is... they have a higher profile.  Unless you plan to move the campus to Chicago anytime soon, we're going to be behind Georgetown, Villanova, and even DePaul.  I'm not sure if DePaul actually brings the Chicago market that effectively, but that's for TV executives to worry about.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
By the way, do you disagree?  What do you think the best move for MU would be?  If MU were offered a spot in the Big 12 tomorrow, do you think they should take it?  ACC?  Why not try to work toward that if there's even a slight chance it could happen?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »
By the way, do you disagree?  What do you think the best move for MU would be?  If MU were offered a spot in the Big 12 tomorrow, do you think they should take it?  ACC?  Why not try to work toward that if there's even a slight chance it could happen?

What he is getting at is that would be priority #1.  But it isn't going to happen.  We need to have priority #2 ready to go.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
MU has had historical athletic success in several sports under LW, so I think we can be comfortable with him "maintaining athletic success" so far, right? I mean, what does the guy have to do to make you more comfortable that he can maintain athletic success?

As far as relationship building, that is a valid point. However, MU's current President has strong ties to our most important ally, Georgetown, so we can at least be confident in that.

LW and BW relationship stuff is what it is. We've all heard and read the rumors. I don't know that it needs to be rehashed when we talk about conf. realignment.

Correct hiring decisions was meant by "sustaining success", I should have clarified.  A monkey could have been hired and reaped the benefits of the Cord/C-Ham current coach's success.  Larry may soon get his chance to hire a coach if he can't find a way to get along with Buzz.  

Mediocre AD's aren't hard to find, another Buzz type coach is, well....with our increased stature in our brand new powerhouse conference it could be easy.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:40:17 AM by Stone Cold »

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:33 AM »
You dont wait because there is a very small window up until Temple becomes a member that the BBall only schools hold the cards with the voting power to do what they want.  They can do things to keep the BE name and force the hand of the football schools.  But the time is now or never...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
But until there is no longer a chance that you could be part of a major conference...

I think that many of us on this board think that that day has come.  And, the sooner that MU recognizes that and moves toward a strong basketball dominated conference, the better.

And, for what it's worth, I don't think LW and the administration are idiots.  I believe that they're probably working hard to make sure MU ends up in a good place.  I hope I'm right.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.