Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brey wants to keep Big East Rivalries  (Read 10042 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Brey wants to keep Big East Rivalries
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »
Either you're with us, or you're against agin us.
FIFY

Exact same thing I thought when I read the original.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »
We don't "need" ND.  

However, its important for the same reason as the same as the Cubs need the Cardinals and vice verse.  The Packers need the Vikes, and vice verse.  Ohio State needs Michigan, and vice verse.  The Red Sox need the Yankees, and vice verse.  Muhamed Ali needed Joe Frazier......(ok, maybe a bit of a stretch).

These are long standing rivalries that are just plain fun.  The fan base gets all worked up in anticipation of these rival games.  Its good for the sport, and we all get to get all worked up, before, during, and after these games.  

Grew up in SB.  Had season tickets going back to the Austin Carr days.  I remember when Al showed up at the AC&C when I was a junior in HS.  The crowd was livid.  Al was playing the crowd as no one else could.  That's when I said, eff the golden dome, I'm goin' to Milwaukee!

Full disclosure, it didn't hurt when I got served at the Ardmore as a 17 year old.  ;)

Just noticed, this was my 1000th official post!  Woo hoo.  Yee Haa!!  Holy Cow!

Full disclosure....had my 1000th post in the political thread earlier today that Topper axed....what took you soooo long, that thread was 47 pages by time you got to it! ;)  Real Chili for every one!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:17:27 PM by real chili 83 »

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
You're assuming that basketball has something to do with conference affiliation.  Understandable given that you are a Marquette fan, but just not true for football schools.

That is true in other cases, but since ND is staying independent in football it would seem basketball is the biggest single consideration in their affiliation, and that keeping Syracuse and Pitt while adding Duke, UNC, NC State and others was a factor.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
If Swarbrick called up and said: "I need a non football partner to enter into the ACC with..."

Whoever answered the phone at MU would have been in Greensboro before he could say, "....can we count you in?"

Now is not a time to act all high & mighty.  Plugging ND opposite of UW would be the best thing MU has done for STH's since joining the Big East.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
I think MU should still play them.  Have them home opposite the years that we play UW at home.
100% perfect idea.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 08:21:28 PM »
Keep them scheduled.  It'll put butts in the seats more than a cupcake and more than a generic BCS home-and-home deal and help the SOS when we're playing Houston and UCF in conference.

Donnybrook

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »
If only DePaul could get their stuff together people around here would forget about the MU/ND rivalry quickly.

Unfortunately, that is not happening any time remotely soon.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2012, 12:26:26 AM »
I doubt that, Marquette and ND have played 116 games only played more games against UWM. Rivalry against ND is way stronger than against Depaul.
Goal is National Championship

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »
I doubt that, Marquette and ND have played 116 games only played more games against UWM. Rivalry against ND is way stronger than against Depaul.

Plus, you know, DePaul sucks. Rivalries are made when teams are evenly matched and games are competitive. Volume means nothing.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
Plus, you know, DePaul sucks. Rivalries are made when teams are evenly matched and games are competitive. Volume means nothing.

How does one reconcile such a definition with the fact that the Bears are still considered a rival of the Packers?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
How does one reconcile such a definition with the fact that the Bears are still considered a rival of the Packers?

Because Lovie is 8-10 against the Packers. He's been competing against them even when his teams aren't as good. And while the Packers have been better for most of the past 20 years, the Bears dominated the 15 or so before that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
They aren't a rival anymore as far as I am concerned.
Maybe not, but I still can't stand them.

feedback