'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 05:12:57 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Marquette in the Big Ten?  (Read 21094 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Marquette in the Big Ten?
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Marquette in the Big Ten?

Now that's either the dumbest thing you have heard or an enticing possibility.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/174791071.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Marquette in the Big Ten?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »
oh lord, not this again.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »
I swear, is he pumping these out for the extra revenue, I only have a handful of free articles left this month.

Yes, yes, I know how to get around it, but still, quantity does not equal quality.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
I swear, is he pumping these out for the extra revenue, I only have a handful of free articles left this month.

Yes, yes, I know how to get around it, but still, quantity does not equal quality.

Yup.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »
You mean we'd have to let Bucky play us twice in a year?  Can boredom bring on injuries?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
I don't get what we could ever offer the Big Ten.  A huge revenue driver for the Big Ten is BTN.  Adding MU does nothing in that regard because they have our market covered.  And think about Big Ten expansion, it has been extremely measured and they have not strayed from their core.  Right now they are either the #1 or #2 conference in terms of off the field success.  They absolutely crush it, why mess with that success?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
There's a way to make MU-2-B? feasible for everyone.  I don't know why everyone is so fast to dismiss this.  MU isn't going to take any football money from the B?, and would add value to the conference as far as basketball goes.  There's a lot of compatibility with the Olympic sports already, and MU has the facilities/access to add women's hockey & men's hockey and/or baseball if it needed more sports.

But the bottom line is that the B? is made up of mostly blue-state flagship universities who don't want to be anywhere near anything to do with the Catholic Church.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »
Marquette doesn't bring the Milwaukee TV market, Wisconsin already has it. Marquette won't take football revenue, but also won't notably increase basketball revenue more than a conference with perennial Final Four contenders like MSU, tOSU, and (grudgingly) Indiana. Marquette doesn't improve the Big Ten's academic profile, and from a research perspective, probably hurts it. Marquette's private/Catholic profile doesn't come close to matching what most of the Big Ten schools represent.

There is no way to make this feasible for everyone. Seriously entertaining this ludicrous notion is on par with Lloyd Christmas' "So you're saying there's a chance...".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »
Now that's either the dumbest thing you have heard

He should have stopped here.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »
The Big 10 would only do this, if they decided they had enough football teams and wanted to be a stronger basketball conference.  However, they would need another basketball team to come with MU. The New York market might make St. John's a candidate, but Villanova or DePaul fit in better geographically. However, DePaul recently has not been good in basketball and Villanova appears to be on a decline. Georgetown would be the best other basketball program to add and while the Washington DC area would be a good addition it does not really fit in the Big 10 geographic area. I think the Big East implodes when the ACC takes Georgetown as a basketball partner for Notre Dame. At that point the Big 10 will decide whether to pick up a couple of basketball schools or remain a football only school conference. I think they will strongly consider MU before they decide to remain pat. MU's real chance to join the Big 10 probably sailed when Notre Dame joined the ACC. The Big 10 not accepting Notre Dame as basketball only should be taken as a strong indication that they will not add any basketball only schools.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
Yah, agree, it's even further away than being a longshot.  However.....

Would be kinda fun to get to trounce Bucky 2x per year.  And the Tanned One.  Also, might make the Effin Irish a tad bit jealous too.

And JayBee, St. Paul W, and a few other of us could see the team once a year at William(s) arena (spelled with Clem Haskin's pronunciation ;))!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:47:56 PM by real chili 83 »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
I think the Big Ten will eventually add Kansas to help boost its basketball profile and then pair them with another school (Rutgers? Louisville? Mizzou?)

Thor

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
Marquette will become a member after the University of Chicago is moved back up to a full member.

And I think the University of Chicago still has more Big Ten Football titles than Bucky.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:56:40 PM by Thor »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
I think the Big Ten will eventually add Kansas to help boost its basketball profile and then pair them with another school (Rutgers? Louisville? Mizzou?)

Louisville to the Big 10 will never happen, ever.

As outlandishly low as Marquette's chances are, they are better than Louisville's chances.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
There is no way to make this feasible for everyone. Seriously entertaining this ludicrous notion is on par with Lloyd Christmas' "So you're saying there's a chance...".

15 years ago, if you said MU would be in the Big Easy, people would have thought you were crazy.
10 years ago, Nebraska to the Big 10 seemed crazy.
5 years ago, if you said ND would end up in the ACC, people would've thought you were crazy.

There is a 90%+ chance of MU NOT going to the Big 10.

But, I wouldn't completely dismiss it. Schools are going to continue to look for revenue. If they think MU can add a significant amount, they will be considered. Believe that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »
I thought of one more reason for football schools to take some basketball schools and I think this reason would make the most sense. There has been some talk of the BCS conferences leaving the NCAA. They do this and they will not be playing in NCAA basketball tournament. They can have their own basketball tournament, but it risks being second fiddle to NCAA's tournament. Taking selective basketball schools along with them and they will send the NCAA tournament into oblivion.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
I thought of one more reason for football schools to take some basketball schools and I think this reason would make the most sense. There has been some talk of the BCS conferences leaving the NCAA. They do this and they will not be playing in NCAA basketball tournament. They can have their own basketball tournament, but it risks being second fiddle to NCAA's tournament. Taking selective basketball schools along with them and they will send the NCAA tournament into oblivion.

In this scenario, what happens to the Olympic sports?  Do they stay in the NCAA, or do they breakaway too?  Since participation in the O-sports varies from conference to conference (and even amongst schools within a conference), breaking away is easier said than done.

Yes, football drives the bus, and basketball is the co-pilot... but keep in mind who the passengers are -- the O-sports.  Make no mistake about it, Notre Dame's move to the ACC was not about money or prestige; it was primarily about ensuring quality competition for its O-sports.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
My assumption is that if you leave the NCAA you are leaving them for everything.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
My assumption is that if you leave the NCAA you are leaving them for everything.

I agree, there's no way the NCAA allows them to leave on foot in the door.  In or out.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
When talking about conference expansion, everyone focuses on TV money and grabbing teams in cities with large populations. What happens when there are no more teams/markets to grab? Won't conferences then want to start grabbing schools that will help them provide quality programming on their network so that people actually watch the network?

For example: Common thought says that the B10 doesn't want Marquette because they already have the Milwaukee market via UW-Madison. Understandable. In 5 years once all the conferences have their own networks established in certain regions/cities, wouldn't it appeal to the B10 to scoop up a school like Marquette so that they can get more/better live sports programming, and charge more for  commercial time? I'm sure more people, including alumni of bigger B10 schools, would rather watch MU vs Mich State than Northwestern v Nebraska come NCAA BBall season. Having a school like MU would increase the # of good games to broadcast on their network, and they could get more money from commercial deals that way.

just a thought.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
The argument that the Big 10 already has the Milwaukee market is a valid one. However, I think they would want to protect that market. Not taking MU could result in MU being in Big 12 or ACC, which would give them a share of Milwaukee market. I suspect the Big 10 already realizes that they screwed up with Notre Dame. They wrongly assumed the ACC would not take them as a basketball only school. The Big 10 also missed out on Pitt and Syracuse. The Big 10 could have been the best basketball conference without hurting football, but they let the ACC take those teams out from right under their noses.

Toolbox

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
This will happen in 2015......or not.  Whatever.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
I really hope this doesn't happen. I already can't stand the entirety of the Big 10 as it is and being in the same conference as all those obnoxious Badgers fans would make me throw up my intestines.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
The argument that the Big 10 already has the Milwaukee market is a valid one. However, I think they would want to protect that market. Not taking MU could result in MU being in Big 12 or ACC, which would give them a share of Milwaukee market. I suspect the Big 10 already realizes that they screwed up with Notre Dame. They wrongly assumed the ACC would not take them as a basketball only school. The Big 10 also missed out on Pitt and Syracuse. The Big 10 could have been the best basketball conference without hurting football, but they let the ACC take those teams out from right under their noses.

Best post in this thread!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »

1. Who exactly would they be "protecting" the Milwaukee market from?  They already "share" it with the Big East and it doesn't bother them.

2. The Big Ten does not believe they screwed up with Notre Dame.  All or nothing has been their only option.  I can guaranty you that if they thought ND would opt out of the ACC and go to the B10 with a similar arrangement, the B10 would still not make the offer.

3. The Big Ten does not think they screwed up with Syracuse or Pitt.  Not big enough programs.

This will never, ever happen.  Ever.  Never.  Ever.  You simply do not understand the Big Ten's mindset.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
15 years ago, if you said MU would be in the Big Easy, people would have thought you were crazy.
10 years ago, Nebraska to the Big 10 seemed crazy.
5 years ago, if you said ND would end up in the ACC, people would've thought you were crazy.

There is a 90%+ chance of MU NOT going to the Big 10.

But, I wouldn't completely dismiss it. Schools are going to continue to look for revenue. If they think MU can add a significant amount, they will be considered. Believe that.

I disagree with the 15 years because an up-and-coming coach and a good recruiting class or two can get anyone to the Final Four, even from a mid-major. 1992 Cincinnati with 3rd year coach Bob Huggins, 1996 UMass under Calipari, and Rick Majerus' 1998 Utah were all precursors to the 2003 team that indicated this.

Nebraska wouldn't have been expected, I'll give you that.

ND to the ACC crazy? Disagree. They were courted by the Big Ten for years and the ACC had shown a propensity to steal schools from the Big East. Big difference between unexpected and crazy, though.

Here's the problem with this. We offer them nothing. We don't offer them more money through TV markets. We aren't an AAU member that offers them greater academic prestige. We don't offer a large alumni base that would increase their media profile. Name one thing we bring to the table that the Big Ten doesn't already have in spades. All I can think of is Jesuit priests, and I'm pretty sure that isn't on the Big Ten bucket lists of things to acquire before they start BTN2.

If the Big Ten wants basketball-only schools, they'll look at basketball-only schools that are closer to their profile. They'll certainly want bigger schools than us with higher regarded academics, most likely public, and definitely a new television market. I'm not sure there are any perfect fits, but I think schools like VCU and Georgetown make a lot more sense.

Okay...maybe it's not impossible, but I disagree with your 90% figure. I'd say closer to 99.9999% chance it doesn't happen.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
If any major conference makes sense, other than the BE, it would be the Big 12.  Maybe ACC if ND joins for football and wants to bring DePaul and MU along.   
I for one, like the BE and think it if sticks together, it will give us great exposure in a lot of big markets for recruiting. I for one, would not look forward to being in the B10 or B12.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »
My dream would be the Big Ten adding Marquette and Villanova to improve basketball.

Key word being DREAM.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »
I believe this is the direction of the larger conferences. At a certain point, adding another football program has  diminishing returns. There just aren't that many large football draws and adding another team brings in less money than what is pulled form the other teams from a revenue sharing perspective. If you add a basketball only school like MU which can bring money to the table you increase the overall revenue share for the conference as basketball is still a money maker which won't compete with football as they are different seasons.

When it comes time to revenue sharing you give the football schools a large cut of the pie. This was shown to have worked in the Big East.  The problem was that there was still room in the other conferences before it impacted revenue.  However, if you get to 4 or 5 major conferences then adding a marginal football school doesn't help. 

I don't know if the Big Ten will be the home of MU in the future but I would be surprised if in 5 yrs there is 4 conferences with a football and basketball only. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 03:35:49 AM »

1. Who exactly would they be "protecting" the Milwaukee market from?  They already "share" it with the Big East and it doesn't bother them.

2. The Big Ten does not believe they screwed up with Notre Dame.  All or nothing has been their only option.  I can guaranty you that if they thought ND would opt out of the ACC and go to the B10 with a similar arrangement, the B10 would still not make the offer.

3. The Big Ten does not think they screwed up with Syracuse or Pitt.  Not big enough programs.

This will never, ever happen.  Ever.  Never.  Ever.  You simply do not understand the Big Ten's mindset.
I. The Big East will not matter in the post NCAA era for BCS schools. You are looking at 4 super conferences and everything else will not matter.
2. They screwed up and they know it, if they believe there will be four super conferences and the other conferences will have non-football teams.
3. They screwed up from both a football and basketball perspective by letting Pitt & Syracuse go to ACC. Without additional football teams they are stuck at 12 teams with no good options left. While Pitt and Syracuse may not be great football programs there simply are not any better alternatives left. Perhaps they screwed up more by not taking Missouri. The ACC simply is the best basketball conference with the addition of Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame. The Big 10 could of been the best, if they were willing to act.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:45:39 AM by bilsu »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 06:07:31 AM »
I believe this is the direction of the larger conferences. At a certain point, adding another football program has  diminishing returns. There just aren't that many large football draws and adding another team brings in less money than what is pulled form the other teams from a revenue sharing perspective. If you add a basketball only school like MU which can bring money to the table you increase the overall revenue share for the conference as basketball is still a money maker which won't compete with football as they are different seasons.

But when you're talking Big Ten/SEC type money, don't all basketball-only schools have diminishing returns? And how does MU bring significant money to the table?

We don't add a new TV market. We don't add a large alumni base. We don't add academic prestige. In what possible way does Marquette add ANY value to the Big Ten?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 07:59:51 AM »
bilsu, no....you are wrong.  The Big Ten would *NOT* have taken ND under a similar arrangement.  Flat out no.  To the Big Ten, Notre Dame isn't valuable UNLESS they bring their football program with them.  Just the "Olympic  sports," plus some football games, does not bring enough value to split the pot another way.

And you are also wrong on Syracuse and Pittsburgh.  This is a conference that stuck on 11 teams for nearly two decades despite the financial advantages to growing to 12.  The reason they didn't expand is that they felt there were no obvious candidates...and Syracuse, Pitt, Missouri, Rutgers, etc. would have joined in a heartbeat.  Their patience until Nebraska got fed up with the Big 12 paid off as they got a program that fits perfectly. 

If they wanted to add Syracuse or Pitt even afterwards, they would have done so.  The ACC only announced their addition last year.  But they didn't....because they didn't bring enough value.

Right now, I believe the only schools the Big Ten would add are Notre Dame, Texas and possibly Oklahoma.  And only if those schools join as full members and agree to completely equitable splits in revenue.  It will not happen.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
If the Big Ten wants basketball-only schools, they'll look at basketball-only schools that are closer to their profile. They'll certainly want bigger schools than us with higher regarded academics, most likely public, and definitely a new television market. I'm not sure there are any perfect fits, but I think schools like VCU and Georgetown make a lot more sense.
Neither Georgetown or VCU are AAU members... how on earth would they allow such substandard academic institutions into the Big10? I'll give you that they are in a different market than MU, but what tells you that the Big10 wants to expand east?

MU gives them another school in the Chicago market, specifically a catholic one.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
But when you're talking Big Ten/SEC type money, don't all basketball-only schools have diminishing returns? And how does MU bring significant money to the table?

We don't add a new TV market. We don't add a large alumni base. We don't add academic prestige. In what possible way does Marquette add ANY value to the Big Ten?
Non-football schools have diminishing returns if you have to travel accross the country for Lacrosse, volleyball, soccer teams. Not many schools with the national visibility of MU so convenient for B10 teams.

No non-football school is going to revolutionize a conference, but MU would be a nice addition to the B10 and would absolutely pull its weight pulling in $ from NCAA tourney success.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »
Neither Georgetown or VCU are AAU members... how on earth would they allow such substandard academic institutions into the Big10? I'll give you that they are in a different market than MU, but what tells you that the Big10 wants to expand east?

MU gives them another school in the Chicago market, specifically a catholic one.

wait,  Chicago market?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »
Non-football schools have diminishing returns if you have to travel accross the country for Lacrosse, volleyball, soccer teams. Not many schools with the national visibility of MU so convenient for B10 teams.

No non-football school is going to revolutionize a conference, but MU would be a nice addition to the B10 and would absolutely pull its weight pulling in $ from NCAA tourney success.

The Big Ten has no interest in non-football members and no interest in Marquette.  None.

The Big Ten, with one exception, is made up of large, public universities with massive alumni bases who can draw large television audiences - especially for football games.  The only exception to that is Northwestern who is a member due to historical circumstances more than anything.  They have no interest in bringing in small private schools that don't play football.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
The Big Ten has no interest in non-football members and no interest in Marquette.  None.

The Big Ten, with one exception, is made up of large, public universities with massive alumni bases who can draw large television audiences - especially for football games.  The only exception to that is Northwestern who is a member due to historical circumstances more than anything.  They have no interest in bringing in small private schools that don't play football.

Is this opinion or fact?

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »

Sounds like you have better information than LW. Did you at least apply for the job? We might have all been better off.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »
On the surface I agree that the Big 10 would have no interest in MU. However, if the future path is to 4 super conferences that are going to withdraw from NCCA then MU might make sense. The super conferences presumably will each have 16 football teams and that is why I am saying the Big 10 made a mistake in not taking certain schools. Now they have lesser choices to get to 16. The super conferences withdrawing from NCAA will have an interest in taking basketball schools to further weaken the NCAA. MU makes sense to Big 10, not because of new market, but because they fall within the Big 10 foot print and therefore will not create travel problems.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »

Best post in this thread!

Also, Chicago is probably just as big of a market for Marquette as Milwaukee is.

Let that sink in.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »

The Big Ten has no interest in non-football members and no interest in Marquette, RIGHT NOW.  None.

Things can change. In 2000, the Big East would have laughed their ass off at the idea of adding MU.

IF the Big10 continues to evolve, MU MIGHT be an attractive option. Whoa. I'm really out on a limb there.

The previous 100 years of college athletics really means nothing right now. $ is everything.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »
Is this opinion or fact?

It is an opinion based on the facts of how they operate.

Things can change. In 2000, the Big East would have laughed their ass off at the idea of adding MU.

IF the Big10 continues to evolve, MU MIGHT be an attractive option. Whoa. I'm really out on a limb there.

The previous 100 years of college athletics really means nothing right now. $ is everything.

Yeah, and a nuclear bomb could go off tomorrow and make all of this irrelevant.  I actually think the nuclear bomb is more likely.

Sounds like you have better information than LW. Did you at least apply for the job? We might have all been better off.

Shut up.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

I agree that they wouldn't take VCU or Georgetown. But they provide more value than we do because of larger alumni bases and new markets. But we don't bring Chicago, certainly not more than Illinois and Northwestern do.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
Yeah, and a nuclear bomb could go off tomorrow and make all of this irrelevant.  I actually think the nuclear bomb is more likely.

I'll take those odds.

College sports is whacky right now. Things we never imagined even 5 years ago, are happening. Conferences have their own network. Even schools have their own network (UT). Distribution of content (television + internet) is evolving rapidly. Geography doesn't mean a thing right now.

Schools and conferences love tradition, but at this point, I think they have proven they love $ more. IMO, whacky things are going to continue to happen.

MU getting into the Big10 is EXTREMELY unlikely, but I don't know how you can simply dismiss it after seeing what has happened over the past 10 years. The situation is too fluid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »
Guns, completely unfair.  If I win, I won't be able to collect since we'll all be dead!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »
Guns, completely unfair.  If I win, I won't be able to collect since we'll all be dead!

You can make fun of me as we burn in hell, which I assume is a place that features unending Larry vs Buzz debates, and great Tom Crean jokes (did you know he's tan?).

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »

Also, Chicago is probably just as big of a market for Marquette as Milwaukee is.

Let that sink in.

Do you have something to back that up, other than your arrogance

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
You can make fun of me as we burn in hell, which I assume is a place that features unending Larry vs Buzz debates, and great Tom Crean jokes (did you know he's tan?).

So I'm dead already????

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
I think Marquette actually makes up a decent sized portion of the Chicago market.  Not enough for the Big Ten to add us for that reason, but Marquette is very well represented in the Chicagoland area.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »

So I'm dead already????

Anybody with more than a 1,000 posts is a little dead inside. Amiright?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »
I think Marquette actually makes up a decent sized portion of the Chicago market.  Not enough for the Big Ten to add us for that reason, but Marquette is very well represented in the Chicagoland area.

Without a doubt there are many MU alumni in the Chicago area. However, I am not sure how many people not affiliated with MU would be intrested in Marquette basketball over, Northwestern, Ilinois, DePaul, Notre Dame. There are many people in Milwaukee that will follow MU just because it is in Milwaukee, not so in chicago.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
Without a doubt there are many MU alumni in the Chicago area. However, I am not sure how many people not affiliated with MU would be intrested in Marquette basketball over, Northwestern, Ilinois, DePaul, Notre Dame. There are many people in Milwaukee that will follow MU just because it is in Milwaukee, not so in chicago.
The MU following in Chicago is larger than you think. Of those schools you listed, ND is the only one with recent success similar to MU's. People follow local winners.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
Anybody with more than a 1,000 posts is a little dead inside. Amiright?

<sigh>  A-yup....

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »
The MU following in Chicago is larger than you think. Of those schools you listed, ND is the only one with recent success similar to MU's. People follow local winners.
Might I add MU is closer to Chicago than ND

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

Key word being local. Mu is not local to Chicago, sorry it just isn't.  I wouldn't follow Bear football, or DePaul if they started winning just because they are 90 miles south they are not local teams.

I respect your point of view but I think your perspective is skewing reality.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »

If you give 1,000,000 "unaffiliated" college-basketball viewers in Milwaukee and Chicago the option of watching NC State vs. North Carolina on the ACC Network or Iowa vs. Nebraska on the BTN, what percent is going to opt for the ACC game?  Of course, BTN has a monopoly for those viewers today (since ACC doesn't have their own network), but if/when the ACC does launch their own network, it's already going to erode BTN's ratings in their largest TV market (Chicago) by virtue of ND, and some of the BTN's other strongholds might be at risk as well (Philly, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, etc.) if the ACC, Big12, or SEC decided to take on some basketball-only schools.

Unlikely?  Extremely... or at least that's what the B? is hoping for.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
Key word being local. Mu is not local to Chicago, sorry it just isn't.  I wouldn't follow Bear football, or DePaul if they started winning just because they are 90 miles south they are not local teams.

I respect your point of view but I think your perspective is skewing reality.
Does ND command a portion of the Chicago market? Notre Dame and Marquette are effectively equidistant from Chicago.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
But when you're talking Big Ten/SEC type money, don't all basketball-only schools have diminishing returns? And how does MU bring significant money to the table?  No.  Think of it this way if the Big Ten makes $20M a team for every football team then every additional team needs to be able to bring in $20M or more otherwise it cuts into the profits of the other schools...aka diminishing returns.  There aren't that many teams which can do that and once all of those teams get consolidated into 4-5 conferences then the upside is very little.  Conversely, if a similar agreement as the Big East is reached where football schools get a larger chunk of the money than non-football members then a non-football school only needs add to bring in $5M before it is diminshing returns.

We don't add a new TV market. We don't add a large alumni base. We don't add academic prestige. In what possible way does Marquette add ANY value to the Big Ten?MU brings a history and a reputation amongst basketball fans.  If you notice, ESPN, CBS, etc have semi-regular stories on MU.  It is better for business to offer up MU/Wisco, MU/MSU, MU/Purdue then anyone playing Minnesota, Northwestern, and Penn State.  The Big Ten is able to offer more content which is more appealing to the average basketball fan.  This drives up the price of that content.  There are enough basketball fans out there which will watch any good game versus just the SEC, ACC, or Big Ten.  Comparing to other schools, what school would be more attractive to the Big Ten that is basketball only.  SMU, Houston, Memphis, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St. Johns, DePaul, UWM, Butler, UIC.  There aren't that many and if the ACC, Big 12, SEC starts to grab them then it makes MU more attractive.

With that said does MU actually go to the Big 10, I don't know but there is a very compelling argument that they would provide value for both basketball and olympic sports. If MU can bring in more than $5M to the table then they have paid for themselves and created value

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Do you have something to back that up, other than your arrogance

Wow, did someone hit your dog this morning or what?

My point is that people from Milwaukee overwhelmingly cheer for the Badgers.  You need not look any further than media.  Who gets more stories in the JS?  Who gets more TV time?  Check the ratings in Milwaukee for Marquette games versus UW@Madison games.

Marquette will always play second fiddle to UW in Wisconsin in terms of fans (short of winning an NCAA Championship).  But isn't that part of why we are who we are?  We are the smaller school; we don't have a football team; we are overlooked everywhere in this state and it gives us a chip on our shoulder.  We like it that way.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »
Wow, did someone hit your dog this morning or what?

My point is that people from Milwaukee overwhelmingly cheer for the Badgers.  You need not look any further than media.  Who gets more stories in the JS?  Who gets more TV time?  Check the ratings in Milwaukee for Marquette games versus UW@Madison games.

Marquette will always play second fiddle to UW in Wisconsin in terms of fans (short of winning an NCAA Championship).  But isn't that part of why we are who we are?  We are the smaller school; we don't have a football team; we are overlooked everywhere in this state and it gives us a chip on our shoulder.  We like it that way.

Agree,

and no one hit my dog this morning, but that made me laugh because when I lived in Texas and came into work in a bad mood, they would say "who pissed in your post toasties this morning."  Buzz may use that one himself.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
Agree,

and no one hit my dog this morning, but that made me laugh because when I lived in Texas and came into work in a bad mood, they would say "who pissed in your post toasties this morning."  Buzz may use that one himself.

lol

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
Does ND command a portion of the Chicago market? Notre Dame and Marquette are effectively equidistant from Chicago.

You are comparing apples to oranges. My point for mentioning ND is because they have a bigger folowing in Chicago than Marquette ever will. They are Notre Dame, hate them or not, they have a huge following nationwide. They are not on NBC every week because no one follows them.

Look, I agree there are many MU alumuni in Chicago I get it, but does the city as a whole excluding MU alumuni view Marquette as a local team and have a rooting interest in them? No way.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »
You are comparing apples to oranges. My point for mentioning ND is because they have a bigger folowing in Chicago than Marquette ever will. They are Notre Dame, hate them or not, they have a huge following nationwide. They are not on NBC every week because no one follows them.

Look, I agree there are many MU alumuni in Chicago I get it, but does the city as a whole excluding MU alumuni view Marquette as a local team and have a rooting interest in them? No way.

Very true, but you could say the same about Milwaukee.  The local support for Marquette in Milwaukee is pretty small.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
Very true, but you could say the same about Milwaukee.  The local support for Marquette in Milwaukee is pretty small.

I will say this, local support is smaller in Milwaukee than it should be for sure, but there is still pretty many non alumuni that are fans. Especially when they win as someone pointed out earlier

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
I will say this, local support is smaller in Milwaukee than it should be for sure, but there is still pretty many non alumuni that are fans. Especially when they win as someone pointed out earlier
That statement brings up the question, if MU was in the Big 10 would local support take a jump?

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
That statement brings up the question, if MU was in the Big 10 would local support take a jump?

Interesting question....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »

I disagree.  There are fans on both sides that yell very loudly at each other.  Very loudly.  They are the kind of people that want you to believe that their opinion is the only opinion because they yell the loudest.

I believe reality is that there are plenty of fans in wisc that pull for both teams.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
I disagree.  There are fans on both sides that yell very loudly at each other.  Very loudly.  They are the kind of people that want you to believe that their opinion is the only opinion because they yell the loudest.

I believe reality is that there are plenty of fans in wisc that pull for both teams.

I agree with Real.  The majority of folks who actively cheer against MU in MKE are Badger alums who can't bring themselves to cheer for the 'enemy' just like some of our folks can't support Badger football for some reason.  I'm convinced that the average southeastern WI guy pulls for both MU and UW hoops.  I personally know several 'unaffiliated' folks who are regular attendees at MU games because it is the local team, a good bargain, and a great time.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
Personally. i can not bring myself to cheer for the ugly rodent in any sport.  i would actually like to get behind the football team, but for .some reason i jiust cant do it

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
I agree with Real.  The majority of folks who actively cheer against MU in MKE are Badger alums who can't bring themselves to cheer for the 'enemy' just like some of our folks can't support Badger football for some reason.  I'm convinced that the average southeastern WI guy pulls for both MU and UW hoops.  I personally know several 'unaffiliated' folks who are regular attendees at MU games because it is the local team, a good bargain, and a great time.

Actually, the worst ones are the ones who went to UW Hyphen schools. The Madison alums I've encountered have been fine. There's banter, but nothing venomous. The ones who were too dumb to get in there are the worst offenders.