Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great recruiting news  (Read 27329 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Great recruiting news
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
Pakuni

You are correct that Mu has done very well on three of last four hires. Fortunately or unfortunately for MU the hires were done with other people's money. What happens if OPM dries up because donors become unhappy? It is very easy to pay a guy $2.6m a year when someone else is paying much of the freight. Losing Buzz vs. Losing Big Donor...I'll risk losing Buzz.

unforgiven

• Starter
  • Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »
Our fanbase has been burned a few times. We are probably a little too touchy about it.

MU appears to be as committed (if not more committed) to basketball than most successful schools. We'll see if that translates to longer term coaches and ultimately success.

Who was the Marquette coach hire in the 80's who accepted then abruptly changed his mind? I know Fat Rick did that to USC but they probably deserved it. Having said which, they have some awesome, if well behaved, cheerleaders.
"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2012, 07:22:51 PM »
Who was the Marquette coach hire in the 80's who accepted then abruptly changed his mind? I know Fat Rick did that to USC but they probably deserved it. Having said which, they have some awesome, if well behaved, cheerleaders.

Mike Newell, then coach of UALR and primary claim to fame was beating Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament.

In other words, a dime-a-dozen coach.

He's now the head coach at West Alabama, after stints at Lamar and Arkansas-Monticello

Then:

Now:

unforgiven

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
Mike Newell, then coach of UALR and primary claim to fame was beating Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament.

In other words, a dime-a-dozen coach.

He's now the head coach at West Alabama, after stints at Lamar and Arkansas-Monticello

Then:

The "After" picture has a vague resemblance to Majerus, with hair. Have to wonder about his use of towels in pre-game locker talks.

"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2012, 09:49:21 PM »
Other programs appear to be "safer" with their coach because they view their coach as the guy who currently holds the job at their successful program, whereas MU fans are more nervous because many view the coach as the very identify and personification of the program itself.   Call it the "Curse of Al" if you want. 

Whatever reason, MU fans have a hard time accepting that a good portion of our success comes from an administration that has spared no expense--from buiding first class facilities to a top-10-level coaching salary to a top 5 recruiting budget --and yes, that also includes hiring a well-connected and media-savvy AD.

Probably because all of this was in place, AND a very pro-athletics President and A.D., (not an A.D. who takes potshots at his longer tenured head coach in the local paper), and Tom Crean STILL left Marquette.  At least Kevin O'Neill didn't spurn us with all of that going on..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2012, 04:41:51 AM »
Hasn't missed too many pecan pies with whipped cream lately, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Probably because all of this was in place, AND a very pro-athletics President and A.D., (not an A.D. who takes potshots at his longer tenured head coach in the local paper), and Tom Crean STILL left Marquette.  At least Kevin O'Neill didn't spurn us with all of that going on..

I think dont' think there is any difference in the President, and Larry Williams is probably more "pro-Athletics" than Steve Cottingham ever was.

While you view them as "potshots", they're not intended for Buzz--they're sending the strategic message to the casual fan that MU is getting its program back under control.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
Probably because all of this was in place, AND a very pro-athletics President and A.D., (not an A.D. who takes potshots at his longer tenured head coach in the local paper), and Tom Crean STILL left Marquette.  At least Kevin O'Neill didn't spurn us with all of that going on..

People can make fun of Crean's, "It's Indiana.  It's Indiana," comment all they like (and rightfully so), but it's foolish to completely disregard that sentiment when considering where Marquette's basketball program is (and was).  There are a handful of programs/jobs that simply are in a different league.  Historically, it's been Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Kansas and Indiana.  Obviously, Duke is in that group now and probably a very few others.  In my opinion, Crean's departure to Indiana did not reflect particularly negatively on Marquette or suggest that there was not a sufficient commitment to the basketball program.

I think Buzz is doing a great job, and I really hope he stays.  But, if Coach K decides to retire and Buzz leaves for the Duke job, I'm not going to fret that it proves that Marquette is still a stepping stone job.

Edited to add:  I'm not saying that Marquette isn't still a stepping stone job.  I hope it's not, and I hope Buzz succeeds and stays until he's old and wrinkled.  My point is just that Crean's departure for Indiana doesn't suggest that Marquette isn't a very desirable program/job.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:54:41 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
I don't understand why people get so upset with Goose's posts.  It's a rumor on a Marquette Basketball Message Board, take it for what it is, but there's no need to get so upset about it.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
People of a Homosexual orientation.

I figured as much, but wanted to see if it was possibly regional slang for something completely different before I wrote him/her off completely.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
I think dont' think there is any difference in the President, and Larry Williams is probably more "pro-Athletics" than Steve Cottingham ever was.

You're unnatural carnal knowledgeing crazy, bro.

MU athletic teams have had historically bad seasons since LW arrived.

Buy a clue.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2012, 12:13:35 PM »
You're fracking crazy, bro.

Buy a clue.

Umm, intended teal, right?  MU soccer (M & W) and VB right now having historically good seasons...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
Not bashing you Goose - just pointing out that this has moved from "I think Buzz is gone" or "I predict Buzz is gone" to "there is an agreement in place that Buzz is gone"

big difference....

I do find it difficult to believe a deal is in place for Buzz to leave yet he signs an outstanding recruiting class. I would think at least one or two recruits asked about his future with the program. This will be a very interesting Spring at Marquette.

unforgiven

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »
Hasn't missed too many pecan pies with whipped cream lately, aina?

Chicken Fried Steak

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
Guns

Fxxk my "theory"!!! Do you think every school sits at end of season wondering if their coach is leaving?

Successful ones? Yes.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
Successful ones? Yes.

Successful ones?

Coach K - no
Bill Self - no
Calipari - no
Matta - no
Crean - no
Boeheim - no
Brey - no
Wright - no
Dixon - no
Pastner - no
Roy Williams - no

I dont think fans of these coaches have much to worry about.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
Aughnanure

Give me a break. There are many, many programs that do not fear losing their coach every year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
You're fracking crazy, bro.

Buy a clue.

Huh?

And points earlier placing Indiana in the top 5-8 programs are exactly correct.  Crean wouldn't have been able to bring this latest IU class to Marquette.  There's always a handful of plum jobs out there.  The fact that the MU job is now in the next tier down is fantastic. 15+ years ago that wasn't true and hadn't been since Al.

Now how 'bout that nationally ranked recruiting class?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
Successful ones?

Coach K - no
Bill Self - no
Calipari - no
Matta - no
Crean - no
Boeheim - no
Brey - no
Wright - no
Dixon - no
Pastner - no
Roy Williams - no

Until that UCLA job opens up at the end of this year...

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »
Until that UCLA job opens up at the end of this year...

Fine. You could take Wright, Dixon and Pastner off my list. The rest of those coaches arent leaving their current programs for UCLA.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
Fine. You could take Wright, Dixon and Pastner off my list. The rest of those coaches arent leaving their current programs for UCLA.

I guess what I really meant was that IF a job like UCLA were to open up, there would be plenty of successful basketball programs worried about their coach leaving.  It's just such a unique scenario for each coach and each program, but there will definitely be plenty of programs worried at the end of this season and there will be some that won't be.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
Successful ones?

Coach K - no
Bill Self - no
Calipari - no
Matta - no
Crean - no
Boeheim - no
Brey - no
Wright - no
Dixon - no
Pastner - no
Roy Williams - no

Yes but a handful of those coaches still generate the "rumors" that they will leave for the NBA.  They may never have any intention of leaving, but the rumors will still exist.  It's the same situation.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
I guess what I really meant was that IF a job like UCLA were to open up, there would be plenty of successful basketball programs worried about their coach leaving.

This is basically the same point I was trying to make in my earlier post, but with respect to Indiana, not UCLA.  Crean leaving Marquette for Indiana was about the opportunity to coach at Indiana, not a lack of opportunity at Marquette.

If you look at Honkytonk's list, it's the same six schools I listed (Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Indiana and Duke) with a few others thrown in (Ohio State, Syracuse, ND, Villanova, Pitt and Memphis) thrown in.  There will always be an elite group of top programs (and I'm not sure I'd agree with everyone Honkytonk threw in there) who are generally comfortable that their coaches aren't going to leave for another collegiate job.  And most coaches at other schools would jump at the opportunity to coach at any of those schools -- even if they've got a good thing going.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Successful ones?

Boeheim - no
Wright - no
Dixon - no
Pastner - no

I wouldn't include any of those four. Boeheim could retire any year now, I don't think we've seen anything to indicate Wright or Dixon wouldn't bolt for a better opportunity (like Howland did), and despite his recruiting, what has Pastner done to ensure job security? It certainly isn't all the NCAA games he has won.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
I wouldn't include any of those four. Boeheim could retire any year now, I don't think we've seen anything to indicate Wright or Dixon wouldn't bolt for a better opportunity (like Howland did), and despite his recruiting, what has Pastner done to ensure job security? It certainly isn't all the NCAA games he has won.

Retirement had nothing to do with the original argument. I made a list of coaches that wouldnt leave for other opportunities. I took dixon, wright and pastner off the list in another post. I could easily have added Izzo but forgot him. And if Boeheim isnt on that list because of retirement, then you can easily add his replacement, Mike Hopkins - how many assistants are loyal to a program for 16 years (and counting)? I cant imagine he has put in all that time just to pack up and be a head coach somewhere else.