[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Fred Thompson a REAL conservative ?  (Read 6481 times)

Murffieus

• All American
Is Fred Thompson a REAL conservative ?
« on: July 10, 2007, 11:27:59 AM »
Not so according to the linked article below----says that the only legislation he ever participated in in a major way was McCain-Feingold-----also that he was largely disinterested in the day to day working of being a senator during his ONE & ONLY term as a senator.

All this begs the question----what has the guy done that qualifies him to be president?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1863648/posts

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Is Fred Thompson a REAL conservative ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
Not so according to the linked article below----says that the only legislation he ever participated in in a major way was McCain-Feingold-----also that he was largely disinterested in the day to day working of being a senator during his ONE & ONLY term as a senator.

All this begs the question----what has the guy done that qualifies him to be president?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1863648/posts

He has a higher conservative rating (as a Senator) then most of the field....if you want a TRUE CONSERVATIVE, then Duncan Hunter would be the guy.

Now, what has he done to qualify him as President....he's done the same thing Hillary, McCain, Obama, etc have done...which is be a US Senator....not exactly a great qualification.  He'll have to make his case to the people like everyone else.  Is mayor of New York City more of a qualification to be President?   All of that is up to the voters to decide.

As long as he's more conservative than Bush, I'll be happy...and that wouldn't be hard to do.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:53:07 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »
Is mayor of New York City more of a qualification to be President?   All of that is up to the voters to decide.
To answer your question ... yes.
Serving as the chief executive of an exceptionally diverse city of 8+ million to me seems like far better preparation for the White House than being a junior member of a 100-person club.

p.s. How long has Murff been on Mitt Romney's payroll? Or does he simply have a man crush on the meandering Mormon from Massachusstes?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 04:45:29 PM »
Is mayor of New York City more of a qualification to be President?   All of that is up to the voters to decide.
To answer your question ... yes.
Serving as the chief executive of an exceptionally diverse city of 8+ million to me seems like far better preparation for the White House than being a junior member of a 100-person club.

p.s. How long has Murff been on Mitt Romney's payroll? Or does he simply have a man crush on the meandering Mormon from Massachusstes?

You might be right Pakuni...that will be for the people to decide.  As CEO of a city that is important in my view, but I do wonder if that offsets some of the experience you gain from being in a higher level of gov't that addresses foreign policy issues, etc.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »
You might be right Pakuni...that will be for the people to decide.  As CEO of a city that is important in my view, but I do wonder if that offsets some of the experience you gain from being in a higher level of gov't that addresses foreign policy issues, etc.

The same people you say are mostly idiots?  ;)

Anyhow, foreign policy experience has proven to be largely overrated when it comes to winning the presidency.
Bush II, Clinton, Reagan and Carter all won without it.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:48:31 PM »
Duncan Hunter would be a better candidate than Thompson-----I mean here you have a guy in Thompson that was bored with governemet never showed any ambition to get involved and now because people are searching for a conservative he gets involved-----as conservative as I am ----I would not touch the guy with the proverbial 10 foot pole. We need a guy with energy who is in to it----not a guy if elected (unlikely) that would come in and be a stand in manakin while delagating most things to someone else!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:08:44 PM »

The same people you say are mostly idiots?  ;)

Anyhow, foreign policy experience has proven to be largely overrated when it comes to winning the presidency.
Bush II, Clinton, Reagan and Carter all won without it.

That's correct...those same people....and that especially includes the ones running this time around.  Idiots a plenty....that doesn't change the fact they may acquire more experience.   That being said, it's tough to be a Senator and become President as too many votes can come back to haunt you which is also why some of those other candidates did well running against ex Senators.

Not knowing New York city politics like I used to (I remember there were burough chiefs or whatever they called them along with their form of a city council), is the mayor of New York a "strong mayor" or "weak mayor" government setup?  I mean that in the classic text book question.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:10:40 PM »
Duncan Hunter would be a better candidate than Thompson-----I mean here you have a guy in Thompson that was bored with governemet never showed any ambition to get involved and now because people are searching for a conservative he gets involved-----as conservative as I am ----I would not touch the guy with the proverbial 10 foot pole. We need a guy with energy who is in to it----not a guy if elected (unlikely) that would come in and be a stand in manakin while delagating most things to someone else!

I've been saying a Thompson - Hunter ticket...would love it.  Don't think it will happen, but it would make me happy.  Hunter is my guy, but he can't win.  Thompson could probably win and he's to the right of McCain, Giuliani and Romney which is why I'd rather have him.  Romney I could deal with...Rudy and McCain....I'll just not vote for Presidency if that's my choices for the GOP.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:27:49 AM »
How about Romney/Hunter?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
Murff, if Romney is the candidate you will see an assault on the Mormon religion and Romney like you have never seen before.  When the media is done painting Mormons as the devil incarnate, the creators of cancer, and the cause of the ozone hole....he won't have a chance.

The media will not hurt Rudy as much ....Mitt doesn't get that benefit of the doubt.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
I don't think that will happen (50 years ago yes----today no)----if Romney can get elected as a Republican Governor in Massachusetts, he can get elected anywhere----this guy can sell. Get Romney on the stage with Hillary for 3-4 debates and it will be all over!